BCA Month Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TNF TNF TNF  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on November 28, 2016
This is an old compilation about a bon vivant and his manservant. The stories were made into a sitcom decades ago. The heir hasn't much sense and the manservant not only saves him from himself but also advises some of his friends with similar life-styles. The stories are light-hearted and short, each making a nice quick read. They are a good escape at night to take your mind off of work/life dramas and clear your mind for sleep. Many are funny enough that you'll want to share them with family and friends, and clean enough that you can share them without worrying about the audience.
on April 13, 2016
This was a wonder read. Wodehouse had such masterful way of using the English language. I was engaged & entertained by the characters the entire time. When a book makes me laugh audibly, then it's a good book! I've read about 4 of his books, Jeeves & Wooster are my favorite.
on August 20, 2017
"...like taking a spade to a souffle.", if memory serves. Being asked to do this after reading about Donald Trump, at least Bertie had adult supervision: You're not proposing to wear that in England, sir? You'll like it or you won't, but you'll be better-off if you do. I still remember the gal to introduced me to him.
on February 9, 2017
I'm being held hostage by this rating system. I can't browse more books until I write a review. However 10/10 would recommend to a friend.
on June 26, 2017
PGW classics - what else but to say Love it!
on October 16, 2012
My husband bought this book for me just because he thought it looked like something I would enjoy. Well, let's just say that P.G. Wodehouse is now on my top 5 favorite authors list! Wodehouse's writing is extremely entertaining - very "intellectual" but not so much that I struggle to figure out what he's saying. Witty is probably a better word. Very, very British in a wonderful way. His word pictures are so delightful that I find myself laughing out loud often and giggling most of the time. The Jeeves series is outrageously funny, and the BBC TV series starring Hugh Laurie (House) is a wonderful follow-up to the books. After reading this one, my hubby ordered me another "Jeeves" book, and then I stumbled upon a compilation of 5 of Wodehouse's stories (2 Jeeves, 3 others) in one book at a thrift shop. Still enjoying that one.
on August 19, 2016
I've watched every episode of Jeeves & Wooster with Fry and Laurie, and the shows were first-rate. I became curious about the books from which the shows were adapted, and chose this one for the scene where a drunken Fink-Nottle gives out awards at a local school. Wodehouse was a first-rate writer and captured the slang and attitude of England's vanishing "idle rich" population of the 1930s perfectly. Great read, glad I bought the book. Time to buy another.
on February 15, 2017
It's excellent mindless amusement. 16 more words are required, yet I've already said everything I want to say about it.
VINE VOICEon July 16, 2017
good steady writing with so much character and so much insight into the British 19th century thinking
on June 16, 2012
I really enjoy this collection of audiobooks. Jarvis has a masterful comedic timing, he really nails the tempo and musicality of the author's prose.
Question to fellow readers: is it me or Wodehouse writes blistering put-downs of the English upper crust disguised as airy send-ups?
His impeccable command of the English language, playful narrative arcs and colorful characters seem to build a horrible portrayal of the English class system.
Wodehouse's aristocrats, though harmless for the most part, appear as a bunch of in-bred, lazy, greedy, incurious, provincial, xenophobic, backstabbing, repressed, cowardly, frivolous, inept, bumbling snobs that would do anything to latch on to their life of privilege and wouldn't survive a week without their small armies of selfless working-class servants.
All they care about is "marrying well" and getting intoxicated.
Three words: the Drones Club.
Not saying that he is some kind of Orwell in disguise, but nobody seems to point this out in the literary world.
The man, Wodehouse that is, is always depicted as a sort of gifted lightweight that just happened to have superb talent to turn a phrase.
To judge by his life (as far as I know he lived most of his adult life in France & America, returning to England only sporadically) his homecountry was not necessarily his favorite place in the world.