BCA Month Beauty altText This Week in Books Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now HTL17_gno

on September 4, 2015
This watch is a major standout in my ever-growing collection of G-Shocks. It has aura. It is Midnight.. Stealth.. Darth Vader.. all of those. It emanates darkness and oozes night down to the finest detail. Even the stainless steel clasp is darkly tinted.

SIZE CLARIFICATION
I am a male with a narrow to average size wrist. The watch band has 11 notches, and I am at notch 6 which is dead center on fit with 5 notches in each direction to either loosen or tighten.

I had been concerned prior to my purchase of a GD-X6900 that the series might be too large for my narrow to average size wrist due to the X (extra large) designation in the model number. The series is almost 10% bigger than the DW-6900 series. But I have since concluded the X designation in the model number is NOT meant to target a market of extra large wrists. Rather, it is meant to designate a fashionable extra large or big look of the watches in the series, and is relevant to fashion, not wrist size.

I had conducted an image search to help reach my conclusion and found a wide array of wrist sizes wearing the various fashion styles of the GD-X6900 series. My further research found there is a fashion trend towards larger size watches generally, a trend not expected to reverse. So I purchased this black watch and 2 other styles from the GD-X6900 series. They all arrived, and the size and fit is superb!

INSCRIPTION
on Stainless Steel Back
ST. STEEL BACK - MADE IN THAILAND - ED - WATER RESIST 20 BAR - CASIO - 3420 - GDX6900 - SHOCK RESIST - SHOCK ABSORBING STRUCTURE

INSCRIPTION
on Watchband Clasp
G-SHOCK - CASIO THAILAND

OPERATION
This watch is extremely simple to operate. It has no unnecessary thermometer or compass which, to the average person, are not worth the hassle of setting up, especially since the accuracy of those features is always in question.

I like the front button for illumination of the light. Many G-Shock models have no front button instead utilizing the upper right side button for light illumination.

Further, I like the ability to scroll both east and west through the 48 city codes this watch offers. Not all G-Shocks can scroll in both directions. Sometimes they are limited to eastward scrolling due to configuration of the module with the style. But the capability of both east and west scrolling is far less clumsy.

If you want to further check out operation, I suggest researching the online Operation Guide where you will find very clear and concise product information.

Important Tip: The times displayed in the Timekeeping Mode and World Time Mode are linked. Because of this, be sure you select a Home City (the city where you normally will use the watch) BEFORE you set the time and the date. Sometimes people do not read the Operation Guide and initially get hung up on operation not realizing this.

Incidentally, the 7-year battery in my first G-Shock lasted from 1991 to 2008, over 17 years, although I must say I am very easy on watch batteries.

DISPLAY
This watch has a negative display (light characters on a dark background) which some reviewers have argued is not so great for readability. However, a positive display (dark characters on a light background) would have TOTALLY destroyed the look of this watch. And the look is what makes it so cool, no doubt about it. Simply put, the trade-off of some readability to attain this stunning look is so worth it.

LETTERING
The lettering on the face and around the circumference of the bezel is muted, NOT a stark white as it sometimes appears in marketing photos. Actually, it looks silver except for the small highlighted word “ILLUMINATOR” and the very small numbers (10-20-30-40-50) around the circumference of the right eye which look bronze, NOT yellow.

WHAT IS ALPHA GEL?
Alpha Gel, a feature of the GD-X6900 series generally found only on much more expensive G-Shocks, is a very bouncy and effective shock absorbing silicone. It is placed on top of the case under the bezel cover, and absorbs shock much better than rubber.

CALENDAR
The watch is programmed to automatically adjust the date of the month for the varying lengths of months as well as leap years to the year 2100.

CRYSTAL
This watch has a MINERAL crystal which is one of 3 crystal types commonly used in watches. For comparison of those types, I have described each of them below:

1. Acrylic crystal is an inexpensive plastic that allows shallow scratches to be buffed out.

2. MINERAL crystal (this watch) is composed of several elements that are heat-treated to create an unusual hardness that helps resist scratches.

3. Sapphire is the most expensive and durable crystal, approximately 3 times harder than mineral crystals and 20 times harder than acrylic crystals.

