Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Captive Trail (The Texas Trail Series Book 2)
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now STEM

on August 30, 2011
Captive Trail by Susan Page Davis ISBN-978-0-8024-0584-5

The second book in the Texas Trail - Morgan Family Series continues in the excellence of the first book. In Lone Star Trail we know that Billie Morgan and her horse were gone, Comanche's. They continued searching for her but assumed she may be dead. She was nine years old at the time.

Taabe Waipu is escaping the Comanche camp. She had an opening for escape and took it. She would not marry Peca and be tied down to the Numinu for the rest of her life. Pia had been her sister since she was taken all those years ago and she loved her and the baby but Chano, Pia's husband, thought she should marry Peca, a warrior who enjoyed raiding. Taabe took one of the fastest horses from the six Peca had left at their home as a way of asking for marriage and left with all the speed she could. Several days later the horse fell into a hole and Taabe was thrown off. She awoke in pain and the horse was gone.

Ned Bright and his partner, Patrillo Garza who went by Tree, live on a ranch with run a stagecoach from it. Tree is a widower with four rambunctious sons and Quinta, the nine year old daughter, was already a wild cat and a spoiled one at that. Tree is now the station agent at the Bright-Garza Station and Ned was the driver of the stagecoach from their ranch to Fort Chadbourne, delivering mail and any paying customers. It was his first day. Their passengers were not ones who would pay though, two Sister's going to open a girls school.

When Ned and Brownie, the shotgun rider, seen a body in the road they were concerned it was a trap. When Sister Natalie jumps out of the coach and heads for it Ned makes quick work of getting there first. It is a woman. The Sister's insist she stay at the Mission house.

The Fort's Captain sends out feelers for missing girls to see if they can discover who Taabe really is. She no longer speaks or understands English. She was punished in the early days of her capture if she spoke English. Many people go to the Fort and then are taken to the Mission to see if Taabe is their daughter, even if the description did not match these people were desperate to find their missing children.

A really good historical adventure with a touch or romance. The threat of Indian raids, not always knowing who you could trust, Taabe's struggle with the language and adjusting between the Indiana and white world. Looking forward to the next four books in this series. The first two are excellent even as they are written by two different authors.

Book received through NetGalley for review
on January 31, 2016
Taabe Waipu is a survivor. She survived Indian captivity as a child and now it seems that she has barely survived escape from the dreaded Comanches with whom she lived for many years. Severely injured when her horse falls, Taabe is discovered along a stagecoach route by driver Ned Bright. Ned carefully oversees Taabe's recovery at a mission school inhabited by Ursuline nuns and manages to forge a tender friendship with the young woman.

Just what is the beautiful "sun-woman's" story and can Ned miraculously find a way to reunite Taabe with her original family? Does he even want to? Will the determined warrior following Taabe give her up without a fight? This captivating story is yet another example of Susan Page Davis's ability to weave a satisfying western tale..
on July 3, 2015
Captive Trail is the second book in the Morgan Family Series and focuses on the character Billie Morgan that was briefly mentioned in the first book, Lone Star Trail, as she was a victim of a kidnapping by Comanche Indians and though her family desperately tried to find her, they were unsuccessful.

This story begins with the escape of Taabe Waipu (Billie Morgan's Comanche name) and expands on the trials that she faces in assimilating back to society. There are several characters that help her including a group of nuns that are starting a school for girls where she is given refuge and begins to put her life back together. The writing was well done and I liked the development of the characters but I did find some of the scenarios a bit farfetched.

I found it very interesting that there are two completely different authors for each of the books in this series. This helped give you a different tone of writing from a new characters perspective but you were still kept on the original story line, I thought it was a really original idea and it works very well. However, Captive Trail is lighter on a Christian message and though there are many references to God and Jesus, the message is in passing.

