Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Canon RC-1 Wireless Remote Control for Select DSLR Cameras
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now

on October 5, 2000
This remote uses a small infrared transmitter to trip the shutter of many of the EOS line of cameras (EOS 10, Elan, Elan II/IIE, EOS IX and possibly others). I bought one 5 or 6 years ago and I haven't had to change the battery yet. Unlike wired remote shutter releases, the RC1 doesn't require the user to set anything up -- just point the remote at the camera front and press the button. The RC1 clips onto a holder that can be threaded through your camera strap so it's always nearby when needed. It measures (inches) 2.25 x 1 x .5 (length x width x height) and weighs not much more than one ounce.
The RC1 as two controls on it: a small slider switch and a larger button to trip the shutter. If you're wearing gloves, the slider switch is near impossible to adjust but the shutter button is easy to hit. The slider offers three settings: Lock (disables the shutter button), regular and 2-second delay. The regular setting works just like the shutter release on your camera although you can't press it halfway to autofocus. The 2-second delay locks up the mirror when you hit the shutter button and then trips the shutter 2 seconds later. This is very useful for longer exposures or shooting with telephoto lenses.
I've found the RC1 to be plenty sturdy (I shoot mostly outdoors and tend to be pretty hard on my equipment) and easy enough to unclip and operate with one hand. I have only two complaints with it: you need to point the remote at the front of the camera -- the IR sensor is right next to the shutter release -- which can be tricky when using wide angle lenses as you don't want to include your remote in the picture, and the RC1 doesn't provide any feedback that the shutter had been tripped -- I often find myself peering back through the viewfinder to see if the mirror is up or keeping my ear near the camera to listen for the film advance. This is a far simpler remote than the ones Canon offers for their top-end camera but it's also far less expensive and heavy. I only wish the RC1 worked for the EOS3!
11 comment| 296 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon November 10, 2006
I decided to get this after buying the Rebel XTi and already owning the Rebel XT (this works with both.) I already had the corded shutter release which was nice when doing long exposures or macro work where even a little camera shake can make a huge difference. But this goes to a new level, you can set the camera up get everything in focus and then step back and take as many shots as you want without any risk of touching the camera. Make sure to cover the eyepiece when using this so stray light doesn't ruin your exposure. This is also handy when you want to take pictures with you in them. I have even used it with two cameras at once to get multiple angles of the same shot. I am thinking about setting up a blind and setting up the camera on a tripod to try to get some close up pictures of wildlife that would not be possible otherwise. Basically if you ever have a need to take pictures without holding the camera this is your solution.
22 comments| 100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 7, 2008
Grabbing one of these for myself, since I found my camera on the list, at the canon site. Here's the list, if it is of help to anyone. Or you can visit the canon site, find your camera and check the accessories list:

Digital Rebel XT
Digital Rebel XTi
ELPH 370Z
EOS Digital Rebel
EOS Digital Rebel XT (Black)
EOS Digital Rebel XT EF-S 17-85mm Lens Kit (Black)
EOS Digital Rebel XT EF-S 18-55 Kit
EOS Digital Rebel XT EF-S 18-55mm Kit (Silver)
EOS Digital Rebel XTi EF-S 18-55 Kit
EOS Digital Rebel XTi EF-S 18-55mm Kit (Silver)
EOS ELAN 7/7E
EOS Rebel T2 EF 28-90mm III Kit
EOS Rebel Ti
EOS Rebel XSi
EOS Rebel XSi EF-S 18-55IS Kit
EOS Rebel XSi EF-S 18-55mm IS Kit (Silver)
EOS Rebel XSi Kit (Silver)
Limited Edition Digital Rebel
Limited Edition Digital Rebel kit 18-55mm Kit
Sure Shot Classic 120
Sure Shot Z135
Sure Shot Z90W
55 comments| 100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 9, 2004
I received this product a day ago and am happy with it. It's simple and reliably does what it's supposed to do. I bought it primarily for 'bulb' exposures [with my D-Rebel], but, of course, it is also useful when you want to avoid camera shake or to get yourself into the shot.
As others have noted, it is extremely light (15g) and tiny. Those reasons are why I picked this remote over the RC-5 and RS-60E3. Also, there is a camera strap clip included, so it will be quickly available. Canon is even kind enough to include batteries. This is definitely the one to buy.
0Comment| 129 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 16, 2001
When something works as it is supposed to, and then it also has an elegant form to it, I will always give it five stars. I have used this remote a lot, and this is actually my second one for a second Canon camera. I consider it to be an essential tool for the camera. Indeed, it probably should come as a standard feature. If you have any use for a remote at all, don't hesitate to buy it. The batteries last well and are a common hearing aid battery, easily found in stores, cheap to replace when you need it, if you need it. Mine last years! It clips to the camera strap, is innocuous when it is there, and therefore it is always handy. I use my camera for work and pleasure, and this item is indispensable for all of it. When we are traveling my wife likes to have photos of us taken together, and with a small portable tripod or monopod, I can usually prop the camera up and get a shot of us standing together without having to bother a passer-by who will usually screw up the photo anyway. You press the button to how long you want it to "lapse" before it actually snaps the photo, that being adjustable, giving you quite a bit of time to pose if you want it. I even took photos at my own wedding using it. Are you getting it yet? Very useful, flexible, well designed.
on July 12, 2007
Pros:

