Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Casio Men's EFA119BK-1AV Ana-Digi Edifice Stainless Steel Watch
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now

on May 15, 2007
I bought this watch based on several of the reviews listed here. I recommend that you think of this watch as having an analog display with the capability to displaying digital information in the background. In most cases, the background digital information is hard to read unless you hit the illuminate button. This is great for me because it gives the watch a classic analog look while having all of the capabilities of a digital watch when I need it (which is relatively rare - I generally just need to know what time it is). The watch is full of features. I can confirm that the thermometer does not give accurate readings when you are wearing the watch.

As a final note, I could not find any instructions in the manual on how to adjust the band. [...] You need to follow the instructions for the "Leaf Spring Coupled Type," which is very easy once you see how it is supposed to be done.
on February 13, 2008
Love the option to have it auto-illuminate just buy tilting your watch. It's great in low-light areas or at night, especially when your on the go and don't have a free hand to push the light button. To save the battery, it automatically shuts the auto light off after 6hrs. Also love the World-Time function. Many people slammed the temperature function, but once I realized you can adjust the temperature reading, then it keeps a little more accurate reading throughout the day. Your body temperature does affect the reading, so I actually recommend wearing it for a good 1/2 hour or more for the temp to stabilize, then adjust it in accordance with the thermostat temp in the house. Seems to work for me. Overall nice looking watch and functions well.
on July 2, 2010
Got the watch today and here has been my overall impression of the watch:

Pros: Attractive looking watch good for everyday use, could wear it with casual wear and could wear it with a suit. As long as you don't touch it, it looks expensive. Not a huge face as many "tank style" watches are. I was easily able to size the band with a small flathead screwdriver and a small jeweler's hammer.

Cons: Like the other reviewers I find the display to be darker than expected and difficult to read without the backlight. The crystal seems to have an odd, white haze to it but only at certain angles which makes looking at the display even more difficult. Direct overhead halogen lights or sunlight brings the milky white haze out and makes the face difficult to read. The band feels somewhat flimsy but it is expected for a $50 watch, you get what you pay for. I compared the band to what is on my Citizen Skyhawk Eco-Drive and its painfully obvious which is the $300 watch and which is the $50 watch.

Overall: Attractive watch, good for daily bang around use. I am still concerned about the white haze on the face and have decided to return the watch. I am hoping to get a replacement and this was a defect on this particular watch.

Update 7/7/2010: Contacted Amazon, their customer service was excellent and they sent me another watch. Got the watch today noticed that the hazing was even worse on this one! It looks like the inside of the crystal is dirty and is hazed over, this is especially apparent in direct lighting. I contacted Amazon customer service again to return this unit. I really like the way the watch looks but this kind of sloppy manufacturing is inexcusable. I had given the watch 4 stars but due to this, I am giving it only one star. I have 2 Casios of my own and they have been terrific, they keep great time and reliable as any watch I have had. However, I would stay away from this particular Casio watch.
on February 24, 2007
I feel that this watch, and its rectangular brother the EFA120D1AV, are attractive, well-built, feature-filled watches, that sell for a reasonable price. I've seen several posts in which people complain about the darkness of the LCD. However, the use of a black inverse LCD is common among many manufacturers. This use of such a subtle LCD in an analog/digital watch makes the watch look much more elegant than analog/digital watches that use a bright/contrasty LCD in the background. The result is that the analog hands stand-out quite clearly from the LCD in the background, yet the information on the LCD can still be read when desired. This watch manages to present an elegant sophisticated, yet sporty look, while providing a lot of information and functionality. I'm quite pleased with my purchase and only wish it had been easier to choose between this watch and the similar EFA120D1AV.
on September 27, 2009
My Ideal Specs for a watch
Metal Band, waterproof, analog/digital faces, decent scratchproof Case, fits my fairly large hand

good:
---extremely stylish/formal (but somewhat impractical, see first reason in the bad section)

---multiple functions: thermometer, single/dual stopwatch, memory for lap time in stopwatch, alarm/countdown/world time

--- temperature measure pretty accurate, to get room temp you have to take the watch out of your hand and put it on the table, leaving it alone for 20 minutes

--- could set the watch to auto-light up when you tilt the watch to your face(pretty decent tilt-response, but light sucks, see first reason in Bad section)

bleh:
---the actual watch came in a small blue casio cardboard box, unsealed, with a stand and small manual(i uploaded pics to the pics section)

--- no second hand for analog watch... but it's already pretty cluttered, and the hands sometimes block the digital display

--- the analog hand isn't synched to the digital time, so you have to update both analog and digital manually if the time drifts. could be good if you want two times on your watch eg overseas (info: the analog minute hand 'ticks' every 20s, so there are 3*60 minute = 180 places where the minute hand can point)

bad:
--- impractical: the digital part of the watch has low viewing angle, the fluorescent light when lit doesn't change that much contrast, it looks stylish because it's all black, but it is hard to see the digital time it low light conditions.... I guess if Casio ups the contrast on the digital part, it won't look as stylish

--- band: if you have hairy hands, this isn't for you unless you want a bald spot on your hand... I have non-hairy hands, but after using this for a day, the band caught the small hairs on my hands once.

