Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Case-it Mighty Zip Tab 3-Inch Zipper Binder, Black, D-146-BLK
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Kate Voegele Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

Color: Black|Change

on August 8, 2013
August 2013: I normally wouldn't write a review for a binder that has ~134 reviews, but this has gotten some negative reviews and I feel this is a good binder. I have 2 kids going into 7th and 9th grade and they need "giant" binders because every teacher wants them to have a tabbed section for their class. So, I have had experience looking for binders that are 3.5" wide at the spine, or larger, for 3 years. This is my 4th year. These types/styles binders are not always the most durable. Twice, I've had to purchase a new binder 1/2 way through the school year or sooner. My kids haven't used these yet, but just looking at this binder, it seems more durable than many I've seen and/or purchased. The 3 rings, and the "tabs" on the top and bottom for opening the rings, are metal. Last year, my sons' binders had metal rings but the tabs were plastic, so, of course, they broke. This shouldn't be a problem with the metal "tabs."

The hard cardboard or plastic (I don't know what it is) that makes the front and back covers stiff, and is covered with the "fabric" is quite stiff. I'd say stiffer than some past notebooks my son's have used. So I expect it to hold up better than some past binders.

This notebook also has a nice handle along the spine, as well as a long, adjustable strap, for carrying the binder, if you don't want to put it in your backpack.

As far as this binder not fitting into a backpack when several large textbooks are present (as another reviewer stated), the solution is to purchase a large backpack with a large base/bottom. For example, this binder fits just fine, with room for at least 3 text books in the Dakine 33-Litre Campus Pack Dakine 33-Litre Campus Pack and Dakine Campus Laptop Backpack whose base/bottom measures 9.5"X8" and widens to 13" in the middle. A school backpack's base size is important, not so much the volume. I know this because I've tried other packs that had the same, or larger, volume. But they didn't work as well for school packs because its the base/bottom size that is more important for carrying books (as opposed to camping, hiking, etc.) So get the right pack.

i do agree with a previous reviewer, that the accordion file section is a waste of space. But, it doesn't take up that much room and can easily be cut out with scissors.

UPDATE (October): 1 quarter down (and 3 to go) and these binders are still looking good and functioning as they are supposed to. No problems with the rings. No fraying or missing edging. No rips/tears/etc.

UPDATE (December): Well, the semester is almost over (1 week to go) and this binder has held up like a trooper. And boy do I mean that. My high school freshman has his jam packed. And, when I say "jam packed," I mean it is full to it's limits! Over Winter Break we will go through it and file away things he doesn't think he needs anymore in his desk, so he has room to "jam pack" it during the second semester. All bindings and everything are still intact. The 3 metal rings are still working.

UPDATE: May, 2014: School will be out in 3 weeks and this binder is still going strong! My kids might even be able to use it next school year. Great purchase and value!

UPDATE: January 2015: My younger son is using his same binder from last year and we are through the 1st semester and it's still going strong! My older son wanted a new binder (Actually 2 smaller ones because he has "A" and "B" days in high school and that way he only needs to carry 1 smaller binder, for 3-4 classes each day, rather than one large binder for 6 classes. I bought him 2 of the same brand, just smaller/thinner.) But "oooh" and "ahhh" to THIS binder. 1.5 years and still going strong!

Final update: March 2016: I only buy this brand for my boys now. They are truly amazing. My younger son used his 1st one for 1.5 school years and then something happened to the rings (which might have been his fault - I'm still skeptical), so I bought him a new one. If I was in a financial "pinch" he would have kept using it, as it was more annoying that unusable. Since this initial purchase, I have bought this brand from Amazon in various sizes, depending on my kids' needs, and they are all equally durable.

