Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Josh Too and the conflicts PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 18, 2008, 9:36:56 AM PDT
Chud says:
Captain Sobel deserves a memorial. I wish there was a biography about him or a book on his Military Service.

Posted on Jan 15, 2010, 12:57:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 15, 2010, 12:58:34 PM PST
Cami F says:
I think so too. I know that he was very vehemently dislike by the members of the company but I think he deserves respect for the way he trained them. "He made E Company" They were the soldiers they were partly because of him. He made them stronger and brought them together in a shared hatred (intentionally?). I feel bad for him and though I didn't know him and we won't ever know his motivations and what was going on in his head, whether he just was a real big jerk or whether he knew what he was doing, it seems like he tried.
I would like to be able to learn more about him. He's an interesting person.

Posted on Jul 10, 2010, 8:41:33 AM PDT
You should read the end of "we who are alive and remain", it has a chapter by one of Sobel's sons about what he was really like.

Posted on Jul 6, 2015, 11:50:53 PM PDT
Lawn Barnett says:
Not really sure why there is any question about his stature once he left Toccoa. He may have been a great trainer, but that is all that can be said for him. After all, he achieved the rank of Captain @ Toccoa and that was the rank he ended the war with some three years later. Major Winters started out one step behind him in rank and finished the war one step ahead. There must have been a reason why Sobel's superiors never saw fit to promote him further or to give him any more responsibility than that of Supply Officer. True, his training style molded the members of the Currahee veterans into the soldiers they were, but I think it was by accident rather than by intent. I spent 27 years in service to this country and I have met more than my fair share of Sobel's.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Jun 18, 2008
Latest post:  Jul 6, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers