Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

VINE VOICEon May 9, 2013
Color: Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Casio Men's AQ-S810W-1AV solar sports combination watch comes in standard Casio watch packaging which is easy to open with hands, no nails or hardware needed. The watch is covered with a small plastic bag, mounted on the standard Casio watch tree. A red sign points out that this is a self-charging watch. There is a protective sticky on the face of the watch (that I removed).

The instructions are squeezed at the bottom of the watch tree. The diagrams are readable but the text may be too small for some. The guide is 64 pages long in English, followed by the same thing in Spanish. Warranty and City Codes are at the back of the booklet. Additionally there are two separate pieces of paper, a warranty and recharging tips (useful!). From what I can tell, the warranty is one year. The rechargeable battery does not need to be replaced unless it becomes defective or worn out. The Amazon outside packaging has a warning that a rechargeable lithium ion battery is inside.

As worn, the watch weighs 1.5 ounces. The adjustable part of the wrist strap covers 7cm with 11 holes. The watch part (excluding the wrist strap) is about 5cm by 5cm at the longest/widest. At the bottom of the watch, it says "water resistant ten bar".

The watch came with Medium charge out of the box. After two days of wearing it (and not doing anything specific to charge it) it went to High charge and has remained there since. On average I am outside 1-2 hours per day and I don't block the watch by sleeves. But I don't do anything else to charge it.

There is no tick tock sound when you put your ear to it. After you set the time digitally, the analog hands move to the correct time. You can't adjust the hands directly like you can with other watches - there is no crown.

In the dark, the hours/minutes hand along with the 3/6/9/12 numbers are visible. If you are used to analog watches, you should be able to tell time by those.

The digital display seems to have some sort of a power saving mode. If I take off the watch and don't wear it for a few hours, the digital display goes dark. After I put it on again, it comes alive. I don't know if it depends on motion or light exposure. Next to the digital display is a seconds counter. It counts 5 seconds, one at a time by darkening a 5-bar mini display.

I found some practical uses for the extra features: the Timer (TMR) is useful for brewing tea as long as your brewing time is the same every time. It remembers the previous setting, so you don't have to set it up every time. But if you want to use a different duration (eg 5 minutes instead of 3), you have to set up the Timer again. The Stopwatch (STW) is useful for typical stopwatch functions. It counts up to an hour. If the hour passes, it resets to zero but continues counting.

USABILITY ISSUES
There are a few usability issues with the watch itself:

The alarm sounds are very low and too short. Don't count on these to wake you up.

The digital display is fairly small with fairly small numbers.

There are three options for the digital display when it is in time/date mode: Day (eg THU) or Date (eg 5.9) pr Time (3:55). PM is a tiny little "P" on the bottom left corner of the small digital display. Each one of those three options end with the seconds ticking. If you find this irritating, simply switch to a different mode (eg Timer or Stopwatch or Alarm).

The Light (Right Side Top button) only lights up the digital display box, not the face of the watch.

POTENTIAL DEAL KILLER
So far this reads like a digital hippie's dream watch. But there is a problem. There is a learning curve that comes with it. The problem is two fold. The operating steps are cumbersome and the user guide is poorly written. Poorly because it describes the watch's menus and operations. A user guide needs to describe how you - the user - can get things done!

I am used to cumbersome operations, and I never a met a VCR I couldn't program (actually VCRs got a bad reputation, they were not _that bad_ to program). Setting this one up was more frustrating than programming a VCR. So if you get easily irritated by having to follow arcane instructions, this is something to keep in mind.

We are also more spoiled these days. When we have user friendly things like iOS and Android, the expectations increase for other devices as well. And people's patience grows thinner.

After spending a few days with it, I now sort of got the hang of it. Sort of! I had to surrender and submit to the will of the arcane instructions :) In general, the key to operations is the Left Side Bottom button (Mode). That drives the train. The Right Side Bottom button (Search) cycles through the options of each menu. The Left Side Top button (Adjust) is used for setting and resetting. The other button has some uses too. When changing numbers (eg minutes, date, etc), the two Right side buttons are used to increase or decrease the number. A press-and-hold makes the numbers move faster.
1616 comments| 349 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 30, 2017
I have not worn a watch to work in years because I had worked for a cell phone friendly company. I recently switched jobs and found I needed a watch again. I needed one that had a timer and alarm and rugged to handle a little bit of abuse. I also wanted one that I would wear fishing. This watch does the job but not exactly perfect.

Looks 5 star. I think it's a good looking watch. The face of it is not cheap looking.

Functions 3 star. I love the fact it is solar. The backlit light is not much at all. Maybe that's because it solar but it's hard to see at night. Alarm beeps are not long enough or loud but this may be just a setting. Watch is complicated but not overly complicated. I was able to figure out most of the settings without The manual.

