Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Shop Popular Services _ros _ros _ros  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Paul McCartney Shop Now STEM

Showing 1-10 of 583 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 633 reviews
on February 1, 2016
The direct descendent of the original Casio G-Shock that was released in 1983 is the GW-5000, which is available as an import from Japan. This GW-M5610 is a first cousin of that pricier watch and it carries on the tradition of tough square G-Shocks. What you lose from the GW-5000 is the stainless steel case with a screwed-down back whereas the GW-M5610 has a resin case with a stainless steel back plate held down with four screws. Both watches have identical features including solar charging, atomic time synchronization, World Time, four daily alarms with snooze function, a countdown timer, a stopwatch, and electroluminescent illumination that can be automatically engaged with the movement of your wrist in a dark environment. The GW-M5610 gets a red surround and white, blue, and yellow writing on the face which makes it a little busier aesthetically than more monochromatic versions of the 5000 and 5600 series.

The first thing I noticed about the watch is how much smaller, thinner, and lighter it is compared to round G-Shock versions I own. It is an excellent choice to wear under long sleeves and jackets because it easily fits underneath them with minimal interference. I will be using this watch in the winter months for daily wear due to its sleek profile. The second thing of note is the crisp clarity of the numbers in the positive LCD screen. It surpasses my Casio Pro-Trek PRW-3500 in regards to off-axis legibility even though the Pro-Trek’s digits are 50% larger than the GW-M5610’s. I am really impressed with how good this watch’s display is.

I find the strap fits comfortably on my 7-1/2 inch wrist. The light weight makes me forget that I am even wearing a watch at all. Contrary to the dozens of complaints from previous owners here on Amazon, my auto backlight function works perfectly fine even though I leave it shut off in order to conserve power. My watch was manufactured on January 8, 2015 so maybe Casio has finally fixed the issue with faulty backlight switches. There are several one star reviews of this watch here because of this issue and I honestly cannot understand how one can downgrade the rating of the entire watch due to one feature that most G-Shock users end up turning off anyway. The auto backlight duration unfortunately is not adjustable like my Pro-Trek and Gulfmaster. I would prefer the ability to lengthen it from 1 second to 3, but this is a minor nit.

The function buttons are all recessed into a protective niche on the side of the case so pressing them only works for me when I use the tip of a fingernail. Action is positive and appropriate for the pressing force I apply. The World Time, stop watch, and timer functions all work like other Casio digital watches and are intuitively accessed with mode button. The one complaint I do have is that the volume of the alarm signal is very weak and probably would not wake a person from a deep sleep. If Amazon’s star rating system would allow it, I would subtract a half star for this and would suggest not relying on this watch for important wake-ups and instead using the alarm from dedicated alarm clock or smart phone. Note that this isn’t any different than the other Casio solar-charged watches, so it may be a function of reduced battery capacity.

My watch arrived from Amazon with the power reserve showing at the Medium level. I put it out in the sun for about 30 minutes and the reading went to High. I set my home city, clicked Daylight Savings Time to the automatic setting, and synched the watch to the atomic clock signal in Ft. Collins without any trouble. Each evening just after midnight it synchs automatically so the watch always has an accurate time reading. I’ve had no issues with not receiving the signal but then again I live in a state bordering Colorado and all my atomic watches synch each day without fail.

This watch is a great heir to the spirit of the original G-Shock. It wears small and comfortably on the wrist, is tough as nails, cost about one-third of what the GW-5000 does, has the accuracy of atomic synching, should run for a decade or more on the original solar battery (note that all solar watches will need to have the rechargeable battery replaced as some time in their lives), and has a very clear and legible display.

As a long-time G-Shock owner, I have previously been drawn to only the round case models. I find it remarkable that after finally taking the plunge with this square case GW-M5610 that I have been absolutely delighted by this watch. It’s certainly not very flashy and has a nerdy charm of its own. No one in going to compliment you on it, but that’s all part of the fun of being a G-Shock fan. I now regret taking so long to come around to the Square Side and can recommend this watch most highly.
review image
on December 11, 2012
I admit it - I love casio watches, particularly the square faced ones. I've been trying to get one in this style with the Multi-band 6 for a while now, and am excited to finally have found one at a (very) reasonable price.

I had read some reviews that had concern for the solar battery life, and having worn this for the past 2 months, I can say i've had no battery issues and have had to make no special arrangements to make certain it is charged. It's chilly here, so i'm often wearing a coat outside and a jacket at my desk, but the watch still indicates that the battery charge is "high".

The multiband-6 timekeeping is revolutionary, to me at least. I work in an IT environment, and it's helpful to know that my watch is in sync with all of my servers that use NTP (which distributes atomic level timekeeping over IP networks). I love knowing that even though i haven't had to dial WWV in Colorado (or listen to them on shortwave) to check my watch time, it's perfectly in sync, or reasonably so even if it hasn't synced that morning.

