Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Ingrid Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 106 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 13, 2008 5:02:15 PM PST
Mad Ludwig says:
Has anyone been able to pre-order this with a PO Box delivery address? I've tried several times, and I'm always told I can't due to "geographic restrictions" (my box is in the US), although amazon doesn't seem to have trouble sending the $100 deluxe edition to a PO Box. Talking with customer support's been no help.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2008 6:51:50 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Aug 21, 2010 1:37:14 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2008 2:14:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 26, 2008 2:17:37 PM PST
I just pre-ordered it to be sent to a PO Box, and it worked fine. I've had that problem with items before, though (especially electronics). Which seems kind of ridiculous because I live in a rural area where home mail delivery isn't available. So even if I give them my street address, the post office will just put it in my PO Box anyway! But to save them the trouble of looking up my box number and to help make sure the package doesn't go astray, I started putting my street address on the first address line and "Box ####" on the second line (not "PO Box", just "Box"). That way, Amazon's system thinks it's sending the package to a street address, but the people at the post office still know what box to put it in. You might give that a try if you keep having trouble ordering with a PO Box. (It might ask you if you want to correct the address to read "PO Box ####" instead. Just tell it not to.)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2008 2:24:19 PM PST
Mad Ludwig says:
Seems as if they've fixed it; tried it, and now it allows me to pre-order to a PO Box. Thanks for the tip, though, Paprika!

Posted on Dec 8, 2009 3:09:43 PM PST
Beelissa says:
I have had this trouble quite a bit. It's becoming my pet peeve, and it isn't just Amazon. Amazon does have some items that they say can't be shipped to PO Boxes, though they can't offer an explanation that makes any sense. The thing is, my mail is delivered at my PO Box. If it's addressed to my street address, and it is sent through the US Mail, it won't get delivered at the end of my driveway, because there is no mailbox there. The post office has the choice to put a card in my box telling me I have a package too big for the box (this is standard, for any package unless it's really small) or send the package back. It's a small rural post office, so they just deliver it. But I worry about when the PO consolidates all of it's small post offices, which it will have to do eventually because not enough people send mail anymore. What will happen when a computer directs all of the mail. If you put my street address into the Postal service's zip code finder, it says it's Undeliverable. And it is, technically, since the mail goes to the post office. I keep trying to explain this to people who have " can't deliver to PO Boxes" on their forms. That's where all my mail goes, so if you're going to mail me stuff, you have to send it there. I don't know how to fix this problem, but it's really annoying.

Posted on Dec 8, 2009 3:11:41 PM PST
Beelissa says:
I've tried that trick of adding "box xxx" to the street address. I can't swear I've tried it at Amazon. It usually doesn't work, though.

Posted on Dec 13, 2009 5:54:00 PM PST
SilentSpell says:
I'm running into this, too.

I can get packages via UPS and FedEx where I live, but our neighborhood doesn't have a mail box yet (due to a disagreement between the PO and the developer). Our Post Office suggested giving the following address format to everyone we do business with:

Street address
PO Box Number
City, State, Zip

For most businesses, this works (some I had to just give only the PO Box). Amazon choked on this for Christmas gifts for both my wife and I. For my wife, Amazon refused to ship a package until she removed our PO Box. However, when the item was shipped, Amazon still sent it via USPS (or SmartPost, which uses USPS for end delivery) but now with the incorrect address. Thankfully we live in a small town, so it was still delivered to the Post Office (with the warning they won't keep doing it forever).

I've tried to get Amazon to recognize the format above, to no avail. I've tried using their customer service forms, but after my first post, their forms have an incredibly short character limit. This is silly.

Posted on Dec 13, 2009 7:07:44 PM PST
Beelissa says:
This is my pet peeve, and people who don't have a PO Box don't seem to understand. They say they can't ship it to a PO Box but then they use the post office to ship it. The PO Box IS my MAILING address! DUH! How much clearer can I make it than that?

