Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Book House Cleaning animestrike animestrike animestrike  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade in and get paid instantly Shop Now STEM

Showing 1-10 of 544 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 605 reviews
on September 13, 2015
This watch is based on the original DW-6900 model, G-Shock's best-selling case design. However, unlike the DW-6900, it is solar powered with multi-band 6 atomic timekeeping.

I bought this watch for its great all around functionality and durability. You just cannot beat it for the price. With that being said, and if price is not so much of a concern to you, and you want a thicker watch with some additional features such as a thermometer and a compass, you might want to look at the G-Shock Mudman models. However, while all Mudmans are solar powered, not all of them feature multi-band 6 atomic timekeeping like this one.

SOLAR BATTERY CHARGE
Do not get frustrated if at first you receive this watch and the Battery Power Indicator will not go to high while indoors and exposed to light. That is what happened to me the first 2 or 3 days trying to raise the charge from medium to high near an indoor window. My advice is to keep a positive attitude about it. There is nothing wrong with the solar battery. Simply get the watch into outdoor sunlight for a few hours. I finally wisened up and did that on the third day, and the Battery Power Indicator went to high. That was 34 days ago, and it has been on high ever since.

OPERATION
This watch is extremely simple to operate. It has no unnecessary thermometer or compass which, to the average person, are not worth the hassle of setting up, especially since the accuracy of those features is always in question.

I like the front button for illumination of the light. Many G-Shock models have no front button instead utilizing the upper right side button for light illumination.

Further, I like the ability to scroll both east and west through the 48 city codes this watch offers. Not all G-Shocks can scroll in both directions. Sometimes they are limited to eastward scrolling due to configuration of the module with the style. But the capability of both east and west scrolling is far less clumsy.

If you want to further check out operation, I suggest researching the online Operation Guide where you will find very clear and concise product information.

Important Tip: The times displayed in the Timekeeping Mode and World Time Mode are linked. Because of this, be sure you select a Home City (the city where you normally will use the watch) BEFORE you set the time and the date. Sometimes people do not read the Operation Guide and initially get hung up on operation not realizing this.

INSCRIPTION
on Stainless Steel Back
ST. STEEL BACK - MADE IN THAILAND - Y - WATER RESIST 20 BAR - CASIO - 3179 - GW-6900 - SHOCK RESIST - SHOCK ABSORBING STRUCTURE

Also on the stainless steel back is an alphanumeric inscription or stamp which I believe to be a serial number.

INSCRIPTION
on Watchband Clasp
CASIO THAILAND

CALENDAR
The watch is programmed to automatically adjust the date of the month for the varying lengths of months as well as leap years to the year 2099.

CRYSTAL
This watch has a MINERAL crystal which is one of 3 crystal types commonly used in watches. For comparison of those types, I have described each of them below:

1. Acrylic crystal is an inexpensive plastic that allows shallow scratches to be buffed out.

2. MINERAL crystal (this watch) is composed of several elements that are heat-treated to create an unusual hardness that helps resist scratches.

3. Sapphire is the most expensive and durable crystal, approximately 3 times harder than mineral crystals and 20 times harder than acrylic crystals.

PHOTOS
The 5 photos included with this review are not mine.
review image review image review image review image review image
on August 18, 2015
For the most part, it's rare that I ever rate anything 5/5, but this watch deserves it. In my opinion, it's one of the more unattractive G-Shocks, but it's been growing on me the more I look at it. As with most watches, it definitely looks better in person than what the product picture suggests. This product fits me better than any of the 9 watches in my collection, which includes 2 other G-Shocks. Before purchasing this, I was in the market for an EDC watch with a certain feature set, and this fit the bill almost perfectly. Said features include local time, world time(UTC), alarm, stopwatch, timer, 200m/20bar water resistance, solar charging, and atomic timekeeping, which receives a signal after midnight, everyday. To my understanding, this watch and other G-Shocks with solar cells, are capable of 'sleep mode' which turns the LCD off when the watch has remained in the darkness for a set period of time, untouched, and turns back on instantly when picked up. So far, the only feature wish that this watch had is a digital compass. The Rangeman has most, if not all of the features I mentioned before, plus a digital compass, however, it's about $100-120 more than the GW6900.
review image review image
on October 21, 2009
If you are new to G Shock watches then this is where you should probably start. I just got this watch (shipping was extremely quick) but have always been a fan of G's. It is a Solar Atomic, Matte Black watch with dozens of timezones pre-programmed in. The look and feel of this watch is enough to sell me but the idea of a somewhat endless battery (solar powered) and automatic sync every night is what really made me get this one. I am going into the military and will be traveling all around the world and the peace of mind knowing that I won't have to do much of anything but look down at my watch for the time is going to be nice.