It really is wireless
Can be set to take the photo immediately or timed
It's small and includes a neck strap cover to attach to camera's neck strap
I have heard this remote will work with the new Canon 5D Mark II (Will keep you posted when I find out)

Cons:

Range is pretty short, you must be close
Must be in front of camera to use
Must point at camera to use
Must set camera to timer mode to use (Note remote can release shutter immediately)
Must wakeup camera manually before you can use
Can change the exposure slightly in dark or night shots
Mirror lockup mode will not work with remote!

It works but...

It works but I really have a problem with the several different unanticipated things that happen when you use it. Please note all use of this remote testing and use was on a Canon Digital Rebel XTi camera using the included 18-55mm kit lens and a Canon 70-200mm 2.8 Lens on a tripod in RAW mode at ISO 100 your results may vary.

Overview:

I bought this remote to trip the shutter while taking photos of birds at my bird feeder without being next to the camera and to trip the shutter when shooting fireworks and taking Astrophotography (photos of the night sky, moon and stars etc.) Having to be in front of the camera to take a photo is one of the biggest problems I have. I BOUGHT this so I could be behind the camera and away from the birds so I would not scare them. Why didn't Canon put a sensor on the back of the camera?? Or make this a radio controlled sensor?

Self-timer mode to use:

The other problem is having to put the camera in timer mode to use it. After you put the camera in timer mode and you are using the remote on immediate exposure mode it will indeed take the photo when you press the button. HOWEVER, if you are in the timer mode and you happen to be up next to the camera and see a bird at the feeder and press the camera's shutter button you will rudely find that the camera is in timer mode and will not take the photo for 10 seconds! You have to use the remote to get an immediate exposure.

Sleep mode:

Also, if you wait too long to take the shot, the camera will go back into sleep mode. Guess WHAT? You can't wake up the camera using the remote. You have to walk up to the camera, scare all the birds away press the cameras shutter button to wake up the camera then the remote is active again.

Use a mirror:

I did find a round about way to take exposures of the birds from behind the camera by propping a mirror up in front of the camera and aimed back at the camera. The remote signal would bounce off the mirror and back and the camera and work.

Low Light Astrophotography etc:

Another problem is photography in low light conditions. The exposure is OK in bright light, but, when using the remote in the dark while the camera is on a tripod I have found the illumination from the remote is bright enough to affect the camera meter and therefore underexpose what you are taking a photo of when shooting Astrophotography etc.. Therefore I am going to have to either return this wireless remote and purchase the wired remote or keep this remote for self portraits and also buy a wired remote. Please note you can't see the light from the remote but the camera's meter must be able to.

Self portraits:

I thought this was were the little remote would shine, but guess what? You have to point the stupid thing at the camera for it to work!! You look a little weird in a self portrait holding this little remote in your hand and trying to point it at the camera without being conspicuous. I think it's actually better to use the camera's built in timer.

Low light photography exposure:

I thought I could use this remote to trigger my photos when I use the mirror lockup function so the camera would not shake. Guess what?? The mirror lockup mode does not work when using the REMOTE! When you trigger the camera using the remote it takes a photo normally with the exposure happening immediately after the mirror goes up causing the image to blur anyway.

10-24-2008 Update:

I have a new Canon 5D Mark II on order and I heard that it can use this remote. That probably means that the new 60D when it comes out will be able to use this remote. Will let you know when I get the 5D Mark II if this is so.
11 comment| 76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 4, 2000
This remote is a great accessory for the Canon Elan II/IIe. It's a very convenient way to do astrophotography, where you set the camera on "bulb" and leave the shutter open for 30 seconds or more. One push of the button on the remote opens the shutter, the next push closes it; you never even have to touch the camera. It's also great for taking group pictures when you want to be in the picture, and don't want to race into position to beat the camera's timer. The RC-1 is small and compact, and fits nicely onto a holder on the camera strap. My only complaint is that you have to hold it in front of the camera to use it, which can be inconvenient at times. Overall, though, it's a relatively cheap, convenient gadget to have.
on May 9, 2004
Easy quick way to remotely operate the shutter for my Digital Rebel. Works either as an instant release or allows for a slight time delay after pressing the button. Much easier than running back to the camera for taking family photos..!
on August 22, 2007
I bought this for my Rebel a while back and kept it for my XT. I use it for Macro shots on a tripod (so I don't introduce camera shake). I use it at night for long exposures (lots of second curtain flash sequences with the kids and flashlights...).

I use it for family photos where I want to get into the picture (and use the 2 second timer).

I just found out it doesn't work on the xxD line (ie the 40D).
TOP 100 REVIEWERon December 23, 2005
this is not usable with the EOS 20D camera
66 comments| 73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse