YED Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Subscribe & Save nav_sap_shop_all_hm_cal Shop now Shop Popular Services SneakyPete SneakyPete SneakyPete  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now NYNN

Showing 1-10 of 531 reviews(Verified Purchases). Show all reviews
on October 21, 2009
If you are new to G Shock watches then this is where you should probably start. I just got this watch (shipping was extremely quick) but have always been a fan of G's. It is a Solar Atomic, Matte Black watch with dozens of timezones pre-programmed in. The look and feel of this watch is enough to sell me but the idea of a somewhat endless battery (solar powered) and automatic sync every night is what really made me get this one. I am going into the military and will be traveling all around the world and the peace of mind knowing that I won't have to do much of anything but look down at my watch for the time is going to be nice.

Pros: great design, comfort, layout, simplicity, all black, solar, automatic sync, indestructable, 80 bucks is a steal for this watch
Cons: the indigo is bright, but it only lights up the time box & indicator spheres; not the entire face much like a dual illuminator would
on April 6, 2011
So, here goes. I have about 20 analog watches. Some are automatic, some kinetic, some solar. Finally realized why I don't wear them. I don't want to damage them, considering I paid well over two hundred bucks apiece for them. I am transplanted white collar to blue collar worker, and I would have to say that this by far is the most durable, easiest to set, and easiest to use watch I have ever owned.

First off, shipping was amazing. I had super saver shipping, free cause I am a cheapskate, and this took all of 3 days to get to me. Placed order on thursday night, about 2 am, had watch in hand on Saturday morning. It came packaged very well, bubble wrap in a huge steel case. The manual was about an inch thick, and the size of three stamps, so I pitched it to the side and gave it a whirl.

The display was blank, so I pushed a button, and wala. I had display. I then set it to my time zone, strapped it to the fence, and it was charged and ready to go.

It has an instant light feature, but you wouldnt believe how many times a day that little light comes on, so I don't use it. The several alarms are great, loud enough to wake me up, but not alarm clock buzzer loud, which wakes up my whole house.

There is no second guessing what time it is, just a one second glance, and you have it. I have smacked this watch around, stepped on it, dropped it, left it outside in two days of rain, and not a scratch on it.

The price was terrific, I saved more than fif tee bucks on it, amazon had it for atey fife after taxes and all, even wally world it was in excess of wunhun dred tirty befor taxes.

I am extremly pleased with this watch, I had ordered the simpler model of this without the atomic and solar feature, but changed my mind just in time to get this. I never have to set it nor change the battery. Well worth the extra few bucks to get this model.

The last thing I can say, two things. This is a LARGE watch. The band has a great design, where it sits in such a way that you dont get stinky watch, air seems to get through very well. Also, the word G shock at the top is not so bright as the photo, it is more of a gray color, which seems to blend in.

My advice is to buy it, strap it on, and get used to it. I have not gone a day without wearing it and I love it.

""""""@@@@@@update many years later...it is 2015, and this is still going strong. No problems, works great
on September 13, 2015
This watch is based on the original DW-6900 model, G-Shock's best-selling case design. However, unlike the DW-6900, it is solar powered with multi-band 6 atomic timekeeping.

I bought this watch for its great all around functionality and durability. You just cannot beat it for the price. With that being said, and if price is not so much of a concern to you, and you want a thicker watch with some additional features such as a thermometer and a compass, you might want to look at the G-Shock Mudman models. However, while all Mudmans are solar powered, not all of them feature multi-band 6 atomic timekeeping like this one.

SOLAR BATTERY CHARGE
Do not get frustrated if at first you receive this watch and the Battery Power Indicator will not go to high while indoors and exposed to light. That is what happened to me the first 2 or 3 days trying to raise the charge from medium to high near an indoor window. My advice is to keep a positive attitude about it. There is nothing wrong with the solar battery. Simply get the watch into outdoor sunlight for a few hours. I finally wisened up and did that on the third day, and the Battery Power Indicator went to high. That was 34 days ago, and it has been on high ever since.

OPERATION
This watch is extremely simple to operate. It has no unnecessary thermometer or compass which, to the average person, are not worth the hassle of setting up, especially since the accuracy of those features is always in question.

I like the front button for illumination of the light. Many G-Shock models have no front button instead utilizing the upper right side button for light illumination.

