Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Train Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

VINE VOICEon May 9, 2013
Color: Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Casio Men's AQ-S810W-1AV solar sports combination watch comes in standard Casio watch packaging which is easy to open with hands, no nails or hardware needed. The watch is covered with a small plastic bag, mounted on the standard Casio watch tree. A red sign points out that this is a self-charging watch. There is a protective sticky on the face of the watch (that I removed).

The instructions are squeezed at the bottom of the watch tree. The diagrams are readable but the text may be too small for some. The guide is 64 pages long in English, followed by the same thing in Spanish. Warranty and City Codes are at the back of the booklet. Additionally there are two separate pieces of paper, a warranty and recharging tips (useful!). From what I can tell, the warranty is one year. The rechargeable battery does not need to be replaced unless it becomes defective or worn out. The Amazon outside packaging has a warning that a rechargeable lithium ion battery is inside.

As worn, the watch weighs 1.5 ounces. The adjustable part of the wrist strap covers 7cm with 11 holes. The watch part (excluding the wrist strap) is about 5cm by 5cm at the longest/widest. At the bottom of the watch, it says "water resistant ten bar".

The watch came with Medium charge out of the box. After two days of wearing it (and not doing anything specific to charge it) it went to High charge and has remained there since. On average I am outside 1-2 hours per day and I don't block the watch by sleeves. But I don't do anything else to charge it.

There is no tick tock sound when you put your ear to it. After you set the time digitally, the analog hands move to the correct time. You can't adjust the hands directly like you can with other watches - there is no crown.

In the dark, the hours/minutes hand along with the 3/6/9/12 numbers are visible. If you are used to analog watches, you should be able to tell time by those.

The digital display seems to have some sort of a power saving mode. If I take off the watch and don't wear it for a few hours, the digital display goes dark. After I put it on again, it comes alive. I don't know if it depends on motion or light exposure. Next to the digital display is a seconds counter. It counts 5 seconds, one at a time by darkening a 5-bar mini display.

I found some practical uses for the extra features: the Timer (TMR) is useful for brewing tea as long as your brewing time is the same every time. It remembers the previous setting, so you don't have to set it up every time. But if you want to use a different duration (eg 5 minutes instead of 3), you have to set up the Timer again. The Stopwatch (STW) is useful for typical stopwatch functions. It counts up to an hour. If the hour passes, it resets to zero but continues counting.

USABILITY ISSUES
There are a few usability issues with the watch itself:

The alarm sounds are very low and too short. Don't count on these to wake you up.

The digital display is fairly small with fairly small numbers.

There are three options for the digital display when it is in time/date mode: Day (eg THU) or Date (eg 5.9) pr Time (3:55). PM is a tiny little "P" on the bottom left corner of the small digital display. Each one of those three options end with the seconds ticking. If you find this irritating, simply switch to a different mode (eg Timer or Stopwatch or Alarm).

The Light (Right Side Top button) only lights up the digital display box, not the face of the watch.

POTENTIAL DEAL KILLER
So far this reads like a digital hippie's dream watch. But there is a problem. There is a learning curve that comes with it. The problem is two fold. The operating steps are cumbersome and the user guide is poorly written. Poorly because it describes the watch's menus and operations. A user guide needs to describe how you - the user - can get things done!

I am used to cumbersome operations, and I never a met a VCR I couldn't program (actually VCRs got a bad reputation, they were not _that bad_ to program). Setting this one up was more frustrating than programming a VCR. So if you get easily irritated by having to follow arcane instructions, this is something to keep in mind.

We are also more spoiled these days. When we have user friendly things like iOS and Android, the expectations increase for other devices as well. And people's patience grows thinner.

