Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Kids Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

The Cartoon Guide to Statistics
Format: Paperback|Change

on October 2, 2016
You need a primer on extrapolation from observations to populations? You could hardly do better than this guide. Larry Gonick's cartoons are superb and the crazy plot is just fun.
on August 14, 2017
It's not what I thought it was going to be. I needed something with more extensive content and concepts.
on August 13, 2015
It is great in terms of entertainment, beats any textbook. Not sure if I would use it as a textbook for my students (I had hoped I could), but I certainly would recommend it to any stats student just to get the basics in a fun way.
on September 4, 2015
I hope the students will actually read it. I love it. After the semester is over, I hope I can update this review.
on February 27, 2015
I love stats. I get excited when I get to run stats for things. I bought this for a graduate class, and everyone loves it. It is not a book that simplifies stats, but rather a book that teaches more advanced statistics in a way that is intuitive and fun.
on April 21, 2016
It is actually high level info.
on January 8, 2017
Excellent book and it makes statistics easier to understand. I highly recommend this book.
on September 26, 2016
While not perfect (what book is?), this is a worthwhile treatment of statistics. Topics are covered in a accessible and adequate depth, with appropriately entertaining cartoons intermixed between the pages. At some points, it can be difficult to comprehend what the author is trying to relay, but that's coming from this reviewer (who does not possess even a basic calculus background) --if you don't fully comprehend a passage, re-read it until you do (or quickly research the theoretical aspects of the particular subject from other sources and come back to it then). For example, I could not decipher why averages taken from many samples from the same population would always, in theory, eventually form something bell-shaped (regardless of the actual population distribution) --after reading a bit from other sources, and giving it some thought, I determined that the best explanation relates to the fact that the data, as a whole, is not how the sampling distribution is developed; rather, since the sample averages/means make up the sample distribution, and those averages will tend to cluster more and more around the population mean as the sample averages begin to reflect the central tendency of the population, it will, by default, start to resemble the Gaussian/normal distribution. Consider that the mean only represents the central tendency of a data set (and not the totality of the data). That's an obvious deduction, but this was not explained in the book (the book does explain some theory, but some key points have to be thought about --the "why" for the "what").

If you are new to statistics, have taken courses in it and need a refresher, or are interested in understanding (key word there) the essential components of the subject, I highly recommend this book. Wheelan's "Naked Statistics" is also a good read, but I don't think that any one title will make you a "stats expert". I recommend that you read EVERYTHING that you can get your hands on, start working through the free online Khan Academy stats material, and practice. Practice, practice, practice.
on September 1, 2013
This book is an excellent mix of a Handbook - for looking formulas for something up, and a Text - for understanding how that something came about. It's written in an enjoyable light-hearted manner, but the treatment of the material is very serious. I bought this copy because I had lost my first copy and found that it is indispensable.
on October 2, 2016
Not a good book if you are new to statistics. My opinion. The cartoons are cute though.