Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Can't Sell Dope Forever
Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports

on July 29, 2006
Dead Prez (Stic.man, M-1) & the Outlawz (E.D.I., Young Noble, Kastro) deliver a short mix tape with "Can't Sell Dope Forever". Being a fan of both groups I have been anticipating this one. Outlawz affiliate (sometimes credited as a member) Stormey makes a number of on point performances on this release. The Outlawz, Dead Prez and Stormey get things started on a strong note with "1 Nation" and the title track "Can't Sell Dope Forever" - both cuts have the team looking for better ways while kicking street knowledge. One of the things I like about Stic.man, is he is a gifted lyricist who can sing to, and remains very much in touch with the streets. Stic.man tells a sad and powerful story of drug addiction on "Like A Window". The Lawz, Dead Prez and Stormey take their audience through the daily grind on "Thuggin' on the Blokkk" and then M-1 & Messy Marv collaborate over a laidback beat on the solid "U Aint The Only 1". Stormey, Scott Lo & Erica shine on "Searchin", outstanding lyrics and a smooth chorus from Erica make this cut a track with replay. Tha Outlawz, Stormey and Malachi provide another standout with "Fork In The Road", 2Pac's vocals are sampled very briefly at the beginning of the track, and the Lawz & Co do him proud on this cut delivering introspective lyrics. Stic.man & Ms. Nora (Stic's Mama) then drop "Believe" which is a follow up lyrically to "Like A Window". Young Noble, Layzie Bone and Stic.man drop some tight verses on the album's closer "Came Up". Dead Prez & Tha Outlawz provide a quality release with "Can't Sell Dope Forever", I will look forward to seeing these two groups collaborate again.
on January 19, 2007
DEAD PREZ & OUTLAWZ PRESENTS:

CAN'T SELL DOPE FOREVER

It took the longest time but finally two of the greatest groups in rap history have come together to record an album. Dead Prez have always been known for their political and cultural views, as were the Outlawz are most likely remembered for their diss tracks recorded with mentor 2pac, they as well have always voice their opinions and views on the same topics Dead Prez are famous for.

1.INTRO-just a guy with a screwed voice saying the name of the cd

2.1 NATION-after a sample of a guy talking about gang violence a nice beat from STIC.MAN blesses your ears, and you are immediately hyped about this release. Then the Outlawz, Dead Prez, and STORMEY all start spitting about how everybody in the ghetto should come together and stop killing each other. This is a strong start to the album.4.5/5

3.CAN'T SELL DOPE FOREVER-next up is the title track, and this one isn't as strong as the first song on the cd. But this song is a good track, and has some of the best lyrics on the album as the Laws, Stic.Man, and Stormey each trade verses. EDI comes threw with the production on this track.4/5

4.LIKE A WINDOW-Stic.Man comes very nice on this track with an excellent beat, the beat is very reflective sounding. Plus Stic comes nice on the verses with a song about his brother, and ghetto life, plus the hook is very nice. This is one of the best songs on the entire album.5/5

5.SURRONDINGS-a quick interlude

6.THUGGIN ON THE BLOCKKK-the exact line up on verses and production from track 3 return with an even better outing. All of the verses are on point and the hook by EDI is real nice. Plus the beat from EDI is perfect for night riding. This is a nice track that even the casual listener will enjoy.4.5/5

7.U AIN'T THE ONLY 1-next up we come to a track featuring M1 only from Dead Prez who also produces this track. In fact his beat is very reflective, and the perfect backdrop him and MESSY MARV. This track is about not feeling sorry for your self because every body has problems not just you, so you can find help and people who can relate to you.4.5/5

8.SEARCHIN-CHUCK P, AND EDDIE COLDFINGERS drop and excellent instrumental, and fits the concept of the song perfectly. Stormey and SCOTT LO do an excellent job on this song, and ERICA sounds great on the hook.5/5

9.DEDICATION-interlude

10.FORK IN THE ROAD-this is the absolute best song on the entire album. EDI did an extremely good job with the production on this track, with the guitar in the beat and the samples of PAC in the song. Also MALACHI does a great job on the chorus with some excellent vocals. The Outlawz and Stormey lay some great verses, which only contributes to the greatness of this song, I wish there would have been a video for this song.5/5

