Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Limited time offer Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning DrWho DrWho DrWho  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Color: Black/Black|Change

Showing 1-10 of 102 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 109 reviews
on July 11, 2014
It's a Casio G-Shock... is there something else to say? Okay, here you have few tips... after reading the reviews, I noticed that some people claimed that it was hard to read the screen because it's dark. They need to change their prescription glasses. Someone else claimed that it wasn't as big as he thought it would be. Well, I guess that the guy was expecting to receive the Big Ben shipped directly from London. I am 6'1" / 210 pounds, so I am relatively big, and this watch represents me well for my size. Additionally, as a deep diver, I'm used to go to depths where most divers don't dare to go. Although I have a dive computer, I take my watch as a backup to those depths and it performs without a hint of trouble. The watch is great, period!
on January 13, 2017
Stop wasting time on the reviews , pull the trigger Awesome watch for the Money , INK up!!!!!
review image
on March 28, 2017
As expected, it's a Casio.
on September 4, 2015
This watch is a major standout in my ever-growing collection of G-Shocks. It has aura. It is Midnight.. Stealth.. Darth Vader.. all of those. It emanates darkness and oozes night down to the finest detail. Even the stainless steel clasp is darkly tinted.

SIZE CLARIFICATION
I am a male with a narrow to average size wrist. The watch band has 11 notches, and I am at notch 6 which is dead center on fit with 5 notches in each direction to either loosen or tighten.

I had been concerned prior to my purchase of a GD-X6900 that the series might be too large for my narrow to average size wrist due to the X (extra large) designation in the model number. The series is almost 10% bigger than the DW-6900 series. But I have since concluded the X designation in the model number is NOT meant to target a market of extra large wrists. Rather, it is meant to designate a fashionable extra large or big look of the watches in the series, and is relevant to fashion, not wrist size.

I had conducted an image search to help reach my conclusion and found a wide array of wrist sizes wearing the various fashion styles of the GD-X6900 series. My further research found there is a fashion trend towards larger size watches generally, a trend not expected to reverse. So I purchased this black watch and 2 other styles from the GD-X6900 series. They all arrived, and the size and fit is superb!

INSCRIPTION
on Stainless Steel Back
ST. STEEL BACK - MADE IN THAILAND - ED - WATER RESIST 20 BAR - CASIO - 3420 - GDX6900 - SHOCK RESIST - SHOCK ABSORBING STRUCTURE

INSCRIPTION
on Watchband Clasp
G-SHOCK - CASIO THAILAND

OPERATION
This watch is extremely simple to operate. It has no unnecessary thermometer or compass which, to the average person, are not worth the hassle of setting up, especially since the accuracy of those features is always in question.

I like the front button for illumination of the light. Many G-Shock models have no front button instead utilizing the upper right side button for light illumination.

Further, I like the ability to scroll both east and west through the 48 city codes this watch offers. Not all G-Shocks can scroll in both directions. Sometimes they are limited to eastward scrolling due to configuration of the module with the style. But the capability of both east and west scrolling is far less clumsy.

If you want to further check out operation, I suggest researching the online Operation Guide where you will find very clear and concise product information.

Important Tip: The times displayed in the Timekeeping Mode and World Time Mode are linked. Because of this, be sure you select a Home City (the city where you normally will use the watch) BEFORE you set the time and the date. Sometimes people do not read the Operation Guide and initially get hung up on operation not realizing this.

Incidentally, the 7-year battery in my first G-Shock lasted from 1991 to 2008, over 17 years, although I must say I am very easy on watch batteries.

DISPLAY
This watch has a negative display (light characters on a dark background) which some reviewers have argued is not so great for readability. However, a positive display (dark characters on a light background) would have TOTALLY destroyed the look of this watch. And the look is what makes it so cool, no doubt about it. Simply put, the trade-off of some readability to attain this stunning look is so worth it.

LETTERING
The lettering on the face and around the circumference of the bezel is muted, NOT a stark white as it sometimes appears in marketing photos. Actually, it looks silver except for the small highlighted word “ILLUMINATOR” and the very small numbers (10-20-30-40-50) around the circumference of the right eye which look bronze, NOT yellow.

