Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Book House Cleaning girlss6 tgirlss6 girlss6  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM

Showing 1-10 of 777 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 833 reviews
VINE VOICEon August 26, 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )|Verified Purchase
I own a number of cases and here's what I can tell you. Stay away from the backpack style unless you have a specific need for them. It's easier to carry cases with a single shoulder strap and a handle (for when you want to carry it suitcase-style). With backpacks, getting things in an out will require you to place it on a flat surface or balance it precariously on your hand or knee. You more or less have to open the whole thing and if you are doing the balancing act, your stuff can take a spill.

The ones that are shaped like typical gadget bags (kind of boxy) are better. It's easier to get to your stuff than with a backpack, yet they can hold quite a bit depending on the size you get. I personally like Ape Case bags when I want to carry "all my stuff". The one drawback is that sometimes you want to travel as lean as you can, yet still carry the essentials. For me, that means my camera body and three lenses - an 18-55, a 55-200, and a 50 mm prime. I had an 18-200 lens, but I gave it to my wife so I have to carry these three lenses with me. Of course, I would not feel complete without my flash. To be specific, I have a Nikon SB-800. The body with either non-prime lens attached, fits well in the center compartment. On either side of the center compartment, there are somewhat tubular-shaped side compartments. The two extra lenses fit perfectly together in one of the compartments. Their rear caps touch, but they are not in any peril. The SB-800 fits perfectly in the other side compartment. The extra lenses and the flash fit perfectly, but that means "in the raw" - not inside a lens pouch or the flash case. That's just fine, because I don't want to remove the flash from the compartment and then have to remove it from another container, which I would then have to worry about losing. Same with the lenses. I like to be quick on the draw.

That leaves me with a front and rear pocket to put lens cleaning stuff (essential), extra memory, etc..

By the way, the center compartment has a sling, or "hammock" as Caselogic calls it. The lens goes through the hole in the center of the sling. The sling is designed to cradle and support the camera body, suspending it and acting like a shock absorber. The truth is that the sling will only work that way if you have a short lens attached. If you have a zoom attached, then the camera's weight will be supported by the lens resting on the bottom of the case. If you have your filters and your lens cap snug, this shouldn't be a problem. The good thing about the sling is the hole. It has ample give so that it doesn't remove your lens cap when you pull the camera out. That is not true of the Caselogic SLRC-201, which I also own. The 201 by the way, is for when you want to carry ONLY your camera with lens, and maybe a few tiny knick knacks.

The outside bottom of this case is like a solid rubber boot. It acts as a good barrier against rough terrain. It will also keep your stuff dry if you set the bag down on wet grass, etc.. It absorbs shock by distributing an impact.

The pleasant surprise is the shape of this case. It is shaped like a binocular case, which makes it less bulky than a rectangular case. It is also easier to carry at your side because it doesn't protrude as much. If you expect to be shooting on the go, say at an amusement park or while hiking, this case is much easier to tote and stow than a backpack or box-style case. You'll be mobile and quick on the draw.

The case material(s) are sturdy in places that need to be rugged, and softer where a gentle touch is required. Two places where the material is soft are under the lid of the main compartment (doesn't scratch your display screen), and on the side that touches your body when you carry it with the strap.
3232 comments| 249 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 26, 2015
I've owned and used this case for well over three years now. I've loved it every minute, have recommended it to many friends, and have been very happy with it. Until this year.

THE PROBLEM: The foam padding in this case starts to disintegrate after a couple years. At first I didn't think anything about it as I noticed a few tiny black specs on my camera. Then there were more and more, and I was desperately trying to figure out how my camera was getting so dirty, when I am a bit OCD about keeping it pristine and protected; it lives in the case all the time.

Then I pulled out a less-used accessory while shooting one day, and it was covered in the same super-fine black dust. Upon further investigation, the foam in the case has begun slowly disintegrating, and the bottom of the pocket was full of that ultra lightweight synthetic dust. The exact type of stuff that unleashes terror on cameras - it gets everywhere, clings by static, and is very difficult to remove. It can easily migrate inside the camera while changing lenses, etc, and there's no controlling it.

In short, is is precisely one of the worst flaws a camera case can have. Rather than protecting the camera from the outside elements, this bag exposed the camera to even worse conditions inside the bag.

I've included a picture - you can see the black dust piling up in the bottom of the main compartment, and this is after I've shaken it out a couple times. I'm not sure the source of it: my guess is that it's either from the eggcrate-texture padding in the top flap, or due to degradation of the neoprene sling.