Price 5 star. Well worth the money to get a solar watch made by Casio for less than 40 bucks. I absolutely would buy another one.

Durability ? It looks a feels durable but I will withhold judgement until I see how it handles getting beat up a bit.
on July 22, 2016
The watch comes with a tiny instruction booklet which is thorough but can be challenging to read/follow during the MULTIPLE steps to setup. May want to look for instructions online on a Webpage if available to set up the watch. The light only Illuminates the small LED screen on mine, I thought it would illuminate the entire face of the watch. The Glow effect on indicators, hour/minute hands and markers don't glow very long. I was disappointed with the watch band. It is a very light material, the buckle? Clasp? Fastener seems very light, non metal, really question durability, it may just be a strong lightweight synthetic material but by feel doesn't seem like it will hold up very well over daily wear and the occasional snags that sometimes happen but then I work around and drive Trucks so reaching in tight storage compartments, under tight spaces, squeezing between pallets, reaching over storage racks etc. so may not be an issue for some. Regarding water resistance, it may or may not, I just need it to perform in Med/Heavy rain so time will tell. I do surf, kayak, hike, occasional river or lake fun but I will not be testing this watch. I don't consider it a rugged enough watch for an avid outdoorsman.
I purchased the watch for the SOLAR Charging feature, I'm on the road from time to time and becomes too difficult in a Tractor-Trailer to get to retailers who will replace batterys.
The watch looks good and keeps time. Personally I'm considering it a temporary watch until I find something I feel confident for long term with the Solar Feature.
Ok. For the Price I would say it is a value for casual daily wear but I really question the Solar SPORT name. I would pass on this if you're looking for G-Shock type wearability.
on October 15, 2016
I bought this as a gift for my father and he loved it! It is affordable and has a great design that makes it appropriate to use for all occasions. It is also very durable!
review image
on June 25, 2015
My goal was to find an inexpensive sport watch that was simple, rugged looking and analog. Ages ago I owned the original squarish G-shock and loved it. However, most everything I was able to find in the current G-Shock line was either too big, too expensive or had far too many bells and whistles. Plus I am just not a fan of all digital displays. That's just me.

This watch fits almost all of my criteria. It is made of lightweight resin and hits the sweet spot in size for me. It is nice and large but not bordering on ginormous like many G-Shocks. Despite it's size it is super light and I barely notice it.

Some may find the digital functions limited but I like that because it only includes things I will ACTUALLY use. 5 independent alarms, Stopwatch, 2 countdown timers and World Time is all I will ever need out of a watch.

My only knock on it is that the entire face does not illuminate. The light is only for the small digital display at the bottom. It's not a deal breaker but a fully lit face would have made the watch a 10 out of 10 for me.

All in all this is a great watch for the money and would recommend it to anyone looking for an inexpensive, simple sport watch with a nice rugged analog look.
on June 2, 2017
The controls have never become intuitive to me but it keeps great time me, stays charged easily and looks good as a wear every day to work watch--whether I'm wearing a suit or jeans and a T-shirt, it sort of fits right in.
on September 15, 2015
Okay, so I've spent thousands of dollars on over dozens of fancy watches over the years that are a pain in the ass because you have to replace the batteries and adjust the time and dates, mostly because I thought if you want something that looked nice, you gotta pay big bucks for it. I've recently become a salesman, and the first thing they told me about my appearance, is you gotta shave the beard, and you gotta lose the fancy shiny expensive looking watches...because it made me look like I was into it for the money (that's a no-no). One of my coworkers who makes over 100k a year said he bought one of these for $40 at a place that rhymes with moles. It looks sporty and less dressy, and if I insisted on wearing a watch, go for something like this. When I saw this watch at the department store, I thought it looked pretty sweet. I knew nothing about what it did, then read the reviews on Amazon and decided for $30, who gives a crap? If I don't like it I'll send it back.

I've had it for an hour, been tinkering around, and all I can say is WOW.

First thing you need to do when you get this watch is adjust it to your time zone. What's awesome about this, is that it KNOWS what time zone you're in, *IF* you know how to adjust it. PRO TIP: Hold down the adjust button for five seconds and the hands will move by themselves to 12:00. Then hold adjust again for 2 seconds and the watch will AUTOMATICALLY set the digital and analog time (yes, the analog will spin clock or counter-clockwise on its in to match the digital) to your time zone on its own for you. *MIND BLOWN* So anytime I get on a plane and fly, all I have to do is repeat this sequence, not even know what time it is or the zone I'm in, and the watch resets the time for me. KICK FRIGGIN ASS!