Further, I like the ability to scroll both east and west through the 48 city codes this watch offers. Not all G-Shocks can scroll in both directions. Sometimes they are limited to eastward scrolling due to configuration of the module with the style. But the capability of both east and west scrolling is far less clumsy.

If you want to further check out operation, I suggest researching the online Operation Guide where you will find very clear and concise product information.

Important Tip: The times displayed in the Timekeeping Mode and World Time Mode are linked. Because of this, be sure you select a Home City (the city where you normally will use the watch) BEFORE you set the time and the date. Sometimes people do not read the Operation Guide and initially get hung up on operation not realizing this.

INSCRIPTION
on Stainless Steel Back
ST. STEEL BACK - MADE IN THAILAND - Y - WATER RESIST 20 BAR - CASIO - 3179 - GW-6900 - SHOCK RESIST - SHOCK ABSORBING STRUCTURE

Also on the stainless steel back is an alphanumeric inscription or stamp which I believe to be a serial number.

INSCRIPTION
on Watchband Clasp
CASIO THAILAND

CALENDAR
The watch is programmed to automatically adjust the date of the month for the varying lengths of months as well as leap years to the year 2099.

CRYSTAL
This watch has a MINERAL crystal which is one of 3 crystal types commonly used in watches. For comparison of those types, I have described each of them below:

1. Acrylic crystal is an inexpensive plastic that allows shallow scratches to be buffed out.

2. MINERAL crystal (this watch) is composed of several elements that are heat-treated to create an unusual hardness that helps resist scratches.

3. Sapphire is the most expensive and durable crystal, approximately 3 times harder than mineral crystals and 20 times harder than acrylic crystals.

PHOTOS
The 5 photos included with this review are not mine.
review image review image review image review image review image
on December 19, 2009
Have worn Nike watches for years for working out. They look nice but are pricey, don't have tons of useful features, aren't the most durable, and show their age very quickly. The glass face on my latest one cracked (the watch actually lasted for six years, not too bad for Nike), and rather than stick with the same brand, I decided to check out what was out there that might be a better value. I came upon the Casio G-Shock series, did some googling and other research and found that there's quite a following for these watches. Decided to order this watch and give it a test run, it has all of the features I'd actually utilize, and at a phenomenal price. I've now had it for a month and have put it thru the ringer, so to speak. Swimming, running, biking, dish-washing, etc etc - Love it so far. I've also decided to make it my official travel watch (travel for work quite a bit) and love the auto sync feature, multi-alarms are great as well. The solar power is also a great feature, the battery has yet to go below the "full" setting. It's a big watch, but light and has a relatively low profile so it doesn't constantly snag shirt sleeves. And I've received quite a few comments on the watch's looks as well. Good find - I'm now hooked on the G-Shocks.
on March 11, 2015
Great watch! A lot of watch for the money. If you're thinking about buying this watch, do it. You won't regret it. I have a 7 inch wrist and I think it fits great.
on June 23, 2015
Two days after purchasing this, I was wearing it while trimming trees. The extension ladder rope slipped from my hand with the entire weight of the top portion of the ladder sliding into my wrist, hitting the watch. Watch is still in excellent condition and works flawlessly. Although bruised, my wrist isn't broken, which I attribute to the watch. Two thumbs up! I also love the size, not too big, not too small! Main reason for purchase was hunting and outdoor activity/work. Works great! Very happy!
on November 9, 2009
This is my 3rd G-Shock and first in the tough solar/atomic series. I bought this model because of looks and features. Has just what I need and no useless features. The watch is large but light and wears well. The solar and atomic feature work perfectly. It came with the wrong time zone for my area and I was able to manually sync the watch according to instructions with no problems. There are really no cons to the watch thus far and I'd recommend this model to those who like the bigger style and are thinking about the solar/atomic features. It's classic G-Shock all the way!