This is an absolute deal-breaker for an otherwise perfect small dSLR bag. (Luckily I caught it early, otherwise I could see this permanently damaging lenses and camera bodies with dust that would be near impossible to remove without professional help.)
review image
It was the suspension system that got my attention on this Caselogic camera bag. My previous camera bag didn't have that feature so I always worried about the lens being damaged by it hitting the bottom of the bag when on a hard surface. Not only does the suspension system hold the camera in place off the bottom but the bottom is well padded too.

Someone commented that they would like the top flap to open the other way. It seems fine to me but I see no reason why the bag couldn't be turned around the other way and still be comfortable.

The zippers are all high quality and zip easily. The shoulder strap is narrow but the sliding padded portion is ample and soft. I really like the idea of the waterproof bottom. I'm unlikely to put my bag on the ground but perhaps a wet park bench or table would be a place where that extra protection will be appreciated. The entire bag is padded so should provide some protection for what ever I have inside.

My fault I ordered the wrong bag though. I watched the video on the 201 bag and thought that would be perfect. When I opened the box from Amazon I was surprised at the size of the bag and double checked my order. My mistake, I ordered the larger 201. I'm going to keep the bag though. I'll find uses for the extra side pockets such as the power cable and perhaps my cell phone and iPod Touch, extra battery, etc. I have a DSLR but only use one lens so I didn't need the side pockets for that purpose. Even with the side pockets it is only slightly larger than my previous bag (which I gave to my son along with my old camera!)

Update Nov 17, 2010
I just returned from two weeks in France where I used the camera bag. One thing I found is I actually like having the top open the way it is designed. It often rained in France but the way the flap opened away from my body meant the camera was just a bit more protected from the rain. Also it seemed more secure in a city that warns of pickpockets.
on September 14, 2010
I've read the many reviews from the 5 stars to the 3 stars. I must say I side with the 3 stars for many of the same reasons.

I have a Nikon D90, which is a medium size DSLR with a 3.5" zoom lens.

The overall size, construction and quality of this case is great. But there's several fit and function issues and I'm returning the case.

The 1st problem was the thin shoulder straps. A wider and thicker strap would provide more stability with less twist and swing when shouldering and faster access.

The hammock suspension system only has one side that is velcro adjustable while the other side is sewed and fixed to the case. My pop-up flash rubbed up against the side of the bag and it popped up several times when trying to put the camera into the suspension slot. Also when pulling the camera out, the hammock material pulls out with the camera and stagging. A thicker and more adjustable neoprene would allow better placement and less snag depositing into and withdrawing from the case.

The zippered flap lifts away from the body which makes it less accessible since the flap doesn't easily bend and fold away from you enough to access the camera easily. Having a flap that opens towards your body may be more efficient to quickly access the camera.

Having a belt loop on the case with a thicker shoulder strap would allow for holster carry of the case too. The case size is suitable for an additional carry option.

Back to my old 20 year old case until something more suitable.
on March 21, 2017
Great bag. Love the shock prevention cradle that the camera sits in and the flat, hard rubber, bottom. Good bag for one DSLR and possibly, aonther lens. Side pockets could be a little bigger to hold a lens bigger than a 50mm or 28mm Primary. Pockets are not big enough for any zoom lenses, but on Camera in the main cargo area works fine. Good quality...tough.
on March 15, 2017
I have the single version of this, so when I saw this one I had to have it. I can carry three lens and charger in this. Would recommend!
on January 9, 2016
Case accommodates my Canon 6d camera with 24-105 mm f/4 lens and hood. I have been using another case from this manufacturer for 1 year and I was very satisfied.
on June 11, 2015
Bought this bag in May 2015, first time use on a trip to Key West the side strap broke when walking on Duval street.
review image
on July 11, 2011
Forget the price, this is an awesome case! Oh yeah, we're all broke. Then it's a rockstar case! Great protection, love the hard bottom, well padded, great look. I didn't find anything similar elsewhere for even CLOSE to this price. Love it!
on January 14, 2010
I was nervous about buying this site unseen. Should I go with the medium or the large? I have a Canon XSi. It easily fits in the main section - with the standard lens. My zoom lens [55-250mm] fits in one of the side compartments. I was nervous about this part, but was really happy with the fit. The other side compartment swallows up the battery charger, small tripod and lens filters. I don't even use the front pouch.
One thing to point out. This is a pretty big bag [IMO]. I was debating going with the large or the medium and am very glad I bought this one. If you plan to carry only one or two extra lenses and have a camera similar in size to mine, go with this bag.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.