That said, I don't get perfect reception of the signal in my house. It seems to do better in some positions and some rooms better than others. That means that if it lays on its face on my nighstand, or falls on the floor, it might not get the sync signal. You might also have problems in hotel rooms.

The other feature of casio watches that i really appreciate is the World Time reading. I routinely work with teams across the globe, and it's handy to just press 1 button twice on my watch to see the date / time in their zone.

Overall, if you're looking for a casual but feature filled daily-wearer, this is an excellent choice. I have even been known to use it to time my coffee / tea brewing.
on June 13, 2012
This is a fantastic, durable, and very featured watch. The watch is fantastic for everyday use and is durable enough for heavy stress outdoor activities. I love the fact that it is solar charged, and can set itself from its atomic frequency.

All features listed are incredibly easy to learn and use. The watch allows you to set it once and most likely never do anything with it ever again besides put it on. The watch will set itself charge its own battery and can correct day light savings and understand leap year. It is also fantastic knowing it is a G-Shock and you can trust that it will never become damaged because of wear and tear.

On the note of the G-Shock and its durability. This is my second purchase of the same watch due to my cockiness in showing off its durability to my friends. In an attempt to explain to them that the watch is virtually indestructible, I catapulted it some 15 ft away with my lacrosse stick at a concrete surface and needless to say that was the end of my watch. This watch will never break, if you leave it on your wrist! TAKE MY MISFORTUNE AS A LESSON!
66 comments| 75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 9, 2017
I really like this watch. The retro look combined with the modern innovation of being solar power is a great blend of classic design merged with modern technology.

What appealed to me about this watch is that it was designed for purely practical and pragmatic reasons, but also the history behind its previous descendants. This model is based on the DW-5600C-1V, the same watch worn by Keanu Reeves in the movie 'Speed', but more impressively, the watch was approved for NASA space missions.

Although this G Shock isn't the DW-5600C-1V, it is a modern upgrade replete with the same qualities which made it so robust.

The watch itself was delivered quickly by Amazon to Australia. Setting up the time was a simple process, and because I have small wrists, I find the bigger G Shocks tend to be a bit big on the wrists and get in the way a bit, this watch however is a good size.

The most impressive thing is the atomic time keeping function of this watch. Currently living in Australia, I am unfortunately unable to take advantage of this feature, however, being someone who travels a lot, I will be taking advantage of this option.

I also constantly use the auto-illumination option, as I am a nurse who frequently works night shifts, this feature is great for keeping time in a dimly lit ward. A simple tilt of my wrist at a 30 degree angle illuminates the time.

Most importantly though, the reason I bought this watch is due to its robustness. This watch will hold up just as well as some of the more expensive G Shocks out there. Being solar powered, I will only have to change the batteries every 10 years or so, not potentially every 2.

A great buy, a great watch made by a reliable company.
review image review image review image
on July 31, 2015
Ok, I just got this watch today. I ordered it a couple days ago but I had been watching it for about a week. From that time until the day I purchased it, there was a warning on the main page of this watches' ad that warned potential buyers that the tilt function was faulty but Amazon was looking into it. Read any recent reviews and you will get what I am talking about. The day I ordered this watch, the warning was gone and the seller who was going to handle any orders for Amazon while the problem was being investigated was also missing. When Amazon started reselling this watch, the price dropped about ten dollars from when I put it in my watch list. 'Imagine that.

When I received the watch, it was in a box which held a tin and the usual manuals and warranty stuff. Funny, the tin is shaped like a hexagon and the lid is reminiscent of the old screw down case backs that were my favorite years ago but Casio did away with them. The watch was what I expected when I removed it from the tin- Awesome! Nevertheless I wanted to test the tilt function first so I pushed and held the A, B, and C buttons. TILT was displayed in the upper right hand corner and then moving it in a fashion as if you were looking at the time in the dark, it displayed 88 88. This means the function is operational. Note, I did NOT have the Auto EL function activated when I checked the TILT function but a properly functioning watch will display TILT and 88 88 with A EL on or off (I checked them both). Finally, a similar sequence of button pushes can also check the display and the solar cell.

In normal operation the Auto EL works fine. The solar cell had the battery charged from M to H in about ten minutes of direct sunlight. The watch is smaller and lighter than my DW 5600E but only by a fraction of each. To quantify, my 5600 weighs 54 grams and this 5610 weighs 49 grams. The case is matte, the module is 3159, and the case back has Made in Thailand etched. The etching is not as deep as other case backs but it is not a big deal. The numbers are slightly bigger and the date box is pixelated for higher resolution. These are nice additions.

