Lyft Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18SW_gno

on October 22, 2011
While my first G-Shock, a GIEZ Series GS1001D-1A, is a beautiful, classy and tough watch, it did not feature what it was being sold as having; Atomic/Radio-Controlled Timekeeping and "Tough Solar" powered battery. Those are features of the much more expensive GIEZ series which purchasing I, being a married, working stiff-class father, cannot begin to justify to my wife!

This MUDMAN has a very solid build but doesn't have the solid weight of the GIEZ. Unlike my GIEZ GS1001D-1A, this watch DOES feature Atomic/Radio-Controlled Timekeeping and "Tough Solar"-powered battery. This is definitely my new, everyday watch! It's buttons are nearly impossible to press accidentally-they're so rigid every button press must be deliberate, even for the two, more bulbous ones on the right. With the GIEZ I'd have to make sure to put the watch on after getting dressed because I'd accidentally have buttons depressed while tucking in my shirt and have the current mode/function changed on me.

Aesthetically, its nice to look at, too. I was going to purchase the GW7900B-1 but found out those screws featured on the four corners of the face serve no purpose and are prone to pop out, which would upset me too much.

The time syncing is amazing. My computer is time synchronized with the government's local NIST Time Service Server (they've a listing of servers whose IPs can be copy-pasted into Date and Time Control Panels/System Preferences). This watch defaults to self-attempting time syncs at 0000, 0100, 0200, 0300, 0400 and 0500HRS when NYC--where I live--is set to the Home location, it might check at different intervals based on where you live or set as the Home location. Syncing can also be done manually with the push of a button. Once successful the circle near the top of the display will darken based on which world radio time server it synchronized with. I was kind of surprised I caught the signal just leaving it on a shoe rack in my kitchen on the first floor in this residential neighborhood in NYC, but I picked it up, walked it over to my computer and watched as the seconds passed on both watch and computer in perfect sync! The United States' signal from Fort Collins also contains Daylight Savings Time data so even THAT doesn't have to be set by me. Awesome.

I've had my MUDMAN only a few days and am very happy with it... I might sell my GIEZ until I can afford a GIEZ with Atomic/Radio-Controlled Timekeeping/"Waveceptor" and "Tough Solar"-powered technology in the future.

A NOTE ON G-SHOCK PURCHASING: If the watch does not have the words "Atomic", "Atomic Timekeeping", "Waveceptor", "Solar" or "Tough Solar" then IT DOES NOT feature Radio-Controlled Timekeeping and/or Solar-Powered batteries. I found out the hard way that my GIEZ GS1001D-1A lacked these features and became disappointed. I have to set the time, Daylight Savings and expect to have the battery last not much longer than 2 years, based on usage. Tough, beautiful watch, though!
on May 23, 2012
This watch rocks the hands right off the unknown into digital excellence baby!. Oh! shes the beauty no one ever sees.
What do I mean. You can spank her. You can deprive her. You can say shes ugly. This black widow still will keep her unseen venom flowing into your wrist making all other poison immune to you(IE: Other watches).

Seriously I play in a very physical extreme environment. The Ice hockey kind. I had a Timex and the face ended upside down through conditions. So I been searching. The Mudman is a survivor.

I owned the Casio Mtg series(very Good) ,Pathfinder(Solar Battery gave in) and the Casio Gietz(One of the lost ones, battery dead, not solar,blue, dead nuts unconsciously beautiful watch). That's just Casio. You want more email me on my personal experience.

This watch is not a looker but the construction is so solid it will not break. I've smashed this watch, submerged it over 1 hr in water and never took it off over a year in a very physical environment(run-on sorry). This warrior TICKS!
I bought the Mudman for under $125.00 to replace my screwed up Pathfinder(physically beaten out of commission through work) . This Mudman is a winner. I've noticed the price for this watch has gone up. You get this watch for under 109.00, buy it. This is an Exceptional watch. Exceptional, means one step under genius so you understand. I'm a nobody please do not listen.
on September 10, 2010
There is one word to describe this watch TOUGH!. I mean this watch is just asking for it to be put to the test, it's body being cover with shock absorbing material in just the right places that it actually put more appeal to the watch, making it more sexier and bolder. Now having said that here are my Pros and Cons.

PROS:
. STYLING. Its shock absorbing material not only protect but actually adds appeal to the watch that it make the watch stands out.
. SIZE. The watch is not actually that big, I mean big enough to be notice but not big enough to make you look like you are wearing a satellite disc in your hand.
. Weight, This watch actually weigh less than my Seiko, citizen, and bulova dress watches. You would hardly notice its there.
. FEATURES. This watch has just enough features to make it useful in your everyday life.

