Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 34 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 52 reviews
on August 30, 2014
History is... complicated. A bunch of cheeky monkeys running around the world trying to shove their opinions down each other's throats. Larry sees the ironies in the human condition and doesn't let them get away with it. Part Will and Ariel Durant, part Gilbert Shelton (Furry Freak Brothers comics), he digests the impossibly complex and spits it into your lap in a far more digestible form than this twisted metaphor has any right to invoke in you. Got that? I sincerely believe that anybody who reads this series and does not accumulate a better perspective on humanity is sick. And if this review caused a chuckle, wait till you read his stuff.
on July 29, 2017
Fun book
on July 1, 2012
If I could, I would give this 15 stars: 5 stars as a history book, 5 stars as an art book, and 5 stars as a comic/humor book.

I only wish that the page format was as large as the original books in this series, and I wish they had more resolution when digitizing the drawings.

But that is all okay! There is the same amount of enjoyable material between the covers, and you wouldn't even notice the digital effect unless you squint to look for it (and now you will. Heehee, sorry).

Same goes for Modern World Part II. His scathing treatment of George W. Bush at the end is priceless!

Get these books now!
on March 8, 2007
Larry Gonick is a genius. He's taken subjects normally avoided by most laypersons (history, genetics, computers, etc.) and made them entirely entertaining. And the best part is he doesn't skimp on the research... just check out the bibliography. You can quote him as easily as you can any boring old textbook.

"The Cartoon History of the Modern World, Part I" continues where "The Cartoon History of the Universe, Part III" left off. We get a fresh look at the 'discovery' of the new world and all the political ramifications it had in Europe and the rest of the old world. While these books don't go into great detail about specific events, there is enough there to whet one's appetite to seek out more information and pique one's curiousity about how things came to be the way they are today. I can't remcommend any of Mr. Gonick's books enough.
on June 27, 2007
As always, Mr. Gonick does an excellent job of presenting history in an informative and interesting way. I enjoyed the book immensely, with the disclaimer that it is not a substitute for studying a subject in more detail. The author covers a very large period of history in one book and thus can't give some subjects the scrutiny that they deserve. Also on occasion I have found some details that are not quite correct (which is true of even more scholarly works I've read). Being a avid student of history, his books help fill in some of the gaps in areas in which I have almost no knowledge and on more than one occasion have spark an interest in me to investigate further. Overall, I have bought all Mr. Gonick's books on history and will continue to do so. I recommend them to any reader who wants to get their history in a very readable format.
on March 16, 2007
I remember a description of memory tests that showed how people remember subject material better if it's presented with humor or with a cartoon. That summarizes how I feel about the Cartoon History series by Larry Gonick.

I've always loved reading ancient history, archeology, and paleontology. However, I've hardly ever liked or remembered much Dark Ages history. It never caught my attention. Larry Gonick, however, succeeds in making the Dark Ages humorous and memorable, right down to the politics between Catholic popes and European kings.

Even better, he begins the book with a great summary of the Inca and Maya civilizations, which contained quite a lot I didn't know. This is wonderfully entertaining and instructive.
on June 1, 2015
Gonick is excellent as always. I had the first two books of the cartoon history of the universe growing up. That may be where my love of history came from. Like all of them, this one is well researched. A very good survey of world history. Entertaining and sometimes irreverent too.
on December 20, 2012
I was looking for a resource for my kids that would draw them into history. This cartoon approach is packed with details (and some opinions...but I tell the kids if they think that might have happened a little differently then go research it, never trust just one source). It flows fairly well and answers the bell for the purpose I bought it. I will be purchasing the similar one that covers pre-columbus!
on May 12, 2017
My son loves this book, but I would just say it's for a more mature reader-- I'd say 14 years plus
on December 16, 2016
Was very happy. Package came on time and I am happy with item. I would buy from this seller again.