Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning Moonlight Moonlight Moonlight  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now toystl17_gno

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$5.99

Showing 1-10 of 25 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 52 reviews
on October 19, 2016
This is a good, solid offering from Ms. Campbell. While Tempting the Devil is my personal favorite, I find everything she writes to be well worth the consumption.

In this plot, Ms. Campbell presents a heroine who has escaped cruel treatment at the hands of her family. She's assumed somewhat of an alternate identity, although it's invented off the cuff when she's discovered by the hero, injured and in need of help. Yes, this is familiar to us as readers of romance. What's nice is that it's somehow entertainingly new.

Although I didn't find Ms. Campbell's usual use of powerful characters and plot devices to be as strong in this book, it still manages to be sweet and engaging. I should mention, in using the word "sweet," I don't mean a sweet, clean read. All of Ms. Campbell's love scenes are appropriately graphic in nature so if you, as a reader, value less detailed love scenes, keep that in mind. Still, I never find Ms. Campbell inappropriate or offensive in those scenes; however, I'm hard to offend.

What I did have minor difficulty with was the pace of the charade between the heroine and hero and what seemed to be a slightly rushed dramatic encounter with the heroine's family at the end of the book. I also personally prefer a stronger heroine and, since I'd read this book after reading more than one of Ms. Campbell's offerings that presented strong female leads, I was a tad disappointed. Still, I think the order in which I read her books, back to back (all very standalone), probably affected my opinion in this way. In its own right, this is a solid, entertaining, and well-written read for a rainy afternoon.
on October 13, 2013
This book was well written. The characters were real and believable and the story was sweet, dramatic and exciting. Great love scenes, (essential) and a beautiful romance. I loved the heroine, Charise (although I wish I knew how to pronounce her name correctly :)). She was well drawn and always in character. She was strong and brave yet still feminine and vulnerable. The description of Charise's turmoil during her ride through the bitter storm to save her hero was gripping and well done. The hero was an amazing man and the first sex scene was so fueled with emotions I was spellbound to see how it would play out. I'm not a psychologist so I can't say if the realities of how he overcame his issues are plausible. I can say, that for a romance reader, it was a satisfying outcome. Loved this story.
on August 27, 2013
I'm always in the market for a good angsty romance - normally I browse the paranormal romance section, but I'm delighted that branching out into historical romance led me to this gem!

The hero, Sir Gideon Trevithick is as tortured as they come, which makes his journey to love all the more compelling. He believes his torture and imprisonment in India has left irrevocably damaged. He cannot save himself, but he cannot resist trying to save the battered woman he finds on the road home. Lady Charis Weston, like Sir Gideon, is more than she seems at first glance, and proves equally strong and determined to find the man beneath the physical and emotional scars.

I finished the book in one day - it was that good and I definitely recommend it for all of those angst junkies out there.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon December 30, 2012
I adored this book and I know that it's full of angst but the author does such a good job of getting the reader involved, that you just have to keep going. I loved both the H and h and my heart broke for them more than once.

It's a story well worth reading because of the character development. The reader becomes emotionally invested and seriously wants them to get their tea.

Loved it!
on March 10, 2016
I hate disliking books. That said this book has way too much inner dialogue. I agree with other reviewers that there is much unneeded angst. I skimmed a lot of the book and read mostly the dialogue. Don't waste your money.
on May 31, 2015
I loved this book! I have never read a book by this author before and I'm very happy to have discovered Anna Campbell! My favorite was that characters were not typical cut & paste stereotypes. Particularly the Hero. Very multi-dimensional & in my opinion author did a great job showing how hero & heroine felt, describing what they were going through, She really painted a picture of their emotional journey & growth. This novel is very well written which is so refreshing after reading so much lately on kindle that's poorly written & not edited, feels like. Would recommend!
on June 24, 2016
This book is about Sir Gideon Trevithick and Lady Charis. Gideon finds Charis in his horse's stall after she escaped from her stepbrothers. She has been beaten and her clothes are torn and dirty. She gives him a false name and does not tell him her true story. Gideon feels protective toward her and insists on protecting her. I. Loved this book so much that I read it twice It is a wonderful love story and I highly recommend it.
on November 11, 2009
At long last! Dear Anna has done it again by inventing a story which does not remind you of another, with an irresistable hero, a wonderful heroine who has self esteem, pride courage and sense for a change, and a story so tensely wrought with adventure, it keeps you hanging on every line. I had read many books prior to this which did not deserve the paper they were written on, but this story made up for the previous disappointments.

Sir Gideon Trevithic is returning to his estate in Cornwall after serving his country in India. He returns a hero but what he endured there has left him with serious physical and mental scars. He is haunted by nightmares brought on by his ordeal, suffering from insomnia and panic attacks in the proximity of people,unable to bear the company of others ,except for two trusted friends. He simply cannot tolerate any form of intimacy, not even that of a handshake. This tortured man has ample compassion however, so when he comes across a severely abused woman hiding in the stables, he insists on helping, though he realizes that her pitiable story is a fabrication.

Lady Charis Weston is running away from her two stepbrothers who threaten to rape her, after having beaten her beyond recognition in an attempt to make her accept the hand of a man of their choice, . She is England's wealthiest heiress who will come into her fortune on turning twenty one. If she marries before that time, her husband will control her money. She must therefore, remain in hiding for the next three weeks until her birthday. If her brothers find her, she'll be forced into matrimony and then conveniently disposed of once their goal is achieved. When she's offered a ride by this kind mysterious man, Charis accepts with relief and gratitude, although she must escape from him as well. She is aware that once he finds out her true identity he will have no option but to return her to her lawful guardians.

Gideon, is determined to offer sanctuary to this girl, no matter what the inconvenience to him. He takes her to his home which, despite its neglect, retains its grace and beauty, much like our broken hero, who remains noble and courageous. The heroine also acts with strength and resolve, agreeing to mary Gideon when she realizes it is the only sensible option. But she is not about to passively accept a marriage of convenience to a man who shirks at her mere touch. She has fallen in love with the strong, magnanimous man who at times seems vulnerable and fragile , his sanity hanging by a thread. Charis has fortitude, challenging this man's deep seated insecurities, patiently reawakening him to love, passion and trust.

It is an intensely emotional book, the hero and heroine remarkable in their courage yet they do posses human weaknesses which make them lifelike.Their characters are multilayered , parts of which are revealed as their love grows. The atmosphere is palpable, I felt as if I was watching a black and white movie like 'Jamaica Inn', so vivid are the descriptions of the landscape ,weather, the roads and cities. The suspense is intense as the stepbrothers are desperate and prepared to go to any lengths to get their hands on Charis' fortune. I absolutely loved it and wish that there were more writers who could write with such flair.
on November 21, 2009
I'm so excited to have stumbled upon this author! Loved the story, everything was just right!

Charis is the wealthiest heiress in London, but her step-brothers want in on the riches...rather then throwing in a spoiler, I'll just say they're not nice men. Charis runs away only to find Gideon, who's just returned from being tortured in India. Gideon has some issues, but falls hopelessly for Charis, he wants whats best for her so attempts to turn her away, before finally caving...turning her away, then finally accepting. Charis and Gideon are both great characters, not up there with my favorites, but I'm just so happy to stumble upon a good author whose books I haven't already read that I can't help but rate it 5 stars...
on September 17, 2014
Overall I thought this was an enjoyable read. However, the three stars come from some excessive repetitive scenes and repetitive thoughts. There were many phrases recycled throughout the book that grew tiresome. I enjoyed both the hero and heroine though I felt the heroine was a little contrary. She can't be completely weak and completely strong. I felt she needed to show more consistency in her character.