Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Cap Barbell PVC Coated Dumbbell Set, 200-Pounds
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Water Sports

on October 8, 2010
After figuring out that I wasn't going to find something I liked on craigslist, ebay or at play-it-again, I resigned myself to buying new. Wow! Lumps of metal are expensive!

I did some considerable shopping and this set was the best bang-for-buck I could find. At first I was apprehensive, because I had just purchased and then returned a different CAP product: "Cap Barbell 40-Pound Dumbbell Set" which was surprisingly terrible...Really, how do you screw up making lumps of metal?

For this set, what was important to me was that the dumbells went from 10-30lbs. For my fitness level, 5lb weights would be used as doorstops. I'd much rather have a higher top-end. Of course shipping is a big issue. These came out well above the $1/pound going rate, but locally I'd have to pay sales tax and waste my time shopping for something comparable.

Easy peasy, shipped to my door. The stand assembles in minutes and everything appears to be good fit and finish. My body is looking forward to many years of use.

As a small side note: The finish on the stand isn't perfect. Mine had a small bit of wire hanging off that simply got painted over, and there is now a "crease" where it used to be...so if the look of your gym equipment is important, this set isn't exactly fancy, maybe a bit more...industrial, which I happen to like. Bonus.

I will update again if there are any changes.
on February 4, 2011
I recently decided I needed to get into shape after looking at myself in the mirror a few too many times. With gym memberships at astronomical prices, I thought I'd look for a weight set that would suit my needs. When I found this CAP set, I knew I had found my new set. I have owned CAP weights before, and their solid construction had me coming back. The set, with dumbbells from 10 to 30 lbs, fit right within my budget and my weight range (I said I'm getting back into shape, don't judge). The rubber coating is great for my wood floors as it does not scratch and the rack was very easy to set-up, with plastic guards to protect your floor and your weights from scratches. My one gripe is one of the hexagonal heads is off-set from the rest of the set giving the weight an awkward feel when resting on the floor, but nothing big other than aesthetics. All in all a very solid and budget friendly weight set that should last a long time.
on December 28, 2012
PROS:

Dumbbells are pretty good quality.

CONS:

The rubber used on these dumbbells emits an unbelievably unbearable odor. When we first opened the box, the odor was literally nauseating. Within 5-10 minutes our entire 3-car garage reeked. We've had this set sitting in our garage for a week now and the odor is still pretty strong. If you want to put this set inside your house or use them immediately, forget about it. We're going to let these sit in our garage for another 2 weeks and see if the odor goes away. If not we're returning them. I called the CAP customer service and the lady said the odor problem does happen, but is very rare. Judging by the reviews here and elsewhere online, I'd say she's grossly exaggerating.

The stand that comes with this set is not very high quality (I would say it's low-medium). It serves the purpose, but the metal is pretty thin for a 200lb weight set stand. I imagine the rubber guards on the weight recesses are not going to last very long before they thin metal starts to cut through them (especially on the heavier dumbbells). Our stand, out of the box had multiple scratches and glue drips on it.

For $400, I would say this product is not a great value. For $200, it is. Fortunately, we recently bought ours at our local (Kirkland-based) warehouse store for $200.
on September 2, 2011
If you're a PRIME member, this is a no-brainer. I could only find weights cheaper on Craigslist. For the money, you get a box delivered to your door and are free of the hassle of shopping/carrying them to/from the car in pieces/etc. On to the review:

The box and shipping cost the product a star. You're not going to pick the box up and just lug it into your living room or gym (if you're lucky enough to have one) so you'll need to unpack it outside. The weights and rack are held in place by your typical cheap foam, which gets utterly destroyed in shipment by hundreds of pounds of weights bouncing around the back of various delivery trucks. This means the box just about explodes with little foam pieces carried every which way by the wind. Best of luck cleaning it all up.

Aside from that, what a great weight set! Rubber-coated dumbbells of reasonably-high quality and a rack to boot. I use these near-daily for P90X and the rubber has held up very well, as as the finish of the knurled grips. I'm very happy with the product and would recommend it.
on December 23, 2013
While there isn't much to weights, these are good and on par with what you find at the gym. The rubber coating looks durable and the grip is good. There is an annoying sticker to peel off on every weight. Some reviews noted a strong rubbery odor, but I cannot smell anything in a well-vented garage. I bought this set specifically for the rubber finish, but also because it's one of the few sets with 30-pounders.

The stand, however, sucks. It's easy to assemble, but the top parts are made of thin sheet metal. With the weights on, the stand just wobbles. As long as it doesn't collapse, I'm ok with it. But even if you take out the stand, it's a good deal considering you get free shipping (shipping 280 pounds cross-country isn't cheap) and the fact that it's a set means you don't have to buy the weights individually.
on March 27, 2011
The weights are exactly what you'd expect, and they were delivered in a timely manner. The stand is not very well made. It has some sharp corners, and is a little wobbly. Otherwise it would have gotten 5 stars.
on August 20, 2016
I am a former personal training facility gym owner and this set of Dumbbells, rack and FREE shipping is a tremendous value. The cost of shipping dumbbells (free weights of any kind) is super expensive and a deterrent to buying them for most people looking to equip a home gym. It was for me until now. If I were to buy dumbbells for a commercial gym now having had first-hand experience with the quality and price of the CAP Dumbbells, I would buy these and save myself tons of money.
on August 4, 2016
The delivery people were very nice and asked if I wanted the pallet in my garage. I stated that I did not so they took it off of the truck piece by piece. I did not realize the stuff was on a pallet with no protection on it. No boxes, etc. Just bare equipment. Most of them were not in boxes or wrapped in any sort of protection. The top cap is missing altogether. One of the side pieces and dented and gouged. Two of the weights (the 20lb and 30lb) are chewed up on the end. There was not manual or paperwork except for a torn, wadded up single piece of paper directions on how to assemble. We cannot assemble because it is damaged and missing a piece. What is the next step?
on July 17, 2016
The dumbbells them selves were fine. Most of the bolts needed to put the rack together did not arrive. The bolts that did arrive were to long for the globe nuts to work properly. The rubber caps that are on the base do have a very strong odor.
on August 12, 2013
Have been looking for a starter weight set for some time and couldn't get past the sticker shock for the weight sets at our local athletic stores. When I saw this deal, I jumped at the price/shipping cost as nearly 25% less than the local equivalent.

Overall very good quality and the rubber weights have held up well. I like the contoured grips as they fit my hands well. The stand is basic but very sturdy. It is a little awkward getting weights off the bottom rungs but better than grabbing them from the ground. I would buy again.

See 1 answered question