11.BELIEVE-Stic.Man returns to drop verses, the hook, and provides the electric bouncy instrumental. This is another great song that all people should enjoy, as it is an influential song. Plus Stic's mother sings at the end.4.5/5

12.WRBG-interlude

13.HOLDIN ON-the Outlawz return along side CHAE, and Stormey spitting over a Stic.Man production. This song echo's the sentiments pronounced on the last track, and number 7. The hook on this one is nice to.4.5/5

14.CAME UP-Outlawz, Dead Prez, and BONE THUGS come threw on this one as one of each group comes threw. YOUNG NOBLE kicks it off with a nice verse, followed by a verse from Stic.Man, and lastly is LAYZIE BONE stealing the show as he sounds the most natural over TAI ROTAN's eerie instrumental. The hook from all three is nice, especially the last part of the song.4/5

Over all this was a nice release from these two influential groups, though obviously it wasn't what it should have been.
on May 16, 2013
Great album, it should have received more airplay and promotion. Good message throughout the album! Dead Prez is a great rap duo. And I've always loved the diversity of The Outlawz. Both need to come out with new albums. I would purchase instantly.
on September 22, 2006
I'm just saying that Fork in the Road is the best song on the cd and that there is more Outlawz than Dead Prez flavor on the album. I bought it right when it came out and I am generally pleased with it though it sometimes becomes a little too "street" for my taste. A solid effort for hip hop in a year that is just dismay for us fans.
on September 22, 2006
Real quick and to the point this is average at best. I am a Dead Prez and Outlaw fan, but this seems rushed. I know they could have done better than this. M1 from Dead Prez is not on most of the album and Kastro from Outlawz is not to present either. They put a song on here from Get Free or Die Tryin'(maybe for those who did not hear it) and that kind of bothered me.

I know it's a mix cd and not an official album but still they could have done better. I can't lie it has grown on me a little more now, cause when I first got it I was like this is whack. Hardcore fans should get it, if you are new to both groups get something else, this is a bad representation of them.
on August 22, 2006
Not bad. Definitely better than the mainstream stuff out there. There's one thing that bothers me though. I like the can't sell dope forever basic premise of the album but the hip hop community still can't seem to shake the victim mentality. Just when the take responsibility for your actions message is about to be driven home there's still a hint of I'm being oppressed or held down and the only way I can keep up or get ahead is selling dope or some other hustle. This is evident as far back as Ice Cube's "Us" on the Death Certificate album and also Brand Nubian's "Just Don't Learn". All have a nice take a look at yourself and your actions message but all still contain that racial conspiracy theory slant to it. Like part of a lyric on this album mentions "we don't own no planes, we don't own no boats" referring to the drug trade. No we don't own the planes or the boats but we damn sure own the Escalades with 20+ inch spinners and DVD players which by the way cost more than most of the single engine planes or the boats that bring the stuff here. Nobody has a gun to anyone's head making them stand on that corner.

Don't get me wrong, It's not like I don't think prejudice, bigotry and racism doesn't still exist. It does and always will. It's just an ugly side of our human nature but it can't continue to be an excuse for an entire segment of the population not to achieve some level of success. The harsh truth is that poverty is a state of mind and there's always another way out other than slangin'. Bill Cosby is hitting the nail on the head with his comments lately. I like the conscious lyrics in this album but I just wish we could let go of this I can't achieve because "somebody" won't let me excuse, It's the 21st century people. Too many other people have done it, you can too. It's all about choices. Anyway I much rather this than the usual ignorant thuggin', pimpin', slangin' crap you hear all day on the radio. Keep it up Dead Prez I'll keep listening.

P.S. This is from a 33 year old brotha who has been around long enough to see hip hop go from Sugar Hill Gang to Eric B & Rakim to (God help us) Lil' John.
on June 5, 2009
This was the biggest let down ever after the 1st two Dead Prez albums I was sold, but this one has maybe three good songs the others are kind of weak and lack the same black nationalism that the two previous Dead Prez albums had. I would not recommend this album but I still would recommend buying their other albums because they are still jamming today. and what outlaws was these, they didn't sould like the outlawz from 2Pac. These outlawz was wack