Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Carhartt Men's Blended Twill Work Chino,Navy,36 x 32
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now

Size: 36W x 32L|Color: Navy|Change

on October 29, 2011
As the title says I was previously a Dickies 874 fan. I liked the cut of the pants, and seat wasn't baggy, but it was snug. the seams straight and fasteners zipper and hook function with confidence. Front Slash pockets and 2 rear welt pockets while standard fare I would not call overly generous especially the front pockets. The biggest annoyance, how old they look after just a few washings. Fade and pilling of the fabric generates a sigh from me who likes to look smart at work, and play alike.

Time for a change. Enter the Carhartt B290 Work pants.

While I have always been a fan of the Carhartt Dungerees and Overalls, both of which I own and enjoy. Their durable build and tripple stitch construction and Duck Fabric are made for hard work and play alike. As much as I would love to wear them to work all the time at the office, the Overalls would be a bit much.

The B290 work pants are a great addition with there more substantial fabric density of polyester cotton blend vs. the Dickies 874 work pant. The fasteners hook and zipper have a more robust feel though new the welt pocket buttons are a bother being so stiff and all the fabric. Stiffer is the word of the B290, in contrast to the more soft 874 work pant. Seams are straight and the tripple inner seam is a nice durable touch.

I have seen interesting comments in regards to the pockets here. It seems there is a variability in their capaciousness. I purchased one size Khaki smaller I am a between sizer more on that later) and they are generous and robustly sewn. Deep and able to swallow up my Droid 2 and fat wallet in one pocket while my assortment of keys....geez am I a locksmith or what collection with ease. The one size higher found the pockets perceptually shallower in space. Go figure.

Fit and wear.

As in the paragraph previously I note I am a 'tweener size wise. So I purchased the size that was lower size and fit is snug but still more room in the seat department. Sitting as much as I do my bottom is happy with the extra cut. The thighs are full in cut as well, but not making me looking like a circus clown or any such thing. Waist is a bit larger than stated, good for me in my chunky build, maybe not so for the more slimmer of set and build. Cuffs are neatly sewn and fit over my shoes nicely, and the permanent center crease is just that.

Going on my size to the right of the catalog, I am noticing only a slight waist bunching and fuller seat, I am not "Gansta" style or anything like that but I notice the hips and seat have more wider latitude than my smaller size purchase. (I ought to just loose more weight and stay with the smaller size.)

Washing I agree with other reviewers the pants remain a bit stiff, I don't really see that as a liability as just how the pant is. They are holding up well. Better than my Dickies 874 or even my double knee Dickies, another long time favorite of mine. Ironing is not really necessary as long as you remove as soon as your pant is dry from the dryer. I find removal and a firm snap shake fold and hang, and they are ready for work or play later.

Colors in this review, Black, Dark Gray, Khaki. I have not tried the Navy color, next to be added in my collection.

Shrinkage is very minimal so you can buy true to size with confidence. I believe it is a warm wash, cooler dry and all is good.

Keeping clean as worn after the wash is easy. Water just beads on the fabric due to its protectant embedded in the fabric. I have not spilled anything like coffee on them etc. so I cannot attest to the protectant efficacy in this area.

As an aside I received complements for dressing up more than usual. I had to laugh, because these are afterall work pants not formal or serious dress pants. Pretty funny I thought. I commented, it amazing what a little ironing will do kiddingly.

In Summary.

These pants are smartly cut for the work environment yet still have some of the tough values and durability that my Dungerees have, but in a more professional office friendly scheme. While they will never replace my suit pants anytime soon, unlike my Dickies 874 pants, they offer better fit, more robustness of build in the fabric choice, the tripple stitching inseam and the washing and still looking new vibe vs. the Dickies that look trashed after just a few washing showing wear and all.

The curiousities are the pockets that seemed to vary with my size choice, remember I bought 2 sizes and noted the pocket depth difference. The waist size can vary as well. If you can try them on before you buy it is always a safer bet, shrinkage not being an issue you can buy true to size so one upping to counter shrinkage is not really needed.

So in the metrics.

Fit for me at least a 5
Finish and construction 4.5 found some errant threads around the fly easily eliminated. Hook and fly perfect operation every time, the rear pocket welt buttons a bit fiddly when using them. Seams straight and neat. Tripple stitch inner seam a plus for durability.

Comfort and cut 5, the stiffness maybe off putting for some, but I didn't find it a bother. The generous cut is welcome for my frame at least anyway and is great in my sit down or run around world at work.

