Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning MeBeforeYou MeBeforeYou MeBeforeYou  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 559 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 621 reviews
on September 13, 2015
This watch is based on the original DW-6900 model, G-Shock's best-selling case design. However, unlike the DW-6900, it is solar powered with multi-band 6 atomic timekeeping.

I bought this watch for its great all around functionality and durability. You just cannot beat it for the price. With that being said, and if price is not so much of a concern to you, and you want a thicker watch with some additional features such as a thermometer and a compass, you might want to look at the G-Shock Mudman models. However, while all Mudmans are solar powered, not all of them feature multi-band 6 atomic timekeeping like this one.

SOLAR BATTERY CHARGE
Do not get frustrated if at first you receive this watch and the Battery Power Indicator will not go to high while indoors and exposed to light. That is what happened to me the first 2 or 3 days trying to raise the charge from medium to high near an indoor window. My advice is to keep a positive attitude about it. There is nothing wrong with the solar battery. Simply get the watch into outdoor sunlight for a few hours. I finally wisened up and did that on the third day, and the Battery Power Indicator went to high. That was 34 days ago, and it has been on high ever since.

OPERATION
This watch is extremely simple to operate. It has no unnecessary thermometer or compass which, to the average person, are not worth the hassle of setting up, especially since the accuracy of those features is always in question.

I like the front button for illumination of the light. Many G-Shock models have no front button instead utilizing the upper right side button for light illumination.

Further, I like the ability to scroll both east and west through the 48 city codes this watch offers. Not all G-Shocks can scroll in both directions. Sometimes they are limited to eastward scrolling due to configuration of the module with the style. But the capability of both east and west scrolling is far less clumsy.

If you want to further check out operation, I suggest researching the online Operation Guide where you will find very clear and concise product information.

Important Tip: The times displayed in the Timekeeping Mode and World Time Mode are linked. Because of this, be sure you select a Home City (the city where you normally will use the watch) BEFORE you set the time and the date. Sometimes people do not read the Operation Guide and initially get hung up on operation not realizing this.

INSCRIPTION
on Stainless Steel Back
ST. STEEL BACK - MADE IN THAILAND - Y - WATER RESIST 20 BAR - CASIO - 3179 - GW-6900 - SHOCK RESIST - SHOCK ABSORBING STRUCTURE

Also on the stainless steel back is an alphanumeric inscription or stamp which I believe to be a serial number.

INSCRIPTION
on Watchband Clasp
CASIO THAILAND

CALENDAR
The watch is programmed to automatically adjust the date of the month for the varying lengths of months as well as leap years to the year 2099.

CRYSTAL
This watch has a MINERAL crystal which is one of 3 crystal types commonly used in watches. For comparison of those types, I have described each of them below:

1. Acrylic crystal is an inexpensive plastic that allows shallow scratches to be buffed out.

2. MINERAL crystal (this watch) is composed of several elements that are heat-treated to create an unusual hardness that helps resist scratches.

3. Sapphire is the most expensive and durable crystal, approximately 3 times harder than mineral crystals and 20 times harder than acrylic crystals.

