Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

Color: Black|Change

Showing 1-10 of 49 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 55 reviews
on September 15, 2017
Work great, look great! We have black metal railings in our house and these match perfectly. Mounted them at both the top and bottom of stairs, both wall-to-railing and railing-to-railing with the optional square clamps. If you have narrower railings, you may need to hit the local hardware store to get the right size screws. Other mounting hardware/accessories listed on the manufacturer's website, along with a flowsheet to guide you to what you need. The flexibility to have up to a 30 offset allows you to hit the stud, even if it's not directly across from the railing. See attached photos. The clamps are all unfinished wood. I spray-painted them with black semi-gloss and it looks great. Most importantly, they are sturdy, easy to operate one-handed, and our daughter doesn't have a prayer of getting out on her own. Would use the SS-30 Stairway Special Gate for top-of-stair locations, since the latch is even harder for a kid to open and still easy for an adult to do one-handed.
review image review image review image
on September 2, 2014
If you have dogs, and we certainly do, you'll probably have collected several wooden "baby gates" (we had three) in an attempt to keep the dogs out of certain rooms or areas of your house.Two of our mini Dachshunds figured out how to climb the wooden gates, and we were at a loss as to what to do next. We were very close to making one of our solid interior doors into a Dutch door, but before we got out the saw, we decided to order and try a Cardinal Auto-Lock pet gate. BINGO! Easy to install, easy to use, and dog-proof! It helps to have a semi-skilled male partner with Power Tools who can hang the gate properly. Ours are set so they will not automatically swing shut, which is handy when you plan to be going in and out of a room more than once at a time. A gentle push closes them and a slightly more forceful push engages the locking catch. I award this product all five stars AND a grade of A+++!
on August 4, 2013
This gate is super sturdy, all metal. No pansy plastic latches or clips. It is super easy to install because the bar along the mounted side has a metal strip with two holes. No need for crazy measuring and readjusting like many of the other gates, it automatically fits and works the way it should. We use it as a toddler gate on our front door, to keep him from going on the porch sometimes. I chose it partly because it is all metal and partly because it locks when you swing it shut behind you. Not automatically, but this is what we wanted. Also, it swings both ways, so you can use it practically anywhere. It is slim in profile and looks neat and tidy. It is slightly more money than most baby gates, but it is WELL worth the extra money, you won't have to replace this one and you can use it for multiple kids to come. The only VERY minor downside is that when it closes, it is a little loud. But you can buffer the sound by latching it with your hand on the clip. I highly recommend this gate, we are very happy with it.
on September 17, 2013
We have two of these covering the entrance to our kitchen and the steps going to the basement. Originally purchased to keep a puppy (now 100+ pound Briard) dog secure at night. We later had a child that we did not want falling down the basement steps. This gate has pulled double duty!

Installation upfront can be a bit tricky. My second gate installation was much smoother after putting the door in upside down. Advice as always, is read through instructions twice, and carefully measure / drill. You will have to drill holes on either side of the door frame. The gate drops into the side opposite of the gate mechanism and held in with a ring pin. Gate locks with the ring mechanism by turning it inward and opens by twisting outward.

I most appreciate that you can open the gate from either side and it can swing either way (barring any obstructions). It locks shut with a good swing and stays locked. Our kitchen is an open doorway so we can work it both ways. After some time the gate may get a bit squeaky/grating but not an issue in terms of function.

It is definitely child resistant as it requires a upward pull on the circle handle to release the gate. Our 2 year old understands how it works but doesn't have the strength or leverage to pull it up and out. He does love to slam it close though and rattle it like a gorilla.

Our dog knows that when it is closed he can't go over, so he settles right down.

Overall very nice gate.
on March 23, 2014
First off, I would highly, HIGHLY suggest not using the screws that come with the kit. Go to your hardware store and buy longer screws, and make sure the bottom side of the head that screws into the wall is flat. I used the ones that came with the kit initially, and they came out of the studs, and started ripping the plaster out of my wall (yes, plaster). When I got new, longer screws, and put them in, it stayed flush to the wall, no ripping, and is much, much more solid.

This gate is easy to open, even with one hand, and I really like the fact that there's no bar on the ground to step over like other gates.

