Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning ballerss3 ballerss3,
image-map-link=rect  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite uncharted Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 45 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 59 reviews
on January 24, 2014
Lots of great recipe ideas in here. But if you're truly trying a low-carb diet this book doesn't have truly low-carb recipes in it. "Lower" than standard vegetarian fare maybe, but to me there's no way I could do Atkins or another low carb diet with most of these recipes.
on April 4, 2012
After deciding to put my family on a completely plant based diet I did a lot of research and digging to find really tasty, not too fattening, recipes. I was in for a big surprise. A lot of vegetarian recipes are full of cheese and pasta. And a lot of vegan cookbooks were all seiten and sauces. I wanted tasty, savory, healthy, not too processed, recipes. If I wanted to bring plants to the table I knew they had better taste great. And I don't want a bunch of gluten seiten slathered in BBQ sauce. Why is that healthy? Then I came across this book by Robin Robertson. I have made several recipes and they have all been fantastic! I like that most of them use vegtables and grains without a lot of vegan junk. Robin really delivers. I have since purchased more of her books and they are just great. Wonderful meals, easy to prepare. You can't go wrong with this one.
on May 8, 2015
This review is long overdue. This is one awesome vegan, lower-carb cookbook. And make no mistake. Although the title states vegetarian, it is thankfully all-vegan.

I eat totally plant-based now, and I find I just do better on higher protein lower carb eating. This book fits the bill! Absolutely delicious, simple, lower carb/glycemic recipes that can fit into any vegan eating plan.

Frankly, now that I've refined my eating and know what works for me, I'm sick of all the "no fat added" "tons of vegan "healthy" starch is good for you" cookbooks. This one is perfect for me...and maybe for you too if you're tired of all the hype. I wish there were more vegan cookbooks like this one. Highly recommended.
on February 22, 2015
Lots of wonderful recipes to try! I bought this because my husband has a cholesterol problem and does not want to take medication, so he had adopted a primarily low-carb vegan diet. This cookbook gives me lots of ideas to make him for dinner, and all the recipes are actually vegan, with options listed at the bottom to make vegetarian (like replacing soy cheese for ricotta cheese, for example). I take away a star only because I believe a truly awesome cookbook has color photographs, and this one doesn't have any photos at all -- plus, it's printed on regular matte paper, so it does not wipe well.
on July 17, 2017
The recipes in this book are great. Real whole food, no odd Frankenfood substitutions. Most of the recipes are not just vegetarian but vegan so that is nice. The food is about healthy high fiber carbs or real low carb food, rather than the carb phobia I have seen in other (diet) cook books. We have many favorite recipes that we make frequently. I have also have been inspired by some of Robin's ideas to create recipes of our own. I have many vegetarian, vegan, and low carb cook books. This one gets pulled off the shelf the most often. I'm on a hunt to try more of Robin's cookbooks.
on November 7, 2010
I just received this recipe book and have already identified a number of recipes for meals this week. The recipes contain ingredients that are easy to obtain in my somewhat rural area. I really like that the author provides the nutritional information for each recipe (including calories, fat, protein, carbs, fiber, cholesterol and sodium). Although I was looking for a low-carb vegetarian recipe book, I am also concerned with fat and cholesterol content and the recipes in this book also appear to be conscious of those as well. Lacto-ovo vegetarians could easily substitute regular cheese for soy cheese and add eggs to some of the recipes.
on March 2, 2011
I loved this cookbook. My daughter is a vegan and I was concerned that she wasn't getting a balance of proteins in her diet. This cookbook really gives some great recipes from an author who has researched the foods and combinations that give a healthy diet without resorting to high starchy carbs. I will order it for myself as well even though I eat meat. It's always a good idea to include more vegie entres and go without meat as much as possible. I have cancer and am really looking into how diet influences health.
on April 1, 2012
I have several go-to vegetarian cookbooks which have similar recipes. I was looking for recipes with more vegetarian protein sources, such as tempeh and seitan. There are only a couple with the former and the latter isn't even mentioned. Maybe my fault for assuming low carb equates to higher protein.
on September 30, 2007
I am not a vegan/vegetarian, but wanted to add more low carb vegan meals to reduce the amount of animal products we eat and to reduce carb intake as we are both pre-diabetic. Well, I am thrilled with this cookbook! I bought 7 vegan cookbooks recently, but I've cooked almost exclusively out of this book alone, and so far, all of the recipes have been GREAT! The 'Portobello Patties with Charmoula Sauce' recipe is out of this world! And the Cashew Creme is decadent. I loved the 'Edamame, snow peas, and bean sprouts with Ginger-lime Vinaigrette' salad. And the 'Victory Garden Stew' was excellent, although I added garlic, since I'm a definite garlic lover. Finally, I've tried every burger/cake recipe in the book with various sauces and have loved them all.

You can't go wrong with this cookbook, although some of the ingredients may be hard to find, such as artichoke hearts - but I haven't given up, there's got to be some gourmet shops out there that carry them!

If you want a cook book that contains a variety of TASTY vegan recipes, then this is the book you should buy!

Sherry
on January 4, 2010
We bought this book because we were searching for a vegan cookbook that was focused on fresh, unprocessed ingredients and didn't rely on processed, faux meat products. We were not disappointed! Ms. Robertson has created a collection of recipes that anyone (vegan or otherwise) will enjoy. The ingredients are easy to find, and most of the recipes are quick to prepare. The nutrition information for each dish is also helpful in planning a satisfying meal.

Some of our favorite dishes include the Guacamame (I will never eat plain guacamole again); Sesame Coleslaw with Daikon, Snow Peas, and Ginger (a huge hit at potlucks); Szechuan Portobello Mushrooms and String Beans (a little tofu and chopped cashews turn this delicious side into a main course); Fennel & Artichoke Gratin with White Bean Pesto (pureed white beans replace the heavy cream...so delicious!); Crispy Tarragon Tofu Strips with Mushrooms, Lemon, and Capers (like chicken picatta only waaay better); Black Bean & Sesame Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms (this will convert non-vegans it's so good); and Apples & Oats Flaxjacks (my husband asks for these every week).

Bon appetit!