Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Canon Lasers imageCLASS MF4570dw Wireless Monochrome Printer with Scanner, Copier and Fax (5259B007AA)
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Dolly Parton Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports STEM

on November 11, 2011
My Environment: 100% Windows 7 PCs, an iPad and two iPhones.

As a professional consultant within the print industry, I did a lot of research for what to put in my own home office related to print devices. I reached out to vendors, got corporate VAR pricing, but in the end, I saw that this was sold for $212.00 online with no shipping cost and jumped on it.

The device is fast, quiet and efficient. The toner won't last too long, but there are plenty of options for buying new or reman toner for the device at a fair price so I am less concerned with that as I typically do more scanning than printing.

The rating is for the device itself. The quality is excellent and the speed from energy saver is very fast (which since I pay for the power in my home, is important to me).

PROS:
Included duplex is fast and quiet(ish) and I haven't had a jam yet (and nearly all the prints were duplex)
First Page Out time is short
The wireless network was fairly easy to configure and is reliable.
Network Scanning utility is very good. I love being able to scan to my computer from the MFD without needing to do anything at the PC itself.
Good Scan, Print and Copy quality (haven't used fax...)
Its small and doesn't make strange noises when I don't expect it (some MFDs do annoying things, like calibrate, when idle).

CONS:
Does not have Airprint support. I use a small laptop as a server, so its not an issue after I installed Fingerprint (google it, its a real great solution)
Low Toner Yield (always an issue at this small device and this low a price)
Installation required disable of UAC

As good as I feel about this device, if this device was being sold for more than say $275 (shipped) I would have possibly chose a different model. The lack of Airprint is a big deal for me as my family and I use my iPad quite a bit.

TECHNICAL NOTE: The setup, once I turned off User Account Controls (which is on by default in Windows Vista and 7), worked great. That lesson, however, took over an hour to figure out. If you are going to install this device on a Windows Vista or 7 PC, turn off UAC (search for UAC in the start menu), reboot and install. You can turn UAC back on after the install completes.
55 comments| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 5, 2011
This is a great printer/copier/fax machine and it's much smaller in size than the brother laser printer we used to use. So it's saving us on space and does the same exact thing the Brother did. This new machine says the toner is rated for 2100 copies. The brand new canon 128 cartridge we just bought last month is already out (a real one not the refurbished kind) and it only lasted 1675 copies! If that's the case and if each cartridge is going to be like that then I'm gonna need a new cartridge about every month for my busy small business. That's ~12 new toner cartridges a year and at $80 each and that seems like a lot of money. Everything else about this laser printer is great. I just wish the toner cartridge lasted longer.
on November 12, 2011
After much research and debate between this and the more upmarket Brother MFP's, decided this was a better deal for our home use application. Installation of the software and drivers went without a hitch in Win7, but OS X was another story. I configured our printer for a hardwired LAN connection with a static IP. This can prevent troubleshooting issues in the future. In short, download and install the packages (scan gear and print/fax drivers for OS X), then go to system preferences-->printers and then add the printer. Use the canon driver (search for it) and specify the IP of the printer using LPD. Specify port number 515 (default canon setting). Now for the scanning piece. What is NOT obvious is that when attempting to run the MF toolbox app in OS X, it will not open. But if you look carefully at the toolbar (while MF toolbox is the active window) at the top of the screen, there is an option to add the scanner. Specify the static IP you chose earlier, and you are in business. The Mac will now appear as a computer destination on the MFP display. This is not clearly discussed in the documentation AT ALL.

Print quality looks great, the build quality is excellent, and the footprint is compact. Network based faxing is awesome. The web-based configuration (use that handy static IP to access it) is much quicker and easier than using the device's physical controls. I would not recommend this device for impatient people or those that are not familiar with configuration of network based devices. If using the device as a USB printer, setup should be much more straightforward.
on January 28, 2012
I bought this printer because I was looking for a wallet friendly all-in-one printer at home that also serves my occasional need for faxing and scanning. My canon PIXMA , I found , was too expensive as far as buying ink is concerned.

Overall, I am satisfied with the printer and believe its a good value for money.

Print quality is OK, print speed is fast and for a few pages documents, when I get off my desk and reach to the other end of the room, the printing is already done. The printer itself does not occupy much space and is fairly easy to use. The automatic energy saving mode is also helpful.Installing the printer is pretty easy and one just needs to follow the instructions on the supplied software.

However, there are a few issues that I wish would have been better. First of all, when setting up the wireless network, for some reason, any letter besides ABCDEF cannot be inputted as the WEP key. I tried a lot of things, but was not able to bring letters besides ABCDEF on the screen. Numbers and symbols are OK. This forced me to change a few letters of my password ( to exclude any letters other than ABCDEF), and subsequently make the changes not only to the wireless router, but to all the wireless devices in my house.The second issue is the quality of the scan when scanning in B/W document mode(300 dpi). The quality was pathetic. So, I resorted to scanning the B/W document using the color mode which significantly improved the quality of the scan, but I ended up having a file size much larger than what I wanted. I do not use this printer as a primary scanner so its not an issue for me, but might be to others.

Despite these few shortcomings (any printer will have a few without doubt)I am happy with the purchase and will recommend it to others who are looking for a printer-centric all in one machine.
55 comments| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 18, 2012
I bought this wireless printer as a replacement for a Canon MF4350d because I have a PC and my wife has a Mac and we keep having to switch out the USB cables on it so that she could use it or I could use it. I figured one wireless printer would solve that problem by allowing us both to access it without having to unplug cables. While it did solve that problem, it created a new one.

