Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Carhartt Men's Oakman Sandstone Twill Original-Fit Work Shirt S09
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Chris Staples Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Water Sports

on February 3, 2010
I'm not sure about fashion, but these shirts can't be beat when it comes to comfort and durability.

They are cheaper (less than $30) in a midwestern farm supply store, but for this city slicker Amazon is the way to go.

One note: they tend to run a bit big. Good if you like them roomy, but if you're slim (or just not overweight), consider getting a size smaller than you usually wear. For dress shirts I wear a size 15 neck, 32-33 sleeve and Carhartt's size Small is perfect.
on May 9, 2015
A review you can actually use to judge sizing. Rather than saying things like 99% of reviews I read on clothing and shoes like "I love it" "Fits great" "Does not fit" "Disappointed" "Hubby loves them or hates them" which basically tells you nothing, I will say I am 5'11 175 lbs, male, and usually wear between a large and an extra large because my arms may be a tad bit longer than the majority of shirt manufacturers make their shirts. Well, this is a good quality shirt and pretty heavy duty but the sleeves will be short if you order a large and your near my size. I don't even wear it because they shrunk up and have to be rolled up. I gave it a three because my arms are not really longer than normal I don't believe. It's just that shirt manufacturers make sleeves too short. The rest of the shirt fits great. Just the sleeves are too short, so if I had ordered an extra large the sleeves may have been right but the rest would be too big. Good luck.
on January 18, 2011
One of my late, larger than life uncles could warm the air with a stream of salient cusses so unique that no one minded. One thing he liked was Carhartt's quality. Some things remain, and I continue to appreciate the workmanship in Carhartt products. This is one generously proportioned, carefully constructed work shirt; these guys don't skimp. For once, if you order an XXL, it will be really roomy. So, if you normally find XXL a little too big, the X-Large may be large enough. You get every penny's worth from this totally practical shirt, it's truly durable and will last a long time while looking professional. The only caveat is be aware that this soft and comfortable high-quality shirt consists of thick heavy-duty fabric, appropriate for cool/cold weather. Carhartt provides the real thing, this is not for ornamental or pretend-work wear. A Borgnine thumbs-up. Enjoy.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon February 17, 2014
Having just gotten Carhartt's pocket-T's and finding the Large just right, I bit the bullet and bought the twill shirt to wear over the t's for early morning hikes and walks in what has been a very mild winter.

Pros: The material is heavy, but moves with you. In other words, it's not a jacket, but a heavy shirt.
The twill is extremely comfortable. It is very soft, yet you can tell that it's "sturdy" and will wear well.
The Large fits over a heavy T, but fits perfectly without being tight around the middle.

Cons: The sleeves are about an inch short. I have worn a 16x33 in a long sleeve shirt for over 30 years. This is about a 16x31.5, BUT if I had gotten the Tall XL, the cuffs would cover my hands. (See their sizing chart.)
This is not a box cut as the photos show. It's meant to be worn inside the pants. Not a deal breaker, but disappointing.
The label (nylon) stitching at the neck scrapes and chafes. It had to be carefully removed.

Will I buy another? Maybe, but I can't say for certain. If it shrinks in the wash, probably not because I don't want to go through the process of trying an XL. If it doesn't shrink and the shorter sleeves don't "bind" when buttoned, I probably will. Stay tuned for washing results.

ew
on February 7, 2011
My husband typically wears a Large (like in Gap, Banana, or Target brand shirts) but I ordered a Medium and it fit perfect.
on August 13, 2010
Perfect sizing, great fit and style, very high quality material. This shirt is worth the money and I imagine I'll get a few years out of it. That alone makes it worth every penny.
on April 3, 2016
The fit:
This review is for those skinny guys who is wondering if this would fit. I ordered size small. I am 5'7", 115LBS. I was worried I would be swimming in this shirt, but actually it looks quite ok as far as a work shirt goes. The trunk section is not baggy at all and actually perfect. The shoulders and arms look a bit too big for my narrow shoulders but not that bad either. The product photo on the model shows more or less accurately how the shirt fits if you have a well build body. Interestingly, the neck part is small. I have a pretty thin neck and it fits perfectly, so if you have thicker neck you may not be able to close the top button.

Layering:
The best part of it is that it is large enough that I can wear Pendleton wool plaid shirt underneath. In this combo the fit looks perfect on me. It is not constraining at all and I can still move around. So for me this doubles as a WORKMAN-CHIC shirt jacket for cold days.

Sleeves:
Many reviewers complain about the shortness of the sleeves. For me it is perfect. However, I have not washed the shirt yet, so if it shrinks it would be a bit too short. I always line-dry my clothes and never use dryers (Dryers shortens the longevity of the clothing. Why contribute to the carbon emission when you can just let the sun do the job?) so hopefully the sleeves would not shrink much.

Color:
Dark brown is really dark brown. It' a chocolate or coffee color. Love it!

Fabric:
Thick and sturdy but not too stiff. Perfect. The weave is tight enough so that in future I might experiment with Otter wax and make it into a water resistant shirt-jack.

Construction:
There are some loose threads in the button holes. Otherwise it is nicely sewn. Mine is made in Nicaragua.
on October 28, 2015
I'm 6' 1" 155 lbs and finding medium shirts that fit me right isn't the easiest. All other Medium work shirts I've bought (Dickies, Walmart, among many) start out a hair short/tight and end up unwearable after a wash or two. Large work shirts from the same brands are about the right length - or still short in some cases - but make me look as though I'm swimming in an extra yard of fabric in the girth of the shirt. This is the first work shirt I've bought in a while that fits me the way a work shirt should. There is no tightness in the shoulders, no too short hem, and the cuffs fall to the wrist with a little extra sleeve (but not too much).

The fabric is a perfect thickness that achieves long-lasting sturdiness without being overwhelming or heavy. I haven't had the need just yet but I have no doubt this shirt will layer well beneath a jacket and be very comfortable.

I got to wear the shirt this past weekend while four-wheeling around Snowshoe PA. The first night was sub 40s and this shirt (with a light beer jacket) kept me warm late into the night as we did maintenance on our machines. The next day I added a medium weight thermal layer beneath the shirt and I was snug as a bug riding in 45-55* temps (and sparse showers) in the Rzr 800.\

The leather Carhartt patch is a great touch that is missed on some of their other products and significantly reinforces the hardy feel of the shirt.

Con? The washing instructions state "wash separately" but that's only really a problem if you don't have 5 or 6 (which I soon will). Washing a single shirt though is somewhat problematic.
on January 20, 2015
This is one workhouse of a shirt. It looks great in casual wearing... but as soon as I picked it up from the package, I was struck by how thick and heavy duty it is.

It holds up extremely well through the day, and really looks good with jeans.

I've always trusted Carhartt to provide extremely high quality goods at very reasonable prices. They are a company who understands hard work and the need for clothing that can take punishment and hold up well.

I have no qualms about recommending this shirt (and their products) to anyone.
on October 10, 2014
Ordered a medium, which is always my size. The was way large, even across the shoulders, which I have never experienced before. Tag on the shirt says "Original Fit- A working man's fit with room to move." Translation: if your grossly overweight with a beer gut, this is the shirt for you. Also, I ordered moss and the color is nothing like represented in the picture. It's so dark its hard to tell it green. I thought of exchanging for a small but will go to the brick and mortar store to try on first. Fortunately Amazon's return procedure makes the process super painless.