Workplace Solutions Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Gift with Purchase Stocking Stuffers hggv216 Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  All-New Echo Dot Fire Tablets Kindle Paperwhite Prince Shop Now

Showing 1-10 of 197 reviews(verified purchases). Show all reviews
on May 8, 2008
This is watch is virtually indestructable.

It is rather large and attractive but not gawdy. Unlike the picture from Amazon, the case does have a metal ring around it (see pictures that I uploaded).

The modes include world time, stopwatch, count down timer, and 5 daily alarms (one with a snooze feature, very nice!).

It is solar and has atomic time keeping feature.

The buttons are covered with a rubber lining to keep dirt from entering. This is very useful if you're in mud a lot but it also makes the buttons harder to push and the rubber can cause a callous on your finger.

Overall, this is a high quality watch that will take a beating. I love it.
review image review image review image
on August 16, 2008
I am a female student naval aviator for the Marine Corps and I wear this watch around the clock. Works well in salt water/oceanic environments as well as Chlorine. If residue builds up around the face, it is easy to clean and overall it requires very little maintenance. I don't find the watch to hinder any physical activities, including wrist and forearm weight-intensive or load-bearing exercises. Light weight fit and split time features are great for running, and band does not chafe the skin when sweating. Face illumination button is difficult to push, but the watch features allow for automatic illumination when arm is raised parallel to ground and rotated towards you (I find that raising the arm parallel and then twisting the watch towards myself with my free hand works best). It's no Breitling Emergency, but this watch works great for me.
on January 10, 2010
After extensive research, I bought this watch for my fiance for Christmas. He is in the Army (Infantry) and was deployed to Iraq for the second time this January. I wanted to get him something that would be useful, but would also stand up to the wear and tear of the Army and the Iraq desert! This watch met everything that I was looking for, and he LOVED it. He made tons of comments about how cool it was, but how it was so tough at the same time. His favorite feature is the Auto EL, which can be easily turned off and on, which is perfect for the military. The watch is on the larger side, and I was worried that it wouldn't fit well on his small wrist, but it looks great on him and he says it is very comfortable.
Several people have complained about the small raises "nubs" on the watch. They rubbed his wrist for a day or two, but nothing unbearable, and after he got it adjusted to where he likes it, he loves that it is slightly raised off his wrist. As for those who say that the buttons are two hard to push - that is one of the features that make this watch tough so it will last! It just takes a little extra effort, that's all, and if you don't like the buttons, then I don't really think that you have any need for a watch this tough.
I will edit the review after a few months of him being in the desert to report how it is holding up!
on October 15, 2009
I've gone back to digital after a using a stainless Luminox for the last 8 years-It's not keeping time well, the date doesn't work and I need band #3--so back to Casio where my first (and I think the original) G-Shock I used in college served me faithfully for many years.

I wanted a watch with lots of features, but I stopped to think how many times in my life I cared about the barometric pressure and the answer was "never". So, I looked to find a simple watch that wouldn't look too obnoxious in a business casual setting. I really like the model that was black metal, but was afraid the black would scuff off and look bad.

So far I'm very happy with this watch. I don't take it off at night and it still syncs every night (Cincinnati). The solar charging seems to work fine too, although I guess it still to early to tell.

I gave it four instead of 5 stars because (IMHO) the buttons are a little tough to operate. I think the 5 big circles are a waste of space, larger digits would be better with another screen to tell you what country you're in just in case you are so confused that you are unsure of what continent you're standing on.

6 Year Update, 9-6-2015
Well it took 6 years of abuse to show a flaw-- the face of the lower right hand button seems to have left. Looked down to stop the stopwatch and it was a hollow button now; I'm not sure if this effects the operation or water-proof properties, we'll see. I am just bummed, really like this watch! It does not look like they make it any longer. I think I might try the gw9400 or g9300-1 if this one stops working.
on March 9, 2009
I needed to replace an older G-Shock watch that was starting to pretty beat up, and would probably soon need a new battery. The Mudman fit the bill.

Pros:
- Nice design, and very attractive. My old G-Shock (DW9052-1V) had some bright red lettering on it. The Mudman is all black and gray, plastic and steel, and very low profile. The old G-Shock had four metal pins around the outside that had a bad habit of popping out (only two of mine are left). The Mudman lacks these, and is held together with screws. Nice design.
- The atomic watch feature works great. The first night I had the watch I followed the directions exactly, placing it against a window, with the "12-o'clock" position pointing upward. I've since found that leaving it face down on the counter in my windowless bathroom works just as well.

