Salon Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Ultimate Hits by Garth Brooks Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on September 19, 2011
I have had this watch for three days now and I really like it. To my surprise, it was extremely light, especially when I compare it with my other Casio watches. For me it has all the options that I need (Solar powered, Month, day, year, stopwatch, countdown timer, world time, 5 alarms, and 100m water resistant).

This watch works for me for four reasons A) It has analog and digital display. B) It is solar powered. C) It has a stainless steal band. D) It is not expensive.

I think it is a smart investment (I do not have to worry about buying batteries ever again, or worry about the watch not being water resistant after the battery has been replaced). With all these options, and price, I think Casio found a market niche.

Extra information: Goes 10 months when fully charged without further light exposure (as per the catalog - again, I've only had it for three days). I think the window is plastic, but it does not scratch easily - no scratches so far at least.
on December 30, 2011
I have had this watch for about a month. It is an incredible value at the price, with a great feature set. I only give it four stars because the band is so stiff that it is a little uncomfortable. Also, it's not obvious, but the body of the watch is plastic, even though it looks like stainless steel. It took me over a month to realize that it was not stainless steel.

The features include:

* Analog/digital display with hour and minute hands, but no second hand.
* Light-powered. It's a little bit of an exaggeration for Casio to say that the watch never needs batteries. The watch has a rechargeable battery that is charged by light. However, the rechargeable battery should last a good long time, so that you don't have to change the battery every two or three years.
* Digital display can be lit with the light button.
* Luminescent hands. They will glow for several hours after a good charge. I can read the time in the dark for at least seven hours after a good charge from a bright light.
* Time zone aware. When you set up the watch, you choose your time zone and whether daylight saving time is in effect or not. The watch can then calculate the current UTC time. You can then switch to any other time zone and the time changes automatically.
* Dual time zones. You set the home time zone and an alternate time zone. You can display the time in the alternate time zone in the digital display. If you are traveling, you can switch the alternate and home time zones, then switch back when you return home. Choose from among 48 cities in 31 time zones.
* The analog and digital displays are synchronized. When you change the digital time, the hands move to match the new time.
* The position of the hands relative to the digital time can be tweaked if they do not match exactly.
* Power-saving modes that save battery power. Most notable is that the digital display shuts down if it is dark for more than about 70 minutes between the hours of 11 pm and 6 am. The display comes back on when light is detected or a button is pressed.
* Five alarms.
* Optional hourly chime.
* Stopwatch.
* Two countdown timers.
* Four main options for the digital display: (1) month, date, and seconds, (2) day, day of week, and seconds, (3) hour, minute, and seconds, (4) hour and minute in alternate time zone.

Pros:
* Light-powered. Probably won't need a new rechargeable battery during its useful life.
* Both lighted display and luminescent hands for operation in the dark.
* Alternate time zone support -- great for traveling to other time zones.
* Can display month, day, and day of week, seconds, or time in alternate time zone in the digital display (but not all at the same time).
* Synchronized digital display and hands.
* Alarm, stopwatch, and timer features.

Cons:
* Stainless steel band is very stiff. I had to remove four links because my wrist is pretty skinny. With the links removed, the band does not do a good job of fitting my wrist. It just barely works for me.
* Body is plastic, not stainless steel as it appears. The bezel is plastic.
* The digital display will not show the day of the month and the day of week at the same time. Apparently, because there is no second hand, the designers decided that all the time display modes (except alternate time zone) must include the seconds. You can get both pieces of information, but not at the same time. I would happily give up the seconds to get the day of the month and the day of the week on the same display, but that is not an option.
on May 13, 2014
Very impressed with this watch. Would have easily paid more for it. The solar feature is awesome. It's a large watch, not as big as most of the G-Shock watches so it fits nicely even on smaller wrists. It kind of looks like a G-Shock, too. Overall, very satisfied with the look and quality.
on March 16, 2015
This watch hits the top so far as the value/price ratio. The face is easily readable, with luminous hour and minute markers, but the subdued, matte black surfaces on the rest of the face keep it from shouting, "Look, it's a dive watch!" It is full-sized, but quite light, which suits me fine--big, readable face but not annoying to wear. The only catch to be aware of is that it has no second hand; the seconds will appear in the digital display with the proper settings. Lots of instructions in the little booklet that accompanies the watch, which are generally very clear and helpful--it has a lot of functions. It took only an hour in the sun to hit a "Hi" battery charge, and has stayed there since in normal wear. I like that when I walk into the movie theater, I can still read the watch easily at a glance from the luminous hands for several minutes (it has the usual illumination by pushing a button also.) It's a keeper.
on June 16, 2014
This watch looks great and like the other review states looks a little like a gshock, i really like the Matte black finish
for around $40.00 this is a steal for solar watch (if you don't want to drop $100.00 or more) i also like the fact i can abuse this without concerns of an expensive watch.