I had this problem with PayPal, too. I wanted to apply for a PayPal Debit card. They wouldn't ship the debit card to a PO Box. Wouldn't even let you apply for it if your address contained it. So I'm saying, if you're going to mail it to me, you have to send it to the PO Box. But they couldn't seem to understand that. They finally let me apply, but shipped it to the street address. My Post Office hasn't yet not delivered mail addressed to my street address, but once all of the little post offices go away and computers take over, I think I'm going to have to get a roadside box just for mail that can't be sent to the PO Box. ::::sigh:::: at least I have that option (if I'm willing to risk it getting hit by the snow plow). I feel for people that don't.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2010 10:12:25 AM PST
Holy Frail says:
Same problem. Rural town, PO Box. But my post office returns items without a PO Box most of the time, they don't usually bother to look up the box. Have ordered a items that wouldn't let me order with PO Box then Amazon shipped via USPS any way and the USPS returned them. I spent an hour and a half on the phone with four different Amazon customer service reps this morning and none were any help at all. They told me I should pay for 1 or 2 day service, but then one sent me an email saying that 1 and 2 day services may go through the USPS too. So I'm at my wits end and ready to give up on Amazon completely. This is a pretty fundamental fulfillment issue and the programming to solve it is really simple. All they have to do is allow customers to put both a PO Box and a physical address in the ship to, or they could program it to select from your address list based on the shipping carrier they decide to use. If my billing address is a PO Box they should know that they can't send a package via USPS without a PO Box, unless I happen to have both a PO Box and mail delivery, which would not be the norm. It's really ridiculous that they can't get this right, as it's a basic shipping rule. There must be literally millions of customers with this same problem being ignored.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2010 10:14:13 AM PST
Holy Frail says:
Same problem. Rural town, PO Box. But my post office returns items without a PO Box most of the time, they don't usually bother to look up the box. Have ordered a items that wouldn't let me order with PO Box then Amazon shipped via USPS any way and the USPS returned them. I spent an hour and a half on the phone with four different Amazon customer service reps this morning and none were any help at all. They told me I should pay for 1 or 2 day service, but then one sent me an email saying that 1 and 2 day services may go through the USPS too. So I'm at my wits end and ready to give up on Amazon completely. This is a pretty fundamental fulfillment issue and the programming to solve it is really simple. All they have to do is allow customers to put both a PO Box and a physical address in the ship to, or they could program it to select from your address list based on the shipping carrier they decide to use. If my billing address is a PO Box they should know that they can't send a package via USPS without a PO Box, unless I happen to have both a PO Box and mail delivery, which would not be the norm. It's really ridiculous that they can't get this right, as it's a basic shipping rule. There must be literally millions of customers with this same problem being ignored.

Posted on Jan 16, 2010 7:56:12 AM PST
Beelissa says:
Holy Frail said, "There must be literally millions of customers with this same problem being ignored. "

I have often thought the same, but we are apparently the silent masses, or at least the unheard ones. I have asked the post office what to do, they are just as clueless. They did say you can have a package sent to "general delivery" at a post office, and then they'd hold it at the counter till you asked for it, similar to how I get my packages when they won't fit in the box itself. I'm not sure how to go about doing that or whether it would make it through Amazon's system. I'm going to write to Amazon again and point them to this thread, so they can read some people's comments. I don't know if that will help.

Posted on Jan 16, 2010 5:52:39 PM PST
Beelissa says:
I wrote to Amazon about this. Here is their (utterly useless) response:

"Hello,

I'm very sorry for the inconvenience you experienced in this case.

We use a variety of carriers that we've found provide the best service for our different shipping options and assign a carrier automatically when we ship your order.

Unfortunately, there is no way to request a specific shipper. Packages shipped to a P.O. Box can only be sent via the U.S. Postal Service.

