Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM $24.99 for a limited time only Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Echo Plus  Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Just Dance 2018 Shop Now HTL17_gno

VINE VOICEon May 9, 2013
Color: Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Casio Men's AQ-S810W-1AV solar sports combination watch comes in standard Casio watch packaging which is easy to open with hands, no nails or hardware needed. The watch is covered with a small plastic bag, mounted on the standard Casio watch tree. A red sign points out that this is a self-charging watch. There is a protective sticky on the face of the watch (that I removed).

The instructions are squeezed at the bottom of the watch tree. The diagrams are readable but the text may be too small for some. The guide is 64 pages long in English, followed by the same thing in Spanish. Warranty and City Codes are at the back of the booklet. Additionally there are two separate pieces of paper, a warranty and recharging tips (useful!). From what I can tell, the warranty is one year. The rechargeable battery does not need to be replaced unless it becomes defective or worn out. The Amazon outside packaging has a warning that a rechargeable lithium ion battery is inside.

As worn, the watch weighs 1.5 ounces. The adjustable part of the wrist strap covers 7cm with 11 holes. The watch part (excluding the wrist strap) is about 5cm by 5cm at the longest/widest. At the bottom of the watch, it says "water resistant ten bar".

The watch came with Medium charge out of the box. After two days of wearing it (and not doing anything specific to charge it) it went to High charge and has remained there since. On average I am outside 1-2 hours per day and I don't block the watch by sleeves. But I don't do anything else to charge it.

There is no tick tock sound when you put your ear to it. After you set the time digitally, the analog hands move to the correct time. You can't adjust the hands directly like you can with other watches - there is no crown.

In the dark, the hours/minutes hand along with the 3/6/9/12 numbers are visible. If you are used to analog watches, you should be able to tell time by those.

The digital display seems to have some sort of a power saving mode. If I take off the watch and don't wear it for a few hours, the digital display goes dark. After I put it on again, it comes alive. I don't know if it depends on motion or light exposure. Next to the digital display is a seconds counter. It counts 5 seconds, one at a time by darkening a 5-bar mini display.

I found some practical uses for the extra features: the Timer (TMR) is useful for brewing tea as long as your brewing time is the same every time. It remembers the previous setting, so you don't have to set it up every time. But if you want to use a different duration (eg 5 minutes instead of 3), you have to set up the Timer again. The Stopwatch (STW) is useful for typical stopwatch functions. It counts up to an hour. If the hour passes, it resets to zero but continues counting.

USABILITY ISSUES
There are a few usability issues with the watch itself:

The alarm sounds are very low and too short. Don't count on these to wake you up.

The digital display is fairly small with fairly small numbers.

There are three options for the digital display when it is in time/date mode: Day (eg THU) or Date (eg 5.9) pr Time (3:55). PM is a tiny little "P" on the bottom left corner of the small digital display. Each one of those three options end with the seconds ticking. If you find this irritating, simply switch to a different mode (eg Timer or Stopwatch or Alarm).

The Light (Right Side Top button) only lights up the digital display box, not the face of the watch.

POTENTIAL DEAL KILLER
So far this reads like a digital hippie's dream watch. But there is a problem. There is a learning curve that comes with it. The problem is two fold. The operating steps are cumbersome and the user guide is poorly written. Poorly because it describes the watch's menus and operations. A user guide needs to describe how you - the user - can get things done!

I am used to cumbersome operations, and I never a met a VCR I couldn't program (actually VCRs got a bad reputation, they were not _that bad_ to program). Setting this one up was more frustrating than programming a VCR. So if you get easily irritated by having to follow arcane instructions, this is something to keep in mind.

We are also more spoiled these days. When we have user friendly things like iOS and Android, the expectations increase for other devices as well. And people's patience grows thinner.

After spending a few days with it, I now sort of got the hang of it. Sort of! I had to surrender and submit to the will of the arcane instructions :) In general, the key to operations is the Left Side Bottom button (Mode). That drives the train. The Right Side Bottom button (Search) cycles through the options of each menu. The Left Side Top button (Adjust) is used for setting and resetting. The other button has some uses too. When changing numbers (eg minutes, date, etc), the two Right side buttons are used to increase or decrease the number. A press-and-hold makes the numbers move faster.
1616 comments| 349 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 2, 2017
The controls have never become intuitive to me but it keeps great time me, stays charged easily and looks good as a wear every day to work watch--whether I'm wearing a suit or jeans and a T-shirt, it sort of fits right in.
on November 14, 2017
Instructions to set date not easy to follow. Minute hand covers date when time is between 25, 30 and 35 minutes past the hour. The date and digital window is very small... hard to read. The watch face is very large so they could have made that window a bit larger. I returned it... no questions asked... full refund. Now to find the right Casio watch. My husband has owned 3 Casios in the last 30 years... very well made watches.
on March 24, 2015
Very pleased with this watch. I have a Casio G shock watch that I've had for many years with no problems and was drawn to this watch by the analog display and low price,as well as previous experience with the brand.Some reviews regarding set-up were of concern to me but others reported no difficulties.I'm sure glad I went ahead and ordered it.I had no problems reading the manual,which is small and followed the directions for set-up in order,which is the key for success.It went relatively smoothly and the only time there was a problem was when I didn't follow the sequence in the manual.Having a number of more expensive watches,I'm surprised that this Casino is currently my favorite.It is accurate,easy to read,very light and comfortable on the wrist.Once set,the calendar does not need to be adjusted for differing days in the months,DST,or year until the year 3000.Solar charged battery,water proof,shock resistant,perpetual calendar with multiple alarms and stop watch as well as other functions;I am very pleased,and the price can't be beat!
on July 21, 2015
Pros:
-This watch is tough. I've only had it a week or so, so durability is still up in the air, but this thing looks and feels like it can take a beating, and it already has a few times. I think this watch will last me a while. Speaking of which..
-Solar Power. So this thing runs on solar energy; no batteries, no cranks, just sun. As somebody who never remembers to replace watch batteries, or really any batteries at all, having a watch that never needs a battery is awesome. As long as the parts inside still work, all this watch needs is some exposure to sunlight and its back and kicking. It charged up to full for me from mid within a day or so of wear, and I was outside only a few hours that day; I doubt I'll have to worry about it going out as long as I'm using it. As long as I'm not stuck in a cavern for years or lost in deep space, this watch will keep charging and keep working. That's important to me.
-Digital watch display under the analog display. It's the only part that gets lit up by the 'illuminator' which, despite being rather dissapointing, makes for a nice dim way to read the time.

