Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 290 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 323 reviews
on March 17, 2016
I bought this Casio GWM530A-1 to replace an old Timex Ironman. This review is based on my first few days of use.

GENERAL: this model uses the Casio 3405 module, which it shares with other G-Shock models. English instructions came with my watch, others have said they needed to download the English instructions, which you can find here: [...]

Key features are solar charging, atomic clock sync, G-Shock build, and 200M/20Bar water resistance (good enough for professional marine activity, surface water sports; not good enough to dive with). This is NOT ISO 6425 certified as a "dive" watch. Some reviews suggest this is not as waterproof as the marketing suggests. To be safe, consider not pressing buttons underwater.

BUILD: solid - built like a tank. It has more heft than the Ironman. My Ironman had a 38mm diameter case, the GWM530A is about 46mm. As G-Shock watches go, this is actually on the smaller side (I looked at another model that had multiband WaveCeptor / Tough Solar and it was a whopping 53mm). This watch is about a centimeter thick - don't expect to slide this under fitted dress-shirt cuffs. This is the largest watch I own, and probably the largest I can pull off without looking ridiculous. For comparison, my daily dress watch is a 42mm automatic on a NATO strap. The case is chunky, dense. I like the aesthetic and the three mini-indicator circles. Not quite as retro as some of the other G-Shock watches. The indicators are, from left to right, a seconds counter, a solar charge indicator, and a multi-purpose indicator with six segments:

1) SIG - tells you if the hourly time signal is on or off
2) ALM - tells you if any of the 4 one-time alarms is currently on
3) SNZ - tells you if the 5th "snooze" alarm is on (an alarm that can be suppressed for 5 minutes at a time)
4) AutoEL - feature to automatically illuminate the face when you tilt the watch face to 40 degrees from level to view it in the dark
5) MUTE - tells you if button press "mute" is on - when off, there's a chirp when you switch modes (bottom left button).
6) DST - tells you if daylight savings time is on / off

The strap is dense, premolded (the watch won't lie flat on a table) and appears to have strong mounts/screws to the lugs. Two slightly-recessed buttons per side that sit just below the edge of the case. I really like that they're recessed by about 1mm - it avoids accidental button-presses, which was a problem I had with my Timex whenever I extended my wrist.

FEATURES:
ToughSolar - the watch arrived partially charged. Needs a day in bright sunlight to get to "high", but once there will typically keep the charge. It will charge in cloudy light / incandescent / fluorescent bulb light, but more slowly. Charge can be assessed at a glance by looking at the middle circular indicator, which is divided into 3 zones (high, med, low). The watch has a power saving mode that you can turn on/off. In PS mode, the display will turn off when it's dark and the radio for atomic clock syncing will also turn off. I keep PS turned on, but it's never kicked in since my charge has never fallen below "medium".

WaveCeptor - Casio's name for atomic clock time syncing. There are 6 atomic clock signals across the world that this will sync with. These clocks are accurate to within 1 second every million years. So, you know, probably good enough for whatever you're doing. The one for US / North America is in Fort Collins, Colorado. There's one in China, two in Japan, one in Germany, one in the UK. As long as you're within 1500km (about 900 miles) from the European or Asian clocks, or within 3000km (about 1900 miles) from the US clock, it should sync. I am in the mid-atlantic / Delaware Valley on the east cost of the US, and it will sync fine when I put the watch by the window overnight. The watch shows the strength of the signal (L1 = weak, L2 = med, L3 = strong). I get L3 if I position it just right. You can either set the time manually or have it automatically fetch from the atomic clock. You can also manually fetch the atomic time (like, when you first get the watch). It will automatically poll the atomic clock up to 5 times at night, until its successful. The scheduled times for N. America are between 12am and 5am. Lots of reviews indicate people have issues with syncing, but Casio is very clear about why syncing works better in some circumstances than others. All I can recommend is that, if you're having trouble, you systematically go through the steps in the manual.

EL and AutoEL - the "G" button at the bottom of the face turns on the electroluminescent backlight for either 1 or 3 seconds (you choose the duration). In addition, there's an autoEL mode where, when it's dark, the gesture of moving the watch face from level to tilted by 40 degrees (basically, the gesture of tilting your wrist to see the face) will turn on the backlight. This is a very intuitive and useful feature!

Timekeeping Mode - it's a watch with AM/PM, h/m/s, month, date, and day indicator. Because of the atomic clock function, it automatically deals with leap year as well as daylight savings time (which you can also manually override). First step when you get the watch is to specify your home time zone. Also recall that the time syncs to atomic clocks between midnight and 5am. That means if the set time is way off when you get the watch, it won't sync (it will poll the atomic clock at the wrong times of day, when signal is weakest). That means you may have to manually set the time when you first get the watch, just to get it to poll the atomic clock correctly. Pressing the bottom right button toggles between either showing the date/day or a secondary time zone (world time) at the bottom of the display. Left circular indicator is a seconds indicator with 10 segments. The circle counts up 10 seconds then counts down 10 seconds. So it's a relatively easy way to visually divide a minute in multiples of 10 or 20 seconds. That being said, I don't use this indicator much.

World Time Mode - great feature. With one button press, you can switch to world time mode. The right 2 buttons move you from timezone to timezone. Up is westward, down is eastward. You can also manually set/override daylight savings time in world time mode.

Alarm Mode - individually set up to 5 alarms per day: four one-time alarms, and one "snooze" alarm. The alarm isn't super loud - don't count on this to wake you from a deep sleep.

Stopwatch mode - standard stopwatch with start, stop, split, restart, and clear.

Timer / Countdown - set a countdown timer in hours/ minutes up to 24hrs. You can't set a timer for less than a minute, in case that's an important feature you need.

SUMMARY:
This is my first G-Shock. I got this for less than $90, about twice what I paid for my Timex Ironman. But it's an amazing value - you never have to change the battery (eventually, you might have to replace the rechargeable battery), you never have to set the time/date/DST, you don't even have to press a button to view the time in the dark. Very high quality build and feels more solid/hefty than the Ironman. I think it's at the sweet spot for size at 46mm diameter - totally useable as a daily beater, not too flashy, looks dressy enough for work. If you're looking for a full-featured, shockproof, waterproof watch with solar charging / atomic syncing, consider this one.
on July 27, 2016
I bought this G-shock after I broke my other one while trying to change the battery. What sucks is I didn't even buy the right battery! Anyways, screw battery changing. That's why I bought this solar-powered version. I also love atomic watches, and all of my Casio's have been on point with my computer time. This one always seems to get a pretty good signal, too, unlike the last one I had. It was even able to get a signal in the prison I used to work at. That being said, I've had this watch a few years now, and it's been through my correctional officer days, all through nursing school, and now as a RN. I'm not sure I could recommend a better watch for the price. It's probably even better than my $400 Seiko. $90 may seem like a lot for a watch for many people (I think I got it for $60 here on Amazon), but I have put this watch through a beating and have never had anything that has held up like this has.
on September 30, 2016
It's a really nice watch overall. The band is comfortable, the backlight works well (it's a green color), the solar panel charged up the battery right away, and it updates the time with the atomic clock nearly every night.

One drawback is circles on the face, which are minimally useful, and can cast a small shadow on the time digits depending on the angle. This can be an issue when combined with the design of the digits; the "7" digit has a very short top line and it can run into the shadow. Let me be clear, this is not a major problem, and I can't think of many situations when you'd confuse 7:00 with 1:00, but it's still not optimal in my opinion.

