Top positive review
562 people found this helpful
I'm noticing a trend with one-star reviews
on December 2, 2014
One star ratings for this product seem to go like this "Didn't work!" with no mention of their method used. Others state "only worked for one day!" Duh. It says plain as day WORKS FOR ONE DAY ONLY! Another ignorant twit wrote "It's not my home! I have hardwood floors!". So, you're dim enough to think fleas can't infest a home with hard flooring? Do you also sleep in a hardwood bed? Sit on a hardwood couch? Did you realize fleas can fit between hardwood planks and between tiles and in furniture? Here's a real review for the folks who are a little on the dim side or the inexperienced:
These work for a total of 24 hours maximum. The effectiveness ends after a day in which the medicine will then stop working. This gives you a window of time to clean. To deflea pets using this product, which kills ONLY ADULT FLEAS for only 24 HOURS, do the following:
1. Purchase and administer pill(s) to pet(s). One pill per pet per day. Just read the packaging directions.
2. Purchase flea shampoo. These pills will not kill eggs left on your pet, you will need to bathe your pet with a pet shampoo that states it will kill flea eggs.
3. Wash your pet, take your time. If you rush through bathing, the shampoo won't have time to work.
4. Purchase and use flea comb. Most of your fleas will be dead. If not, you're going to want to catch them in the comb and either pop em with your nails and/or flush them. It's gross, yes, but you gotta kill living fleas however you can. The pills should help here. Flush all fleas, dead or alive. Be safe, not sorry.
5. Buy flea spray. Raid makes flea spray in a purple can that is HIGHLY effective. Do not spray around pets, do not let pets near treated areas for at least one hour. Follow flea spray directions, be sure to spray your pets favourite rest spots. Do not spray directly on your animal(s)!!!
6. Do laundry. You'll want to wash pet bedding, clothes, your bedding, any fabric laying around like blankets where fleas can hide including towels you dried your pet off with after their bath.
7. Vacuum. If you have carpets or cat trees or other unwashable items where your pet spends time, vacuum those places thoroughly. Make sure to move things and be very thorough. One missed flea can make tons more in no time.
8. Repeat above steps as needed.
Why are these pills used if they only work for one day? I will tell you. When you flea bathe a pet, the fleas run to their face. It's dangerous to put flea shampoo on your pets face, like around the eyes, nose, and mouth and that's exactly where the fleas run to. On pets with dark fur, it's hard to even SEE the fleas. These pills, used in tandum with flea bathing and a thorough house cleaning, assure you missed none of the fleas crawling on your pet. It also assures ones that jump back on your pet during cleaning will also die. These pills are cheaper (and safer) than monthly pills of pet insecticides, and more effective than gross topical insectides you will get on your hands petting your cat or dog and that will also get licked off by mutually grooming cats that will get sick from ingesting the topical insecticide.
These pills mean you're more likely to achieve in 24 hours what it takes 1-2 weeks to achieve without them, IF YOU ARE SMART AND CLEAN WELL TO PREVENT REINFESTATION. If you are lazy and do not bathe your pet and clean your home, you will waste your money. If you decide to be lazy because you think your home cannot accommodate fleas, you are WRONG. That's where these one-star ratings appear to be coming from.
There is no truly lazy way out of flea infestation, but you can cut down your work time and effort by using these pills.
For truly insane flea infestations where you walk in and fleas are covering your legs, add a new step 5. Buy flea bombs, one per room, and follow the instructions. Leave the bombs do their work whilest taking all living creatures out of your home for an hour or two. (Even crating your pet and waiting somewhere safe outside for an hour or two will suffice, as long as weather permits.)
These pills WORK. But you have to do YOUR PART in making sure all fleas and eggs in your home die.
Trust me on this one. I've owned literally dozens of cats and have had to handle some severe infestations. (Leaving my cats to be watched by someone else for a month led to an infestation where standing on my counter couldn't keep them off of me.)
Furthur advice: keep cats indoors. Any pet that goes outside is highly likely to bring them in. And moreover, some yards and locations breed higher instances of fleas. They sell flea-killer that you can spray over your yard. It's a great investment for dog owners who have no choice but take their pet outside. Also, fleas can still exist in your home throughout winter without you seeing them and crop up when the weather warms up. Winter is the best time to kill them because they're less active in cold areas. Give 'em heck and keep cleaning.
These pills are not a cure-all and were not intended to be, but they do their job and will greatly assist your efforts. Thanks.