Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 453 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 494 reviews
on October 14, 2016
Perfectly fine for the price. If you are looking for great HD video in the dark, then obviously you are going to want to upgrade. But I paid under ten bucks for this, and it does exactly what I expected it to do. It is well disguised.

It seems to record in 10 minutes chunks at a time. The sound is okay, but be aware that its field of view is VERY zoomed in. So if you want to get a full scene, you will need to be a good distance away. It is also very poor in low lighting, so only plan on using this in a place with full lighting. The manual teaching you how to use this is difficult to understand, but with a bit of trial and error, its operation is easily picked up.

Not complaining for the price. But remember, if you want something with HD, a wide field of view, decent low light performance, or long length recording, look elsewhere.
on October 1, 2016
I bought this to use on a flying arrow or model rocket. This was a brick from the time I opened the package. When I plug it in to the provided USB cable, the cable immediately heats up to a dangerously high temperature. The product will not turn on or do anything at all.
*Update* I found another USB cable, the cable they sent me was a dud. It took some looking, because it's an old USB connection type ("mini", not "micro"). Now I can charge it, and am trying to decode the ridiculously worked instructions to figure out if this unit will film anything. *update* after hours of charging, it still does nothing: will not power on. Now the charging light doesn't come on anymore. This thing is a brick. I am returning it, and may buy another, after so many reviews said the product works.
on January 27, 2014
Pro's:

The price
Lightweight
Very simple plug and play system
Basic controls that are easy to use
LED functionality is adequate
Good battery life, decent charge time

Let me go over the cons:

The video and photo quality is very poor. Surprisingly, it's the still photo's that look worse. But I don't mind that as I got this for video. the downside to it being so lightweight and so small is that even the most slight movements will look very jarring on video. And let's say you are recording while walking, and you try to walk as smooth as you can, and hold the device as still as you can, it will still look like you recorded it while driving offroad in a Jeep.

Also the fact that the back is curved means it will not sit completely flat, and that the video image will be tilted. Also the drawbacks of not having a viewfinder really become significant. I had to have a handful of "practice sessions", where I would go out and record so I could get a good idea of how the aiming works. Because the camera lens is so small, it is difficult to really know where the camera is pointed and the borders of it's capturing. You simply have to learn this with repeated use. In the beginning I learned I had it tilted too high up.

The audio is okay. The video I found is very poor quality for the first second or two, but if you keep the camera still, the image quality improves. Also the camera, like most cheap cameras, do not perform well at all in low light conditions, but thats okay and it was something I anticipated. Also there are 1 second gaps where there is no audio. It's not too often and its so brief that it's not a big deal.

The one glaring issue my device has is the time/date stamp is static and cannot be changed. Videos always begin with the same date and time (2008, Jan 1, midnight). There is no way to edit or remove it without some in depth modification that will risk ruining the device. If you have experience with modifying electronics and are comfortable with soldering and working on circuit boards, then this might be acceptable to you. I was not comfortable with soldering circuit boards, or using custom firmware that could potentially brick my device, so unfortunately the incorrect time/date stamp will remain, and I will have to resort to post editing if I need to remove it.

The device is very inexpensive, it is silent and discreet as advertised, but the video quality makes my iPhone 5 camera look like a $950,000 IMAX Cinematic camera. The cost is also compounded by the fact that you will likely be spending $7-$10 on the MicroSD card for it.

Also be aware there are around a dozen different variations of this device and they range in quality. You can google "keychain 808 camera" for more information on the different types, and ask the seller if they can tell you which one they will be sending you. And the instruction manual included has very poor english, and when I looked up online for better translated directions, the directions given did not work for mine because it was for a different firmware. But I figured it out, and once you do it's pretty straightforward.

If it performed better and had better video quality, I could see myself using it in a larger variety of situations. But as it is, I will only be using this camera when being discreet is a must, and I cannot use my phones camera.

This is a luck of the draw kind of situation. You could end up getting a device that works better and has a higher quality camera in it. Or you could do worse and have a device that doesn't work at all. For the price, it's worth a gamble.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 15, 2014
it did work out of the box, was not hard to use ... I have no clue how to set the clock and its limited instructions are not telling. The pix it took were OK, useable in most lighting but hold camera steady or its a blur. Video recording is not bad, in fact pretty impressive for the camera price. Even when doing a fast pan video seems crisp/stable. The audio worked, it produces loud thumps as your hand or key chain moves but that aside the mic seems sensitive enough. Since its one light goes out to indicate recording, Its not always clear if/when it is recording.
Assuming this unit works when you need it this could be one handy little camera to have in hand and available for many situations. (Not that other reviews paint a picture of a dependable product... but so far so good for me).