PHOTOS
The 7 photos included with this review are not mine.
on October 21, 2015
What can I say? It's a G-Shock... Tried and True. I bought this to use as my EDC at work. I am not flashy and I don't like shiny watches while working that cause attention, so I went with this stealthy piece. I don't like watches that light up green, orange, or red and I am happy that this one lights up a purpleish blue color. It's perfect for every day use and I can easily access all of the features, half the time, without even looking at the buttons. It's a great watch and it will likely be on my wrist for the next few years until they make a bigger model.
review image
on March 13, 2015
The G-Shock I want to love... PERFECT size, backlight is amazingly bright, simple to program as with all the 6900's. 2 downfalls caused me to return it and stick with my G-Shock Rangeman. First, the start/stop button when in time-keeping mode does NOT start or stop your chronograph, so if in need of immediately starting timers, you need to get to the Chrono mode first. Second is purely aesthitics, black on black is great unless you need to tell time in under 3 seconds. Your eyes cannot focus on the negative space used by the numbers with the black background in less than 2 seconds. the black numbers on gray face (typically seen) is focussed by the eyes within the first second.
Enthusiast: Petson August 17, 2014
This is my first G-Shock watch, and so far I've been very pleased with it. Casio has a whole line of multi-colored and stylish watches in their catalog of G-Shock watches, so there is a great selection to choose from. I went with the solid black watch simply because I didn't want anything too flashy, and I wanted a watch that I could wear with any outfit without clashing. The watch is still very sharp in solid, glossy black, and I have received several compliments in the few weeks since I started wearing it. I chose this particular line of watches because I wanted something that was durable, waterproof, had timer and countdown functions, looked nice, and had a reputation of reliability. This watch fit all of my needs and I am quite pleased with this purchase, thus far. I would recommend this watch (or others in the G-Shock line) to others who are looking for similar qualities in a watch.
on September 23, 2016
After two years of almost daily wear this is still my favorite watch. It has been with me from disaster and catastrophe response, water parks, and to the office almost every day. I have a fairly large collection of watches but this is my every day wear and shows zero wear after two years of use.

I get asked about it frequently from other first-responders or women looking for a gift for their spouse. Some reviewers have stated that the screen is hard to read but I have never had an issue. The back-light is excellent.

This is a large watch but not to ridiculous proportions as it the trend right now, weighty not not heavy, and works with anything but a business professional or formal outfit.
on January 23, 2015
Great watch, couldn't be happier. I originally ordered two other watches, an IZOD and a Timex. Both were very uncomfortable. I decided to return them, spend a little more money, and get the GDX6900. I am sooo happy I made this decision. The watch felt a little heavy for the first 2 days (I have not worn a watch in 5 years, so this may be the reason), but I don't even notice it on my wrist now.

Some reviewers have commented that the numbers are hard to read. They are slightly harder to read because of the reverse display, but this is the trade-off for a "stealthy", dark-faced watch. There is another GDX6900 model with a normal display (light background and dark numbers), but I personally like the look of the reverse display much better. For me, the numbers are not that hard to read, and the back lit illumination is fantastic.

The black is not too shiny, as some reviewers have commented. I thought it might be too reflective (ala Vader), but I do not think this is the case. The watch settings take some time, but this is necessary with a watch that has so many powerful settings and modes, and I haven't had too much trouble with this. Overall, I would not change a thing and would happily purchase it again!
on January 24, 2017
This thing takes a licking & keeps on ticking! I am a Mason bricklayer & have owned this watch for over a year now & haven't had any issues at all with this watch. It does what I need it to do & when I get mortar, paint, mud, or whatever on it, I just wash my hands with it on (& sometimes take an old tooth brush to it) & it's good as new! Have even taken hot showers with it on on extra rough days & it's still going strong. Hopefully I'm not jinxing it by writing this review, but honestly, for the price, this watch is totally worth it. Seemed a little bigger than what I was accustomed to at first, but not anymore. Looking forward to upgrading to a solar model in the future, but might be a while as this one doesn't seem to be feeling the effects of my line of work yet!!
on January 2, 2017
I have many watches from high end watches to run of the mill going out watches. This watch was for my clumsy work day and sport days so I don't have to constantly look at my phone to see what time it is. I was afraid it would be too heavy or bulky but for some reason, this is one of the most comfortable watches I have ever owned. Sometimes I forgot I am wearing a watch, unlike my more expensive watches. I really like the look and simplicity yet modern look. I'm very happy with it!
on March 23, 2016
So far great, I've had G-Shocks for years, for diving and just plan good working watch. Had to get another one to replace my Eco G-
Shock that doesn't charge well now that I am in Washington wearing coats and long sleeve shirts. Only problem I have is the watch band, they normally last 2 years but after that they have to replaced every year.
on March 4, 2015
Amazing watch the 6900 G-shocks are classics and this redesign is awesome slightly bigger than a regular 6900, 10 year battery life, auto light feature and a comfortable band what's not to love. This watch is perfect for everyday use and many people will comment on the design I do currently have around 10 or so G-shocks and this is one my favorites.