I was given this book by Moody Publishing for my honest opinion.
on January 24, 2012
I accidentally read this book out of sequence, and read it first. Quitet frankly I am not sure if I would have read the rest of this series if I hadn't. I truly enjoyed this particular book but when I have read other mixed author series they seemed to seamlessly interwrite the books. These seemed much more separated ... except for having the last name Morgan and occassionally (in the other books) references to the Morgan horses, there were very few references between the books of characters which is something I personally always enjoy in series.

This book I truly enjoyed where it started out Ned finding Billie (Taabe Waipu) almost dead after escaping from being held captive for many years from the Indians. He was also accompanied by a number of Nuns that were going to be setting up a school They took her in an harbored her, I liked how kind they were, taught her to live once again in the "white" world, taught her about God ... and overall kindness at the risk of their own lives. It is a bit different than many other books and I think tha was part of the intrigue ... even different from other captive books, and I felt definitely worth reading.

I think this book takes one back to those times of how unsafe one had to feel, how vulnerable you were to the Indians ... it had to be frightening ... I know I thought alot about it afterwards ... and I hae read so many books in my lifetime, just something about this book kind of haunted me for a number of days... however, I have to admit I have order number 4, and will most likely preorder #5 & 6 ... have to see this darn storyline to the end now ...
on October 24, 2011
Captive Trail is the tail of Taabe (Ta bay) Waipu, a captive of the Comanche Indians. She was taken when she was about nine years old and the life with her white family is now a distant memory, but as the tribe pressures her to marry a man she doesn't love, Taabe, makes a daring escape. However, her horse trips and falls, leaving Taabe in the prairie alone, fearing for her life.

Ned, the stage coach driver, with a stage full of nuns on their way to a new mission in Texas, comes across Taabe. She is bruised and unconscious from the fall. Ned takes her and the nuns to the mission where she can be nursed back to health.

Taabe has been a captive for so long she has forgotten English, making it hard for her to explain her situation, but through many lessons by the nuns and the patience and understanding that Ned offers Taabe learns of her true identity.

As Ned searches for Taabe's family the Comanche are hot on the trail, determined to bring Taabe back to the tribe.

What unfolds is a gripping tale of strength, courage and love. I read this book in two days. I couldn't put it down! Susan Page Davis is a master story teller who puts a lot of thought and research into her books!

This is one book in a series of six, written by three very talented authors.

It left me wanting more!
on August 28, 2012
I think I have mentioned I have a habit of picking up books because I'm attracted to the covers. This is yet another example. The contrasting blues and oranges are eye catching but there is something about the girl's face, half hidden behind her hair that grabbed my attention.

Captive Trail offers a unique look at one of the many dangers faced by frontier families for it was common practice among the Texas tribes to take captives. Some were tortured and/or ransomed but many were assimilated into the tribes as slaves or family members. The experience is illustrated in the Texas Trail series through the story of Taabe aka Billie Morgan. Picking up eleven years after the events of Lone Star Trail, Taabe/Billie has lived more than half her life among the Comanche. Faced with an unwanted marriage, Taabe/Billie makes a desperate bid for freedom and the past she barely remembers.

I have to hand it to Davis. Like the previous novel, Lone Star Trail, the author had to struggle with a multilingual cast. Instead of flooding the text with bits of Comanche, Davis focused on the frustration the characters felt at their inability to communicate. As a reader, I really appreciated her handling of the issue. It was easy to read but at the same time, it offered a very personal perspective on the characters.

I was also impressed by Davis' handling of the more controversial events of Taabe/Billie's time with the Comanche. I don't want to give anything away so I wont go into detail but it is a very realistic possibility in the life a captive. A applaud the author's decision to include it.

