Hill Climb Racing 2 Vehicles Review HPC Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-7 now available on Blu-ray and DVD Shop now TG18_gno

on December 24, 2017
Really enjoyed this movie. I worked for the company who owned the ship involved in this incident. I found this movie riveting from the beginning, especially because it is a true story. Tom Hanks was excellent in the title role. I found myself thinking "Would I have been able to stay this cool in this situation? Definitely worth watching.
on November 30, 2017
I remember watching this on the news, amazed as news cameras showed the amazing shot from a bobbing boat through a hole in another bobbing craft. I was stunned then and was stunned again as I saw it played out in the movie. An excellent movie that brings to life a historical event. You can feel the fear and uncertainty, as well as the triumph and relief.
on April 28, 2014
Captain Phillips is a great story. Tom Hanks as Captain Rick Phillips does a great job. Pirates, US Navy SEALs, hostages, you name it. The one thing it has that it doesn't really need is excess time. Coming in at 2 hours 14 minutes, this story could have easily tied up nicely 14-30 minutes sooner. It would have made for a tenser movie without the feeling of dragging.

Quotable quote uttered by Chris Mulkey as crewman John Cronan as Captain Phillips describes the situation concerning pirates, "I'm union..." Implying it wasn't his job... kind of sums up the state of the nation.
VINE VOICEon March 9, 2014
"Captain Phillips" was nominated for Academy Award Best Picture - well deserved. Barkhad Abdi, who played Somali pirate Muse was nominated for Best Supporting Actor - again well deserved. Tom Hanks, as Captain Phillips, definitely should have been nominated for (and won) Best Actor.

This movie, based on actual events from 2009, was an excellent, thrilling, taut, edge-of-my-seat movie. The acting was superb. The special effects were stunning. I was definitely glad I got this in Blu-Ray.

Both my husband and I thought this was a great movie.
on February 6, 2014
This was a relatively good movie compared to all the other trash being produced by Hollywood. The only issue I had was not due to the movie but liberal maritime law since the Somali pirate captain was not executed immediately but sent to prison for 33 years. If society really wants this stuff to stop then death by hanging should be the penalty for every act of piracy. One other thing that did not make sense in the movie. If the areas traveled by commercial ships are known to be inhabited by pirates, why were crew members unarmed to repel such attacks? They sprayed water at the pirates as the pirates were shooting AK-47s at the ship. Does not make sense but either does liberal thinking.
on November 5, 2016
Tom Hanks is fabulous as always in this role of a cargo ship and it's crew being terrorized by African pirates. Based on a true story many of us watched play out on the news. great ending and good to see the bad guys get what they deserved.
on March 12, 2014
To have these large ships sailing the high seas with no protection is nuts. Might be good to know how much the US had to spend to rescue the Captain and his grew vs. the simple procedure of having some contract guards aboard with M-60's and a rocket launcher's would have stopped the whole thing cold! A few of these and the pirates would look for other work. And to read this guy his rights and then an American trial is also nuts to my way of thinking. I am sure someone will find a way to get him paroled before he serves his time at additional tax payer expense. Film was well done but the whole PC and ROI concept is just maddening!!
on July 5, 2017
Great movie! Heavy drama and action. Not for kids---violence. Tom Hanks is superb, as is the other "captain." It's one of those movies you can't take your eyes off of in case you miss something. Highly recommend.
on March 30, 2017
the ending (Capt. Philips in sick bay) is worth sitting through the entire movie. Tom Hanks is superb in that scene, as is the movie-making in general - masterfully done!
on March 17, 2014
The story of this brave captain's rescue by Navy Seals was all over the news. I knew how the story began and how it ended so I didn't think this was going to be that great of a movie but I was so wrong. There was so much that I didn't know and I found myself thoroughly caught up in the movie. Tom Hanks, as usual, gave an excellent performance. The fact that this was a true story only made the movie more interesting. I soon realized that the beginning and ending were all that I knew. All the stuff in between was riveting.