Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 31 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 36 reviews
on September 26, 2016
This book is not "bad". Sadly, it isn't too great either.

A great deal of time is spent explaining the principles behind statistical conceptions, though only the most basic topics are actually addressed and a reader possessing no familiarity with the subject matter would still not be able to use statistics (or even remotely understand principles like standard error, sampling distributions, etc). If you are thinking of buying this, please don't use this as your main source of research --the other "Cartoon Guide to Statistics" (by Gonick) is a much more thorough, albeit slightly more challenging, read. I'd recommend it in conjunction with other educational resources (like Khan Academy). This should be saved for those folks that are barred from the Ferris wheel due to height restrictions.
on August 3, 2015
Cartoons are difficult to read (tiny print). Not too much explanation for things like regression, chi-squared, etc. My advice is to buy The Cartoon Guide to Statistics. I needed a stats book ASAP and this one shipped next day, but in hindsight I should have bought the other one.
on October 24, 2014
To me statistics is a thoroughly fascinating study of how to put information about almost any subject which deals with controversial (or otherwise) variables in perspective. However, I have family and friends who illogically fear the undertaking of this study more than a root canal without anesthesia. It is for those that this book was written. It very gently leads the reader into the basics of the subject in an extremely friendly and non-threatening comic book format which, in all honesty, is actually humorous with some truly hilarious puns throughout the dialogue.

This book is highly recommended for any student who may be facing a required course in college statistics with trepidation or for any adult who is searching for an effective, easily understood primer to introduce them to a fascinating way to use numbers and/or questionnaires to reach conclusions.
on September 1, 2013
Fun reading and very informative. Excellent introduction of some of the most important principles of statistics. Statistics are used by politicians, businesses, and drug companies many times to try and lead to unwarranted conclusions. This book shows how to use statistics properly and how to judge whether statistics are valid. I would recommend this book to anyone with a curious mind.
on June 10, 2016
I have been recommending this book to my public policy doctoral students for a decade, and used to assign a chapter as supplemental background reading in my econ class when we covered Bayes rule. Now that I'm teaching a section of our MPA stats course, it is a required reading. I wouldn't want this to be the only book my students read on stats, but I think it is an extremely useful supplement. (I always needed to read three textbooks in parallel when I was learning this stuff.) He pulls out the core ideas in a parsimious, readable, and humorous fashion.

It is an old book, but intro stats is still intro stats.
on October 6, 2013
I got a copy of this after seeing it reviewed in Scientific American. Although I have had statistics classes and used the fundamentals for years, this book brought back the fundamentals of statistics. It really helps you visualize the data and how to best apply the tools. I am getting copies for everyone who works for me. Lucky them.
on January 3, 2014
My son loves this book. I am all in favor or raising nerds and not jocks. The subject matter is for slightly older kids but he has had no problem understanding and following it. I ordered him these guys intro to Economics too.
on January 25, 2016
not that helpful
on May 29, 2014
I have taken three statistics courses at college level. I read another cartoon statistics book, too. That one was mostly about probabilities. This one gets into the guts of statistics. Some people get statistics right away and when they do, they can't be swayed. They just know, and they ruin the curve. The other 95% of us struggle. This is the best book I have ever seen on explaining statistics. Not only does it give you a clear understanding, it's—believe it or not—fun to read.
on May 23, 2016
I was hoping for something that would help me introduce statistics to my kids. This looks like a jumbled mess. Statistics is complex enough as is; and this book's format and presentation is very unclear.