Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Carhartt Men's Big & Tall Journeyman Belt,Brown,48
Your Garage Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Benjamin Leftwich Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Water Sports

Size: 48|Color: Brown|Change

VINE VOICEon November 14, 2011
The belt is working fine so far, however please keep the following in mind: this is bonded leather, not a solid strip of leather. Carhartt, like many other companies, has unfortunately decided to deliberately obfuscate this fact. There is no mention of this on the listing page or on labels that came with the belt itself. What is the problem with bonded leather? Bonded leather is the leather equivalent of plywood. It is thousands of tiny leather scraps which are pressed and fused together into one piece. Unlike a solid piece of leather which will take literally decades to wear out, bonded leather belts typically wear out in a couple of years, sometimes sooner. If companies want to sell bonded leather belts because they cost less than solid leather belts then fine; I just ask that they be more up-front about it. Again, the belt is working fine so far but I was very unhappy to find that it was bonded leather and this fact was not disclosed on the listing page.

EDIT: 7/15/14: The belt has still not worn out. So, unlike many other bonded belts this one has lasted well so far. So, please take this into account. Bonded or not this has been a good belt so far.
44 comments| 219 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon June 9, 2010
This belt is well made and looks like it will last for many years so I'm happy with my purchase.

As per the "sizing instructions" link, I ordered this belt one size larger than my waist size and I wish I hadn't. I'm wearing my new belt on the last notch so if it stretches with age, I'll need to cut another hole. I'm guessing that Carhartt belts are generously sized to accommodate cold weather clothing.

EDIT: July 9, 2010 As predicted, the belt has stretched so I've made a new notch. Otherwise, I'm still happy with the quality of the product.
on January 8, 2011
I have bought and used dozens of belts over the years but never seen on delaminate which is what my Carhartt belt is doing after less than 6 months of use. There is a laminated layer on the leather and it is chipping off on both the top and the lower edges of the belt. It reminds me of the cheap shiny belts with a layer of plastic that over time.

I have tanned leather belts that I bought decades ago while in college and they are still intact. It seems harder and harder to get good quality goods and not have corners cut to make short term gains at the expense of customers. Very disappointing considering that Carthartt is supposed to be making clothing for job use which should be more durable than most and instead it is cheap c**p.
on August 9, 2011
I purchased a black and a brown belt for my husband and he likes the style and quality of the belts. Of course we were both surprised and disappointed that they are made in china though. It was difficult to find where that was stated on the belt, but it's there imprinted on the inside of the belt's edge.

Update: I've been noticing that my husband no longer wears either of these belts. He said they just keep stretching and stretching and he got tired of them not holding up his jeans any more and he had to keep making more holes. Being he hasn't had any weight loss; I guess this is what you can expect from a belt bonded with leather pieces. For the price, I did expect better quality!
on May 21, 2010
Well made mens belt ideal for outdoors or mens casual dress. heavy duty like you expect from carhart.The leather is not stiff and dry nor is it too soft and not durable. The quality of perfectly tanned leather and excellent craftsmanship is apparent.
on October 24, 2010
Never really go wrong with the quality and craftsmanship of a Carhartt product. This is a real nice made belt, you can change the buckle too if you wish. You just have to buy another buckle. I buy nothing but Carhartt now, great for work and everyday bumming around. Bought my last belt at that K mart store and what a piece of junk compared to this belt. You work hard and deserve better, go buy yourself a nice belt that you will have for years. I like to buy a bigger size belt and use a leather hole punch to make more holes. I got a size bigger that I'm supposed to go, but thats just me. I'm a 44 waist but I order a size 48 belt. This belt for me would have been just fine at 46. But I like my belts a little bigger.

I ordered another Carhartt belt, got to wait to receive it. Very happy with my purchase.
This CARHARTT BELT is beautifully made and will undoubtedly last a very long time. I purchased this for my husband, who has trouble finding belts that not only fit him but are comfortable enough to wear all day. We were a bit concerned about the width of the belt, which we were afraid wouldn't fit easily into standard belt loops. But no problem there - the belt works fine with all of his pants.

The leather is smooth and rich, the color is deep and even (we bought it in brown). It seems to run a bit large, so keep that in mind - if we had it to do over, we would have chosen one size smaller.

Overall, great belt in larger sizes - and at a very reasonable price.
on September 11, 2011
A good, solid belt for the working guy (or woman, don't want to forget them). This item, like most Carhart stuff, is well-designed, and serves its purpose well. It's heavy enough to hang a few tools off, but flexible and comfortable enough to wear all day on a 90-degree, 90% humidity outdoor work site (trust me on that, I've done it). And it does hold up pants quite well<grin>, even if all the pants pockets are filled with tools, water bottles, all the stuff a worker needs to get through the day.
I'll be buying more of these, for sure.
on July 18, 2011
I needed to get a bigger belt (unfortunately most local stores stop at size 44 in) and preferably one that won't tear apart after a few wears. I decided to try Amazon and I was definitely not disappointed. The belt is good quality leather and so far is holding up well to wear. My only complaint is that the belt is very limited in holes despite the large size. That was fixable using a drill to create two extra holes. Otherwise it's a great product! I'll never buy those belts at Walmart or Kmart again!
on January 25, 2012
This belt fits great and keeps my pants up pretty well, I got it at the max which is probably a little bit too long for my waist. I personally think that the only minus point is the belt doesn't catch into any "hook" on my pants and its left flapping around. And not having some catch to slide it under like my older belts, makes it a little bit of a downer, but I'm probably just not used to it. This belt feels solid and I'm pretty sure it will last a long time.