So in summary Carhartt continues at least for me to impress with the product quality and enhancement of my wardrobe for work and play whether a raincoat or my overalls, or dungerees, the B290 is a fine addition to my Carhartt clothes arsenal.
Thank you for your time reading my thoughts and opinion.
V.C.
on December 19, 2010
These are heavy duty work pants. I bought one each of Navy, Khaki and Black. All are well constructed of heavyweight fabric. The pants look sharp and wear well.

I found the thighs to be a little tighter than expected based on the size. YMMV.

I found the pockets to be mediocre in size. I could fit my hand and wallet, or my hand and keys, but not my wallet and keys in the same pocket. Overally, they were about an inch too shallow and an inch too narrow for my expectations.

The pockets were heavy-duty fabric as well, and would hold up. It's also possible that you could easily expand the pockets with a strip of fabric inside, but that's a pain.

These compare well and slightly exceed the durability of Dickies' brand work pants, which are another favorite.
on July 24, 2013
I have trouble finding casual slacks for my work. I work in an office and I had concerns they might be more suited for outdoor work and might not look nice enough to wear in the office. I was very pleased that they look as good as any other "business casual" type pants that I wear at work. Very pleased with everything about these pants.
on June 3, 2013
Being an IT Service Technician, I am on my knees and under the desk pretty much every day. I was worried that these pants wouldn't be 'nice' enough for work, but they look great in an office environment. Other brands of work pants would wear out in 1-3 months, however these pants have been going strong for a year and a half (and barely look used). They are wrinkle-free: they look ironed after a quick run through the dryer and stay that way for a week or so (I usually wear the same pants for about a week). They aren't as soft as regular pants, but they do soften after use and washings. Strongly recommended if you find yourself wearing out regular pants.

Pockets are not an issue for me. I am currently fitting an iPhone 5 in my left pocket, and my wallet and keys in the right pocket with no issues. (36x34 size)
on November 5, 2013
Cut well, leg length is pretty accurate (I don't know how precise it is though, as I've only tried on 1 pair so far) and these are FAR more comfortable than the Dickies 874. They are also significantly heavier, which I take as a sign of quality, though your opinion may differ. Overall, nice enough to be worn to the office, but also durable enough to be worn out to a factory floor.

UPDATE:
Just wanted to post an update on the quality of these pants. I used these to crawl around on a factory floor to take measurements of a production cell in a factory that makes automotive fuel takes. The floor was dirty, grimy, and likely had all kinds of chemicals that should definitely have stained my pants. I ended the day with huge black marks on the knees and at the bottom of the legs. I feared the worst, but washed the pants any way. To my utter amazement, 100% of the stains came out. I am profoundly impressed with the quality of both the fabric and the fit of these pants. If you are thinking about buying these, do yourself a favor and get a pair. You will not be disappointed.
on February 27, 2014
I've been wearing Dockers for well over 20 years, but as many reviewers note, their quality has taken a drastic nose-dive lately while the prices continue to creep up. Additionally, their sizing is comically inconsistent, to say the least.
I've been on the hunt for a new style/brand of pants for work. I'm in an office most of my day, so I need something at least "business casual" looking, but I have to go out in a warehouse from time-to-time, so I would like something that is a bit tougher than your average dress pant.

I'm a big fan of Carhartt clothes, have a bunch of their stuff, and have always liked them. I decided to try these out, and I was a disappointed enough to return them.

I wear either a 36" or 38" waist in every pant I've owned for 20+ years, and I get a 36" inseam if I can (I'm 6'7" tall), though I usually have to deal with a high-water 34" inseam since that seems to be the longest you can commonly find.
I ordered a 38x36, and found that the 38" waist was pretty good compared to other paints I own. The 36" inseam, however, was insanely long. Like 40" long. Strike one.

The material was super-tough, as I had hoped. I ordered the navy blue. The problem was that the material had a sheen to it that made the pants look cheap. I suspect that the khaki-colored ones might not suffer as much in this regard, but as it stands, these just weren't going to work for my needs. Maybe if I were to just wear these for the "dirty work" instead of trying to make them presentable in an office, then I would probably care a lot less. More subjective than the sizing issue, sure, but still not making me happy. Strike two.

Finally... the "pockets". The front "pockets" on these were merely just a suggestion of a pocket. My whole hand couldn't even fit in one, nevermind a few keys on a ring or my (small) phone. I don't need cargo pants, or pockets that go down to my knees, but if I can't keep my keys in the pocket, then that is a deal-breaker for me. Strike three, these pants are "out".