A follow up... it died a day after first use. Looks like it works but writes nothing on SD card anymore. Oh well....
on November 16, 2013
If you want to get this to actually be able to take a video or picture, don't waste your time. The video is poor quality, but at least you can see what is happening. The still photos are horrible. It doesn't matter if you take the picture inside or outside, the end up extremely grainy and blurry. I took the first pictures acting like I would if I wanted to take a "spy" picture, I couldn't even see what it was. So I tried holding it extremely steady and kept an eye on the light so I knew when the picture was taken, it was a little better, but still very blurry.

I've uploaded a couple of pictures taken with this thing. One was taken outside on a bright day. I held it extremely steady and watched the light to make sure I didn't move it before the image was captured. The other is inside in a fairly bright room. There's a dog laying on the blanket on the floor, I can hardly even see that it is there.

I realize this is less than 10 bucks. But it isn't even worth that much. Save your money.
review image
on December 27, 2013
I was actually surprised (especially for the price I paid) at how well this works. We got it because I wanted to record an IME appointment (yes, I know I'm not supposed to, and in a perfect world, I wouldn't have to). My husband had it in his pocket, so it looked just like a car remote. He was easily able to activate it, and it filmed most of the small room we were in and got most of the exam in the picture, even when I had to get up and walk around for him. It recorded the entire length of the exam from start to finish. And even though the doctor was speaking quietly, it picked most of his speaking up as well. The quality of the picture and sound was impressive - especially for the price. The software was easy to use, and I was quickly able to watch, and transfer it from the keychain to my computer minutes after the appointment, for safe keeping. Obviously, we're not talking amazing, or high, or top quality or anything like that, but for what it is, and what I paid, I am very impressed, and it did it's job.

(As a side note, in case you're wondering, yes, I realize that I won't ever be able to use the video, but at least our lawyer now knows what questions were asked, and can ask the doctor questions about those questions. Because it's not a perfect world.)
on November 22, 2016
Put simply, it just doesnt work. None of the lights operate as specified in the instructions. You can power it on, hit the record button and the light goes out like its recording, all thats correct, hit the record button again and it flashes letting you know the recording has been saved, thats correct. Then the light goes solid and no button pressing can change it, it wont turn off, it wont change modes, it wont record. You have to reset it (with the reset button) for it to start all over again. Take the card place it in a pc and theirs nothing recorded. Shows the spot like theirs a video their but the file size is 0. I would not recommend this to anyone.
on September 2, 2014
It works OK but it isn't great. It would not work with my 16gig memory card. I bought a 4 gig memory card and it started working. The video quality actually isn't too bad with plenty of natural daylight. Since I want to use it with my model rockets it will probably be OK and if I lose it, I haven't lost a lot of money. The video quality was degraded when recording inside at night with normal room lighting but passable. The audio is barely adequate. It drops a lot video frames while recording or hesitates. I assume this is while it is writing to the memory card. Like other reviews I recommend taking a look at http://chucklohr.com/808/index.shtml
The version I received didn't exactly match any of the versions shown but mine most closely matched the type 23 I hope to upgrade to an official full HD version at some point but don't mind using this one as a guinea pig for a few rocket flights.
My second one, I may buy a third. Really works nice if there is enough light. Of course the Chinese directions are a F'ing joke but you can see demos on how to use this on U Tube. pretty simple. I agree with many of the positive reviews here. The clock is hard to set (I never did). Video quality is good if scene is well lit. Does not work in most rooms at night lit by electric lights, not enough light. This is not a 'wide angle' lens, it is the equivalent of perhaps a 50mm photo lens. You have to have it back a bit so it can get everything. Will record for about 80 minutes or more. Download and/or recharge by simply plugging cord into it and a USB port. When you do so Windows will see it as a separate drive and you can view and/or save videos immediately. While you are filming there is no light or beep, it is clandestine.
on January 25, 2014
I am happy that I received this product before the expected delivery date (YEAH!!), but the instructions that came with the product are absolutely no help. Of course, this item has had a long trip to me (from China, to Supplier, then to me), so it's still charging... so I'll update this review after it completely charges and I have a chance to use it. My PC (OS=Vista) recognized the 'camera', and it looks like it has setup a default folder for downloading both pics & vids (separate folders) to my PC. The best resource(s) I have found, because of the lack of ENGLISH instructions, have been from other successful uses on YOUTUBE. Their advice, so far, has proved very valuable. Thanks Guys/Gals. I'll update this later with results as soon as I have some. But delivery was quick.... I also bot a pocket-pen with a camera, but limited (compared to this unit) recording time / options. At least I can later compare the two (I'll look at how long these have been available in the States, as well as their comparable performance).
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse