Industrial Deals HPC Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Red and Rose nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Garnet Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon harrypotter harrypotter harrypotter  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now

on March 12, 2017
This is the fourth in a series that I began when the third one had just come out. I've really enjoyed Jeffrey Archer over the years, so whizzed right through the three earlier ones and was eager for the rest of the series. So I'd forgotten a bit about the Clifton family as I started this one.

If you haven't read any of the Clifton Chronicles, you may want to get all seven of them and then read them pretty much back to back, as I actually had to go back to my earlier reviews and scan them to get back to speed, but I'm glad I did.

As you can guess that family saga began with the forefathers of Harry and Emma Clifton and this book starts with a fatal accident in which you believe that the Clifton's son Sebastian has died. Well, its only the first of many twists and turns in this tale that moves the family up through the 1960s. This is power, wealth and plenty of intrigue and of course a death or two.

Not only is there the accident -- that wasn't -- and a vendetta that continues, but now there are upheavals in the family business, the Barrington Shipping Company. Then there are the troubles that follow the Cliftons' adopted daughter, who is unaware of the pitfalls of her family history. The Cliftons and their enemies live large and often on the edge, so prepare to be hooked into this dramatic tale and carried along throughout the tale.

Archer can create wonderful, memorable characters -- whether good guy or villain -- and it is no different with this book. While I rarely stick to a series (especially ones in which I start to hate the main character ...), this one has got me hooked and I do believe I'll be following the entire set. Three more to go!
on October 22, 2016
Not quite as good as the first 3, but enough suspense to keep the reader going. The saga of the Clifton and Barrington families continues into the 60s with all the usual suspense and the addition of new characters and villains. Archer is such a good story teller and this multigenerational series is so engaging that the reader is drawn in by the novel's twists and turns by the end of the story. It's always a case of who will live and who will die who will fall in love, and who will betray a lover, a friend, or a business partner. The pace is fast and the action compelling. Start this series with the first one to get the back story of the Barrington and Cliftons. As Time said, "Archer is a master entertainer," and he does keep the reader entertained.
on April 11, 2014
I have read nearly all Jeffey Archer's books and admire his talent for telling a story, if not always the way he writes. This is the fourth book in his Clifton Chronicles quintet and I have of course read the previous three. I bought this one pre-publication date as was very keen to find out how the cliff-hanger ending of the previous book would be resolved. Rather as expected.

Overall, a disappointing read and not up to his usual gripping standards. There are some very clever ideas that the "badies" use and he certainly brings in intriging aspects like the IRA connections. I got the impression that he rather rushed this one and is running out of ideas that will entrall. I hope the final book will leave readers wanting more Jeffrey Archer but please don't write another series as I like the ending to be final. The usual Jeffrey Archer scenarios are all there: politics, art, auctions, successful business people, establishment and of course a bit of romance. He's good at them but the reader wants something new now.

I thought the first one was the best. The Chronicles are a series so don't read them in the wrong order.

Overall: It didn't really come up to my expectations but I can't wait for the final one! Hope it will be a bit longer and wonder how up-to-date it will become. Anyone who has read the first three will doubtless buy this book so is this review really worthwhile?
on March 6, 2017
This 4th book of the series is good with another cliffhanger ending. Now knowing who died in the car accident, we are faced with who dies in the ship explosion....... It seems the recently introduced family of villains are about to depart and once again the focus will be on the Clifton and Barrington's.
on August 7, 2017
Well crafted story line that held my interest and kept me reading late ever night until I had finished the book.
What I liked about the book - there was no gratuitous sex or bad language - and no terrible dark torture. Just a clever story.
I immediately ordered the next book
on April 1, 2015
As someone said, 'If there was a Nobel Prize for fiction, Jeffrey Archer would get it.' I add, 'He would get it every year with every book.' Being a serious contributor to his coffers which I hope enables him to live in the style to which he must by now have become accustomed, I loved this book like I did all others; especially the fact that I was enraged enough at the ending to seriously consider throttling him with my bare hands until I thought to myself that if I did that I would never know what happened next. I am glad I didn't because along came the next book and I was rivted once again. Until predictably at the end I was once again looking for Jeffrey Archer to kill him but didn't for the same reason. All I can say is that I hope I die before he does because I can't imagine living without a new Jeffrey Archer book to look forward to. I know this is not really a review but then you want to read the book yourself - not a review. So go buy the book now and start reading - and you will understand the meaning of the term, 'Time flies.'
on August 7, 2014
I enjoy Jeffrey Archer's books and I especially enjoyed the previous books in this series. This one, however, veers from the normal path. I tired of it quickly because it seemed to be more about another family rather than the Clifton/Barrington family whom I've been following in the previous books. In a series, to take a departure and devote much of a book to different characters than those with whom you have developed an interest, seems indulgent. The reader is hooked from the previous books and expects to hear more about the characters with whom you've developed an interest. I was disappointed. However, because of the cliffhanger ending (and I do mean cliffhanger) I will have to buy the next one when it comes out next year. I can only hope it will get back on track with more development of the Clifton/Barrington story line.
on August 28, 2017
This was a great installment in the series, but the first one where my mind began to wander... I didn't give up at all. I just wasn't always engrossed in the story as I was before. I'm onto book 5!!
on December 17, 2017
Loved this whole series...on book 5 right now and 1/2 way thru...Jeffery Archer is a master storyteller and this "Clifton Chronicles" does not disappoint. The generations of the Cliftons' take you on highs and lows, dealing with evil and of course good....trying to read every spare minute...sorry it's almost over!
on November 27, 2014
Certainly the most vast of the Clifton Chronicles where characters and story-lines are concerned, Be Careful What You Wish For is a magnificent read. The introduction of various characters and stories in this book and the previous book of the series resulted in lower focus on individual characters, but alternatively greater focus on the Clifton and Barrington clans as a whole. One notable point is that this book is the darkest in the series, with the concept of 'justice for the wronged innocent' not being pushed through. It could be argued, however that this merely allows the story to remain consistent in that the Clifton Chronicles are not a tale of triumph, but rather a tale of exemplary individuals overcoming the challenges created by evil men in a world where evil men can do harm.
Ultimately, this was a very interesting story and it ended with me longing for the next one in the series. It also ended with me confirming what I had suspected for about a decade - Jeffrey Archer is probably my favorite writer.