Captive Trail is a heartwarming edition to the Morgan Family saga and a charming follow-up to Lone Star Trail. Recommended to fans of the Spirit of Appalachia series by Gilbert Morris and Aaron McCarver.
on December 7, 2012
The life of our early pioneers is one we do not identify with very easily. The hardships they faced, the primitive conditions they lived under, the constant fears from all directions were so numerous and difficult, it is hard to imagine parents deciding to take their children into such situations. Having lived in Texas, this setting is of special interest to me. And, because of living in the south as a Christian, racial relationships and prejudices add to the special interest. I can understand the parents' continuing hope that their daughter would someday be returned to them, if indeed, she is still alive. The hopes and fears of the child as she matures is understandable and made believable in this story. I love seeing the sisters showing no prejudice and being willing to care for anyone no matter their race or background. Any parent who has lost a child would pray fervently that some one like the sisters would be available to care for the lost child. This book depicts the anxieties and the never-ending hope that anyone would have for a loved one who disappeared in such a way, and the unceasing prayer that the child would be cared for through the difficulties he/she would be facing. This story teaches us to prepare our children for difficulties, not only spiritually, but physically, so he/she would be able to fend for himself/herself in whatever circumstance should come. I have thoroughly enjoyed this series and recommend it. I am so glad the story of this lost girl was brought to conclusion and that we were not left hanging, wondering what became of her.
on August 30, 2015
This story was interesting from the very start. I could hardly put it down, eager to find out what happened next. I loved the rapport between Taabe/Billie and the nuns and the progression of her finding her true identity again at that mission which had become her new little world. The only disappointments I had with the story was that the reader never got to know anything about Ned. His identity was completely limited to his interaction with his friends in the stagecoach business and the fort. I had no idea what he looked like or anything about him. We didn't even get to see what he was like from Taabe/Billie's viewpoint, all we got was her thoughts on how she looked forward to seeing him, but there was zero physical description and no back story on him that made him seem like a real or appealing person as the story hero. He was a 1 dimensional character, so the love story part of this book, for me, was almost non-existent and unnecessary. Her reunion with her white family was also kind of rushed and 1 dimensional at the end of the story too, I think the author could have actually omitted that entire part and just let the reader imagine it. I enjoyed the book for the rescue and recovery part of the story, not the love story. Even without any romance in it at all, this still could have been a very riveting and thoroughly enjoyable story.
on December 5, 2012
I really enjoyed this book. It was a surprise to read about a captive anxious to be back among the whites usually it they don't want to stay with whites again after living with the indians so a little different story then usual. I like any of the westerns with women in them and this one didn't disappoint me.
on January 25, 2015
An escaped Comanche captive looking for her true family. An Ursaline mission run by the Sisters who nurse and protect Taabe Waipu. A stagecoach driver who will stop at nothing to reunite Taabe with her family. And a band of Comanche warriors who want their prisoner back.

The second book in the Morgan Family Series takes place about 12 years after the first book Lone Star Trail, and it does stand alone if you choose not to read the first book. Beginning in 1857, we follow the story Taabe Waipu in her journey to discovering her true identity. She has been with the Comanche for so long that she has forgotten almost everything, even English, except for the fact that she does not belong with the Comanche. She finds a safe haven with the Nuns at the mission and a friend in Ned Bright, the stagecoach driver. As her affections for Ned grow, so does her doubt. Will he accept her once he knows the secrets of her past? As time progresses, Taabe relearns English and can communicate more about who she is and inquires are sent from families in Texas that have lost children to the Indians. Will she ever find her family? Will she be protected from her captors, or will they find her and force her return?

I thoroughly enjoyed reading Captive Trail. The “Old West” is one of my favorite time periods to read. I was skeptical at first because each book in this series is written by a different author. But because it stands alone, there were no real comparisons to make regarding changes in characters. Susan Page Davis does an excellent job of continuing the story of the Morgan family. This book was a pretty laid back easy read. The first 18 chapters (there are 24 chapter in all) were mostly building to the climax, that I knew was coming, but wasn’t sure how it would all come about. But it wasn’t boring. We learn a lot about Taabe’s character and learn more about her life with the Comanche and the heartache and sorrow she had to endure as their captive. I highly recommend this book for a quick read if you enjoy learning about the perils and danger of life in the time of Cowboys and Indians.

I received a free copy of Captive Trail from Moody Publishers in exchange for my honest review.