*Update It's been nearly 2 years since getting this watch and it deserves a long term review. The watch has been perfect. It has always stayed fully charged with minimal direct exposure to sunlight. I haven't had the slightest desire to purchase another watch after getting this. The only modification I have made is a nice Maritac 3 ring nylon watch band. You simply can't go wrong with this watch.
on August 18, 2015
For the most part, it's rare that I ever rate anything 5/5, but this watch deserves it. In my opinion, it's one of the more unattractive G-Shocks, but it's been growing on me the more I look at it. As with most watches, it definitely looks better in person than what the product picture suggests. This product fits me better than any of the 9 watches in my collection, which includes 2 other G-Shocks. Before purchasing this, I was in the market for an EDC watch with a certain feature set, and this fit the bill almost perfectly. Said features include local time, world time(UTC), alarm, stopwatch, timer, 200m/20bar water resistance, solar charging, and atomic timekeeping, which receives a signal after midnight, everyday. To my understanding, this watch and other G-Shocks with solar cells, are capable of 'sleep mode' which turns the LCD off when the watch has remained in the darkness for a set period of time, untouched, and turns back on instantly when picked up. So far, the only feature wish that this watch had is a digital compass. The Rangeman has most, if not all of the features I mentioned before, plus a digital compass, however, it's about $100-120 more than the GW6900.
review image review image
on May 29, 2015
I got this recently and I love it! I can't say too much about reliability since I got it a week ago but people seem to say the watch holds up nice.

Pros:
-The watch is the classic/original gshock with a little bit of variation.
-solar function works perfectly. I also got this so that the watch would last longer. Regular gshocks promise about a 2 year life battery but when you change it, the water resist feature no longer holds up or so a lot of reviews say. So this ensures a longer lifespan without having to open and ruin the watch
-atomic function works well. It took some time to get it right because of reception issues but it finally works and its great! It calibrates your watch to the atomic clock of a few countries.
-has all the basic gshock functions: timer, stopwatch, illumination and alarm. This watch also features different time zones.
-I'm not sure the GW6900 is NASA certified but the DW6900 is which is essentially the same model. So it helps the coolness factor
-its different from the DW6900 model in that for the GW, there are 3 letters for the day instead of 2 (example FRI instead of FR)
- bolder digits than the DW6900
-illumination function works great! You have the option of having it turn on automatically when you look at it while its on your wrist. Also, you can have it last for 1.5 seconds or 3.
-option of a power saving function, which turns off automatically when the watch is off and in the dark and not in use.
-feels very light and reliable. The band is replaceable.
-it's shock and water resistant, which is a given(according to manual, you can wash your hands with this model, go under rain, swim or surf) make sure not to press the buttons while under water!
-it's around $70, which is the lowest price among the solar gshock watches. The price is similar to the mudman but you get the solar function! It's a steel!
-buttons are easy to press unlike other gshocks, and they are situated in a way that helps avoid accidental pressing
-display is not negative so you can actually see the time without having to use the light constantly.
-easy to read
-thickness and size is about the same as a military wenger or a fossil townsman
-it looks cool and tough
-perfect for the gym, for athletes or for people who need fast readability
-great for everyday use if you know you're gonna bang the watch against something.
-the watch looks way nicer in person with its black finish and silver and white accents. I like that there isn't any red.
-for those concerned about the machismo factor... well it certainly won't repel women.

Overall this is a great watch. I've been needing something like this for everyday use. It's casual, not too flashy, easy to use and simple. I would say don't use this as a dress watch. I just go back to my swiss analog leather watch for formal occasions. The GW6900 looks like it'll hold up nice and so far I love it and would recommend it!

As a side note, I'd probably go for a timex ironman next time, maybe the shock models just because the digits are much larger and readable. This isn't really a con for the gshock unless they're compared or you have poor eyesight. But I'm happy I went with the gshock for now.

One thing Im not too keen on are the three dials on the display. I know they each have a function, but they're not necessary. Casio could have used the space in a more wise manner and made the digits larger. This isn't a deal breaker but it would have made this watch perfect.

For those who want to know what the dials are for:
The left one is to tell you the battery power level and if the power save function is on/off
The middle is to tell you if the key tone, alarm, etc is on/off
The right dial tells you the seconds in a 10 sec interval

The manual for this watch is nuts in that its so detailed that there's 80pgs worth of info. But it helps.
on April 13, 2015
Exactly as described. After a month of use I can safely say it is well worth the money -- the automatic timekeeping is amazingly accurate. I use it for work. The tactile response of the illumination button could be better, but that is my only complaint. If you're not outside enough you may have to set it in sunlight to charge but that isn't the watches fault.
review image

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.