BCA Month Beauty Magazine Deals Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 8, 2015
I am going to break one of my own rules and list some pros and cons for this item. I don't typically like to do this because it tends to give false impressions when one "list" is smaller or bigger than the other. However, in this case I think it will best convey my impression of this magnifier.

In general, I found this magnifier to be exactly what I ordered. Nothing more, nothing less. It is certainly serviceable and performs the task as it was designed. I bought two of them and will continue to use them until I find something better.

Pros:
Small convenient size...easy to carry.
Folds and protects the lens from damage.
Decent construction...hard plastic case.
3X magnification...just about right for most applications.
Decent quality lens...appears fairly sharp edge to edge.
Can be used without TOO much difficulty for discerning small details.

Cons:
2 1/4 inch overall size yields about a 1 1/2 inch circular spot magnifier.
Can be annoying to open...requires some dexterity.
Really too small for effective use for reading anything other than a single word or two.
Not lighted, so its use in subdued conditions is suspect.

So that's about it. This magnifier is probably best used for examining small items or trying to discern small detail. It would probably work well for a coin or stamp collector as long as there is sufficient light available. For reading anything more than an occasional word or two, I would much prefer to have something a bit larger.

Like most things, it's definitely a compromise. You will need to decide what you are willing to give up.
on February 25, 2015
The more trouble I have seeing the more I need a magnifying glass for all those little things; tv guide, grocery store labels, things on the computer only 'TINKERBELL' could read and so this little darling is just terrific.

The magnification is just enough to help out without being overpowering and just enough to come in handy.

I have been on a magnifying buying trip lately and this is one of my favorites. It is so teeny yet does all you need it to do; fits into a pocket or purse or even your bra :-)! I put some Velcro on the case and attach right to the back of my Fire-who can read those teeny times? and when the battery is at what level?

Yep, the price is right and this is a great partner to have around; most especially if your getting 'on up there' and need a little help now and again!

I think I'll buy another; i DID AND IT CAME QUICKLY....HAPPY ME!
on October 15, 2015
I have used a very similar magnifier for years and used to worry about losing it and not being able to replace it, so I was happy to find this on Amazon. It's great for reading the ingredient lists on groceries, important to me because of a life-threatening food allergy. I also use it around the house for everything from the ever shrinking telephone book print to the info on the backs pf my DVD cases. Opening it in a hurry can be a nuisance, but it isn't difficult if you take your time and look at it, and it's worth it to me for the overall convenience and portability. It wasn't designed for reading a book, but for those teeny tiny print tasks, it's definitely my "go-to" magnifier. I can't speak to its fire starting capabilities--in the many years I had my old one I never once tried to start a fire with it, and probably won't with this one, either. The magnification on this one is just dandy for my purposes, and I'm very satisfied with my purchase.
on August 6, 2012
I purchased two of these, one for my husband and one for me. He uses his more and he has been very pleased. He just told me he used it today to read some fine print in a magazine. The magnifier is small but it does a good job and is very easy to carry around. Before purchasing this, I had tried a cheap flat plastic magnifier and it did not work well at all. My husband wouldn't even use it as it distorted things so much. This one seems very clear and has an adequate amount of magnification. For the price, we are very pleased and glad we found it. Would recommend!
on October 6, 2015
I purchased this in hopes that it would work for a bushcraft/survival tool. Sadly it was not high enough magnification to start a fire. It is very light and compact, so it may work for something else.
on September 9, 2017
I carried one of these in my pocket for years. It eventually broke. To replace it, I bought a similar pocket magnifier with higher magnification. Big mistake! The higher magnification distorts the image much more, and makes most things harder to see, not easier. So, I ordered these. I'm happy again!
on April 22, 2014
I had one I loved that got lost at a theatre -- smart product -- it hid so well, 3 of us couldn't find it even though I heard it fall! I thought I'd never find another as that one was a gift. Thank you, Amazon!

The size and weight of this plastic magnifier is excellent. It closes in its own self-case, so there's no case to lose. It's just the right strength to see what just isn't big enough. I don't know the strength, but it's perfect for me. I couldn't be happier!!!
on July 7, 2015
I visit local antique shops regularly and need a good magnifying glass. I'm keeping this in the glove box of my car so it will always be handy.

Here's what I like about it:

It doesn't have a light. A light adds cost, size and weight and a cheap switch to possibly break. A car's glove box is a tough environment for a battery.
It has a tough, rigid self storing case. It has to be slim and durable in it's case so that I can slip it into my pocket.
The magnification is not too powerful. This one works best when held about 4 inches from what you're viewing.

The entire thing is plastic, but it appears to be a tough durable plastic. I'll update the review if it breaks.
on May 18, 2016
I like this compact lens, even though it's made of plastic. Foldable design will protect it from scratching. Now I don't have to carry with me $200 reading glasses to the store just to read ingredients, printed for the insects :(
Size 0.5 x 2 x 2 inches
Lasting construction.
The only thing I would like to add = 3X is not optimal = 4X would be a bit better (my personal preference)...apart from that it's ***** for the price and the item ;)
on January 7, 2014
This little magnifying glass is good enough for what I got it for, which is to look at ingredients labels while shopping. However, getting the magnifying glass out of the black case is very fiddly. There's no marker on the case which tells you which corner has the hook that you have to pull on, and I find myself fiddling with it for 30-60 seconds every time I want to use it. Very annoying.