WHAT IS ALPHA GEL?
Alpha Gel, a feature of the GD-X6900 series generally found only on much more expensive G-Shocks, is a very bouncy and effective shock absorbing silicone. It is placed on top of the case under the bezel cover, and absorbs shock much better than rubber.

CALENDAR
The watch is programmed to automatically adjust the date of the month for the varying lengths of months as well as leap years to the year 2100.

CRYSTAL
This watch has a MINERAL crystal which is one of 3 crystal types commonly used in watches. For comparison of those types, I have described each of them below:

1. Acrylic crystal is an inexpensive plastic that allows shallow scratches to be buffed out.

2. MINERAL crystal (this watch) is composed of several elements that are heat-treated to create an unusual hardness that helps resist scratches.

3. Sapphire is the most expensive and durable crystal, approximately 3 times harder than mineral crystals and 20 times harder than acrylic crystals.

PHOTOS
The 7 photos included with this review are not mine.
on October 26, 2015
Husband loves it.
on October 21, 2015
What can I say? It's a G-Shock... Tried and True. I bought this to use as my EDC at work. I am not flashy and I don't like shiny watches while working that cause attention, so I went with this stealthy piece. I don't like watches that light up green, orange, or red and I am happy that this one lights up a purpleish blue color. It's perfect for every day use and I can easily access all of the features, half the time, without even looking at the buttons. It's a great watch and it will likely be on my wrist for the next few years until they make a bigger model.
review image
on December 25, 2013
I sometimes thought the DW/GW6900's were a little on the small side, not so much with this GD-X6900. It's in Suunto Vector size territory!
The negative display takes a little getting used to, but I have been able to read the display...most of the time. I'd rather it had a positive display but hey, it works and looks cool at the same time.
To me the GD-X has a "semi-gloss" finish to the case and band. Maybe just a bit more shine than my GW6900. Not bad at all but, I'd prefer a more matte finish like on my older DW6900. But like I said before, it works.
Definitely comfortable on the wrist, it's a keeper for sure.

Update:
After living with this watch for awhile, I'm raising my review to 5 Stars. I've grown to really love this watch, it never leaves my wrist!
on August 17, 2014
This is my first G-Shock watch, and so far I've been very pleased with it. Casio has a whole line of multi-colored and stylish watches in their catalog of G-Shock watches, so there is a great selection to choose from. I went with the solid black watch simply because I didn't want anything too flashy, and I wanted a watch that I could wear with any outfit without clashing. The watch is still very sharp in solid, glossy black, and I have received several compliments in the few weeks since I started wearing it. I chose this particular line of watches because I wanted something that was durable, waterproof, had timer and countdown functions, looked nice, and had a reputation of reliability. This watch fit all of my needs and I am quite pleased with this purchase, thus far. I would recommend this watch (or others in the G-Shock line) to others who are looking for similar qualities in a watch.
on September 23, 2016
After two years of almost daily wear this is still my favorite watch. It has been with me from disaster and catastrophe response, water parks, and to the office almost every day. I have a fairly large collection of watches but this is my every day wear and shows zero wear after two years of use.

I get asked about it frequently from other first-responders or women looking for a gift for their spouse. Some reviewers have stated that the screen is hard to read but I have never had an issue. The back-light is excellent.

This is a large watch but not to ridiculous proportions as it the trend right now, weighty not not heavy, and works with anything but a business professional or formal outfit.
on November 13, 2014
This is an excellent sized G-Shock. I'm 6'2", 280 lbs and my wrist is about 9 inches in circumference; this G-Shock doesn't look big on me at all. It's build is standard G-Shock quality = super solid and extremely durable. The display is very dark and next to impossible to read in a dark room, but in daylight and under standard room lighting, it's just fine. The "Super Illuminator" lights up the entire display, making it easily readable even in total darkness.

I got my first G-Shock in 1991 - during deployment at Operation Desert Storm - it ran for 14 years on the same battery. If I can get only half that out of this one, I'll be happy. So far, I'm more than pleased with it.