Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Offline listening. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now Start your Baby Registry

on December 22, 2011
A good-looking combination of bells, whistles and retro-tech styling in a 21st century size. The case is medium-large at about 42mm (44mm including the pushers) but, at a slender 10.5mm, is not crazy thick like a lot of Casio analog-digitals or the G-Shock line. The dial seems designed for easy reading in all light conditions, with plenty of contrast between the dark, slightly shiny slate-color dial and off-white, partly skeletonized hands, and very little dial clutter such as lettering or logos. Luminous material on the hands and markers around the dial is generous, and maintains a visible, if dim, glow all night. The small digital readout will be hard for older gents to see without specs, but the digital functions are great and include a battery-charge indicator, two countdown timers that can be linked to function in sequence, and the usual "time in 31 cities around the world" feature found on many Casios. The watch hands set themselves when the digital time is set, and there is a separate function that allows fine-tuning of the analog time that results in very accurate setting of the hands. And while the minute hand partially obscures the digital readout for about 5 minutes per hour, the hour hand is short enough not to block the view of the digital window. In short, Casio designers seem to have put some real thought into this watch's design. Major bad stuff? Yes, the steel bracelet is cheap, folded metal you'd expect on a watch in this price range, and can be difficult to size if you haven't had experience with this type of bracelet before, but once sized, it is not totally uncomfortable and not too bad about hair-pulling, is actually fairly good-looking and visually well-matched to the watch. And the "lighted dial" is in reality a dim, sepia-color LED that illuminates only the front surface of the digital screen, not the whole watch dial. I give this Casio five stars because the buyer gets a cool, stylishly designed, highly functional watch for not much money. In this case, the price-quality trade-off common with low-end watches seems to work in the buyer's favor.
0Comment| 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 17, 2015
After using this watch for about a year without much problems except for the glass scratches... My watch got moisture inside the glass, isn't supposed to be water resistant?? Today after a little rain i see this... Disappointed!
review imagereview image
on April 15, 2013
I recently purchased this watch to replace my purely analog watch, and so far I am very satisfied with this watch. I was looking for a watch that is easy to set and is solar but still looks good, and I think this watch fits the bill well.

Pros:
- It has both an analog and digital time display, so you get the elegance of an analog watch with a digital display, which I think makes it easy to see the precise time.
- It's solar, so you shouldn't have to worry about replacing the battery for a long time (it has a rechargeable battery to store power for low-light situations). I've seen other Casio watches that say they have a "10-year battery", so perhaps the rechargeable battery in this watch has a similar lifespan. Also, they say the battery can power the watch for 10 months on a full charge, so it'll last a while in the dark.
- Impressive list of features: In addition to the features already mentioned, this watch features date display, 5 alarm settings, 2 timers, a stopwatch, display of time in different time zones around the world, and 100-meter water resistance. It also has a light that lights up the digital display and glow-in-the-dark coating on the analog hands and dial markers.
- It's easy to set the time. The time is set like a digital watch, and the analog hands synchronize with the digital clock, so you don't have to worry about getting the analog hands positioned precisely.
- It has a metal band, which should last much longer than a plastic band. There's also a version of this watch with a plastic band for those who prefer that.
- It looks nice (this is subjective though)

Cons:
- The beep used for the alarm, timers, etc. isn't very loud.

Other thoughts:
- The case is slightly larger than I prefer (I'm comparing to my Seiko SNAA30, which I think is a perfect size for me). This isn't a big deal though, since this watch still isn't terribly huge, like some other watches I've seen (including ones made by Casio).
- When this watch arrived in the mail, it said the battery charge level was "Mid". The first couple days I had this watch, I left it in a window when I was home during the day (during overcast/slightly sunny weather) and under a bright compact fluorescent light bulb for a couple hours in the evenings, and the battery was able to reach a "High" charge level.
- The set of features in this watch makes it a very good value for the price (I got it for around $34.50 from Amazon).
- I'm somewhat surprised Casio didn't use their Illuminator backlight for the digital display on this watch. The light used in this watch does the job well enough though.
- One of its features is that you can have it sync the analog hands with one of the other world times, which is nice if you travel
- This watch has a feature that lets you toggle daylight savings time (DST) on & off to set the hour ahead or back. I'm not sure why they included this as a feature - I think it's just as easy to simply advance the hour ahead or back. But the "proper" way to do it on this watch is to use the DST feature.