Not to mention it has a second time zone so you could know what time it is in Bangladesh (useless for me but cool nonetheless), 5 alarms, a stopwatch, military or standard time, the date, the day of the week, and probably a bunch of other features I'll learn about eventually but will probably never use. Then it's got a light for the digital that you can program for the amount of seconds you want it to light up! SCHA-WING! It's also solar which means I'll never have to pay for a battery because I'm outside in the sun for atleast an hour every day. Waterproof, lightweight, feels durable on my wrist. The glass over the watch feels cheap, but to be honest, who cares it's a work watch. And if the glass happens to break, woe is me, it's going to be another thirty bucks. Boo Hoo.

The manual is a beast and after 20 minutes of reading, I gave up and went to Google, and found my answers. Why rifle through a manual with the internet on your side? When you ask a question just include Casio Module 5208 and many of my questions were answered.

Never thought I'd come upon such a great watch that looks so good while being so cheap, and has so many features, for such a great price tag. 100% satisfied off the bat, everything else is icing on the cake. If you're on the fence, GET THIS WATCH you will NOT regret it!
on April 25, 2016
I had quit wearing watches for a couple of years because I hated replacing them every couple of years when the battery died. I have replaced batteries a few times but, after that, they always would fail because water would get in afterwards. I had a Lumenox watch and called the manufacturer to order new seal and they wouldn't sell it to me. They said I had to send them my watch and THEY would replace it. That's not going to happen so I quit wearing a watch altogether. Then, I saw this watch for a great price and though I'd take a chance. I really like it. The numbers are big enough and the luminescent parts seem to hold light for quite a while. Time will tell if the solar battery will last but, for now, I'm happy with it. If I had to complain about one thing, it would be that the last two digits of the digital display are "seconds" in every mode. I like to display the day of the week and, I would prefer to see the day of the month with it instead of the seconds. It's not a big deal and, I'm still giving it 5 stars but, that keeps it from being "perfect" in my opinion. I would recommend it to anyone.
on March 24, 2015
Very pleased with this watch. I have a Casio G shock watch that I've had for many years with no problems and was drawn to this watch by the analog display and low price,as well as previous experience with the brand.Some reviews regarding set-up were of concern to me but others reported no difficulties.I'm sure glad I went ahead and ordered it.I had no problems reading the manual,which is small and followed the directions for set-up in order,which is the key for success.It went relatively smoothly and the only time there was a problem was when I didn't follow the sequence in the manual.Having a number of more expensive watches,I'm surprised that this Casino is currently my favorite.It is accurate,easy to read,very light and comfortable on the wrist.Once set,the calendar does not need to be adjusted for differing days in the months,DST,or year until the year 3000.Solar charged battery,water proof,shock resistant,perpetual calendar with multiple alarms and stop watch as well as other functions;I am very pleased,and the price can't be beat!
on July 21, 2015
Pros:
-This watch is tough. I've only had it a week or so, so durability is still up in the air, but this thing looks and feels like it can take a beating, and it already has a few times. I think this watch will last me a while. Speaking of which..
-Solar Power. So this thing runs on solar energy; no batteries, no cranks, just sun. As somebody who never remembers to replace watch batteries, or really any batteries at all, having a watch that never needs a battery is awesome. As long as the parts inside still work, all this watch needs is some exposure to sunlight and its back and kicking. It charged up to full for me from mid within a day or so of wear, and I was outside only a few hours that day; I doubt I'll have to worry about it going out as long as I'm using it. As long as I'm not stuck in a cavern for years or lost in deep space, this watch will keep charging and keep working. That's important to me.
-Digital watch display under the analog display. It's the only part that gets lit up by the 'illuminator' which, despite being rather dissapointing, makes for a nice dim way to read the time.

Cons:
-The band feels uncomfortable at times, I'm not sure if it's the ridged design or the material, but it never fits on perfectly, and gets uncomfortable to wear after a while.
-I don't know why some watch companies insist on plastering stuff like 'TOUGH SOLAR' and 'ILLUMINATOR' in big bold print, it's like self-advertising that can't be removed. I'm thinking about finding a marker of the same color as the watch and marking over all the words.
-This thing is terrible to program. It's not the most difficult thing, especially if all you want to do is set the time/date, but jeez, the system for the menu is about as far from intuitive as possible. I have to re-remember which button does what each time I reprogram something. At least watching the watch hands spin around after a time change is entertaining. Woo.
-Might as well not use the analog hands for precise time keeping; the digital part is where the magic happens, the analog hands are just controlled by the digital clock, and not perfectly I might add.

Bottom Line: So yeah, there are a lot of little flaws, but hey, this thing won't quit, and it's only like $30 right now. If it breaks down within the next 5 years then it won't be worth it though, this thing's value is in it's lasting power.