Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Noah Gundersen PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 19 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 31 reviews
on June 14, 2016
The most beautiful book on map history that I've seen. The text is learned yet very accessible, and the images well chosen and printed. Virga's attention to the politics of maps repeatedly hits the right note. The production is everything you might expect from the Library of Congress. I own one and have given others as gifts. (Heresy disclosure: I've even cut up a much-worn used copy to make framed maps and handmade stationery.)
on March 29, 2014
Its a nice conversation starter but not really what I was expecting. I was hoping for more maps but its more of a history book. Which is cool. I like that too. But I was expected more of an atlas of old maps with a short write up of the map. Still 4 stars.
on July 23, 2017
My gift was very warmly received. Kudos to author and the Library of Congress
on October 6, 2015
Beautiful large coffee table book with excellent images
on September 25, 2012
I love maps and I collect globes, so when I saw this book on sale I decided to take a chance and purchase. I was not disappointed, I've looked through this book more times than I can count. I highly recommend it.
on October 3, 2013
It's a must for whoever loves cartography maps and history.
Apart of being a great book it's also a great asset in your library....
on May 25, 2008
I saw the author on C-Span2 and ordered the book immediately. I was not disappointed. This is a gorgeous and informative book about the history of maps and how they reflect our understanding of the world in which we live. Anyone who has ever enjoyed the beauty of maps or has wondered how maps were made before aerial photography will love this book.
on November 8, 2015
thanks
on August 12, 2015
Arrived on time, as described.
on June 23, 2008
This book gives a unique glimpse at not only the history of cartography, but also the various purposes maps can serve. For maps lovers, like myself, the material is a window into other worlds of ancient knowledge thru beautiful illustrations and clear text.