Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year Womens Ski Trip Essentials nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Dot Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now

on February 20, 2017
After seeing Glennon on Oprah I immediately bought this book for myself and my daughter, who is a young mother. I understood she was a blogger but didn't quite realize this was a collection of her blog posts (or at least it seems like it is), which are probably available on her site. I did enjoy her writing style and sense of humor, especially during the difficult times in life. I also appreciated her religious perspectives which were presented in ways that those who might not agree wouldn't feel judged or wrong (even though I agreed, that's important to me). I have been going through multiple traumatic experiences the past 10 years (husband's addiction and resulting separation and near-divorce) and was so inspired by her interview with Oprah, I was hoping to get some inspiration as I went through the latest roller coaster, breast cancer treatment. Aside from Glennon's addiction, which she dealt with before becoming a mom, and a marital issue that fortunately didn't break them (I wish she'd said how, or maybe that's her next book) it seemed her issues were those of a suburban mom (or First-World Problems as my kids used to call them). I am a suburban mom, but not really into some of the more materialistic things she is, so I didn't really relate to her. What I did envy were her ability to make friends and have such close intimate relationships that are real. When you are diagnosed with cancer, even pre-cancer caught early like me, people react weirdly. You quickly find out who are your real friends and who is willing to have "real" relationships. Unfortunately, I found nearly every blood relative wasn't going to "be there" for me and only had about enough non-blood relatives and friends to count on one hand, which was enough. As a result of their weird reactions, I didn't announce it to anyone beyond my inner circles. I was so disturbed by the realization that most people don't have (or maybe don't know how to have) "real" relationships like Glennon describes. I really hoped to learn how to transform my family relationships by making them more real, because the lack of support was devastating. So maybe I had unrealistic goals because I bought this book after her Oprah interview. She may be at a completely different place now than when she wrote this and I want to learn more from her now as the issues in this book are important ones more suburban moms can relate to, but they really aren't BIG life issues when you really need good close friends and deep relationships that are "real."
0Comment| 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 10, 2018
I bought this for two people on my Christmas list this year because I found Glennon's compassion to be inspiring and contagious. You will not regret the time spent reading this book, and like me, you will probably think of several people you know who could benefit from her humor and optimism.
on August 30, 2014
This brutiful book is a gift. It's the next best thing to being Glennon's next door neighbor. I can't tell you how many times I've cried while reading, or read a chapter exactly when I needed it. I'm sure I will read this again, and buy copies for friends and family. The only solace to reading the end is being a monkee over at Momastery.com. I am changed for the better and hope that I may do small good deeds with a big heart.
on October 5, 2016
I couldn't put it down. Even though Glennon's experiences are so different from my own, she felt very relatable. I bought copies for several of my friends. I would recommend this for anyone- but especially for someone overcoming addiction and or depression.
on April 11, 2014
I bought book simply based on reviews from Amazon readers. I have not been a steady reader over the years and thus had no real area of interest; exception is preference for actual experiences rather than fiction. My wife reads James Patterson.
I found this book to be very engaging and probably not for everyone. She writes of her own personal battles with addiction but writes with a spontaneity and a "realness" I found quite enjoyable. She has a way of taking many common expressions we all hear and use and word in such a unique way that actually grabs your attention and creates the desire to read more. No one has all the answers but there are ways you can search and just maybe find a level of self peace and family joy.
on June 5, 2016
This book is amazing! Melton is a fantastic writer and I can not rave about this book enough. Without posting a super long review (I am a book blogger), this is a book I would recommend every women read, regardless of whether or not you have children. I do not have any children yet and I had no problem relating to this book. Melton is a Christian, so if you are not a believer, this book might not be your thing. But she is not pushy about her views at all and I recently gave this book as a gift to someone who is agnostic and she says she is in love with it. This book made me laugh a lot, smile and cry at times, but it has a fantastic message. READ THIS BOOK!
on October 24, 2014
The leading phrases on the cover of this book are apt, talking about a "messy, beautiful life." Melton is not as structured and polished as David Sedarius, or as well edited and organized as Anne Lamott, but her work is just as powerful. This is a wonderful collection of essays. Other reviewers promise that she is "laugh out loud funny" and she is --- but she will also rip your heart open so she can touch it, and probably heal it a little -- or a lot. The section of the book the title came from MIGHT be the most memorable and moving, but there are compelling compeitiors.
Like some of the famous stand up comics, she rips away the comfortable web of "white" lies and social niceties we live with, and presents us with our naked, "unarmed" selves. I think she is a kindred spirit of some sort to Barbara Brown Taylor (An Altar In The World), and Elisabeth Kubler-Ross, as she shows herself in the final collection of her talks, The Tunnel and The Light.
on October 3, 2013
I can't remember how I found the Monkees, but I know the first post of Glennon's that I read was Carpe Kairos. I have since shared it with others who have also been truly blessed by it. It is parenting at its most real, and it's refreshing, and just plain awesome. We need more of that. The rest of the book is more of the same-parenting, relationships, life...much of it entirely relatable and all of it "brutifully" honest. I recently read this quote by Timothy Leary: "Admit it. You aren't like them. You're not even close. You may occasionally dress yourself up as one of them, watch the same mindless television shows as they do, maybe even eat the same fast food sometimes. But it seems that the more you try to fit in, the more you feel like an outsider, watching the "normal people" as they go about their automatic existences. For every time you say club passwords like "Have a nice day" and "Weather's awful today, eh?", you yearn inside to say forbidden things like "Tell me something that makes you cry" or "What do you think deja vu is for?". Face it, you even want to talk to that girl in the elevator. But what if that girl in the elevator (and the balding man who walks past your cubicle at work) are thinking the same thing? Who knows what you might learn from taking a chance on conversation with a stranger? Everyone carries a piece of the puzzle. Nobody comes into your life by mere coincidence. Trust your instincts. Do the unexpected. Find the others..."
I think he and G would have had have a lot to talk about.
One thing, though. We need to talk to G about shrink wrapping a pack of tissues with each book. You'll need them. Now if we can figure out those e-tissues...
on April 23, 2015
I loved this. So many entries resonated for me. My boys are teenagers but the messages ring so true. I don't consider myself a terribly spiritual person but even that aspect of Glennon's writings really hit me. To know we are part of a larger community in spirit. That we are all doing the right thing for our families each day, as defined by ourselves and our situations, and not by each other or anyone outside the circle, is so right on. After reading this book, I feel I sit at dinner with my family each night a little more confident, a little more open, a little more comfortable with how much I love each person sharing the meal with me. We are a little, messy community of souls sharing a roof and some stuff. I appreciate it all just a little more today than before I read this book. Thank you Glennon!
on May 4, 2017
I enjoyed the first had a bit more start, middle, and ending. This one although enlightening about her strength, struggles and love between her and Craig wasn't as fluid.