CONS:
. BUTTONS: I know this watch is design to be tough but there a little to much protection in those buttons that it takes quite an effort to press them including the light button.
. ATOMIC CLOCK SYNC. This features plaque most atomic watches that it takes a while for it to sync and you can be sure it wouldn't be able to every night, but no worries when i did receive the watch this September the last sync it made was last July and its still just off by 3 seconds.

All in all it's a great watch and I do highly recommend it. Hope this review help you out in your decision
on November 24, 2014
Love this watch and the other gshocks I have as well. The solar charging is a great feature. I never have to worry about the battery. I found that the Atomic setting of the time failed after a year or so and no longer works. I just cant make it connect, but its not a huge a deal. Set the time by hand and go on with life. Mine has taken some serious abuse and always just looks at me and asks for more.Great watches! Wish I had one in every color. I have some very expensive pilots watches and they stay in the safe.
on August 22, 2013
I ordered the GW9000A-1 Mudman G-Shock watch directly from Amazon Prime. UPS lost the watch during shipping and it never got delivered to my address. I called Amazon and they sent out a replacement watch of the same exact GW9000A-1 Mudman model watch to replace the one that UPS lost.

The replacement watch that they sent me was delivered and received with deep long line scratch marks on the right hand side of the watch on the inner brushed stainless steel bezel that's located in the small exposed opening crevice underneath the exterior black resin bezel on the watch case. The scratches are very fine scratches and they are parallel to each other above and below each other on the stainless steel brushed inner bezel. It looks like the scratches were caused by "over machining" the stainless steel inner bezel when the stainless steel inner bezel was being brushed and machined at the factory where the watch was made in Thailand. It looks like when the factory was machining the stainless steel bezel to put the brushing texture on it, that they "over brushed" and "burned" the scratches very deep into the stainless steel causing that particular area where the brushing texture is located to have deep long line scratch marks on it. The brushed texture on the stainless steel has very "deep" scratch marks on it from being "over machined" at the factory where the watch was made at. These scratches on the brushed stainless steel don't look that bad, but they can be seen when you look at the watch at a certain angle. I guess that it's a matter of trying to get used to them and to not let them bother you. I personally don't mind these fine line scratches on the brushing on the brushed stainless steel. The watch still looks very nice even though Casio "over machined" the brushing on the stainless steel bezel at the factory. I don't really think that one would notice unless they were "anal" like I am about things like this.

Amazon sent me a replacement watch of the same exact model GW9000A-1 Mudman G-Shock for the cosmetic defects that the watch had with the scratched inner stainless steel bezel. When I received the replacement, the Amazon box that it was delivered in was very badly damaged and crushed. The watch box that stored the actual watch that was inside the Amazon box was also damaged and torn and crushed too. I didn't want to keep the watch for fear that the watch might be damaged internally from the damaged that the Amazon box and watch case sustained during shipping. I ended up sending this watch back to Amazon for again another replacement watch of the same exact model GW9000A-1 Mudman.

When I received the replacement watch, this one was defective too. It had "stress mark cracks" and "crack lines" that were molded into the exterior black injection molded resin case on the molded light button and to the right of the light button. The exterior resin bezel on this particular GW9000A-1 Mudman G-Shock is a one piece injection molded piece that's made out of polyurethane resin that covers over the entire watch case to protect the watch from shocks. The light button is located underneath the exterior resin bezel. The area of the resin bezel that covers the light button which is part of the resin bezel is where most of the crack lines were located. I believe that the crack lines were created while the resin was taken out of the injection mold when it was cooling off. The crack lines were visible to the eye if you looked closely at the resin. I didn't want to keep this watch either for the fear that the resin that's located just above the night light button that has the crack lines on it would someday crack or tear off resulting from the continuing pressing with one's finger of the night light button. The night light button is housed and located directly underneath the injection molded resin that covers over the watch case on this particular model GW9000A-1 Mudman G-Shock. So I ended up returning this one back to Amazon too.

I've been wearing Casio G-Shocks since 1983 ever since Casio came out with the 1st G-Shock and I LOVE these watches very much. There shouldn't be any excuse for this particular $90-$100 GW9000A-1 Mudman watch to have any scratches anywhere on the brushed inner stainless steel bezel or to have any crack lines on the injection molded exterior resin bezel. Casio needs to have better quality control (QC) at their factories in Thailand and in China when manufacturing these particular parts for their watches. I used to own many different G-Shock models that were made 100% in Japan and they were all flawless. I currently own a 100% Japan made Atomic Solar GWF-1000-1JF G-Shock Frogman and it's flawless too. Why can't Casio have the same quality control with all of the G-Shocks that are also made in Thailand and in China just like they do with their Japan made Frogman??? I also own many other different Casio G-Shock models that are made in Thailand and in China and they are all top notch high quality and very well built watches. I understand that Casio outsources a lot of their manufacturing for many of their G-Shock models to Thailand and to China in order to save money on labor costs, but what good does that do to the company when they are building watches with these small cosmetic flaws? They need to pay more attention to detail with the manufacture of their exterior resin cases and with the small machined and brushed stainless steel parts that they attach underneath the resin bezels. Casio needs to put more effort into better quality control in their manufacturing in China and in Thailand. Other than that, I believe that Casio manufactures VERY high quality G-Shocks. The U.S. Navy Seals as well as all the other military branches here in the United States and around the world wouldn't be wearing G-Shock watches if their watches weren't durable and high quality time pieces. These watches are PROVEN to be the most durable and the most long lasting watches that can be used under very extreme conditions.