With the 4350d, I could scan and print from my computer without touching any buttons on the printer itself, which is as it should be. But with the 4570dw, you have to physically change modes on the printer to switch between printing and scanning. To scan, you have to hit the Scan button, select Remote scanning, and press Ok. To print, you have to hit the Copy button. This may seem like a minor nuisance but it makes no sense to me why the printer itself cannot figure out whether it should print or scan depending on what the attached computer is telling it to do.

I thought I must be missing something or doing something wrong, but Canon support confirmed: "Before you can scan from your computer with the MF4570dw, you always have to place the machine in the Remote Scanner mode in order to proceed with the scan. It is the same whether you are connected with a USB cable or on the network. That is the way the MF4570dw works. If you want to print from your computer and you still have the MF4570 in the Remote Scanner mode, you would have to press the STOP or COPY button to cancel the scan mode."

So, basically, I traded having to switch between computers with having to switch between modes. It's a small inconvenience, but the poor design choice is enough for me to not recommend this printer to anyone who, like me, does a lot of printing and scanning.
on October 17, 2012
As a graduate student, I needed a wireless laser printer, that would save me money compared to printing at the library.

Setup with Mac was relatively painless - it took me an hour or so. The only thing to note is to be careful with removing all the colored sealing tape on the various parts. The wireless function is awesome, as I like to work in various parts of the apartment.

Overall, this is a solid, fast, quiet printer and scanner (I don't really use the fax function). I was really impressed that printing even large PDFs in duplex doesn't take that much time at all - compared to my old Canon MF color printer. That one lasted only 5 years, and I really wish technology wasn't built for planned obsolescence, as I like the familiarity of old, dependable things. Hopefully this one will be more durable.

My only complaint so far:

The Canon 128 toner cartridge that came with the printer didn't last very long - less than 2 months. While I do a lot of printing of articles and text (no pictures, unless images within an article), its certainly nowhere near the "typical print yield" quoted of 2100 pages.
on May 8, 2012
When I finally got this running with a wireless connection it was great, but getting there was difficult. No matter what I did, I could not get this to work via the usb connection on my win 7 64 bit laptop. I contacted Microsoft and Canon and neither could offer a solution. I tried disabling UAC as others have described but that didn't work either. So as long as you have a wireless setup, this should be fine.
Shipping was ultra fast. I got the unit delivered in about 3 days from when I ordered and had not specified a rush delivery. I was impressed.
on February 23, 2013
I don't know how I got along with just a plain Laserjet before getting this. It is a full-featured printer and copier, and a middling-but-adequate scanner. I haven't tried using the fax yet, as I mostly use eFax. It does have lots of options, including the toner-saving setting that I mostly use when printing off the internet. Have yet to exhaust the initial, small toner cartridge.

And I LOVE LOVE LOVE that it is wireless! Frees up space around my computer desk, and cuts down on all that tangling.
on August 31, 2012
Amazon's price was really good, the product came quickly, and performed perfectly.Canon Lasers imageCLASS MF4570dw Wireless Monochrome Printer with Scanner, Copier and Fax (5259B007AA)

I already had an MF 4450 (the little brother version that only prints 1-sided and has no wireless connectivity) at my vacation location and knew it had really superior print quality. Forget about those ratings that say this family of copier/printer/scanner/faxes have only so-so graphics. Both the MF 4450 and this MF 4570dw have superior quality to any of my HP devices: HP Laserjet IIIP, HP Laserjet 1200, and several HP Laserjet 1020s, plus a number of different HP All-In-One Inkjets.

Because my main desktop computer does not have wireless conectivity I had to set up my MF 4570dw as a LAN device. It works flawlessly as a scanner, printer, copier, and fax machine for anything that talks to my LAN.

I had bought my wife an iPad and wanted her to be able to print to our MF 4570dw. However, I had no AirPrint capability. Taking the advice from another reviewer, I found the program "FINGERPRINT2" on the Internet, downloaded it, and activated it on my desktop (primary) PC. When that PC is on Fingerprint2 makes my desktop act as a print server for any printer on my LAN. So, now my wife can print from any iPad or iPhone directly to our MF 4570dw --- double sided if she wishes. (Update 5-18-2013: We can also print wirelessly to this printer from our laptops anywhere in the house.)[It costs $19.99 to upgrade the free trial version to the paid version which prints without a "FingerPrint" watermark superimposed, but I believe the capability is worth every penny to be able to AirPrint to any printer on my LAN.]

One problem some reviewrs had with this wonderful device: the Canon 128 cartridges are fairly expensive ($82 to $97)for an output of about 2100 pages. However, you will find that if you read over replacement cartridge reviews carefully you will find one or two seem to have provided very good service for much less (often with free shipping for orders over $50).

Bottom Line: If you want a LaserJet All-In-One that does just about anything you might want, this is your baby. Highly Recommended!
on November 30, 2012
This printer works good and was a replacement for a similar printer whose network card died. It was a bit challenging to put on my network. The Netgear router and my security configuration could be contributing, so I cannot put all the blame Canon. The point is, a user without network security (crazy) would likely have no problems. Anyway, after a few hours, it was functioning well on the network. About a month ago it suddenly stopped working on the network. I don't remember if it was after a Windows update or router firmware update, but the printer says it is connected and yet the network doesn't see it. The Fing app on my Android phone sees it on the network, but the ping fails. I am very experienced with IT and tried every trick out there (disabling firewalls and AV, network commands, re-enter key, alt network, direct, drivers, Windows settings, etc.) without success. At least the USB connection works well until I have time to figure this out. I am beginning to wonder about the network card in Canon printers.

See 1 answered question