Now on to my gripes. In the stopwatch and countdown functions, the time is not displayed in the upper right hand corner. I think this is an "upgrade" from the GWM5600. The countdown timer can not be programmed for less than a minute. The watch band is slightly smaller than its predecessors. Overall this watch feels slightly cheaper than previous G-Shocks.

Despite my gripes, this is a great watch. I want something I can wear everyday, it can take abuse, it has the basic functions, it has atomic timekeeping, and is solar recharged. This watch fits these criteria.
on March 10, 2017
I have had the watch for 2 months now, and it has become my new daily driver.

I was daily-ing larger G Shocks for the past several years, and the GW is the right size for daily wear. I don't have to worry about nicking the bezel or scratching the face, this thing is built to last. Thats why I love Casios, and G Shocks specifically.

The buttons can be fussy to press at first, but once you get used to it, you appreciate it for the directness and purpose of the design.

The timekeeping is great, I have a watch stand that overnight, it syncs about 70% of the nights it is there, either at 12:04am, 1:04am, or 2:04am. Although sometimes if I happen to leave it on the floor in a pile of clothes, it will sync then too. The longest I have gone without a sync is 7 or 8 days.

The powersave mode is not a hassle at all, the watch display will turn right back on as soon as it sees enough light.

If you are even slightly considering buying this watch, go ahead and get it. This watch is tempting me to offload some of my older G Shocks, as they simply do not get as much wear-time now that this watch is doing such a great job for me.

Accurate time, clear date and day, and durable.
on July 9, 2015
I lost total count of how many G-Shock watches I've ever owned, but this is the third one I currently have. My other two are the GW3000BB-1A that I wear for nicer occasions, and the DW5600E-1V that I wear for work. In planning a month long overseas trip with mixed urban and outdoor activities, I wanted a watch that was good looking watch, and also inexpensive so as to not worry about scratching it, losing it, or replacing it.

I'm usually not a fan of big and bulky watches due to having a small (157 mm circumference) wrist. Complicated-looking watches with features/dials/gauges are just silly, especially if they are features I would never use. After owning the GW3000, I really like the atomic solar feature. There are a few other atomic solar G-Shocks on Amazon that are slightly less expensive, but these are the reasons why I chose the GWM5610-1.

Compared to the DW5600, this GWM5610 costs more than twice as much, but I think the GWM5610 is indeed twice as good. As long as you have atomic clock signal reception, you never have to set the time. You can set a second time zone for the world clock. It is not half the weight, nor is twice as durable, but these might be the only areas that the watch is not twice as good as the DW5600.

Setting its time zone was far easier than with the GW3000 due to having a digital display and not having arms which are used to indicate settings and times. With regards to DST selection, this watch allows you to choose between automatic/on/off. Therefore, if you live in Arizona where half the year we are with Mountain Standard and the rest with Pacific Standard, you will have no problems with the GWM5610. Contrary, The GW3000 does not allow you to choose the DST mode, and it automatically selects the DST mode based on the time zone you select. Thus, with the GW3000, I have to change the time zone between LAX and DEN twice a year. Annoyance.

I have not attempted, and I may end up not trying, but because the bezel of this GWM5610 appears identical to the DW5600's, I believe the bezel can be removed and "stealthed." I will probably wear it for a few days and decide if I like it the way it is, or go ahead and stealth it. I think the different colors on the face of the watch complement each other well, and it might look better as is.

Eventually, I may replace the DW5600 with this watch as my work watch. Working in an occupation that requires accurate time for record keeping, the atomic feature would be nice to have. At the moment, readjusting the time on the DW5600 once every other month or so is not a big issue. Perhaps, when the DW5600 breaks (if it ever would), I would replace it with another GWM5610.

There is one issue, and it may be a big issue for you. This watch has an automatic backlight feature that turns the backlight on when in a dark room and when the watch face is tilted from a horizontal position to a minimum of 40 degrees upward (as if you're bringing the watch to your face). The feature is called Auto EL, and it can be turned on and off.

Apparently, many GWM5610 come with defective Auto EL from the factory. You probably saw many reviewers and product question stating this. Many have returned their watch to Amazon only to get another defective watch. These defective units are sold at retailers other than Amazon as well.

My watch is indeed defective. I confirmed this by making sure the watch was charged, and then putting the watch in the tilt sensor test mode (by pressing the A, B, and C buttons simultaneously), and noting that the watch did not sense me tilting it. It will display "8888" if it senses that there is tilting occurring.

I wasn't planning on using the Auto EL feature. I believe I had an old watch decades ago that had this feature, and I didn't find it particularly useful. If the feature was working, I may find it useful at work at night when I'm unable to touch my watch with my fingers. Considering that the watch is solar, battery life is not a concern either. It's pretty cool, again, if it was working.

