- Product Dimensions: 18 x 12 x 2 inches ; 20 pounds
- Shipping Weight: 20.1 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
- Domestic Shipping: Item can be shipped within U.S.
- International Shipping: This item is not eligible for international shipping. Learn More
- ASIN: B0002DH0QM
- Item model number: 770
- Average Customer Review: 857 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #1,863 in Pet Supplies (See Top 100 in Pet Supplies) Manufacturer’s warranty can be requested from customer service. Click here to make a request to customer service.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ Free Shipping
+ $8.99 shipping
Carib Sea Eco Complete Planted Black Aquarium Substrate
Get free shipping
Free 5-8 business-day shipping within the U.S. when you order $25 of eligible items sold or fulfilled by Amazon.
Or get 4-5 business-day shipping on this item for $5.99. (Prices may vary for AK and HI.)Learn more about free shipping
|You Save:||$1.49 (6%)|
- Complete substrate for freshwater planted aquariums
- Contains major and minor trace elements to nourish aquarium plants
- Substrate encourages healthy plant root growth
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
New formula for enhanced root development. Why does Eco-Complete planted aquarium substrate outperform other products? For the same reason that Hawaii, Bali and Costa Rica are famous for lush, exuberant plant growth. The secret lies in rich basaltic volcanic soil which contains iron, calcium, magnesium, potassium, sulfur plus over 25 other elements to nourish your aquatic plants. Eco-Complete Planted Aquarium Substrate is mineralogically and biologically complete, giving you luxuriant aquatic plant growth without nuisance algae. Iron rich Eco-Complete eliminates the need for laterite. No artificial dyes, paints, or chemical coatings. Eco-Complete has highly porous spherical grains for optimum diffusion performance and contains live Heterotrophic bacteria to rapidly convert fish waste into natural food for your aquatic plants. It establishes a natural biological balance which makes cycling a new aquarium faster and safer.
Size: 20 POUNDS | Color: black
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Compare with similar items
Carib Sea ACS00832 Peace River Gravel for Aquarium, 20-Pound
Activ-Flora Floracor for Aquarium, 16-Pound, Red
Spectrastone Special Black Aquarium Gravel for Freshwater Aquariums, 25-Pound Bag
Ultum Nature Controsoil Freshwater Planted Aquarium Substrate - Fine Black (1 Liter)
Flourite Red, 7 kg / 15.4 lbs
|Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping|
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
As noted by the product, this is not your "normal" gravel. It comes in a bag partially filled with water. It does not need to be rinsed. Just put it right in your tank.
I got this stuff for 3 reasons, which are:
1) I planned to get, which since then I have, some nerite snails, dwarf shrimp, and some friendly bottom swimmers, and I figured smaller grain would better for those types of fish.
2) Most tanks have the "normal" gravel, and quite frankly I wanted something a little different. And I couldn't be happier. I really like the look of this stuff. Some of the smaller, almost sand size, particles have a nice gloss so there's almost a little bit of a glitter to it. Not crazy or anything, but just enough to give it kind of a cool look.
3) I wanted to experiment with live plants. I was sick of the artificial plastic plant décor, and when I was searching for a good substrate I stumbled upon this stuff. And the live plants I've purchased so far seem to be doing pretty good. And they stayed put with relatively little effort.
All said and done I'm very happy with the purchase, and I'm so glad I took a shot. I will never buy "normal" gravel again.
Just doing a dirted tank is supposed to be even better. But, this being my first run at freshwater, and planted, tanks, I thought I would save that for a future effort.
One thing I can confirm, is that this stuff significantly shortened the initial cycle time, when setting up my tank. I had never even heard of a tank cycling so fast! My tank was fully cycled, within a week. I did do a "fish in" cycle, with a few zebra danios, but I guess you could do a fishless cycle, if you prefer. If you do opt for the fish in method, just make sure you are testing your water parameters every day, and doing daily water changes. About 20% is fine, unless your levels are excessively high.
1) Dark almost black appearance. If you want that look this is the substrate for you. It wont fade like the painted gravel.
2) CEC- basically it absorbs nutrients and your plants take the nutrients from the rocks (in a nutshell)
3) no cleaning of the rocks- open the bag, pour it in your tank, no rinsing, no mess....plug and play
4) fish safe- I am a cory cat fish nut, and I hear people say it will cut their barbels... that is an urban legend. this is my 3rd tank I am using this on, all of my cories have long nice healthy barbels.
5) Easy to plant, grab my tongs/tweezers and push plant into place.
6) Cheap- cheaper than Aqua soil or fluval or whatever. 20 pounds of clown puke (colored gravel) is the same price.
7) I can push my plant tabs in the substrate with ease. I do the home made osmocote plus (which I bought from amazon)
8)Stable- it won't break down like aquasoil will, wont raise ph, ammonia etc....
With the money I save I can buy some plants or some fish.