Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 86 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 143 reviews
VINE VOICEon April 28, 2012
I sometimes read this sort of pulp; it has many readers, and I find myself wondering what I've missed. And once again I find I haven't missed all that much. Is such books, the characters are an inch deep, the prose is often more than clunky, and the stories are filled with gratuitous sex and violence, and Capitol Murder is no exception. Here's there's a terroristic plot to kill lots of U.S. citizens, and there's more-than-mild corruption and intrigue within Federal government organizations. About story specifics I won't say more.

All this leads me to wonder what draws people to read such books. First, I think, there's the sex and violence. Then there's the gut-level actions and reactions of the characters, which appeals to the baser instincts of readers. But the primary draw here is the twists and turns of the plot. Readers enjoy trying to outthink the writer as he or she unearths plots, murders, terroristic acts, and the like. And Margolin does provide this, along with a fairly accurate depiction of Washington D.C., both political and architectural.

What's bad about such books is that they do a good job of inflaming gut-level passions against various government organs while paradoxically inflating the U.S.'s moral base against other nations, against supposed enemy groups, and even against various religions. In other words, they're doing FOX News' work for them.

This is hardly literature, working as it does against the elevation of the human spirit and experience. But there is a remarkable level of intelligence at work here. If only it could be put to more constructive use.
on June 3, 2017
The characters keep you going. The story makes you want to read it all in one sitting! Looking forward to the next one.
on September 12, 2017
I found this underwhelming. Big name, big seller, big bore. I finished it, but I'm not sure why.
on June 24, 2017
As usual Phillip Margolin delivers a great read and suspense that keeps you guessing and surprises with his twists and turns. Love his
on April 22, 2012
As another reviewer writes, this is actually the third book with the same major protagonists. Many references are made to the previous stories - that's OK but I would have preferred to read the three stories in a chronological (of action and/or publication) sequence.

Now I doubt I'll read them - a loss to the publishers and the author. The other 'series' from Portland is bit better organized.

I think Amazon will benefit (and many readers as well) if an information is readily available about these sequences. This is not a REAL literature and we cannot be expected to be aware of them.

Otherwise, satisfactory reading. Just one minor thing: Muslems call us INFIDELS, not HERETICS. The Sunnis may call Shia 'heretics' just like the Christians loved to burn their heretics a few hundred years ago, it was, after all, better for them to be dead than to keep sinning.

A minor issue but some of us pay attention to every word these 'writers' (story tellers) publish.
on December 6, 2016
The book was enjoyable and had a few twists which were not over involved which is good.
on October 30, 2012
Let me start out by saying I love Phillip Margolin's books - I've read most of them. However, something was off with Capitol Murder. The story was good, as it usually is, but the actual writing style seemed off. The writing didn't seem to have the flow that his other books have. It was as if there were too many descriptive adjectives and too much description within the book. Although it's nice to read about the same characters in other books, having to give the back story on everyone (especially when there are so many cross over characters) was a little much. Don't get me wrong, he's still one of my favorite authors, and hopefully the new one I've downloaded (I think the title is The Burning Man) will bring the old Phillip Margolin's writing style back.
on April 26, 2015
Phillip Margolin has never let me down, the next book is always as good as the last or even better. This one was super, I couldn't put it down. Certainly would recommend it to anyone.
on April 2, 2017
Griping story line and a terrifying plot. Too real to imagine. I hope no terrorists read it and get ideas.
on June 18, 2015
I happen to be a fan of Margolin so obviously I enjoyed the book. This was one of his great plots. However it did take me half a disc to get all of the characters in the proper place.

The company that I ordered from did everything they said they would. Delivery was right on and the book was in good condition.