Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18SW_gno

on May 5, 2017
Im just a mess today but dont want this to happen ever again, please do deep research before giving this to your sweet pets that you luv. Gave capstar to 3 of my cats on 5-4-2017 at 12:00 pm I had to put them in crates because they were acting so crazy around the house I mean it was scary to the point I thought they were going to hurt themselves. Everything I looked up at first said this is normal will last about 6hr's and your pet will be ok "so I trusted " gave them bowls of water and let them ride it out. well at 4:00 I noticed they were being calm so I let them out early,there was dead fleas about 10 all together between my 3 cats left in the crate. All seemed great till 9:40 one of my cats went limp and stopped breathing it all happened so fast! Im torn inside for giving this to my cats ,please this is no joke I cant get my baby boy back I had him for 9 years and now he's just gone 😢😭 wishing I could turn back time
review imagereview imagereview image
1919 comments| 538 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 2, 2014
One star ratings for this product seem to go like this "Didn't work!" with no mention of their method used. Others state "only worked for one day!" Duh. It says plain as day WORKS FOR ONE DAY ONLY! Another ignorant twit wrote "It's not my home! I have hardwood floors!". So, you're dim enough to think fleas can't infest a home with hard flooring? Do you also sleep in a hardwood bed? Sit on a hardwood couch? Did you realize fleas can fit between hardwood planks and between tiles and in furniture? Here's a real review for the folks who are a little on the dim side or the inexperienced:

These work for a total of 24 hours maximum. The effectiveness ends after a day in which the medicine will then stop working. This gives you a window of time to clean. To deflea pets using this product, which kills ONLY ADULT FLEAS for only 24 HOURS, do the following:

1. Purchase and administer pill(s) to pet(s). One pill per pet per day. Just read the packaging directions.
2. Purchase flea shampoo. These pills will not kill eggs left on your pet, you will need to bathe your pet with a pet shampoo that states it will kill flea eggs.
3. Wash your pet, take your time. If you rush through bathing, the shampoo won't have time to work.
4. Purchase and use flea comb. Most of your fleas will be dead. If not, you're going to want to catch them in the comb and either pop em with your nails and/or flush them. It's gross, yes, but you gotta kill living fleas however you can. The pills should help here. Flush all fleas, dead or alive. Be safe, not sorry.
5. Buy flea spray. Raid makes flea spray in a purple can that is HIGHLY effective. Do not spray around pets, do not let pets near treated areas for at least one hour. Follow flea spray directions, be sure to spray your pets favourite rest spots. Do not spray directly on your animal(s)!!!
6. Do laundry. You'll want to wash pet bedding, clothes, your bedding, any fabric laying around like blankets where fleas can hide including towels you dried your pet off with after their bath.
7. Vacuum. If you have carpets or cat trees or other unwashable items where your pet spends time, vacuum those places thoroughly. Make sure to move things and be very thorough. One missed flea can make tons more in no time.
8. Repeat above steps as needed.

Why are these pills used if they only work for one day? I will tell you. When you flea bathe a pet, the fleas run to their face. It's dangerous to put flea shampoo on your pets face, like around the eyes, nose, and mouth and that's exactly where the fleas run to. On pets with dark fur, it's hard to even SEE the fleas. These pills, used in tandum with flea bathing and a thorough house cleaning, assure you missed none of the fleas crawling on your pet. It also assures ones that jump back on your pet during cleaning will also die. These pills are cheaper (and safer) than monthly pills of pet insecticides, and more effective than gross topical insectides you will get on your hands petting your cat or dog and that will also get licked off by mutually grooming cats that will get sick from ingesting the topical insecticide.

These pills mean you're more likely to achieve in 24 hours what it takes 1-2 weeks to achieve without them, IF YOU ARE SMART AND CLEAN WELL TO PREVENT REINFESTATION. If you are lazy and do not bathe your pet and clean your home, you will waste your money. If you decide to be lazy because you think your home cannot accommodate fleas, you are WRONG. That's where these one-star ratings appear to be coming from.

There is no truly lazy way out of flea infestation, but you can cut down your work time and effort by using these pills.

For truly insane flea infestations where you walk in and fleas are covering your legs, add a new step 5. Buy flea bombs, one per room, and follow the instructions. Leave the bombs do their work whilest taking all living creatures out of your home for an hour or two. (Even crating your pet and waiting somewhere safe outside for an hour or two will suffice, as long as weather permits.)

These pills WORK. But you have to do YOUR PART in making sure all fleas and eggs in your home die.

Trust me on this one. I've owned literally dozens of cats and have had to handle some severe infestations. (Leaving my cats to be watched by someone else for a month led to an infestation where standing on my counter couldn't keep them off of me.)