I don't think I will be asking for a replacement. I am cutting it close to my trip, and may not have enough time to receive a replacement from Amazon. Seeing how many people have received defective watches from recent purchases dating back a few years, I feel that I might get a defective replacement anyway.

Because I'm not horribly heartbroken that the Auto EL does not work, I'm only deducting one star from the review. Again, you may feel that this is a deal breaker.

Links:
My review for the GW3000BB-1A: http://www.amazon.com/review/R3EWELTCRE08Y5/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B004YZIBSK
Amazon's GW3000BB-1A product page: http://amzn.com/B004YZIBSK
Amazon's DW5600E-1V product page: http://amzn.com/B000GAYQKY

__________
Update on 2015/07/17 at 18:39 Arizona Standard Time

Star rating changed from 4 stars to 3 due to receiving three defective watches. I won't be asking for another replacement. I guess I wasn't meant to have Auto EL.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
1010 comments| 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 9, 2017
I absolutely LOVE this watch, and have been wearing it almost every waking hour since I've gotten it. I loved the smaller form factor of my original Casio G-Shock DW-5000, and this matches it almost perfectly. It maintains the same form & fit, but adds to the functionality with the touch solar charging and 6-band time sync. I wasn't originally big on solar charging watches, but - having bought a few solar Casios, and being impressed with their ability to maintain a charge with regular usage (especially their ProTrek watches) - now I'm a convert. After the initial top-up, I've never had problems with any of my Casio watches running low - even in intermittent or artificial light (I sometimes work a night schedule). If you loved the original G-Shock DW-5000 form factor, you'll probably like this as well. It replaces several other VERY good Casio watches as my new EDC watch, and it'll probably even be my field watch most of the time.
review image review image
on June 16, 2015
I used to own the less expensive Casio G-Shock DW5600E-1V, but when I lost the watch while traveling I decided to upgrade to this radio-time, solar-powered model. I was pleasantly surprised when opening the watch. The watch shipped in a quality collector's tin with manual and proof of purchase / warranty card. When I inspected the watch, I found that it was actually higher quality than my old G-Shock. Though the profile of the watch is almost identical, the caseback of the solar-powered model is a higher quality milled stainless steel rather than the flimsier, thinner, stamped stainless steel of the cheaper model. Overall, it seems like a higher quality build that the cheaper G-Shock.

The watch is not in constant communication with the atomic clock, but rather it is set to automatically update its time once per day via radio signals overnight in the middle of the night. When you wake up, you can tell if the watch updated during the previous night because it displays a "REC'D" message on the face of the watch for the next 24 hours. You can also manually command the watch to update its time via radio, turn off automatic updating, or manually change the time yourself.

My biggest disappointment is that the watch does not get adequate reception for the time to automatically reset like it is supposed to. I live in an urban area in the Northeast and keep the watch on my windowsill at night. Only very sporadically does the watch actually show "REC'D" the next morning. Sometimes, enough time passes between updates that the watch time drifts a couple of seconds off. The watch documentation explains that the nearest radio tower is in the middle of the country, so I imagine that it has to do with my distance from the transmitter and the interference found in an urban environment. I have found that when I travel to other parts of the country or to more rural areas with the watch, the time does reset with no problem each night.

There is a H/M/L battery charge indicator on the face of the watch, and in the year that I have owned it, the watch has never sunk beneath H -- and I don't make any special effort to keep it in the sun or anything.

Overall, this is a high quality watch that has served me well for nearly a year, even though I am disappointed in the radio reception issue.
on March 25, 2017
Received the watch about 2 months ago and have been wearing it daily since. The watch came with the battery at H (high) level and moderate daily exposure to flourescent and natural light has kept it that way. It's slim, lightweight, minimalistic in form but very functional. I actually like the retro square look as compared to other larger round g-shock watches.

All functions work as advertised. I use the world time feature to keep track of time in India. The countdown timer and alarms are great too. The Auto EL backlight feature works fine although I keep it turned off. Basic water resistance is tested daily as I shower with the watch on. This also keeps the watch smelling fresh and clean :-)

I live in one of the outer boroughs of NYC. The atomic sync works fine once you find that sweet spot in your home. Had no issues with the recent Spring daylight saving time changeover. For me it is a window with a West/Southwest view towards the signal source in Fort Collins, Colorado. The watch usually (90%+ of the time) syncs on the first try at midnight and is done by 12:04am but if I forget to put the watch on the windowsill I can get it to sync at a few other places in the house. It's a great feature as I would never be able to sync with time.gov by myself with that accuracy.

The only issues I have with the watch is that the backlight is too short and the chime/alarm sound is too soft. I appreciate that the watch electronics are well protected with the g-shock tech so that's most likly why the sounds are soft. Although the buttons are a little hard to press, I don't press them often enough for it to be a problem. It's better than the alternative of the buttons not being recessed and being accidentally pressed throughout the day.
review image review image