PHOTOS
The 5 photos included with this review are not mine.
review image review image review image review image review image
on October 10, 2016
I had originally bought the AWGM100-1ACR because I usually prefer an analog watch to a digital. However I was disappointed that the face was smaller then any of my dress Seikos and it was quite difficult to read the time in dim lighting. I returned that and ordered The GW6900-1 Tough Solar even though I was a little nervous it might end up being too big. The outside diameter of the GW is large but not huge, in fact I'd say it's just right. The digital face is readable at a glance and it's dead-on accurate. In fact I have 3 atomic clocks in my house and once they receive the signal from the atomic clock in Fort Collins, Col., they all run in perfect unison. This Casio is no different.(I might add that I live on eastern Long Island, almost on the outskirts of that radio signal and it still has no problem syncing.) The only caution is if you are an extra big man, the circumference of the band could be an issue. I myself have 7 1/2" wrists and the band is fine. If your wrists are over 8" you may want to get a watch with a bigger band. My only concern is how long will the band last? I've had the very cheap department store G shocks in the past, and though the watches were really good the bands always broke either right at the buckle or just where the band joins the watch. This band seems to be much thicker so time will tell.
on October 23, 2014
I LOVE/HAVE LOVED this watch for a long time. I have owned two prior to this one with the exact same look/face (basically the same "model"). While those watches took a beating and always came back for more, the batteries eventually died and needed to be replaced (typically around the 4-5 year mark while using the backlight and stopwatch feature throughout the day, every day) and therein lies the problem. Once the case is opened (even if it's being repaired by a Casio/G-Shock dealer), the pressurized seal is broken and can't be re-pressurized/re-sealed unless it's sent back to Casio for repair. So, I'd get my battery replaced and off I go back into the world. The problem is that, after the battery replacement, when the watch was briefly submerged or even used in the shower, the display became foggy underneath the glass. No worries, a day or so setting it in the sun always dried it out. Welp, the last time it was submerged (again, during some play time in the river), it finally gave up and died and never came back which sucks. It was at this point that I determined that while I will definitely still stick with a G-Shock, I was going solar next time which is how I arrived at this watch. No need to ever open it up to change the battery because it's constantly being charged. Anyway, I've only had the watch less than 24 hours but I love it...same great look (although more of a matte black finish which I much more prefer over my previous shiny black watches), atomic timekeeping which is AWESOME, plenty of alarms (which is an updated feature for me) and a metal clasp on the rubber bracelet (again, an upgrade for me). Since I only got it last night, it has spent the morning outside in the sun soaking up rays and powering it up on juice. I've been without my "bum around/workout" watch for a while now, so I'm so happy to have it back! :)
on August 18, 2015
For the most part, it's rare that I ever rate anything 5/5, but this watch deserves it. In my opinion, it's one of the more unattractive G-Shocks, but it's been growing on me the more I look at it. As with most watches, it definitely looks better in person than what the product picture suggests. This product fits me better than any of the 9 watches in my collection, which includes 2 other G-Shocks. Before purchasing this, I was in the market for an EDC watch with a certain feature set, and this fit the bill almost perfectly. Said features include local time, world time(UTC), alarm, stopwatch, timer, 200m/20bar water resistance, solar charging, and atomic timekeeping, which receives a signal after midnight, everyday. To my understanding, this watch and other G-Shocks with solar cells, are capable of 'sleep mode' which turns the LCD off when the watch has remained in the darkness for a set period of time, untouched, and turns back on instantly when picked up. So far, the only feature wish that this watch had is a digital compass. The Rangeman has most, if not all of the features I mentioned before, plus a digital compass, however, it's about $100-120 more than the GW6900.
review image review image
on October 11, 2014
I will begin by telling you what I like in a watch. Atomic time, Second counting Eye or some other way to show the seconds ticking other then the normal way you see the numbers increase, Auto EL, NOT a thick or too big of a watch, Dual Time and the display of the time can't be too small. These are the things that I look for in a watch.

The watch was not on High charge when I got it. I left it out every now and then for about an hour or two for a few days and it went to High. IT WILL GO TO HIGH. It never left High since. Just don't think about it and just ware it.

The "RCVD" could be a lot bigger to read but it is not a game changer for me since it receives the signal every night on my wrist. I live on Long Island NY. I keep it on my wrist for two reasons. I have trouble sleeping at night (drinking too much water at night) and when the watch receives the signal than I know that I was sleeping well and wasn't moving my wrist around. The second reason is I love radios and it's great knowing that I can DX while I'm sleeping. Also, makes me feel closer to a relative who lives in Colorado.

Dual Time displays on the same screen.

I hope this helps some of you out there that are thinking about this watch. Price and shipping was great also.
Thanks.
on April 6, 2011
So, here goes. I have about 20 analog watches. Some are automatic, some kinetic, some solar. Finally realized why I don't wear them. I don't want to damage them, considering I paid well over two hundred bucks apiece for them. I am transplanted white collar to blue collar worker, and I would have to say that this by far is the most durable, easiest to set, and easiest to use watch I have ever owned.

First off, shipping was amazing. I had super saver shipping, free cause I am a cheapskate, and this took all of 3 days to get to me. Placed order on thursday night, about 2 am, had watch in hand on Saturday morning. It came packaged very well, bubble wrap in a huge steel case. The manual was about an inch thick, and the size of three stamps, so I pitched it to the side and gave it a whirl.

The display was blank, so I pushed a button, and wala. I had display. I then set it to my time zone, strapped it to the fence, and it was charged and ready to go.

It has an instant light feature, but you wouldnt believe how many times a day that little light comes on, so I don't use it. The several alarms are great, loud enough to wake me up, but not alarm clock buzzer loud, which wakes up my whole house.

There is no second guessing what time it is, just a one second glance, and you have it. I have smacked this watch around, stepped on it, dropped it, left it outside in two days of rain, and not a scratch on it.

The price was terrific, I saved more than fif tee bucks on it, amazon had it for atey fife after taxes and all, even wally world it was in excess of wunhun dred tirty befor taxes.

I am extremly pleased with this watch, I had ordered the simpler model of this without the atomic and solar feature, but changed my mind just in time to get this. I never have to set it nor change the battery. Well worth the extra few bucks to get this model.

The last thing I can say, two things. This is a LARGE watch. The band has a great design, where it sits in such a way that you dont get stinky watch, air seems to get through very well. Also, the word G shock at the top is not so bright as the photo, it is more of a gray color, which seems to blend in.

My advice is to buy it, strap it on, and get used to it. I have not gone a day without wearing it and I love it.