Overall, I think this is a great watch and a great value for the money. I also appreciate a watch that looks great, and I think this watch definitely looks great. I also think there is a certain coolness factor about a watch that is solar and still has the functionality that this watch has. I used to be very loyal to Timex and then bought a Seiko watch, but I must admit, I've always thought Casio has some fairly nice watches with innovative features and good looks.
11 comment| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 19, 2016
(update) In spite of limited exposure to light, the "solar" (light sensitive) charged battery seems to have reasonable capacity, already running almost a month without any sign of problems. Covered by long-sleeves most of the winter, it may still need to occasionally be set under artificial light, but it's not nearly as bad as I feared. Even though the design is attractive, the display is not quite as sharp and clear as it looks in the pictures.

Under a variety of lighting conditions, my aging eyes have trouble with small characters on the deeply recessed digital display, where shadow or glare can make it hard to see the small numbers - even though printing is sharp and clear. At the same time, the back-light doesn't help that much for the analog dial display under marginal lighting conditions (like dusk and night-time suburban driving).

The 'adjustable' band is a nice improvement over older metal Casio watch bands, even though adjustment is still a chore. Making it less likely the clasp will pop loose, the spring loaded clasp is another refreshing improvement.

Setting up the watch is relatively simple, with the hands automatically setting themselves to the digital set time. Time zone setting seemed to be one hour off, suggesting that I may have missed setting the daylight savings time feature. Otherwise, it automatically set to within seconds of the phone company's time. Not having to mess with the hands will be nice in moving back and forth between daylight savings time, or moving between time-zones.

Personally, I have found navigating between digital display functions awkward, and I would not trust stop-watch and timing functions for critical events.

In spite of these reservations, this seems to be a nice watch at a reasonable price, as long as you can live with its limitations.
on October 16, 2017
I have this watch and purchased another for a friend. While not perfect, it is a great value and nothing similar is available at this price point. I didn't want a digital watch or plastic watch, but the digital feature ads functionality.

To me there are several major pros of this watch:

1. Solar. I got really tired of replacing batteries. Over the years, the costs has really added up on my last watch, plus it is always a bit of a hassle to track down a sotre that has the right battery, so solar means no more replacing batteries.

2. Time zones. I travel internationally, so being able to set to time zones without having to do it totally manually is nice, though the interface is still a little annoying. (If you have the money, you can get a watch that automatically resets when you arrive in a new time zone.)

3. Date. Lots of watches have the date, but it is a must-have feature for me.

4. Metal band. I had a leather band before, but those wear out and need to be replaced fairly often, so metal band means I won't have to do that as often.

5. Glow-in-the-dark + light mean it is possible to check the time in the dark.

A few things I don't love:

1. No second hand. There is a second digital display, but I don't really like it.

2. The style. It's okay, but not great in my opinion.

3. The controls for all of the features require pushing the buttons to go through menus and isn't super-intuitive.

Overall, I feel that I made the right choice buying this watch. I like features that it has. It is comfortable and the style suits me fairly well. I love it because of the price. Basically, unless you want less features or to spend more, this watch is the only game in town.
on September 19, 2011
I have had this watch for three days now and I really like it. To my surprise, it was extremely light, especially when I compare it with my other Casio watches. For me it has all the options that I need (Solar powered, Month, day, year, stopwatch, countdown timer, world time, 5 alarms, and 100m water resistant).

This watch works for me for four reasons A) It has analog and digital display. B) It is solar powered. C) It has a stainless steal band. D) It is not expensive.

I think it is a smart investment (I do not have to worry about buying batteries ever again, or worry about the watch not being water resistant after the battery has been replaced). With all these options, and price, I think Casio found a market niche.

Extra information: Goes 10 months when fully charged without further light exposure (as per the catalog - again, I've only had it for three days). I think the window is plastic, but it does not scratch easily - no scratches so far at least.
22 comments| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 27, 2017
I was looking for a slim Ana-Digi watch to use in lieu my 10-year-old Casio Men's EFA120D-1AV Ana-Digi which needed replacing. The AQS800WD-1EV met my requirements, it is sleek, slim and very comfortable and not heavy on the wrist. The case material and band feels sturdy and durable. The AQS800WD-1EV , carries very accurate time, the time and date changes automatically by just changing the time zone. This watch has the appearance of one that might cost twice the price.