Furthur advice: keep cats indoors. Any pet that goes outside is highly likely to bring them in. And moreover, some yards and locations breed higher instances of fleas. They sell flea-killer that you can spray over your yard. It's a great investment for dog owners who have no choice but take their pet outside. Also, fleas can still exist in your home throughout winter without you seeing them and crop up when the weather warms up. Winter is the best time to kill them because they're less active in cold areas. Give 'em heck and keep cleaning.

These pills are not a cure-all and were not intended to be, but they do their job and will greatly assist your efforts. Thanks.
1111 comments| 562 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 12, 2015
First let me state that this is NOT a cure-all or a preventative treatment!! It simply kills ADULT fleas that are ON the cat for a few hours/up to a day. My cat was suddenly infested and I was desperate!! II just gave the pill to my cat, and 20 mins later she was howling and jumping all over the place, and I see that there are already fleas on top of her fur and just falling off! I found her in the bathtub less than an hour later, frantically grooming herself, surrounded by dead fleas (see photos!!). I couldn't believe it. People who say it doesn't work are crazy! Lol. It works, but if you have fleas OFF your pet (outside, or carpet, or other untreated pets)....they will jump back on the next day!! So this must be used as part of a regimen. I took one star off because it's so dang expensive, over $4/pill! P.S. She calmed down after about an hour and a half. :)
review imagereview imagereview image
22 comments| 285 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 25, 2017
My 14 year old shihtzu has had perpetual flea issues since early summer 2016. Not infestation, but several found on her at a time. She has kidney and heart disease, so I'm extra cautious about what I give her topically and allow her to ingest. After consistently using one well-known topical product, diatomaceous earth sprinkled on all floor surfaces, washing/vacuuming ALL OF THE TIME, nothing was working. Finally I gave Capstart a try, and it really has been such a help for getting ahead of the adult fleas, while I continue to wash/vacuum and bathe my dog to get rid of any residual eggs. I initially used one every other day. The result is immediate - fleas do start falling off within a few hours. They don't die right away, but they are incapacitated. The frequency wasn't enough the first go round, and I probably wasn't consistent enough with the vacuuming to get rid of any eggs that had been laid. So, this final time I gave my dog a pill, waited a few hours, washed her, the bedding, vacuumed. I gave her one more each day for a total of three days. She never showed signs of having difficulty processing the product through her kidneys. And, I'm happy to report that I think we are FINALLY over our flea issues. It helped to have something to kill the egg layers, then take immediate steps to get rid of any eggs. I definitely recommend this product, with the usual caution I would give for any ingested product containing poison.
on July 23, 2012
Okay, so normally the thought of feeding a form of insectide to my animals would send me straight to the funny farm. I am a chemical free junky. I make my own cleaners because I can't stand the chemicals from store bought ones, I won't even cook with Crisco because it is just synthetic junk. So I seriously could not believe that I agreed to feed one of these pills to my animals. However, there comes a time in ones life where a certain proverbial line must be drawn. And to tell you the truth, my little guys were miserable before using this product. I have two large dogs and two large cats, so I used two different types of Capstar pills, one for over 25 pounds and one for smaller animals. This product is amazing for getting rid of the itchy little beasts. After just 1 pill my black lab/bulldog (yes, he's a funny looking critter) ran around like a crazy hen whose had her head cut off, itched and scratched like mad for about two hours until he finally stopped, plopped right on his hind end, and stared at me with the ugliest/cutest grin I've ever seen, sloppy tongue and all. I love how quickly it worked and how quickly my "kids" became pest free.

A few things to note about this product:

1. It is not a preventative product. Meaning that it will kill the fleas already on the pets body, but it will not kill flea eggs or prevent them from hatching. It also won't prevent other fleas from hitching a ride on your critter's back.

2. After feeding the pill to your animal, keep the animal inside or at least in an area that you can keep an eye on him/her. The fleas bites REALLY hard when they are dying so your pet might become spooked and try to outrun the pain.

3. Because the fleas bite REALLY hard when they are dying, try to stay away from your pet during the dying process so that YOU don't end up getting the bejeebers bit out of you.

4. Make sure your pet has access to a lot of water. I believe that the product gave my animals cotton mouth as they couldn't seem to get enough water the day of taking the tablets.

I would definitely recommend this product to anybody that is currently dealing with a flea infestation. Even if you're an anti-chemical kind of person, this might be one of the exceptions as it helps to make your critters feel oh so much better.
2828 comments| 1,028 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 2, 2013
Capstars are made to only work 24 hours. A lot of the bad ratings seem to be in cases where people complain about the fleas coming back.

