Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Caring for Your School Age Child: Ages 5-12 (Child Care S)
Your Garage Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

Format: Paperback|Change

on August 20, 2001
When my kids were younger, I relied on the first book in the American Academy of Pediatrics's series, Caring for Your Baby and Young Child, when my children were ill and when I had questions about whether they were growing and developing "normally." I thought this book would be similar, but cover older kids. It doesn't! As the Amazon review above mentions, discussions of childhood illnesses and injuries are kept to a minimum. Almost any time one of my kids has a symptom or illness and I'm wondering if it is serious enough to require a visit to the doctor, the book has little or nothing to say on the subject. Instead, there are lengthy discussions of things like ADHD and learning disabilities that you might never encounter in your kids, as well as info. on taking care of your kids' emotional health. Useful information, but not what I wanted when I bought a book from the APA!
on January 12, 2004
I have found this book to be up-to-date and very helpful. This is not a traditional medical guide -- don't look here for the symptoms of meningitis -- rather, it is a guide to the key developmental and behavioral issues of this age group. The book does NOT endorse an authoritarian approach-- to the contrary, it encourages parents to learn to communicate effectively with their kids, to develop a trusting, supportive relationship. Neither does it reinforce traditional gender roles. It shows the wide range of what is normal, including helpful descriptions of various temperaments, and what kind of behavior parents should consider warning signs that more help is needed. I've found this to be an insightful, compassionate guide to my son's inner (and outer) world, and it has helped my husband and me to be better parents.
on October 13, 2009
Most "child development" books rest on the traditional medical reference questions: What do I do if my child has a sore throat, stomach pain, and fever of 102? What do I do if she falls on her head at the playground? This book focuses LESS on that (which you can pretty much find in the first AAP book "Birth to age 5"), and more on how to navigate your child's growing social needs. Defiance, homework, sibling rivalry, grief and loss, divorce ... these are issues that are rarely covered for the mid-childhood school years. I initially bought this book thinking it was the traditional "medical reference book" and was actually pleasantly surprised at how helpful it was in covering parenting issues for these formative years.
on February 17, 2005
This book picks up just where the 0-5 book leaves off. I wanted this book for topics about talking to my kids about sex, emotional and behavioral issues and this book meets those needs plus many many more. It still touches on the most common illnesses and injuries (though someone below says it doesn't). Great book. If you liked the 0-5 one you will like this one as well!
on November 11, 2014
This reference manual from the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) is an excellent, comprehensive, and empirical-based resource for parents and guardians as well as for educators and care professionals, alike. I work with children, preteens, and teens, along with their families and fellow care professionals daily and recommend this manual to all, who are raising, or working with youth. Additionally, the Caring for Your Baby and Young Child, and Caring for Your Teen reference manuals by the AAP round out the series of covering pre-birth to young adulthood.
on August 22, 2013
This has been my baby bible. This has saved my sanity countless times. Puts paid to dreadfull advice from the general knowledgable population. You have to buy this book if you want to care well for your child.
on December 20, 2012
You want a book that will answer all those little question you want to know with out running your children to the doctors office all the time, then this is the book for you. I love it and refer to it often.
on January 10, 2007
I was disappointed because the earlier book (Birth to Age 5) had a wealth of Medical Information. This book deals mainly with emotional, developmental and social issues. If you are looking for medical information and guidance when your child is sick, this is not the book.
on March 25, 2007
We use both this book and the one for younger ages (Caring for your baby and young child). I consider both books the gold standard for child care. The emergency sections are particularly good. I have never seen so many childhood illnesses and diseases in one place. In a word, excellent.
on January 3, 2011
I like this book because of the variety of information. Our children are growing everyday, and sometimes we don't see the changes in them,or how they are developing and matureting. sometimes we don't see the challenges they face as they grow. This book helps me undertand and discipline and love my children in every step of their growth. I like the overall explanation on social, mental, emotional and physical health.This book does not a have deep understanding on the subjects, for that I recommend a specialized book on the subject you need.