This AQS800WD-1EV has the following features:

• Solar powered Ana Digi
• 1/100 second stopwatch
• Countdown timer
• 5 alarms
• Auto calendar
• World time (31 time zones/ 48 cities)
• Water resistant to 100 metres.
• 6-language day of the week indicator
• LED light (LCD part only)
• Dimension 47.6×42×10.6mm mm / 89g.
• Sporty design

I have been using Casio watches for decades now and generally the quality of Casio is very good.
The only drawback with this watch is the case is made of resin [looks like chromed plastic].
I mistakenly thought it was a metal case. I hope it does not flake or peel with the passage of time.
Whilst I have this AQS800WD-1EV for only a week so far, I have had no regrets.
on December 30, 2011
I have had this watch for about a month. It is an incredible value at the price, with a great feature set. I only give it four stars because the band is so stiff that it is a little uncomfortable. Also, it's not obvious, but the body of the watch is plastic, even though it looks like stainless steel. It took me over a month to realize that it was not stainless steel.

The features include:

* Analog/digital display with hour and minute hands, but no second hand.
* Light-powered. It's a little bit of an exaggeration for Casio to say that the watch never needs batteries. The watch has a rechargeable battery that is charged by light. However, the rechargeable battery should last a good long time, so that you don't have to change the battery every two or three years.
* Digital display can be lit with the light button.
* Luminescent hands. They will glow for several hours after a good charge. I can read the time in the dark for at least seven hours after a good charge from a bright light.
* Time zone aware. When you set up the watch, you choose your time zone and whether daylight saving time is in effect or not. The watch can then calculate the current UTC time. You can then switch to any other time zone and the time changes automatically.
* Dual time zones. You set the home time zone and an alternate time zone. You can display the time in the alternate time zone in the digital display. If you are traveling, you can switch the alternate and home time zones, then switch back when you return home. Choose from among 48 cities in 31 time zones.
* The analog and digital displays are synchronized. When you change the digital time, the hands move to match the new time.
* The position of the hands relative to the digital time can be tweaked if they do not match exactly.
* Power-saving modes that save battery power. Most notable is that the digital display shuts down if it is dark for more than about 70 minutes between the hours of 11 pm and 6 am. The display comes back on when light is detected or a button is pressed.
* Five alarms.
* Optional hourly chime.
* Stopwatch.
* Two countdown timers.
* Four main options for the digital display: (1) month, date, and seconds, (2) day, day of week, and seconds, (3) hour, minute, and seconds, (4) hour and minute in alternate time zone.

Pros:
* Light-powered. Probably won't need a new rechargeable battery during its useful life.
* Both lighted display and luminescent hands for operation in the dark.
* Alternate time zone support -- great for traveling to other time zones.
* Can display month, day, and day of week, seconds, or time in alternate time zone in the digital display (but not all at the same time).
* Synchronized digital display and hands.
* Alarm, stopwatch, and timer features.

Cons:
* Stainless steel band is very stiff. I had to remove four links because my wrist is pretty skinny. With the links removed, the band does not do a good job of fitting my wrist. It just barely works for me.
* Body is plastic, not stainless steel as it appears. The bezel is plastic.
* The digital display will not show the day of the month and the day of week at the same time. Apparently, because there is no second hand, the designers decided that all the time display modes (except alternate time zone) must include the seconds. You can get both pieces of information, but not at the same time. I would happily give up the seconds to get the day of the month and the day of the week on the same display, but that is not an option.
0Comment| 63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 11, 2017
Truly waterproof, nice design, accurate, tons of features.

The only gripe I have is that the actual case of the watch (the thing that the watch face sits in), is plastic or some kind of resin. It looks like metal in the pictures but once you get it you can easily tell that it's plastic painted a metallic color. This doesn't detract from the performance of the watch, or from the feel of the watch on the wrist, just that you know it's plastic.

The watch itself is super light, the band is really the only thing that adds any weight to the thing.

Overall a great watch for the money, but shame that the case is plastic.
on July 28, 2017
I bought this to use as an inexpensive "everyday" watch and to use when traveling, and have been quite pleased. It has an incredible number of features for the price. For example, it gives the current time in 48 world cities--useful for me as an Amateur Radio Operator even when I'm not traveling. Not surprisingly, until you set your local time zone, the default zone is Tokyo! Although the case is plastic, the case back and band are stainless steel and it seems to be quite rugged. I also like the fact that it is solar powered. I've had a similar Casio previously that used replaceable batteries, and they must have been awfully hard to replace, because when the first one wore out I couldn't find anybody who would replace it! The only drawback is that it is so complicated, and has so many features, that I had to study the manual for a few days. But once I got the "hang of it," the features are really pretty intuitive.