Please don't take my review about the GW9000A-1 Mudman G-Shock negatively or the wrong way. This particular model is definitely an EXCELLENT watch. The internal components on the GW9000A-1 are very advanced and also very durable. The Mudman is a VERY durable watch. It can withstand shocks and it can also be used for serious diving up to 200 meters (660 feet) deep in the ocean. Lots of military personnel as well as the U.S. Navy Seal Divers use this GW9000A-1 model G-Shock as their everyday watch. I want you readers here to know that even though I encountered the cosmetic defects with the scratches on the stainless steel inner bezel and with the crack on the exterior part of the resin bezel, that I STILL LOVE this particular model GW9000A-1 Mudman G-Shock. I LOVE all the features that this particular model Mudman has built into it (Local Time, Day, Month/Date, World Time, 1,000 Hour Stopwatch, 60 Minute Countdown Timer, 5 Alarms with 1 Snooze Alarm, 5 Band Frequency Atomic Time Keeping, Built in Atomic Receiving Indicator, Solar Powered Rechargeable Battery, Built in Battery Power Meter, Power Saving Mode to Save Battery Power when the Watch is exposed to Darkness, Water Resistant to 200 Meters, Shock Resistant, Auto Electro Luminescent Night Light). I ALSO LOVE the rounded style of the watch case. The watch looks VERY NICE and VERY MASCULINE. Overall, it's a VERY ACCURATE and a VERY DURABLE watch. No other watch can compare to the GW9000A-1 Atomic Solar Mudman watch.

I haven't returned the one that I received from Amazon that has the scratches on the brushed inner stainless steel bezel yet and I'm thinking about keeping it as my primary watch. I only returned the other 2 replacements that Amazon sent me (the one that came with the damaged and crushed Casio box and damaged and crushed outer Amazon box as well as the one that came with the stress mark cracks and crack lines on the outer black resin bezel).

I have almost 4 more weeks to decide whether or not I should keep or whether I should return the one with the scratches that are on the brushed inner stainless steel bezel. I'm trying to get myself to accept and to live with these scratches. I love this particular GW9000A-1 Atomic Solar Mudman model very much and I'm thinking about keeping it as my every day watch. I'm going to give a 5 star rating for this watch because I believe that the cosmetic flaws that I found on this particular model are only cosmetic flaws that one can live with once they get used to them. I definitely recommend this particular Mudman G-Shock to anyone who is looking for a very accurate, very durable, highly water resistant and shock resistant watch. I hope that my review has been very helpful to the people who are interested in the GW9000A-1 Atomic Solar Mudman G-Shock.
on August 24, 2013
Received this watch well in advance of the stated shipping date, within 5 business days. It was fully charged. The Amazon service representative was very helpful when I inquired as to the status of the order. The watch arrived in perfect condition and functions as advertised. Time is accurate for my needs, fine aesthetically, black matte and is Tough. This G-Shock works great with the manual RC time retrieval as well as automatically. The watch is robust, well made and held together by reinforcing screws that are inconspicuous. I appreciate the dual buckle and the Mudman inscription on the back plate is a great touch.The fact that this G-Shock incorporates Atomic (RC), Solar Powered for this price point and has an extensive Time Zone feature is excellent. On the Con side a 24 hour timer, adjustable luminance (brightness and duration) and significantly louder alarm would be welcomed features. Overall, a unique G-Shock (Mudman), informal nickname 5-eyed monster in some circles. Great Purchase.
on July 12, 2011
Wow is all I can say. I ordered this as a gift to give to my brother-in-law. I picked it for the obvious features, solar-powered, atomic reception, world time and mud,dust and shock resistance. I chose this among three other models seeing that it's the most manly of them all.

Receiving and unpacking from the box, I was completely impressed at the watch design. The picture does not do it justice. It made it look kind of toyish but in person it looked the part. Very manly and of really good quality. The casing looks very solid and gives the impression of indestructibility. It looks very heavy but it's really very light. The watch far surpassed my expectations.

Part of choosing this watch was reading the reviews. I snickered at anyone who complained about how hard it is to push the buttons and I thought, "What wussies. If you can't press the buttons with little effort then you don't deserve to own one."

