Salon Beauty Summer Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Carters PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on March 9, 2014
Three shortcomings:

1) There's no way to attach a tripod (like one of those cool tiny tabletop tripods for taking "selfies"). Or a handle (great for active conditions, like kayaking/boating/water-skiing/bicycling etc.)

2) Yes it keeps moisture out if it isn't a humid day when you put the camera in the housing. There is no room for a desiccant pack, so if the door is closed on a damp day, the window fogs when the camera contacts cool water. Don't take this thing on that exotic island or jungle vacation or your snaps will come out all fuzz.

3) The door latch is very difficult to use unless you have long fingernails, your fingers are dry, and use two hands. (Other Canon underwater housings have a decent latching mechanism as do others from Nikon, Panasonic etc.).
------------------
If you must have this thing, check out this floating lanyard, also sold by Amazon: "Chums Waterproof Camera Float" http://www.amazon.com/Chums-30046-Waterproof-Camera-Float/dp/B003CK10DG/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1394391900&sr=8-15&keywords=waterproof
|88 comments|Report abuse
on October 19, 2012
When you figure you spend about $10 on a waterproof disposable camera, and then another $10 or so processing it, this case just really makes sense - it will pay for itself after just a few uses. I was really, really impressed with how easy it was to snap on and to use the controls. The case didn't seem like much, but it was leakproof and even being handled by a two-year old in the pool didn't accidentally pop it open. The pictures turned out great! I'm glad it came with a wriststrap, just a nice bonus. Easy to pop the camera in and out. The only downside I guess could be that you have to take the strap off the camera before putting it into the case each time, but for us that's not a big deal because we're not in the water every day, and it's really worth the minute it takes to switch it around to use the case. I wasn't sure I could justify the expense for this, but considering we'll get a lot of use out of it, I'm glad I did, and I wish I had bought it sooner.
review image
2 people found this helpful
on June 20, 2012
I used this product on 2 water vacations. I was pleasantly surprised by the great quality/detail of the pictures taken. It was easy to incorporate my camera in the waterproof casing. I did noticed that the casing scratched very easily when I attempted to clean it after the first use (salt water snorkeling) and was quite concerned that that picture quality would be lost. As it turned out, the pictures turned out fine and the waterproof casing continued to perform as advertised. Because I was concerned about the negative reviews, I did perform underwater pre-testing of the sealed casing without my camera first so as not to ruin my camera. This really is a great product which allowed my to capture great underwater shots.
4 people found this helpful
on December 28, 2013
Had this for a few years now and so far we haven't had an issue. Used it at the beach and pool. Because I'm concerned that sand might compromise the gasket, when we're taking it to the beach I put the camera in it before we get there, rinse it off after we leave, then take the camera out. Maybe I'm a bit neurotic but so far no problems.
on January 8, 2013
When I first got the item I decided to try it empty as opposed to subjecting my camera to it and just going for it. I filled a pitcher full of water and left the empty closed camera case underwater for about 20 minutes. When I removed the case it was 100% dry on the inside so I figured I was good to go for what little I was going to have my actual camera underwater. I have no idea if things will change the more I open and close it, but for now it works great. I was looking more for something to take to the beach/pool and be "splash proof" so I can carry it around while doing things in those areas, instead of submersing it for underwater photos. I think if I want to do that then at some point I will simply replace it with a completely waterproof camera instead of a case. For now, for what I need, great, great product!!!
on April 8, 2014
I have taken so many underwater videos and photos on Costa Rica and Caribbean trips - some snorkeling and they always come out amazing since I bought this last year. Not once have a drop of water gone inside. I will probably replace the rubber gasket as suggested every year (have not done that yet).
on December 18, 2014
absolutely delivered on my expectations. Solid casing despite being tossed around in water excursions. The buttons were easy to use, pictures came out great. I wish my camera was still working, would continue to use this otherwise.
on September 17, 2012
I purchased this case before my Honeymoon to protect my camera as we were going on some snorkeling trips. I have to say this is one of the best products I've ever purchased, and further affirms my love for Canon products. I have to admit I was nervous as everyone is, but you have no reason to be. It's built solid and never leaked once. I can see the points of making sure to rinse it off after use in salt water, and replace the rubber ring every year. Get this product if you want great photos and don't want to buy a whole other waterproof camera!
on July 17, 2012
This was a great and inexpensive case for my trip to Hawaii. It was perfect for snorkeling and the very wet sail boat trip we went on! Our pictures and videos turned out great. If you just want the case for light use then no point in paying hundreds of dollars for the fancier one, in my opinion.
on April 20, 2012
Bought this underwater housing to take with us to Mexico. We were in the Akumal area which is known for the sea turtles that hang out there, so we thought we'd try this out to see if we could get any good pictures. So, did we get any good pictures? No... we got GREAT pictures and video! Also took it with us when we went to Xel-Ha to snorkel and explore the area. I left the housing on the whole time we were there in and out of the water. The pictures we took out of the water with the housing still on looked just like normal. Easy to use, and had no problems. Plus the price is great compared to many other models for a camera around the same size. The only slightly negative thing about this is that it's sort of hard to see the screen when you get in the water, especially if it's sunny out. But I would imagine that's going to be the same with any underwater camera. Just make sure you have the settings to where you want them before you get in and go and shouldn't really have any problems. I would definitely recommend this to anybody looking for an underwater camera. You can spend just as much on a crappy underwater digital camera or you can use your good camera with the housing and get some really nice pictures!
review imagereview imagereview image
2 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.