Con:
- The countdown timer can be set for a maximum of one hour. Really, Casio? You couldn't find an extra 5 bits of memory to extend that to 24 hours?
- I've owned Casio digital watches for nearly 30 years. They're rugged, accurate, and great quality. But they tend to make poor use of screen real estate. Here's what I want to see on the front of my watch: time, day of the month (numeral AND name) and month. The DW9052 managed to get all of these in, despite wasting screen space on a couple of superfluous seconds indicators. But on the Mudman, I have to press a button to see the name of the day. Casio could easily have done away with the enormous display at top that indicates whether my watch was synced to Japanese, UK, US, or German time. Chances are I'm going to know what country I'm in. A little dash in the corner, next to the indicator for the battery or alarm setting, showing me that the watch has been reset in the past 24 hours would be just fine, and all that screen real estate at top could be used to show me the day's name.

The pros far outweigh the cons (I'm subtracting only one star), though. The number of features for the price is absolutely excellent. Give me a $90 Casio over a thousands-of-dollars analog watch any day.
on August 12, 2008
It's a good watch and does everything Casio says it does. Solid and dependable. One defect: the alarm sound is so tiny as to be useless.
on March 4, 2011
I just want to say that I looked long and hard at this watch before I decided to purchase it. I compared it with the pathfinders and the Suuntu's. However, this watch won out and I'll tell you why. It's tough and It's functional. Not too much, but not missing any "daily use" features that would detract from it. On top of it all, you can get it for around $100.00

After using the watch for over a week or two now this is what I've found. Keep in mind I have read many other reviews so I'll highlight what I wish someone would have told me before I bought it.

1. The buttons are not THAT hard to push. Their not as easy as a Timex for instance, but a Timex doesn't boast the ability to keep out dirt and grime. Don't be scared off by people saying the buttons are hard to push.

2. The 5 "optional" daily alarms are nice. I say optional because you can turn them on or off. Some watches only boast one daily alarm. It's nice for twice a day, but I use 24hr time.

3. The count down timer is very useful and I utilize that all the time. It only goes up to 60 minutes however. If you need more time than that, set an alarm. The Stopwatch is standard, but with a nifty 5 second countdown timer that you can use if you want.

4. The watch is atomic (Syncs up wirelessly every day to keep very accurate time). It's a nice feature, but I would never buy a watch soley because it was atomic. My life won't grind to a halt because my watch is 5 seconds off. While it is nice, I have seen some issues where mine doesn't always want to sync. However, I can't imagine that it loses a lot of time over the course of 3-4 days. I will say this, it does sync better at night than during the day, even if you are on top of a parking garage or in the middle of the street on a sunny day at noon. the manual is right...

5. The solar feature is cool, but pretty basic. It's like a plant. Give it light once in a while.

6. The watch also boasts world time and a few other nice features such as the ability to go to 200 meters underwater. snooze on the alarms and auto illumination (the light automatically turns on the back light (green) when you turn the watch to a 40 degree angle towards you. It can be turned on or off.

Just a few things I don't like. The back light only stays on for 2 seconds (not an exaggeration). I feel like they could have extended it to 4 or 5 seconds. Secondly, the atomic clock doesn't always want to sync even at night sometimes. Lastly, the alarm is a bit soft. It won't wake you up if your anything but a very light sleeper.

Other than that, I would highly recommend this watch. As I said, there are others Suuntu Core was one I looked at as well. However, I couldn't see spending 300$ on a watch for a barometer, altimeter, ect. I don't use it that much. The Mudman takes a beating and has features I use every day. It's like my new Visa, I don't leave home without it.
on December 16, 2008
After twice replacing a more expensive watch that touts itself as a Navy Seals watch I decided to go with the Casio G Shock Line. Reading the reviews here I settled on the GW9000A. This is a heavy duty big bodied watch- not glamorous but highly functional that keeps accurate time and has alarms and stopwatch features. I like the wrist band (double prong catches instead of typical single) Also the fact that you really need to push the buttons on the watch to change settings- you aren't going to change them in the course of just normal hard work or leaning on them like some other watches I have had. The fact that it is solar and won't need a watch battery after a year or so is also appealing. I never take the watch off and it has readjusted to the atomic time on it's own- I sleep right by a large window though. I use it for scuba diving as well. So far I am very happy with it. Recommended for someone who is tough on watches and needs a dependable timepiece without breaking the bank.
on January 14, 2014
Absolutely amazing! I work at a coffee shop and have spilled hot drinks and sticky syrups on it daily. I think my hand will fall of before my watch stops working! The atomic syncing and solar powered battery mean I can basically forget about the watch until I need to know the time. Aside from running soap and water on it to clean off the syrup, there is no maintenance required. Would absolutely recommend!

My brother, a Marine, has the same watch too. He wore it through MCT and his MOS training. Now he wears it daily and there isn't a scratch on it. Phenomenal watch!
on August 16, 2010
I have had this watch for 3 years now, and in that time this watch has been an exellent watch. There are a few cons about this watch though the date and day are not on the same display, you must toggle between the 2. and the little resin piece that holds the band down doesnt secure well and will slide and allow the access band to "flop" around, other G shock models I have do not have this problem. This is a larger watch, but I have big hands/wrist so this isn't an issue for me, if you have a small hands/wrist you may want a smaller G-Shock. But overall I highly recommend this watch.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.