Overall though it's a quality watch!
review image
on January 4, 2017
I have one of the early Casio solar atomic watches - have had it for probably 10 years - and it's still going strong! I just can't kill it. It is, however, showing its age..... scattered scratches, the dial colors have faded and I've had to replace the band once. When my wife asked what I wanted for Christmas - a new Casio solar atomic timepiece was near the top of my list. After much self debate - I settled on this model. It is about as classy as a plastic digital watch can get - sleek and unobtrusive. The solar charging and the daily automatic atomic clock calibration are features that Casio seems to do better than any other brand. The dial face has shrunk a bit compared to my old model and the lettering on the face is a bit harder to read for these old eyes - so I docked it 1-star. I'll still use my old Casio as my "work" watch - and reserve this pretty new one for nights out on the town and such.
on January 9, 2017
Nice looking watch. Love the solar power function. I simply set the watch in window for an afternoon and the watch went to "high". Received the watch unbelievably fast, and it was already charged to medium and was set to my city. Great service Amazon!
Have not yet figured out how to set correct mode to receive an atomic setting. Oh well.
One issue is the 3 small displays at top of watch face are incredibly difficult to see
EDIT: 1/19/17 I had set the watch to auto receive the atomic time. Just checked it this evening, and found that it had auto updated today. It was the first time I had checked to determine if auto reception worked. I was both delighted and surprised that it had worked. I live in southeastern Pennsylvania, so I didn't expect that function to work. It was just setting on my bed all night, not even in a window, and it was a cloudy night. Cool Beans!
on May 22, 2017
This is my second of the exact watch! I don't remember when I bought the first one. So long ago it's no longer on my orders list! :-)

The whole time I had the first one it had ALWAYS been accurate as compared to the online "atomic clock" and everything else! The band broke and the face is scratched, so time to get another. Like the lady said, go with what you know!!!

'Bout the only thing the first time user has to deal with is when the watch is not being moved around the numerals will go away. Just shake it or press the light button. It will also go blank at 2a.m. as it corrects itself. Again, press the light button. I have never replaced the battery on the first one, so this one should last forever or as long as I don't break something.
on June 21, 2017
I've been pretty much wearing this watch every day for 3 years now. For a G-shock, this watch is very simple. But I love that it is solar, atomic, and that it shows the date on the front. I've never had an issue with this watch and I have been VERY hard on it. I've taken it diving. I work in the woods with it on (cutting down trees, splitting wood, etc). I work in a factory and it's constantly hitting stuff. Never had an issue. Of the watches in my collection, if I could only have one, this would be it. When I first bought it, it had obviously been sitting in a warehouse somewhere because it was dead and took some time to charge enough for me to use. About a week after buying it, I wore it during a week long event that I spend all day outside. Since that week 3 years ago, the battery level has always showed being full battery. So it hasn't even come close to running out.
on February 4, 2017
Had quite a few Ironmen in my life. Don't really need splits, best lap anymore. Don't do speed work or have to know mile splits in races. Since I had both knees replaced within the last six months, no more competition, just jogging or biking. I have broken watches changing batteries in the past and that's over now. I have a Citizen Eco Drive dress watch and now this one for everyday use. No more batteries and they both set time every night with Colorado Springs. That's why I give it a five star. If I was still running competitively and doing track workouts, I would not have chosen this watch.
on November 4, 2015
I have been a loyal G-shock fan for over 15-years now so I am pretty biased towards them but they have never failed me.

Now that solar/atomic watches are affordable for the mainstream masses, this is one of the best contenders.

Firstly, this watch looks so much better in person. The dull gray in pictures is actually a metallic gunmetal sheen. The solar function works phenomenally. The best part is that you don't know it's even there. Not once have I ever seen the power indicator move from "HIGH" despite working the night shift at work. Although I do continually keep it on Power Saver mode and I do live in sunny San Diego.

Now to the cons. The end of the strap without the clasp has a lip to it to keep the loop in place. Unfortunately, this lip isn't nearly large enough as it comes off every once in a while - more often than I'd like. This is its biggest downfall.

Other minor cons to this watch are very minor. The watch updates atomically about once or twice a week for me, sometimes longer - it's supposed to do it every night. However, this is very minor as the watch is very accurate to begin with so having it perfectly synced every day of the year is nice but not necessary.

Lastly, this is more of a lack of user knowledge but I was under the impression that the watch would adjust itself automatically when you jump from time zone to time zone. This is not the case.
on February 23, 2017
I have been buying and wearing Casio G-Shock watches for years. In the past I have had the battery operated type and this model is the first Casio Solar watch I've owned. Setting up was easy but confusing since several features as described in the instruction book did not work as described. Also, no matter how long I hold the watch under strong lighting, the power indicator does not move from Medium power to high power. I'm wondering if I have a copy that is not working as it should. The Atomic time keeping feature does seem to work as it should.