Our Standard Domestic, Two-Day, or One-Day shipping may be delivered by the U.S. Postal Service, UPS, FedEx, or a local carrier in your area. If you select Two-Day or One-Day Shipping, your package may be delivered by the U.S. Postal Service, UPS, FedEx, OnTrac, or A1 Courier Service. These shipments may be delivered on weekdays or weekends, depending on the carrier.

It's important for us to know how customers react to all aspects of our service, and I have passed your suggestion along to our shipping department. Please know that we value your opinion and will continue to listen and respond to our customers' concerns.

Customer feedback like yours really helps us continue to improve our store and provide better service to our customers. Thanks for taking time to offer us your thoughts.

We hope to see you again soon."

Just to note: no where in my note did I say I wanted to request a specific shipper. I said I thought the solution would be to trust us, those who want stuff shipped to us, to be able to put in an accurate shipping address. And that if they believed that we might not be able to do so, a compromise would be to allow an address in this format:

Name
Street Address
PO Box Number
City, State, Zip

This contains both street address and PO Box and would satisfy all shippers. It's my default address, but there are so many times when they won't let me use it and then, lo and behold, the package ends up at the Post Office, but was shipped using the street address.

We're banging our heads against a solid brick wall here, folks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2010 7:04:04 PM PST
Holy Frail says:
I spent a couple hours going around and around with three of their Indian customer service reps with fake American names over this same nonsensical argument. I was about to just throw in the towel and give up on Amazon altogether, but then I figured out a way to trick the address problem.

The second address line is for apartment numbers, etc... It apparently doesn't like a PO Box there. But I noticed when I set up an address with a PO Box only that it put my box number as the +4 of the zip +4. So I created a new address with a zip +4 that included my box number and put my street address in the first line then also on the first line ", BOX #". I left off the PO.
So like this with my PO BOX being 1038:
Name
Street, BOX 1038
City, St Zip-1038

Having just 'box' after the street address all on the first line tricked Amazon's shipping address programming logic. It just sees it as part of the street address. And I'm pretty confident that my post office can deliver it like this. Seems like they would deliver it with just the zip +4 indicating my box, but will have to ask them that. With the box # in both the address line and the zip, surely USPS can handle this. I repeated an order that was recently sent back by the USPS so will see soon if this works.

Posted on Jan 17, 2010 11:05:03 AM PST
Beelissa says:
Yes, I've tried this kind of trick.

But it ignores the basic problem here: Amazon refuses to understand that if a person's mailing address is a PO Box, THAT'S WHERE THEY GET THEIR MAIL. So the package has to be addressed to the PO Box if it's going to be shipped via the postal service. And they are saying some items can't be addressed that way, items that, in my case at least, ended up being delivered to my PO Box anyway, and items that my local postmaster says are not prohibited from being sent to a PO Box.

I would understand if they just didn't know, and made a mistake setting up their system that way, and then agreed to change it when a bunch of us brought it to their attention. But I've asked and asked and asked and asked and asked them to fix this, for year and years and years. Last Christmas, my son's most-anticipated gift arrived on New Year's Eve. According to the tracking info, it was in a postal sorting center within an hour's drive of my house from Dec. 23 until Dec. 30, and I couldn't go get it. Worse, the day after Christmas Amazon lowered the price of this item by $20. I suspected the PO Box address thing had something to do with this snafu, and I actually called them and talked to them (I talked to PO people too) and got absolutely nowhere, except to get a $20 credit as a way of apology for the late arrival of stuff guaranteed to arrive by Christmas.

They just don't get it.

Posted on Jan 17, 2010 12:26:32 PM PST
Holy Frail says:
Of course I would like them to fix the problem too. But I'm just saying that I think if put the address like I did it will slide through. Amazon will let it out their door, the USPS will get it to my box, and if UPS or Fedx they have the street info they need. So essentially problem solved, as far as I'm concerned. I just want my package and as long as I get it in a timely manner I don't care how it gets here. At least that's the theory anyway. Shall see if it works soon enough.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2010 12:29:48 PM PST
Beelissa says:
I would be interested to know if it works. Please post here when it arrives. I hope it does!