Fleas will live in your environment - yard, couch, carpet, teddy bears, dog beds, etc.

This ONLY kills the fleas for a day. The normal use for this product is when you have taken the dog out hiking, to the dog park, dog training, anywhere the dog normally doesn't go where it may encounter fleas and bring them into the home. It assures that any fleas will not make it into the home and start breeding and living in the environment.

I've worked at vet's offices for 5+ years and have never seen this product fail; however, at work we give it to animals as soon as they come in to stay the day/overnight. This ensures that a pet with fleas does not spread fleas to the other patients. It does not stop the pet from going back home and getting fleas again.It DOES mean that we have a flea-free environment because we don't allow in fleas in the first place.

If you have a flea problem in your house..you need to use a monthly flea treatment and you need to treat the environment (outside and inside.) As far as I know, there is not a reliable environment flea treatment. This means that you might have to treat the environment multiple times to see a difference. A monthly flea treatment for the dog will assure that any fleas on the dog will die/not be able to reproduce depending upon which product you use.

Capstar kills fleas that are ON the pet for a DAY. It should be used as support for other flea medications, not as a stand-alone, otherwise YES you will have fleas still. It is very effective product. After 7 years, I have not had a single problem with it. I will definitely give the product 5 stars.
88 comments| 660 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
I have used this product on kittens and cats to kill adult fleas reliably. I have prioritized this product for kittens that come into the shelter from drug raids or abandoned houses. It kills almost all of the adult fleas in 30 minutes after which I apply a monthly preventative like Revolution. You can actually visualize the fleas jumping off and dying because it is just that effective. I had a kitten come in with hundreds of fleas one time and had to give the cat a dawn dish soap bath followed up with Capstar. The bath did help some but the Capstar killed all of the fleas that did not drown during the bath. I would not know what to do without this product. It is very safe and easy to dose in pill pockets for cats or with a pill gun if they do not take the pill pockets.
Top Contributor: Petson January 5, 2016
I keep this on hand at all times! You never know when your fur babies may catch a stray flea when they're out to potty or at the park. It only kills adult fleas. You can give this to them as much as you need to... instead of waiting 30 days or more. You should only dose them once per day though. It's peak effectiveness is 4 - 6 hours so if you see your fur baby scratching hours after you've given this DON'T PANIC it's the flea die off. The flea will bite as its dying. We have 4 dogs. Our husky lives in the backyard most of the time. We have a mini Schnauzer, daschaund and Schnau-Tzu (puppy) who all live inside. When I treat one fur baby I treat EVERYONE. I quarter this size (over 25 lbs) up for the smaller dogs & give our husky a whole one. I've found the best way to give these is the find a treat that you can push the little pill inside of. When I don't have a soft treat I will use cheese. My boys don't even hesitate on taking it and neither does our husky girl. For the record it is cheaper to purchase Capstar here than it is at PetSmart! Highly recommended.
on September 22, 2017
This is an excellent product. I'm convinced the people who think it doesn't work don't understand How it works.

If your animal has had fleas for more than a day, you're going to need to do more than pop one pill in their mouths & call it good. This stuff kills all or almost all of the fleas currently on the animal for about a day or so. If your animal has laid down anywhere in the house, or walked through it, or goes back to a field or grassy area where the fleas & eggs are probably still hanging out, they will come back, sometimes within a day or so if you don't follow up.

Ideally, you should treat the area the animal spends time, use this, and use a longer-lasting product like frontline or advantage.

I give my cats capstar, then apply advantage, then, vacuum & wash bedding (I gave up on sprays a long time ago for indoors. There are harsh, use outside only things that will sometimes kill them outdoors. Then, I repeat the capstar dosage in a few days. Then again in another few days to a week. I keep doing that until I can't find anymore fleas at all. Even one means everyone gets another dose. I repeat the advantage II after about 3weeks. (those things start to fade after 3wks, not 4) Works like nothing else I've ever tried ever has and I've tried everything over the years.
on June 3, 2017
These pills have been very helpful during the period when we're trying to clear our home of fleas. My dog has developed an allergy to fleas, and gets dermatitis. It's hard to get rid of every flea in the house and outside, because a new batch of them will bloom and you have to keep spraying and vacuuming, etc., and if you take your dog socializing then you can bring home more fleas.(They are especially bad in our area this year - no freezes for the past couple years.) The dog also has an expensive Seresto flea collar but it's not perfect. With the Capstar we've got a multi-front approach. We can kill the ones that are on her, driving her crazy, and she calms down for a few days and stops chewing.