The mechanism that locks the gate in place and releases it, is designed quite well. My only worry is that it swings both ways. I have this mounted at the top of stairs to keep my young son from tumbling down the stairs. Naturally, the first time he saw the gate, he grabbed it and started shaking it. He's done this a hundred other times, but nothing has happened to the gate, and remains securely in place.

The reason I worry though, is that the gate itself does not seem as sturdy as comparable gates. I wouldn't say it is totally flimsy, but it's just not as solid. And while the locking mechanism seems to work well too, I worry about it popping through the other way, despite the small piece that is supposed to keep it from pushing through (this is an optional add when installing).

Of course, I could just be a worrisome father, and I still think this is better than a pressure mounted gate for the top of stairs.

Overall, I think it is a good gate.
on November 26, 2012
For me, this is the best gate design on the market for several reasons.

First and most important, when open, there is nothing to step over. No tripping hazard at all. This is critical if you are going to install it anywhere around stairs.

Second, the gate itself swings almost completely out of the way when open, unlike most others that leave just a narrow opening. The gate is removable from the hinges when need be.

Third, the latch is easy to work, but by angling the hinge a bit, I made gravity hold it closed ( or open ) and don't even use the latch most of the time - ultra convenient, and so far the dogs haven't figured it out.

Installation is fairly simple if you're at all handy, and can be as sturdy as you want to make it. I recommend finding studs to mount the hinge and latch to with proper screws, especially if you have a big dog that might rear up and put his weight on the gate, which would surely pull out drywall anchors.

The manufacturer offers a wide range of additional clamp-on mounting hardware for stair bannisters and other situations.

The only issue is that the set-screws are a little short, so I used a couple of pennies as shims, which saved 18 cents over the previous reviewer who used dimes.
on October 19, 2015
Perfect, just what I needed to have easy access in and out of my kitchen with a wheelchair. Swings
and locks behind me, either coming in or leaving the room. I had to hang it lower than the directions
suggested because I have two small dogs that could squeeze under the door. The lock is ease to figure out and
installation was fairly simple and took my husband probably 30" to do the job.
I have been using it more than 4 months now with no problems.
on May 10, 2012
We use two gates in our house to keep the dogs where they are allowed to be. Needless to say, it gets really old trying to get from one end of the house to the other (we call it the panama canal). For years we have put up with two plastic gates that use an odd side lever that expands the gate to press against the sides of the doorframe. It is awkward to use this, so we often end up trying to step over the gate. After falling on my face twice in one week, I said enough, there HAS to be a better option out there. After a lot of research, I came across this gate and tried one. The difference is night and day. This gate is all metal and extreamly easy to open with one hand. You just pull up on the ring and twist in the direction you want the gate t swing. You can give the gate a gentle push and it will swing closed and latch itself. I love it so much I am ordering another one right now to replace the other gate. The only cons have been mentioned in other reviews - you'll need to supply your own longer screws if mounting through drywall, and it is a bt loud when closing, although this can be lessened with some cheap stick on felt pads. Buy this gate - you will be glad you did.
on May 27, 2010
Was easy to install -- much better quality than the other baby gates we bought at Babies R Us. In fact I was soooo disappointed with the gates at Babies R Us, I did quite a bit of research --> found the Cardinal website to be very informative, with videos, about how their gates function. I rarely write reviews, but I think these Cardinal gates are much better than other baby gates on the market!

Easy for my wife and I to quickly open and close -- with just one finger. This gate is perfect for a high traffic area.

Agree with some other reviewers though, you do need longer screws if securing one end into a stud through drywall. I just used a couple drywall screws -- worked great.
on August 12, 2010
We needed a gate to keep our two cats upstairs. This gate is the perfect solution. Its lightweight, easy to open, and can be operated with a single finger.

I was concerned that the hardware would not be durable, but so far its been just fine. It looks like it will meet our needs for a long time. There are no plastic parts, except a couple of bushings that keep the gate from directly contacting the metal rod about which the gate pivots. The latch mechanism is also all metal.

Installation was very easy, 20 minutes - and I'm a slow mover. The only thing I changed was I substituted two inch wood screws for the short screws supplied. I also made sure they went into studs.

I don't know if this gate would be useful for a child, once they reach a couple of years old. But I don't have any direct evidence for that opinion.

I was prepared to pay a lot more to find a gate that does everything we needed. We are very pleased with this purchase.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.