After spending a few days with it, I now sort of got the hang of it. Sort of! I had to surrender and submit to the will of the arcane instructions :) In general, the key to operations is the Left Side Bottom button (Mode). That drives the train. The Right Side Bottom button (Search) cycles through the options of each menu. The Left Side Top button (Adjust) is used for setting and resetting. The other button has some uses too. When changing numbers (eg minutes, date, etc), the two Right side buttons are used to increase or decrease the number. A press-and-hold makes the numbers move faster.
1616 comments| 352 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 27, 2017
That solar battery is great. The instructions make a big deal about long sleeves, but that's all I wear at work, and the thing has remained on high charge the whole time I've had it (month and a half). We'll see how well it keeps up through repeated charges, but so far time keeping has been very reliable.
The main flaw is the resin band and case. Granted, I'm a Do-It-Yourselfer when not at work and that may account for the fact that the lettering on the case has begun to fade out from top to bottom. "Tough Solar" is totally gone, "Adjust" and "Light" are on the way, and like that. Then there are patches on the case and the band that have turned into what appears to be a gray/white powder which doesn't just wash off. I've mean meaning to use a vinyl cleaner on it but am afraid I'll rub off all the remaining tabs before I learn which is which.
Could I have asked for more for the price?
on December 7, 2017
Really good quality watch! So it has held up very well my the harsh work environment. I've had no problems or issues with this watch at all, and for the price, you can't beat it! I purchased 2 more to give as gifts to friends. It is multi-lingual, which is the main reason I tried this watch. Another good feature is the end of the watchband stays in place and doesn't pop out! It has all of the usual other features, world time, stop-watch, day-date, etc. Just choose your time zone, and it automatically sets it's own time! If it doesn't, just set the digital time to the correct time, and the analog hands will auto-set, simple! Highly recommended!
on December 7, 2017
A little on the large side, but not bad. It dug into the front of my wrist, but if I loosened it helped. My issue is very hard to read it the triangles are not luminous and the minute hard is also hard to read at night. World time is nice. Light works ok, but if you need glasses forget about it. Price was excellent and I wanted to like it, but I probably will keep it as a back up if my other Casio stops working.
on June 2, 2017
The controls have never become intuitive to me but it keeps great time me, stays charged easily and looks good as a wear every day to work watch--whether I'm wearing a suit or jeans and a T-shirt, it sort of fits right in.
on November 14, 2017
Instructions to set date not easy to follow. Minute hand covers date when time is between 25, 30 and 35 minutes past the hour. The date and digital window is very small... hard to read. The watch face is very large so they could have made that window a bit larger. I returned it... no questions asked... full refund. Now to find the right Casio watch. My husband has owned 3 Casios in the last 30 years... very well made watches.
on March 24, 2015
Very pleased with this watch. I have a Casio G shock watch that I've had for many years with no problems and was drawn to this watch by the analog display and low price,as well as previous experience with the brand.Some reviews regarding set-up were of concern to me but others reported no difficulties.I'm sure glad I went ahead and ordered it.I had no problems reading the manual,which is small and followed the directions for set-up in order,which is the key for success.It went relatively smoothly and the only time there was a problem was when I didn't follow the sequence in the manual.Having a number of more expensive watches,I'm surprised that this Casino is currently my favorite.It is accurate,easy to read,very light and comfortable on the wrist.Once set,the calendar does not need to be adjusted for differing days in the months,DST,or year until the year 3000.Solar charged battery,water proof,shock resistant,perpetual calendar with multiple alarms and stop watch as well as other functions;I am very pleased,and the price can't be beat!
on November 1, 2016
Pros: light weight, big numbers, easy to press buttons, alarms and related features, solar powered, fits larger wrists, clean straight forward layout
Cons: very small digital readout, dim light, light only illuminates digital readout window, when minute had covers digital readout almost impossible to read if not impossible at night, no second hand.
on February 2, 2015
The watch looks good, but setting the watch is not intuitive. Even though the watch has a dial, the hands have to be set electronically, and you do not set the time but the time zone you live in. The instructions were in very small print and hard to read. I will have to stash the instructions somewhere, because if I use the watch in a different time zone I will be lost. If I knew it was going to be this much trouble adjusting all of the settings, I would probably have looked somewhere else. On the positive side, it is a good looking watch, and it is solar powered, And it was inexpensive.
on March 17, 2016
I've been terrified about running out of solar battery for this watch, but it's been three or four weeks and no special sunlight times after the first week. I just wear it normally, jacket covering it, only letting the light from my open window hit it. It's always on high battery.
I don't use any of the special functions, like the stopwatches or the alarms, but they are very nice additions. There are two stop watches that can run simultaneously, and there are five alarms to be set.
The set up is a little confusing, but I read the user manual and there are quick guides on the internet available. The thing I had the worst problem with was setting up the time because you have to set it to a specific time zone and I couldn't figure out which one was mine. It also said it would use daylight savings as an automatic switch-over, but I had to do it myself, although it was easy enough.
All in all, I really love this watch. It's a little bit bigger than my old freestyle, and definitely lighter, but it's a great watch and I love it.