------could see some light scratches on the metal band after a day of use

band: metal, total around 22cm in circumference, can remove up to 8 links... each link is around 1cm, search for "Leaf Spring Coupled Type" to see how to resize the band (it's not difficult, I did it with a paper clip)

warranty: 1 yr warranty, manual states 2-3 years battery runtime, 100 meter water resistance

why not 5 stars: band might remove hair, bad digital contrast
why not 3 stars: cheap, stylish, good enough for me as an everyday watch
on November 3, 2006
I was searching for a watch for weeks, saw a picture of this watch and paused. Intrigued I began to read the specs: alarm, chronograph, thermometer, light, stopwatch, world-time zones and more, what's the catch? $55USD C'mon seriously with all those features is that all? I was still skeptical but when I got the watch & put it on my wrist I was sold. Solid, well crafted, unique sporty/elegant combination. My only gripe is that slight increase in body temperature can give an innacurate room temperature. We can't have the world but CASIO has come close with this price I can honestly say go for it!
on June 3, 2011
One of the best Casio watches I have owned. Technologically, this thing is awesome. Unlike other Casio watches which are large and bulky, this watch is just right, despite the numerous functions it contains, World time, 2- step stopwatch timer, Alarm, dual time alarm, hourly signal, auto lighting, thermometer, are just some of the unique features of this watch. It feels well built and sturdy, the metal band does not feel cheap.
The display - digital is not that bright, which is my only complaint however one gets used to it. You will need to calibrate the thermometer in order for it to work properly, instruction manual is detailed and well written.
I love this watch.
on September 16, 2015
really appealing watch overall. As how many of other reviews have stated, this watch seems good in professional as well as casual attire. I mainly got it due that it had both analog and digital capabilities and being non plastic/rubber. The digital background isn't so pronounced, really only visible at certain angles which is perfect in giving the watch a more analog appearance. Also, in my experience I hardly really need to put any effort to see the back light data, and only really purposely look at in the case if wonder the current date, seconds, or if I'm setting an alarm/stopwatch/countdown.

This watch does not have a physical hand which at first I really didn't like, but the watch makes up for this by having the time in Hour:minute:second format in the lower portion of the watch. Also, the left half 6-12 region, has a digital type of second hand.

The watch to me feels pretty sleek, as well sporty but professional at the same time if that makes any sense. The watch doesn't carry so much weight in that after a couple of hours you might forget your wearing it, but isn't super light. Its in the a comfortable medium, and the bracelet and watch backing doesnt really pull your hairs, and as you see in the picture, I have a good amount.

I haven't had any problem with the crystal having a haze type of effect like another review stated, but as also stated in that same review this could been due to product defect. Ive had the watch for approximately 15 days and have been constantly wearing and having my fair chair of slamming my arm against tables, walls, and other objects (not in heavy or rough manner, something that you'll experience in office/school/home setting) and yet have found a scratch on the lens.

Be aware that at first it will take some time for you to set it up and to get use to some of the settings/modes.
on May 16, 2007
Pros:

- Excellent looks. Same as displayed in product image.

- Great value buy

- Temperature Calibration provided.

- Good features like stop watch, auto light while tilting watch at 40*, indiglo light.

Cons:

- Manual doesn't specify how to change size of strap.

- No backward movement for analog hands. So if did mistake in adjusting will have to again come back after traversing 12 hours.

- A bit bulky.

- Steel strap quality is a bit cheap. Takes away some wrist hairs.

- Old fashioned strap buckle.
on July 4, 2014
Great watch. Purchased it many years ago from Amazon. Purchased 7 years ago-maybee longer-cant remember as it was so long ago. Has been very durable. Still functions and looks great. Still gets an occasional compliment. Still on same battery. The black face is hard to read and hands do get in the way. Also complicated settings. I still refer to manual when needing to reset DST. The temp is accurate when not on the wrist but useless when wearing- I hardly refer to this feature. I like the second countdown on left side of watch face. Overall I like this watch and would purchase again if it ever wears out. I honestly think this watch could out-live me and I plan on being around for another 40 to 50 years. Very happy with this purchase.