Cons:
-The band feels uncomfortable at times, I'm not sure if it's the ridged design or the material, but it never fits on perfectly, and gets uncomfortable to wear after a while.
-I don't know why some watch companies insist on plastering stuff like 'TOUGH SOLAR' and 'ILLUMINATOR' in big bold print, it's like self-advertising that can't be removed. I'm thinking about finding a marker of the same color as the watch and marking over all the words.
-This thing is terrible to program. It's not the most difficult thing, especially if all you want to do is set the time/date, but jeez, the system for the menu is about as far from intuitive as possible. I have to re-remember which button does what each time I reprogram something. At least watching the watch hands spin around after a time change is entertaining. Woo.
-Might as well not use the analog hands for precise time keeping; the digital part is where the magic happens, the analog hands are just controlled by the digital clock, and not perfectly I might add.

Bottom Line: So yeah, there are a lot of little flaws, but hey, this thing won't quit, and it's only like $30 right now. If it breaks down within the next 5 years then it won't be worth it though, this thing's value is in it's lasting power.
on November 1, 2016
Pros: light weight, big numbers, easy to press buttons, alarms and related features, solar powered, fits larger wrists, clean straight forward layout
Cons: very small digital readout, dim light, light only illuminates digital readout window, when minute had covers digital readout almost impossible to read if not impossible at night, no second hand.
on February 2, 2015
The watch looks good, but setting the watch is not intuitive. Even though the watch has a dial, the hands have to be set electronically, and you do not set the time but the time zone you live in. The instructions were in very small print and hard to read. I will have to stash the instructions somewhere, because if I use the watch in a different time zone I will be lost. If I knew it was going to be this much trouble adjusting all of the settings, I would probably have looked somewhere else. On the positive side, it is a good looking watch, and it is solar powered, And it was inexpensive.
on March 17, 2016
I've been terrified about running out of solar battery for this watch, but it's been three or four weeks and no special sunlight times after the first week. I just wear it normally, jacket covering it, only letting the light from my open window hit it. It's always on high battery.
I don't use any of the special functions, like the stopwatches or the alarms, but they are very nice additions. There are two stop watches that can run simultaneously, and there are five alarms to be set.
The set up is a little confusing, but I read the user manual and there are quick guides on the internet available. The thing I had the worst problem with was setting up the time because you have to set it to a specific time zone and I couldn't figure out which one was mine. It also said it would use daylight savings as an automatic switch-over, but I had to do it myself, although it was easy enough.
All in all, I really love this watch. It's a little bit bigger than my old freestyle, and definitely lighter, but it's a great watch and I love it.
VINE VOICEon September 19, 2016
I bought this when it was on sale for $27. What a great value at this price. The hands are easy to read. The LCD is small, but readable. Illumination at night is good as far as the hands and dials are concerned, but the LCD is difficult to read. It's quartz, so it's as accurate as any thing other. Overall, a handsome, durable watch. Solar charging is a huge bonus...no more batteries.
on May 27, 2014
I have been using this watch for more than a year, and it's probably the longest lasting watch I have ever owned. It works perfectly (if your requirement are a watch that tells time accurately, and does not die on you). Nothing fancy here, just a good ole watch that works - and sometimes that is a good thing. I am having the impression that this watch is going to last me forever (with proper care of course!) due to the self charging solar powered batteries. Most of the time, when battery operated watches die, I tend to procrastinate with replacing the batteries (and would probably go on without a watch for a long period of time, then misplace the watch, and end up getting another one). No such excuses with this watch though!

I am a huge fan of the G-Shock watches by Casio, mainly due to the resin band (which are the only type of material that I can tolerate for extended periods, on my wrist) and the large clock face. Though this is no G-Shock, it is amazingly similar in the look and feel department. It's very comfortable to wear.

Love the fact that it's both analogue and digital, and the only reason I'm giving it 4 stars is because I'd wished the digital part was a little larger than what it is. When one of the hands are directly on top of the digital display, you could hardly make out the information. Also, the lights go out really quickly once pressed.

These complaints aside, this is one watch that I'm going to be wearing tirelessly for a long time. Definitely worth the price, with a return of investments many times over!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.