Boy was I ever wrong! The buttons ARE HARD TO PRESS!! My fingers and hand start trembling whenever I have to keep pushing to go through the different features (world time, alarm, timer, etc.). They weren't kididng! I do accept it because I feel much more secure that no feature will be changed or activated on accident.

As far as the 5 circly displays that most people seem to dislike, all I can say is that wearers may know which timezone they are but can they tell the correct time without looking at the watch? The shaded timezone just simply confirms to the wearer that the timepiece is showing the correct time and that the watch has adjusted to the current location's time.

I sure hope my brother-in-law would appreciate this as much as I do. He owns a basic $40.00 G-Shock for travel so I do feel that he will be surprised.

Thank you.

8/8/2011

This is an update:

My brother-in-law was completely surprised by this gift. He mentioned that he was thinking of buying a solar powered watch sometime in the future so my gift was just in time. He appreciated the atomic control feature as he travels the world as part of his work (lucky guy) but his body takes a beating on air travels even though he goes first class all the way. One thing is for sure, his new G Shock can take the beatings and not complain even for a bit.

Mission accomplished!

Made in Thailand.
on May 4, 2013
I've worn a watch 24/7 for the better part of 35 years, literally never taking them off. I've owned Luminox watches, G-Shocks, Citizens Eco-Drives, Timex brand watches and Pro Treks. I'm a bit obsessed with my watch being completely accurate so over the years I have gravitated toward the atomic watches. Over the past 10 years, I have picked up a variety of G-Shocks and Pro Treks and this Mudman was the first atomic piece I purchased. Since then I spent money purchasing watches with all kinds of other features (compass, barometer, etc.) but I find myself coming back to this one. It's a simple watch, easy to use, and the auto sync and solar charging work flawlessly. It's ridiculously tough, has been through 2+ years of hell, yet still looks good enough to wear with a suit--and believe me, I'm brutal on these things. Given all that's out there, I highly recommend this watch. At this price point, to get atomic time keeping and solar power in a watch that's tough as nails yet very attractive, is all you can ask for. I prefer it over my PAW-1300 ($300 MSRP), GW7900B-1 ($150 MSRP), GW6900-1 ($130 MSRP), and PRW2500-1 ($300 MSRP). It lacks the features of some of the Pro Trek line, but it's ease of operation and toughness more than make up for it.
on August 25, 2013
Lets start off by saying this is easily the best G-Shock under $100. I used to own a Casio solar runners watch which lasted for a year and seven months. My problem with the Casio, was that band broke after a 10 months. So I got a replacement band at Wal-Mart which was a piece of crap. The face of the watch got so scratched up that I couldn't really read what was on it. So after a couple of months I decided to get a new watch. The features I was looking for was a watch that was solar and water resistant. So at first I just wanted to get a cheaper Gshock that had those functions. But after research I decided to get a Master of G watch. I almost got the Gshock Riesman but I wasn't willing to spend the extra $50 bucks. So I decided to get the Gshock Mudman 9000a. When I got the watch in the mail I was surprised to see it was so small. But after wearing the watch for a couple of days I came to the conclusion its the perfect size. So right out of the box the watch was set to the right time and date. The watch was at a medium charge. I was worried about the bumps underneath the watch rubbing on my wrist. But if you wear the watch no so tight its not a problem. I wore the watch swimming multiple times and had no problems. I also had no problem setting up the watch and going through all the features. I suggest going on YouTube and watching videos if you cant figure out how to use the watch. The watch is a beast. So in conclusion if you're looking for a good Gshock get this one!

Pros
200m water resistant
Atomic time keeping
Looks and feels good

Cons
Countdown timer wont let you go to seconds, only minutes
on February 23, 2010
This is a review after about one month of ownership. And it is exceptional. From a Florida window sill, I have no problem getting the atomic clock setting to function. Also, I have verified with a atomic clock phone application and I have never been out of sync with it more that 1/12 of a second if my phone app is correct. Backlight works great in the dark, and it can be set if you hold your wrist at an angle. My process is slow for learning all the features, but I use the stop watch regularly and had no function problems. There is also a vast array of times available for world cities. And the atomic feature is available for 5 atomic clocks worldwide. One slight difficulty is that I have to push the buttons hard to scroll through the menus which, I consider, is easy to get used to. I hope to update this review on the 'mudman aspect' or after use in more extreme conditions.

Addition to original review:
After traveling to Europe, Germany and Latvia in particular, I can verify that the UK and GE settings both worked in the manual mode. In Florida, I have not been able to get a signal better than L1 or L2 in manual mode. Still probably the best watch that I own.

2015 Update
Have now traveled to Central America and used it with no problem (in Nicaragua). When placed correctly, time is reset nightly. No complaints, great construction, weathers all the elements.