Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning Landline Landline Landline  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno



There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.

Showing 1-10 of 30 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 54 reviews
on February 9, 2014
On any given Galactic album, I seem to LOVE 75% of the songs and routinely skip the other 25%. Which still makes any Galactic album well worth the price, because the songs I love stay in my playlist for years. The songs that I love are a riotous, joyful celebration of the music and spirit of New Orleans. "Ash Wednesday Sunrise" is a wonderful exploration of post-carnival soulfulness. "Karate" layers a marching band into the already full and deep complexity of Galactic's sound. "Move Fast" is a fast-spitting rap by Mystikal with a deep Galactic groove. Galactic is one of those rare groups for which I become a missionary, always playing it for friends and trying to bring in new converts.
0Comment| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 7, 2013
This album is basically a musical tour of New Orleans; a survey of prominent musical styles from the city, with electronic beats woven in throughout. It opens with Mardi Gras Indans and closes with a Galactic-only instrumental, in between is a series of guests, each bringing something wildly different to the table. There's a zydeco element, a funky Neville brothers bit, and some Brazilian dance beats. Mystikal is back to back with a genuine New Orleans high school marching band (where else would that happen?). Given hotel rates around Mardi Gras time, it's a lot cheaper to buy this album than see this stuff in person. Of course, the album doesn't compare. But it's a really entertaining listen nonetheless.
0Comment| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 19, 2016
Great album, The vinyl sounds fantastic.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 21, 2012
Formed 18 years ago, Galactic is New Orleans' number one party band and an unabashed fan of the city's music and culture. Some older fans aren't happy with the band straying a bit from their funk sound and ditching a vocalist in favor of collaborators representing the best the city has to offer. "From The Corner To The Block" to "Carnivale Electricos" proves that the band is not willing to rest on their laurels and continues to mine new territory and grow and change. Some people don't like change. I become a bigger fan with each and every album. "Carnivale Electricos" is the band's first album dedicated to the carnival phenomenon that grips the streets of Rio De Janeiro and New Orleans. Guests on the record include the original vocalist for "Carnivale Time", Al "Carnival Time" Johnson, Mardi Gras Indian War Chief Juan Pardo, Mystikal, Mannie Fresh, Cyril and Ivan Neville and David Shaw of The Revivalists, just to name a few. The album smokes, the musicians are killer, grab yourself one and crank it up!
0Comment| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 16, 2017
Have to listen again. Not as good as other galactic s recording.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 24, 2015
Enjoyed Ya Ka May more. Still a very good album. Highlights for me are Out in the Street (w/ Cyril Neville) and Hey Na Na (w/ David Shaw). I am a big fan of the way they ended the album with Ash Wednesday Sunrise.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 24, 2014
Don't know Galactic but like Mardi Gras music? This isn't traditional Carnival music (well, one song, maybe) but this is very hip music, very New Orleans. Dig the samba beat in Magalenha. Impress your friends with modern Mardi Gras music. Hurry up, Carnival is underway.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 3, 2016
A all time Mardi Gras standard. Gotta experience or relive the day here.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 26, 2015
These guys have really earned their chops, and this CD is a treat. Full of rip-roaring NOLA/Brazilian combinations. Definite buy!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 22, 2014
I bought this because Stanton Moore is one of my favorite drummers. This album is a fantastic set of recordings. Highly recommended.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse