Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Red and Rose nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade 2018 Planners modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon harrypotter harrypotter harrypotter  Three new members of the Echo family Today only: Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now

VINE VOICEon May 9, 2013
Color: Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Casio Men's AQ-S810W-1AV solar sports combination watch comes in standard Casio watch packaging which is easy to open with hands, no nails or hardware needed. The watch is covered with a small plastic bag, mounted on the standard Casio watch tree. A red sign points out that this is a self-charging watch. There is a protective sticky on the face of the watch (that I removed).

The instructions are squeezed at the bottom of the watch tree. The diagrams are readable but the text may be too small for some. The guide is 64 pages long in English, followed by the same thing in Spanish. Warranty and City Codes are at the back of the booklet. Additionally there are two separate pieces of paper, a warranty and recharging tips (useful!). From what I can tell, the warranty is one year. The rechargeable battery does not need to be replaced unless it becomes defective or worn out. The Amazon outside packaging has a warning that a rechargeable lithium ion battery is inside.

As worn, the watch weighs 1.5 ounces. The adjustable part of the wrist strap covers 7cm with 11 holes. The watch part (excluding the wrist strap) is about 5cm by 5cm at the longest/widest. At the bottom of the watch, it says "water resistant ten bar".

The watch came with Medium charge out of the box. After two days of wearing it (and not doing anything specific to charge it) it went to High charge and has remained there since. On average I am outside 1-2 hours per day and I don't block the watch by sleeves. But I don't do anything else to charge it.

There is no tick tock sound when you put your ear to it. After you set the time digitally, the analog hands move to the correct time. You can't adjust the hands directly like you can with other watches - there is no crown.

In the dark, the hours/minutes hand along with the 3/6/9/12 numbers are visible. If you are used to analog watches, you should be able to tell time by those.

The digital display seems to have some sort of a power saving mode. If I take off the watch and don't wear it for a few hours, the digital display goes dark. After I put it on again, it comes alive. I don't know if it depends on motion or light exposure. Next to the digital display is a seconds counter. It counts 5 seconds, one at a time by darkening a 5-bar mini display.

I found some practical uses for the extra features: the Timer (TMR) is useful for brewing tea as long as your brewing time is the same every time. It remembers the previous setting, so you don't have to set it up every time. But if you want to use a different duration (eg 5 minutes instead of 3), you have to set up the Timer again. The Stopwatch (STW) is useful for typical stopwatch functions. It counts up to an hour. If the hour passes, it resets to zero but continues counting.

USABILITY ISSUES
There are a few usability issues with the watch itself:

The alarm sounds are very low and too short. Don't count on these to wake you up.

The digital display is fairly small with fairly small numbers.

There are three options for the digital display when it is in time/date mode: Day (eg THU) or Date (eg 5.9) pr Time (3:55). PM is a tiny little "P" on the bottom left corner of the small digital display. Each one of those three options end with the seconds ticking. If you find this irritating, simply switch to a different mode (eg Timer or Stopwatch or Alarm).

The Light (Right Side Top button) only lights up the digital display box, not the face of the watch.

POTENTIAL DEAL KILLER
So far this reads like a digital hippie's dream watch. But there is a problem. There is a learning curve that comes with it. The problem is two fold. The operating steps are cumbersome and the user guide is poorly written. Poorly because it describes the watch's menus and operations. A user guide needs to describe how you - the user - can get things done!

I am used to cumbersome operations, and I never a met a VCR I couldn't program (actually VCRs got a bad reputation, they were not _that bad_ to program). Setting this one up was more frustrating than programming a VCR. So if you get easily irritated by having to follow arcane instructions, this is something to keep in mind.

We are also more spoiled these days. When we have user friendly things like iOS and Android, the expectations increase for other devices as well. And people's patience grows thinner.

After spending a few days with it, I now sort of got the hang of it. Sort of! I had to surrender and submit to the will of the arcane instructions :) In general, the key to operations is the Left Side Bottom button (Mode). That drives the train. The Right Side Bottom button (Search) cycles through the options of each menu. The Left Side Top button (Adjust) is used for setting and resetting. The other button has some uses too. When changing numbers (eg minutes, date, etc), the two Right side buttons are used to increase or decrease the number. A press-and-hold makes the numbers move faster.
1616 comments| 355 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 7, 2017
Really good quality watch! So it has held up very well my the harsh work environment. I've had no problems or issues with this watch at all, and for the price, you can't beat it! I purchased 2 more to give as gifts to friends. It is multi-lingual, which is the main reason I tried this watch. Another good feature is the end of the watchband stays in place and doesn't pop out! It has all of the usual other features, world time, stop-watch, day-date, etc. Just choose your time zone, and it automatically sets it's own time! If it doesn't, just set the digital time to the correct time, and the analog hands will auto-set, simple! Highly recommended!
on June 2, 2017
The controls have never become intuitive to me but it keeps great time me, stays charged easily and looks good as a wear every day to work watch--whether I'm wearing a suit or jeans and a T-shirt, it sort of fits right in.
on March 17, 2016
I've been terrified about running out of solar battery for this watch, but it's been three or four weeks and no special sunlight times after the first week. I just wear it normally, jacket covering it, only letting the light from my open window hit it. It's always on high battery.
I don't use any of the special functions, like the stopwatches or the alarms, but they are very nice additions. There are two stop watches that can run simultaneously, and there are five alarms to be set.
The set up is a little confusing, but I read the user manual and there are quick guides on the internet available. The thing I had the worst problem with was setting up the time because you have to set it to a specific time zone and I couldn't figure out which one was mine. It also said it would use daylight savings as an automatic switch-over, but I had to do it myself, although it was easy enough.
All in all, I really love this watch. It's a little bit bigger than my old freestyle, and definitely lighter, but it's a great watch and I love it.
VINE VOICEon September 19, 2016
I bought this when it was on sale for $27. What a great value at this price. The hands are easy to read. The LCD is small, but readable. Illumination at night is good as far as the hands and dials are concerned, but the LCD is difficult to read. It's quartz, so it's as accurate as any thing other. Overall, a handsome, durable watch. Solar charging is a huge bonus...no more batteries.
on May 27, 2014
I have been using this watch for more than a year, and it's probably the longest lasting watch I have ever owned. It works perfectly (if your requirement are a watch that tells time accurately, and does not die on you). Nothing fancy here, just a good ole watch that works - and sometimes that is a good thing. I am having the impression that this watch is going to last me forever (with proper care of course!) due to the self charging solar powered batteries. Most of the time, when battery operated watches die, I tend to procrastinate with replacing the batteries (and would probably go on without a watch for a long period of time, then misplace the watch, and end up getting another one). No such excuses with this watch though!

I am a huge fan of the G-Shock watches by Casio, mainly due to the resin band (which are the only type of material that I can tolerate for extended periods, on my wrist) and the large clock face. Though this is no G-Shock, it is amazingly similar in the look and feel department. It's very comfortable to wear.

Love the fact that it's both analogue and digital, and the only reason I'm giving it 4 stars is because I'd wished the digital part was a little larger than what it is. When one of the hands are directly on top of the digital display, you could hardly make out the information. Also, the lights go out really quickly once pressed.

These complaints aside, this is one watch that I'm going to be wearing tirelessly for a long time. Definitely worth the price, with a return of investments many times over!
awesome watch for the value. i really wanted the G-shock atomic solar watch (for SHTF, survival, etc) but when i saw there was a $70 difference between that and this, i quickly realized i could deal with not have atomic timing. I've had it for a few months and it's been keeping perfect time. i received it with a half solar charge so when i wore it out i would make sure to keep it open to the sun and after a week or so it was fully charged. i didn't have any issues with the digital not 100% syncing up with the analog like some have stated, it just adjusted and was done. i honestly don't have any complaints except for maybe i wish the clasp hardware was metal instead of plastic. i can foresee that breaking with hard use or snagging it the right way on something, and then i'll have to be on the hunt for a replacement. but that doesn't merit a knock down in stars. $30 or so for a solar watch is great.
on June 26, 2017
It is very difficult to set but once you get it set this watch is really great. Call the toll-free number provided and ask them how to set the watch. I tried to search YouTube to figure out how to set the watch on my own by way of instructions on YouTube and was unsuccessful. So call the toll-free number that comes with the watch for help.
on November 8, 2015
This is a great watch, as I didn't expect so much features at this price range, let alone a solar watch. The analog hands adjusted automatically as soon as I opened the pack. I loved the rugged manly design, though a bit big dial for my small wrist. I read several reviews complaining about small digital display. But I don't have any problem reading it, maybe older people need to consider the fact while going for it. The dial is brown not black like the strap and casing, but it still went well with the rest of the watch. The illuminator lights only the digital display. But the neon glow on the hands and hourly figures should be sufficient. You would need to keep the manual safe as the adjustments are not very straight forward.
Digital display features include,
- World time
- Daylight savings time
- Date
- Timer
- Stop watch
- Hourly chime
- Seconds
Good usability feature, I loved is the option to have one time in the analog and another timezone in the digital.
All in all a great watch. Just go for it!!
on November 7, 2015
I've only had the watch for about a week but it seems like it's going to hold up well. I like the solar charging function. Hopefully the battery will hold up for many years. The watch is easy to set and easy to read (at least the analog time). A couple of things to know about before purchasing: 1) the digital window at the bottom is almost too small to see the display, really really small 2) if the minute hand is anywhere between the 5 and 7 it covers up most of the window making the tiny read out impossible to see. Not a deal breaker for me but sometimes annoying. I'm not a watch aficionado, I just wanted a straightforward easy to read watch and this meets my needs.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.