Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Careless Love
Format: Audio CD|Change

I had never heard Madeleine Peyroux sing before until last weekend, when a friend played her new CD, "Careless Love," for me. I was enchanted at first listen. Since then, I have heard many people couple her name with Billy Holiday's. I don't want to be contrary, but I don't want to compare her smoky smooth sound to anyone else's either. To me, there is no other like "Lady Day," nor does there have to be. And Ms. Peyroux, who brings sensuality and a romantic languor to her songs, certainly does not have to stand in another vocalist's shadow. She clearly stamps her excellent collection of songs with her own special style - and a very classy one that is.

The content of this CD is quite diverse, ranging from Hank Williams to a WWII favorite. Many of her cuts are romantic ballads which deal with heartache and love gone wrong. A melange of jazz, country and light blues, backed by rhythm-guitar, and occasionally a low-key Hammond organ, she covers Hank Williams' "Weary Blues," Leonard Cohen's "Dance Me to the End of Love," and Bob Dylan's "You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go," and makes them her own. The WWII era torch song "J'ai Deux Amours," and "Careless Love," the Bessie Smith oldie, are terrific. A cover of Elliot Smith's "Between the Bars" is sung with a haunting melancholy and is probably my favorite cut, along with a song called "No More." "This is Heaven To Me," lovely and lullaby-like is pure heaven to hear. And "Don't Wait Too Long" is an original co-written by Jesse Harris and producer Larry Klein.

A fine band joins her, including Larry Goldings on the keyboard, bassist David Piltch, guitarist Dean Parks, and drummer Jay Bellerose.

This is one of the best CDs I have heard in a long time. Needless to say I bought myself a copy the day after I heard it. It merits a spot in the collection of anyone who loves great jazz vocalists.

JANA
4 helpful votes
5 helpful votes
on August 8, 2017
I was torn at the begining because I heard 75% Billie Holliday and 25% Peggy Lee. But it quickly became clear that rather than being an imitation, Peyroux was simply naturally blessed with a voice, style and grace that combine aspects of these two great singers. Peyroux adds a tasteful selection of material that is not easily categorized and avoids -- and hopefully will continue to avoid-- the tempatation to succumb to girlie pop and soundtrack shlock. Her interpretations of Leonard Cohen and Dylan materials are stunning. Her own compositions are great. Let's not wait another 8 years for the next one. We could be looking at a great and long lasting mega career here. Bravo!
on September 9, 2013
With a touch of Billie Holiday in tone & manner, singing songs from several time periods with music from Hank Williams to Leonard Cohen, Madeleine comes out with a new musical mix in the 21 century. Some write that she is too much like Billie Holiday trying to be a near carbon copy, but I disagree, she fades in & out of that mode of expression & has a style all her own. I have been listening to Jazz LP's for the last couple of months & I am use to a certain openness, this 21st century recording CD is very poor. It's all center stage with no to little separation. Do I hear a "Hiss" or is it coming from the snare drum? Come on Helik Hadar the recording engineer, where is your technology, I got recordings from the 1950's that sound better then this.

Overlooking these imperfections Iam going to add other Madeleine CD's to my collection. I don't see any LP's available.
on July 14, 2015
Madeleine Peyroux's voice is perfect. The mood is french lounge. The jazz flashback nature of this album brings to mind simpler times. I will definitely purchase more of her music in the future.
on August 7, 2017
Great!
on August 28, 2017
No complaints
on December 11, 2014
I can drive to this, fly to this, sleep to this, or cook to this. She's wonderful. The seller is great, too!
2 helpful votes
on January 27, 2006
In this recent cd, Madeline Peyroux defines herself more as a stylish singer,handling material with consistent emotional color.Her cover of Leonard Cohen's "Dance me to the end of love" gives a romantic womanly cynical twist in contrast to Cohens' dry stark version.
Most hear the echoes of Billie Holiday in her rose-colored vowels and her dark-chocolate intonations. She has a folk-inspired jazz sensibility that seems to fill a void in the current jazz-vocal scene that is unimaginative.
Madeline does a sultry performance, encouraging a following that appreciate mature depth in contemporary female vocals.Her style has several influences and is difficult to peg down.
Ironically the 'real" person doesn't go for all the hoopla,and runs literally away from her success.She spent years as a street singer in Paris,which is why her sound is so sincere and at home in itself.Her music has almost a folksy jug- band quality at times.Her influences are Parisian ,New Orleans etc.
At first listen I couldn't dismiss the "Holiday" influence dominating her sound,but time did ammend this.I now listen to her without the nagging ghost of "Billie". I am hearing Madeline.
4 helpful votes
5 helpful votes
0Comment|Report abuse
This album is musically delicious. The only thing it needs to have five stars are fresher, more interesting lyrics.
on April 15, 2014
There is no question that Madeleine Peyroux has a soothing voice! I saw her at a live concert in Los Angeles, and she was superb!! I do have to admit that the program was short, but excellent and intimate, nonetheless. I have this to remind me of how well she sings. I am a fan! My neighbor also fell in love with her. I do not want to compare her with anyone; however, her style and voice reminds me little of Billie Holiday, a legend!!!