Pros:
nice looking face (i like the gray hours and black finish, you will be hard pressed to find another similar watch in this price range)
Lightweight / waterproof
solar powered with charge meter
has 5 alarms / stop watch / date or day can be displayed on small lcd

cons:
no seconds had (has digital seconds though)
light only lights up lcd
feels mildly cheap, but that is relative
I Recommend this for anyone on a budget looking for a solar Casio similar to g shock that looks military
on May 8, 2015
The AQ-S810W is a good looking Analog watch, this version with grey markings imo looks more adult/refined compared to the white version. The white version appears to glows in the dark better though. I am skinnier so this watch fit my wrist better than larger models.

So far it has survived:
-Fixing a couple of broken running sprinklers
-A weeks’ worth of baby baths being fully to partially submerged

Compared to the GA100-1A1:
-Not a G-Shock, I'll have to wait and see how long it last
-Slightly smaller making it perfect for daily use; doesn't bang on keyboard and dig into baby while holding said baby
-Noticeably lighter

Father, Husband, IT Guy

14 month update: Still works, and it has been through camping, hiking, swimming, landscaping, several long meetings, and several more poopy diapers. My everyday watch, even with slacks.

30 month update:
Needed a $10 replacement band. Also developed a noticeable scratch on surface during the last year.
review image review image review image review image
22 comments| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 18, 2014
I purchased this watch hoping for it to last a long time with solar power and a metal band. Sadly, the case turns out to be a piece of junk made of cheap plastic that lasted a total of 4 months before it broke - and it did not have hard use. As for the good, it keeps time very well and I love the time zone and daylight saving time features;. It has many other features, such as a stop watch that I do not care about, but are there if you want them. Because of the cheap plastic case, I cannot recommend this watch. Even worse is the case is specifically excluded from the warranty - Casio must have known they were selling junk. The only reason I gave it 2 stars is I was able to repair the case with super glue and it has lasted 2 days so far. But we shall see if the super glued part goes before another part of the case. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS PRODUCT!
UPDATE on 10/3/14: I contacted Casio customer service to give them a change to replace or repair this defective watch. They refused saying because I used super glue as a temporary fix, they would not cover repair of the watch case. With this very poor customer service, I will boycott Casio products in the future.
on October 16, 2017
I have this watch and purchased another for a friend. While not perfect, it is a great value and nothing similar is available at this price point. I didn't want a digital watch or plastic watch, but the digital feature ads functionality.

To me there are several major pros of this watch:

1. Solar. I got really tired of replacing batteries. Over the years, the costs has really added up on my last watch, plus it is always a bit of a hassle to track down a sotre that has the right battery, so solar means no more replacing batteries.

2. Time zones. I travel internationally, so being able to set to time zones without having to do it totally manually is nice, though the interface is still a little annoying. (If you have the money, you can get a watch that automatically resets when you arrive in a new time zone.)

3. Date. Lots of watches have the date, but it is a must-have feature for me.

4. Metal band. I had a leather band before, but those wear out and need to be replaced fairly often, so metal band means I won't have to do that as often.

5. Glow-in-the-dark + light mean it is possible to check the time in the dark.

A few things I don't love:

1. No second hand. There is a second digital display, but I don't really like it.

2. The style. It's okay, but not great in my opinion.

3. The controls for all of the features require pushing the buttons to go through menus and isn't super-intuitive.

Overall, I feel that I made the right choice buying this watch. I like features that it has. It is comfortable and the style suits me fairly well. I love it because of the price. Basically, unless you want less features or to spend more, this watch is the only game in town.
on May 15, 2016
I liked this watch in general. The instructions could have been better, though. There was no mention of how to adjust the length of the band, and it would be helpful if that were included. The band is plenty long as received for most anyone, and gross adjustments are made by removing links.

You need a small jeweler's flat bladed screwdriver or a sharp pointed pick. Open the band for easy access to the underside. Always pick the link closest to the latch to begin, because they are all equal length. In other words, do not choose links near the watch itself for removal.

You will see a small oval hole on one end of the link. Place your sharp tool in the hole and pry outwards. You should see a "U" shaped piece begin to project out of the side of the link. With enough force, you will should be able to move the piece sideways far enough to see a small hole that that you can get your tool point into and pull on the piece until it comes completely out. It is shaped almost like a large staple, and is whst keeps the links together. A pair of flat nosed pointed pliers may be helpful in pulling the link out, and also completely installing the staple back into the band.

I have small wrists and needed to remove four links to make mine fit. You can also make small adjustments using a pointed pick. One the release plate, you will find four pairs holes and a spring loaded pin in one pair. You can push the pin to collapse one end and change which pair of holes the pin is in.
on July 28, 2017
I bought this to use as an inexpensive "everyday" watch and to use when traveling, and have been quite pleased. It has an incredible number of features for the price. For example, it gives the current time in 48 world cities--useful for me as an Amateur Radio Operator even when I'm not traveling. Not surprisingly, until you set your local time zone, the default zone is Tokyo! Although the case is plastic, the case back and band are stainless steel and it seems to be quite rugged. I also like the fact that it is solar powered. I've had a similar Casio previously that used replaceable batteries, and they must have been awfully hard to replace, because when the first one wore out I couldn't find anybody who would replace it! The only drawback is that it is so complicated, and has so many features, that I had to study the manual for a few days. But once I got the "hang of it," the features are really pretty intuitive.