Industrial Deals Beauty Silent Corner STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 33 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 46 reviews
on November 8, 2016
The book had an interesting plot. However, the writing was often disjointed to the point where I flipped back to see if I'd missed a page. The characters had potential, but were not very believable.
on August 9, 2016
Brian Kavanagh' s book impressed me with its simplicity of prose, lucidity of characterisation, tautness of storyline and a surprising denouement. A gripping murder mystery which keeps the reader hooked till the very end.
on June 8, 2016
This is the third of his books I've read and I enjoyed it immensely. This, like the others, was a quick read, interesting enough to secure my seat on the couch. I'm off to buy another!
on April 18, 2016
...if this book had been in the hands of a capable storyteller! ...with real characters, real relationships, intriguing mystery about a Capability Brown gem of a garden. Sigh...not here, sadly.
on November 17, 2014
Good, entertaining, easy read. Take it to the beach. Can be finished in one day. Not an edge of your seat story though.
on August 12, 2014
I wouldn't rush out to buy the next book.
on January 5, 2014
Australian author Brian Kavanagh has given us a novel in the tradition of the “cosy” English murder mystery with some interesting historical material at the core. It's the first I have read in the Belinda Lawrence series.

This book is very well written and edited. The author’s fluent succinct prose often gives us sharp little snatches of visual description that make the narration quite vivid.

The story gives us two murders—one at the outset and another about half-way through—in a tiny village in England’s West Country. And would you believe the motivation behind them derives from a passion for gardening, of all things?

The protagonist, Belinda Lawrence, is strongly etched through her behaviour and thoughts. Born in England, raised in Australia before returning to her birth-country in early adulthood, she impresses us with her youthful intelligence, perspicacity and feisty attitude. At the same time she’s sufficiently sensitive and emotionally vulnerable to arouse our sympathy and concern for her well-being.

Most other characters—each drawn sharply—give the reader enough reason for suspicion, thus scattering red herrings liberally as we negotiate this mystery. The solution was a real surprise to me due to a couple of well-crafted twists in the narrative.

All in all, a thoroughly enjoyable novel. I'm not normally a fan of the genre, but this one has persuaded me to put the rest of this series of novels on my reading list.
on August 30, 2013
Belinda Lawrence receives an envelope from her Great Aunt, whom she has met only once, telling her that she has something important to say to her and requesting that she visit. When Belinda gets to her great aunt's house, she discovers her aunt's decaying body at the bottom of the staircase. the police rule it an accident. While she is there she meets her aunts solicitor who informs her that she has inherited a sizable amount of money and is now the owner of the house. She begins to suspect that maybe it was not an accident. the letter is postmarked two days after the death. She comes back to the house after meeting with the solicitor to find that it has been ransacked. The more she asks about her aunt, the more she is convinced she was murdered. The story is set in Bath in England and the writing has a decided British style and tone. A delightfully entertaining book.
on August 17, 2013
I have dragged my heels on writing a review for this one -- for a specific reason. When I started reading I was busy enjoying the vocabulary and location and little differences between the characters from those in the US. The story was very good, and included a true mystery with plenty of red herrings and suspicious actions. I wasn't particularly conscious of the change when it moved from 'good little story' to 'holy cow, I can't put it down', because the pace was so smooth it just sucked me right in. But what I really find outstanding is that several days after completing the book, and in fact having read another book in the meantime, I still have those characters and that location on my mind. That is such a rare quality. I admire the author's ability to weave it into the pages. Great job!
on July 28, 2013
A very enjoyable read, that makes us want to know more about the mystery of Belinda's house . The end is unexpected. A book that makes me want to read more from Brian Kavanagh.