Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

• Customer reviews

Showing 1-10 of 1,214 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,292 reviews
on July 10, 2015
Like many, my tires arrived compressed. I have seen several complaints with regard to this. Having worked as a mechanic I am here to tell you that while automotive tires are not compressed this way for shipping, most large lawn tractor tires are. This is not the shipping people, this is the manufacturer who does this. The trick is to remove the shipping straps/materials and place the tires in a warm place to "decompress." They will eventually "pop" into their original shape as manufactured. If you try to mount them too soon, and you put them at the proscribed pressure, you'll end up with your tire rolling off the rim repeatedly. In fact I've seen cases where people did this and the tires ended up with a permanent saddle shape. If you don't have a nice warm sunny climate or a good heated spot (like right below a heat duct) in a shop, you can use a heat gun on low to warm them. I have done this in winter time when replacing tires on winter equipped snow rig tractors. Just warm them gradually. In one case I ended up heating and reheating the tires on and off over the course of a couple of days until they finally took shape.

The tires themselves perform well. They arrived in excellent shape. Other than a little "flash" rubber at the bead of one (which was easily trimmed to make a better seal) I have no complaints with the quality.

EDIT: I did forget to mention one problem with the tires. Actually only with one tire. In spite of them being, as you can see from my included photographs, Carlisle Turf-Savers, Made in U.S.A. and 4 ply, one tire had a nasty defect.

The side wall height is imperfect, in fact off by about a centimeter. This caused the tire to be very difficult to mount to some degree, and causes it to lose air due to imperfect bead seating on the rim. I solved the problem by installing an inner-tube.

The problem with "Made in U.S.A." these days is that US standards are nowhere near like they used to be. Once upon a time American laborers did a great job because they took pride in their work. Now most of our labor force is made up of entitled folks who'd rather take a day off whenever possible.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
0Comment| 112 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 9, 2014
You need a couple of tools to install this tire. Since it is so small it's a little different than a car tire. I am an amputee ( Leg above the knee) and I am in a wheelchair so if I can do it anyone can if you apply your mechanical knowledge. You will need a couple long handled regular screwdriver ( About 12" long, blade type) . Put new tires in really hot water to soften to make installation easy. Now remove tires/wheels from tractor. Remove inside of Valve stem ( Where you put the air in) and let all the air out.If stem isn't good, reuse it, if not replace it. I stick one screw driver in under the lip of the rim and grab the edge of the tire and pop it up then insert other screwdriver and work it to the other side. Use a little bit of soapy water, it helps. keep working the tire off on one side then keep it on the same side and do the same thing with the other edge of the tire repeating the same thing on the other tire. Now you take one of the new tires out of the hot water and put a little soapy water around it's bead ( inner edge of tire where it meets the rim). Use screwdrivers to get some of the bead on the rim. Then take a pair of Vise grips and attach one to the edge of the rim where you have stopped with your screwdrivers to hold the tire in place. Now work your screwdrivers in and start working the bead of the rest of the tire on and use a little bit more soapy water if needed. Once that bead is installed, keep wheel and tire as is and work on the other bead installing the same as previous bead. Install new inner valve at the valve stem and using a small ratcheting strap, tighten around circumference of tire. Now put air to tire valve stem and be sure that tire bead seats on both sides all the way around. Do not overfill with the ratcheting strap still on tire. Remove strap and fill tire to appropriate PSI. Mount and do next tire. Not a bad job just takes some time and saves you some BUCK$!!!!
33 comments| 169 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 25, 2015
I was having a problem with my cub cadet 42" ztr spinning tires too easily when mowing. I believe its called "turfing". I bought these tires and got the wider wheels from cub cadet. The original tires were 18x8.5x8----These are 18x9.5x8, and are actually almost 2 inches wider than the 8.5"s. BIG difference, not near as much spin as the tread is flat across the entire width-not rounded in the middle. There are cheaper brands out there, but they all had mixed reviews. I don't have time for mistakes because I went cheap. Carlisle makes a good tire-I'll stick with that.....
on August 11, 2013
If I need to revisit this review later, I'll do so, but for now great.

Ultimately, ratings for tires are a longer term topic, but I have been very happy so far with this purchase. Tires were delivered on-time, installed by a local (auto) repair shop ($20), and I've been using them for the last couple of months on a trailer for my 4-wheeler.

***

I don't need to revisit this; I want to. Still awesome a year later.

***

And two years later as well (10/25-2014)
on April 11, 2016
Very happy with the quality of these tires. I replaced some 2 ply tires on my Craftsman mower and these were a perfect fit, I also had no problem setting the bead with my small 5 gallon Compressor.

Small tires are a bear to get on, I recommend getting a small tire changing station from somewhere like Harbor Freight. It's the best $40 you will ever spend if your doing them yourself, you still got to use some brute force but it's much easier and faster.
on December 29, 2016
The tires showed up not as described in the add. Tread pattern not the same as advertised. Tread was aggressive like a four wheeler tire. I bought these as a present for my father for Christmas. He didn't want to return in fear of hurting my feelings. Had them mounted an tried them out. More like turf killer tires, not turf savers. If he didn't have them mounted up I would have sent them back.
on September 24, 2014
Great price and product. The issue is with the way that Amazon banded and compressed 2 of the them for shipping. The tires are so out of shape that they look like compressed triangles even after unbanding them. Old school methods of using a ratchet strap or rope around the diameter of the tire to get it to take bead won't work because of the distorted shape. Probably worth spending $10 more per tire and buy them local so that they are round when mounting.
on July 17, 2017
Good Product, glad I went to the Carlisle. Were not too hard to get on. Hardest part was popping the beads on the old tires.
Used a small crowbar and a few screw drivers. 2 tires took my about 20 minutes from start to finish. I let tires sit in the Carolina sun for a few hours and soaped the bead/inner lip of the rims. I will make sure I put tire dressing on these so they sidewalls don't dry out and lead like my old ones.
on February 25, 2017
These are great tires. Used as a replacement on my cub cadet rzt. They are the same tires that came with the mower cub cadet wanted 110.00 a tire when I got 2 of these for 100.00. Also these are 4 ply quality tires! They didn't come in a box but no big deal they were a good fit for the rim I did take them down to the tire shop to be put on for 20.00
on September 14, 2017
Well, the 1 tube that I replaced on my Craftsman lawn tractor finally got tired of being pinched by the cracked sidewall of the tire that it was inserted into and when I wasn't looking, let the air escape. I decided that it was time to bite the bullet and replace the tire. It was a genuine PITA to do, but I won the battle and now my tractor has 1 new shoe! The tire was excellant!