Posted on Feb 5, 2010 9:01:10 AM PST
NeoStar9 says:
Adding my PO BOX number to the back of my zip code is what I've had to do for the longest time. What annoys me like so many others is that Amazon will then ship it USPS anyway. Ugh.

Posted on Mar 16, 2010 1:53:05 PM PDT
J. Geving says:
I have finally had success shipping to my mailing address a PO Box. I used Holy Frail's suggestion and it worked. Just leave off the PO and list only Box and your box number, then include your box number in your zip code like 99999-0282. Thanks Holy Frail for the tip.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2010 6:54:17 PM PDT
Holy Frail says:
i forgot to post my results. two orders successfully delivered.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2010 9:23:55 AM PDT
I frankly have encountered this over and over again. I finally gave up, and had it delivered to myself (which won't work for everyone), and then sent it to my family who have a rural P. O. Box only (and Fed EX or UPS don't deliver there either). If enough people keep complaining, I have to think eventually they'll wake up and "get it".
TJS

Posted on Aug 12, 2010 3:03:21 PM PDT
What's really annoying is some items amazon lets you put in the PO Box and others they don't.

I can't put both the PO Box and the address because they are different Post Offices (my mail is delivered to a PO across the street from where I work). USPS does not deliver in my town and the PO does not have 24 hour access so the work PO is more convenient.

Amazon is the almost the only firm I buy from on-line that has this as a problem. E-bay I always leave a comment to the buyer and the item always ships correctly (UPS and FedEx to my house; USPS to the PO Box). This is why I try e-bay first before Amazon even though Amazon is easier to shop on.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2010 3:08:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 12, 2010 3:10:16 PM PDT
Benjamin says:
Maybe getting a box at The UPS Store, Mail Boxes Etc, and similar places. Some storage places have mail boxes for rent also. Not sure if you have any of these type of places where you are. When you have one of these mail boxes, you can receive any UPS/Fedex and also USPS packages. And a plus is that every package is signed for so you know for sure it was delivered.

Posted on Aug 12, 2010 4:27:53 PM PDT
Holy Frail says:
Posted solution a while back.

Address line 1: Physical address
Address line 2: Box #
City
State
Zip +4

Be sure to put "Box" not PO Box. In my case the +4 is my PO Box # so that's double identification, don't know if that's always true.
If you do it just like I've said you won't have a problem with Amazon, USPS, UPS or FedEx home delivery.
I was frustrated by returned packages too, but since I started doing it this way I've had at least 10 successful deliveries in the past six months and have had no returns.
I don't see any reason why you can't just substitute in your work address for the physical address and your personal box as I've said. If Amazon ships via UPS or FedEx, they'll take to your work, if via USPS they'll just ignore the physical and put it in your box.

Posted on Aug 12, 2010 4:28:47 PM PDT
Holy Frail says:
Posted solution a while back.

Address line 1: Physical address
Address line 2: Box #
City
State
Zip +4

Be sure to put "Box" not PO Box. In my case the +4 is my PO Box # so that's double identification, don't know if that's always true.
If you do it just like I've said you won't have a problem with Amazon, USPS, UPS or FedEx home delivery.
I was frustrated by returned packages too, but since I started doing it this way I've had at least 10 successful deliveries in the past six months and have had no returns.
I don't see any reason why you can't just substitute in your work address for the physical address and your personal box as I've said. If Amazon ships via UPS or FedEx, they'll take to your work, if via USPS they'll just ignore the physical and put it in your box.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2010 4:43:41 PM PDT
I read that solution. It would work if PO Box and Physical address were in the same post office. In my case PO Box is in a different state than physical address (I live in one state and work in another). I can't get a PO Box at the home Post Office because their hours are 9 am - 5 pm (outside of these hours I would not have access to the box).
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  60
Total posts:  106
Initial post:  Nov 13, 2008
Latest post:  Apr 28, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 20 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about