""""""@@@@@@update many years later...it is 2015, and this is still going strong. No problems, works great
review image
on September 26, 2015
This is about as perfect a watch as you can get for actually doing watch is technically supposed to be. It is not too big or heavy. It syncs every night at 12:04 and it is very light and comfortable.
I tend to like analog watched better and have some very good Swiss/ Japanese models. BUT, if I had to take one watch on an expedition to the ends of the earth this would be it. The other g shocks I have are good but many are too big or have functions I really don't need " like temperature" I find that truly silly. I do recommend stealthing the watch "look online" it makes it look better to me. You can't go wrong with this model.
review image
on January 31, 2017
Purchased this watch brand new from Amazon in 2011. It is now 2017 and I'm wearing this watch right now. The solar charging has always worked flawlessly and I've never had any issues when it comes to syncing with one of the atomic clock signals it's compatible with. Other than that, it's your typical G-Shock. Tough, impervious to normal wear and tear and completely dependable. Even after all these years the rubber outer case and strap are still intact (but maybe a little battered) which is impressive given the fact that it's been worn almost daily. Frankly, for the money, this is the best G-Shock you can buy. If you're on the fence, don't be. Just get it.
on April 22, 2017
I've had this watch for almost a month now. The convenience of the solar power coupled with radio controlled time keeping makes it virtually worry free.

Looks - I'm over six feet tall, but not very large for my height. This watch fits fine and has a subtle and understated look. I teach high school students, who notice most things, and maybe one student has commented on the new watch. It works with anything I wear for work typically, although I plan to wear a stainless watch when I have to dress up in a suit. Not flashy, but certainly not ugly.

Features - for the price, features are excellent and reasonably simple to use. Multiple alarms, including one "snoozable" alarm, radio time keeping which is updated nightly, solar charged battery, stopwatch precise to hundredths, countdown time, secondary time zone, for when traveling. It's also got a day of the week and month/date display as well. 200 m water resistance, shock resistance, and a backlight display round out the watch's main features.

Experience - extremely positive! The watch has updated the time every night through the radio. It keeps a record of when it was last updated so you can check. The dollar battery indicator was on "mid" when I received it, and stayed that way for a couple of weeks. After a day of yard work and watching a soccer game in the sun it moved to high level charge, where it's been ever since.

Summary - excellent, worry free watch. Keeps accurate time, date, and month with a few other features. Would purchase again and recommend to a friend.
on October 12, 2012
I had an original DW-6900 purchased over a decade ago. It was tough and lasted a long time, but mostly sat in a drawer because I didn't think it had a good functionality to size ratio. The "three eyes" design of the original used a lot of real estate on the dial for the purpose of graphically counting seconds; something already done by the seconds portion of the readout. For the tradeoff of bigger size, the original DW-6900 still only had the basic functions.

When I saw this updated GW-6900, I was drawn as before to the aesthetics - I've heard many people say that this is the most popular G-Shock form factor of all time, and I suppose it works its charm on me as well. But the difference here is this one is updated for the new millenium. Has the same great looks but much improved functionality.

Above and beyond the original DW-6900, this one is solar charged, synchable with 6 atomic radio signals (vice 5 that many other multi-band watches are equipped to hear), has a very well thought-out world time/GMT function, auto illuminator, and multiple alarms. But best of all - those previously useless "eyes" now have real functions. And good ones too; they show either power reserve or the status of various watch functions.

The left eye is related to power levels:

Power save [on/off]
Different levels of charge [high/mid/low/charge]

The middle eye is related to watch functions:

Auto Illuminator [on/off]
Beep on button push [on/off]
At least one alarm is set [on/off]
Snooze alarm set [on/off]
Some function related to the atomic time radio signal that I haven't read about yet

The right eye continues on in its semi-redundant role as a graphical seconds counter, but it amps up to subseconds when used with the stopwatch.

Another great improvement over the DW-6900, and over some other auto illuminator models, is how the illuminaton works. First of all, you can set the illumination to stay on for either 1 or 3 seconds. Nice. Also, you can also stick it in auto illuminator mode, which turns on the lume when you put your wrist horizontally in front of your face, then rotate your wrist toward your eyes so you can see the dial.

The improved functionality of this auto illuminator implementation is that it can stay on all the time (vice being automatically shut off over 8 hours as with some other models), but here's the good part - it won't turn on the light when you're in a bright area. It's a "set and forget" feature, which in real life operation, tends to work just like the lume on an analog watch: it's there when you need it and not there when you don't. And it won't waste power. Pretty sweet.

This is the only radio-controlled watch I've owned that has managed to sync on the first night. I put it in a westward-facing windowsill between the blinds and glass, with the dial facing down and 12 o'clock side facing west. I was pleasantly surprised to see that it synched on the first try, right around midnight. For best results, find a window that is facing Ft Collins, CO.

Overall I'd say this is the most refined and useful G-Shock I've had yet. Seems like Casio has been listening to what the customer wants. The only improvement I'd ask for is a better lap timer on the stopwatch. This is where the Timex Ironman models really shine; I'd like to see the ability to count laps and review lap times on a G-Shock.

This watch is an engineering marvel. Excellent value for Amazon's price of $88.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.