Thank you Case It for finally making a durable binder in a variety of colors and sizes!
99 comments| 239 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 27, 2008
My son's school requested that each student have a 3" zipper binder. We were unable to find one so settled on a 2" binder that was broken within the first few weeks of school. We found this binder at Amazon.com and he has been using it without problems ever since. It worked so well be ordered a second one for our daughter because her standard 2" binder had also broken. These things stand up to the daily abuse that middle school students can dish out! Great product!
0Comment| 98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 5, 2009
I purchased this binder for the sole purpose of holding my coupons. I absolutely love it! The side pocket holds all of the ads for the stores and because it expands I can take all my coupons with me to the stores. The zipper pouch holds my scissors, paper & calculator. I would recommend it to any one who is interested in a coupon binder.
33 comments| 91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 30, 2009
I purchased the case it binder for coupons.It has everything I needed.Zippered pockets,accordian file pockets,and 3 ring binder.It was exactly the binder I was looking for.Highly recommended.
on November 27, 2015
It's November and my 14 year old son has already managed to blow out the zipper on this binder. Granted, he's pretty rough on things -- but probably no worse than the average boy. He carries his binder to and from school in a messenger bag or back-pack (he recently switched from the former to the latter) so it is protected from the elements and bus ride. I think most of the wear and tear comes from in-school use and packing it pretty full of stuff.

I just took these photos for this review and see that the zipper is completely gone from one side (looks like the stitching came out. The rings are distorted and the exterior is pretty scuffed up. I'm starting to wonder if someone sat on it or if suffered some other form of adolescent abuse!!! The boy's going to have some explaining to do when he gets home later. The replacement might come out of his allowance! His 11 year old sister has the same binder in purple and it is holding up pretty nicely because she's gentler with her things.

Last year's binder (the same model) made it through most of a school year with my son -- but was shredded by summer. So these things are not indestructible and I wonder if there is a planned obsolescence so you have to buy a new one every year!.

Anyhow, I am buying another just like it (except in blue rather than black -- to save $5) because he needs a functional binder. He really likes the features of this binder with the accordion file on the left (front) cover with a pocket for every class, the zipper compartment and the 3" rings. I would like it if there was a binder of high enough quality to last until graduation -- but alas, I think that is a pipe dream!
review image review image review image review image
on May 6, 2010
I LOVE this binder. I have used it for over a year for my coupons. It takes a great deal of abuse and holds up well. I see many reviews saying that the zipper breaks and it is cheaply made. I don't understand this, because mine is still good as new and I am pretty hard on it. I wonder if some come from a different factory or something. I cut out the expanding file to make more room for my pages and re-attached the zippered pocket inside the front cover to hold my scissors, etc. So sturdy and holds a ton.
on June 20, 2014
When my oldest son started middle school, I bought all the folders for each of his six classes like recommended. Well, it proved to be way too much to keep track of (in addition to being too much for his small locker at school). Another parent told me her son had bought a folder similar to this one. So, we purchased it, went through all of my son's folders and combined them into this one. It has been so durable and has been easy to stay organized. My son just yelled, "it was perfect!" Enough said! :)
TOP 500 REVIEWERon October 30, 2014
I love this binder! I use my binder for couponing. I added some baseball cards to put my coupons in. I use the divider section for my different store's. I put the ads and special store notes on them. The sipper part comes in handy also. I use it for my pen, calculator and notepad. This binder is very sturdy. I really like the easy to carry handle. It's very convenient when I have to carry it from store to store. I have not had any problems with my baseball sheets coming lose. That is one of the most important things that I look for when buying a binder. I have not had any problems with the zipper either. I'm constantly getting in and out of this binder and it definitely holds up. The fabric is easy to clean also. I like how the round rings are on one side of the binder. It makes it much easier to get in and of without all the pages messing up. This is a great binder and is very versatile.
on December 27, 2013
I used this for my coupon binder and it worked out perfectly. It kept everything organized and was very sturdy. I would highly recommend this size for a coupon binder - any bigger or smaller and it probably wont work for the long run - this one is perfect - and it comes with a carry strap which is very handy! Thanks!
on January 24, 2014
These binders are very good. Have stood up to rough use this year and still look pretty new. My kids wish they had a backpack strap on them so you can wear them on your back as an option. Not a bad idea.