Pros: great design, comfort, layout, simplicity, all black, solar, automatic sync, indestructable, 80 bucks is a steal for this watch
Cons: the indigo is bright, but it only lights up the time box & indicator spheres; not the entire face much like a dual illuminator would
on April 6, 2011
So, here goes. I have about 20 analog watches. Some are automatic, some kinetic, some solar. Finally realized why I don't wear them. I don't want to damage them, considering I paid well over two hundred bucks apiece for them. I am transplanted white collar to blue collar worker, and I would have to say that this by far is the most durable, easiest to set, and easiest to use watch I have ever owned.

First off, shipping was amazing. I had super saver shipping, free cause I am a cheapskate, and this took all of 3 days to get to me. Placed order on thursday night, about 2 am, had watch in hand on Saturday morning. It came packaged very well, bubble wrap in a huge steel case. The manual was about an inch thick, and the size of three stamps, so I pitched it to the side and gave it a whirl.

The display was blank, so I pushed a button, and wala. I had display. I then set it to my time zone, strapped it to the fence, and it was charged and ready to go.

It has an instant light feature, but you wouldnt believe how many times a day that little light comes on, so I don't use it. The several alarms are great, loud enough to wake me up, but not alarm clock buzzer loud, which wakes up my whole house.

There is no second guessing what time it is, just a one second glance, and you have it. I have smacked this watch around, stepped on it, dropped it, left it outside in two days of rain, and not a scratch on it.

The price was terrific, I saved more than fif tee bucks on it, amazon had it for atey fife after taxes and all, even wally world it was in excess of wunhun dred tirty befor taxes.

I am extremly pleased with this watch, I had ordered the simpler model of this without the atomic and solar feature, but changed my mind just in time to get this. I never have to set it nor change the battery. Well worth the extra few bucks to get this model.

The last thing I can say, two things. This is a LARGE watch. The band has a great design, where it sits in such a way that you dont get stinky watch, air seems to get through very well. Also, the word G shock at the top is not so bright as the photo, it is more of a gray color, which seems to blend in.

My advice is to buy it, strap it on, and get used to it. I have not gone a day without wearing it and I love it.

""""""@@@@@@update many years later...it is 2015, and this is still going strong. No problems, works great
review image
on March 5, 2017
The pictures don't do this watch justice. In person this watch looks fantastic, it's styling grows on you everytime you look at it!

The functions and features are basically standard for every mid priced solar/multi band 6 G-Shock.

This is another classic Casio that's been around forever, it's just a good looking watch that can get abused and still function. Overall if you like G-Shocks and want a lower priced yet solid watch, consider this watch or any of Casio's other lower cost G-Shocks. They're all just as durable and built with topnotch materials.
on February 7, 2014
These watches are great. Very rugged and durable. I had one last 10 years before the battery would no longer take a charge. I also like the "atomic clock" feature. Never have to set the time. I also travel and find the time zone mode very convenient. Much better than resetting the time or add/subtract X hours.
on March 18, 2017
The toughness and dependability I've come to expect from Casio. I especially like the solar power and the automatic connection to the atomic clock that keeps the time so accurate.
on March 21, 2017
This watch looks soo much better in person.
on December 19, 2009
Have worn Nike watches for years for working out. They look nice but are pricey, don't have tons of useful features, aren't the most durable, and show their age very quickly. The glass face on my latest one cracked (the watch actually lasted for six years, not too bad for Nike), and rather than stick with the same brand, I decided to check out what was out there that might be a better value. I came upon the Casio G-Shock series, did some googling and other research and found that there's quite a following for these watches. Decided to order this watch and give it a test run, it has all of the features I'd actually utilize, and at a phenomenal price. I've now had it for a month and have put it thru the ringer, so to speak. Swimming, running, biking, dish-washing, etc etc - Love it so far. I've also decided to make it my official travel watch (travel for work quite a bit) and love the auto sync feature, multi-alarms are great as well. The solar power is also a great feature, the battery has yet to go below the "full" setting. It's a big watch, but light and has a relatively low profile so it doesn't constantly snag shirt sleeves. And I've received quite a few comments on the watch's looks as well. Good find - I'm now hooked on the G-Shocks.
on November 9, 2009
This is my 3rd G-Shock and first in the tough solar/atomic series. I bought this model because of looks and features. Has just what I need and no useless features. The watch is large but light and wears well. The solar and atomic feature work perfectly. It came with the wrong time zone for my area and I was able to manually sync the watch according to instructions with no problems. There are really no cons to the watch thus far and I'd recommend this model to those who like the bigger style and are thinking about the solar/atomic features. It's classic G-Shock all the way!

*Update It's been nearly 2 years since getting this watch and it deserves a long term review. The watch has been perfect. It has always stayed fully charged with minimal direct exposure to sunlight. I haven't had the slightest desire to purchase another watch after getting this. The only modification I have made is a nice Maritac 3 ring nylon watch band. You simply can't go wrong with this watch.