Pros:
Super tough material.
Sturdy stitching.
Great price (I paid twenty-six dollars for them, delivered)

Cons:
Bizarrely long inseam. Not as labeled.
The front pockets are merely a token. Not useful in any regard.
The navy blue pant has a sheen to it that suggests a "cheaper" material than it really is.

As delivered, I couldn't get happy with these. Sure I could have hemmed them, altered the pockets, etc. but at that point, why not just buy different pants?
on May 1, 2016
This is my second pair of Carhartt Men's Blended Twill Work Chinos; my first pair was blue. This review is based largely on my experience with the previous pair, taking into consideration how well the new pair seems to be acting like the first pair.

They're rather stiff right out of the package, but regular wear and half a dozen washings will take care of that. They're a touch long in the leg length, but they shrink a bit during the first 10-20 washings, so I bought them an inch too long in anticipation of that. For whatever reason, they don't seem to shrink noticeably in the waist. Color fade over time is moderate. I've had that pair for about a year, and they've faded from a deep blue (but still lighter than navy blue) to a medium blue, a few shades darker than royal blue.

Durability is fantastic. I'm an Information Technology consultant, not an industrial worker, but I'm frequently on my hands and knees dealing with cables and equipment under desks, and I ride my bicycle frequently to visit clients. I tend to wear out ordinary pairs of chinos in a year, sometimes less. My first two pairs of work pants - these and a Dickies #872 - have become supple and a bit faded (as mentioned above) with age, but show no signs of wearing thin or ripping anywhere.

I prefer these Carhartt blended twill work chinos over the Dickies #872. Based on my experience with the first two pairs, the Carhartt chinos aren't as stiff starting out as the Dickies are, shrink less and fade less over time.
on May 11, 2016
I'm wearing these right now. They're a little stiffer than I expected, but not uncomfortable at all. The fit: let's be clear here about how to fit clothes made by workwear manufacturers. There is no vanity sizing, like you might find at some retailers. These are more or less true to size. That means get a measuring tape or something and actually measure yourself where you wear your trousers. That number is the number you should go with for your waist size on these trousers. Yes, that fashion retailer may make pants that fit you at 38, but if you measure their actual waistband you'll find that those are 40 or even 41 inches in circumference. So measure your waist and buy that size. If you like a little breathing room, measure your waist over your clothes and buy a belt.

Now, as for the appearance of these trousers? Perfectly passable for business casual. The cut is more or less straight (little to no flare or taper). I'm wearing them now with a jacket and tie, and no one has looked askance or asked any questions. They're not going to be as formal as dress pants, but they're also not going to look like you're coming off a job site, either. Also, I won't wear them with my leather-soled oxfords -- but boots? Sure. I don't know how good they'd be for casual wear (like a night on the town), but maybe in colors other than black they would work for that.

They're durable as hell, and washing hasn't faded the color much so far. For the price, these are a pretty solid option.
on June 30, 2014
My fiance is not a "slim fit" some men just aren't. I like guys that have bulk to them and most pants fit him tight in the thigh area so I bought these pants for his bachelor party.

The waist fit perfectly and the length was awesome because it's hard to find 28 in length and a 36W. However, the thighs were so big on him! Like almost to the point where we almost went out and bought him some different pants.

However, to be fair these are work pants and the price is amazing. So that's why I like them. If you are wearing these for work and you need that bagginess in the thigh area go for it, but if you don't want them to be overly big in your thigh area you may want to look for something else.

Dark grey color was nice. I really liked them. Hence the high review, will consider buying a different style from this designer again.
on August 13, 2016
These are decent pants for the price. I was worried about how they would look in an office environment, since they are more work pants than khakis. If you are buying these for the Carhartt name, and work in a professional environment I would look elsewhere.

They are very well built, and the stitching is heavy duty. You can tell that these pants will last. Now, the fabric is incredibly stiff that gets a little bit less stiff after about a dozen or so wash cycles but these will never match the softness of a cotton khaki. Ever. If you are sensitive to things like this, you won't find the fabric that comfortable but the fit of the pants is.

Another problem I found these to be cut extremely long, I've always worn a 32 inseam, but these are closer to a 35" which makes them look ridiculous unless you have them hemmed. If you can do that at home, that's great but if you have to pay for it then it makes these pants lose their attractive price point.